The Computer Questions Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

The Computer Questions Thread

Postby Yoshi » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:17 am

I figure I'll give this a shot. Basically, if you've got any computer questions that you don't think warrant their own thread just ask them here and I (And others!) will do our best to answer them. Doesn't matter whether it's hardware or software.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Re: The Computer Questions Thread

Postby Sentios » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:07 am

How to change my IP... I have Time Warner which from what I've been able to find should be dynamic. Unfortunately simply disconnecting my modem for 24 hours was not enough to release the IP and since my phone is also tied to the modem any longer than that is simply impossible.

I've not contacted Time Warner as I've been lead to believe that they won't actually handle this kind of matter, something about them only being responsible for making sure I have working internet.

I should mention I have a Linksys router which will complicate matters I'm sure...
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Yoshi » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:51 am

Ah, unfortunately, that sort of thing is handled by your ISP. If they say they won't handle it/care then you're pretty much stuffed. There's two types of IPs: Internal, and external.

Internal is what your network is reporting when you click properties (192.168.0.x usually). This is what your modem dishes to your machine.

External is what your ISP gives your modem and what you get identified by on the net.

If your IP is not switching by turning off the modem and then back on and your ISP doesn't care then you're screwed, I'm afraid.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave

Postby Sentios » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:53 am

I figured, I've not contacted the ISP yet since I want to deal with all possibilities I can do on my end first...

Postby Grey » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:19 am

my email account has been phished
i just found out i've been trying to sell my contact list ipods
i've run a virus scan and changed my password but i dont know if there's anything else i need to do
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Yoshi » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:10 am

Nope. Just run the usual spyware clean-up (Spybot, Malware Bytes and so on) and change your password. If it was simply phishing then changing your password should of fixed it. Hopefully.

That's pretty much all you can do.
" ~ Dave

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:44 am

I'm stumped trying to crack Maya 2008... the instructions for the FLEXM setup had bad grammar.

Does anyone know how to setup the FLEXLM?
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby zepherin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:28 pm

I can't find 64 bit Win7 drivers for a wireless network card. I would like to believe this is because linksys is crap and didn't make 64 bit drivers for the product and not that I am too retarded to find the drivers.
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WMP54G
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Coos » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:37 pm

Lol, I made a related thread before seeing this XD. Good thing I deleted that and now I can ask here :D

Anyways:

Yaaaay, more computer issues.

Recently I just got over the infamous Vista AntiVirus 2010, because my Spy Sweeper programs expired for a few days and we had nothing protecting us. After renewing my Trend Micro, I was able to remove VAV.
-Restarted Computer-
Computer's back to normal, but..nothing will open. every .exe I try to open sends me to the Open With window, where it makes me look for programs I dont know where the executables are half the time :D. Note that, the "Make this my choice everytime" checkbox is disabled. Even after I find the right executable, it doesnt open. To open, I have to right click and "Run as Administrator". Also, some programs make the claim that they were uninstalled or dont exist. One is the Microsoft Works Word Processor. I know 150% that it's on my computer, but the Open With doesnt find it and I cant run it as Admin either.
Anyone know the solution? I went to the Control Panel and did Set Associations stuff, but it doesnt show anything for .exe's. Any info would be much appreciated C:

Postby Yoshi » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:02 pm

zepherin wrote:I can't find 64 bit Win7 drivers for a wireless network card. I would like to believe this is because linksys is crap and didn't make 64 bit drivers for the product and not that I am too retarded to find the drivers.

Tried this? There are no 64-bit drivers for that card, but that work-around seems to do the trick.

Coos wrote:Recently I just got over the infamous Vista AntiVirus 2010, because my Spy Sweeper programs expired for a few days and we had nothing protecting us. After renewing my Trend Micro, I was able to remove VAV.
-Restarted Computer-
Computer's back to normal, but..nothing will open. every .exe I try to open sends me to the Open With window, where it makes me look for programs I dont know where the executables are half the time :D. Note that, the "Make this my choice everytime" checkbox is disabled. Even after I find the right executable, it doesnt open. To open, I have to right click and "Run as Administrator". Also, some programs make the claim that they were uninstalled or dont exist. One is the Microsoft Works Word Processor. I know 150% that it's on my computer, but the Open With doesnt find it and I cant run it as Admin either.
Anyone know the solution? I went to the Control Panel and did Set Associations stuff, but it doesnt show anything for .exe's. Any info would be much appreciated C:

Antivirus 2009 (Or whatever else they've labelled it as) is a pain, because even when you remove it, it can still have side effects on your registry and permissions, and all sorts of other stuff.

Unfortunately, if your executables are not running or are up and screwy as they are you may want to reformat. Even though Anti-whatever is gone there's no way to tell if there's still something behind the scenes. Trend will not pick up everything.

That being said, your best course here is to: Run Spybot and Malware Bytes in safe-mode. Clean everything you can. Fully update and immunise and everything. Set both to scan at start up at least one time as well (Not the same start up, though!).

If you're still having issues then create a new user account. If that one has the same issues then you will need to do a backup and repair install, or a format. If the new one is fine then it's just that profile. Move all your stuff over and delete the old one.

I'm stumped trying to crack Maya 2008... the instructions for the FLEXM setup had bad grammar.

Does anyone know how to setup the FLEXLM?

No experience with Maya unfortunately, and my cracking ability is quite a few years out of date. Sorry.
" ~ Dave

Postby Coos » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:42 pm

Aaaah whata drag.
Mom wants to send it in so they can check it out (not to Geek Squad thank CHRIST).
If they say Format as well, then I'll just let them format. I has no CD for format.

Postby zepherin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:34 pm

Yoshi wrote:
zepherin wrote:I can't find 64 bit Win7 drivers for a wireless network card. I would like to believe this is because linksys is crap and didn't make 64 bit drivers for the product and not that I am too retarded to find the drivers.

Tried this? There are no 64-bit drivers for that card, but that work-around seems to do the trick.

I will try it in a couple days. I am in Denver till Teus because my flight back to DC is canceled and I'm on xp with my laptop.
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:37 am

How can i make the timeline jump to a random frame and play from there on using Actionscript 2.0 in flash 8?
Patt-Ytto Productions | Dickwaffles

Postby Yoshi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:20 am

this.gotoAndPlay(frame)? I've not used Actionscript for a while, but I believe that does it. Just make it in the appropriate event.
" ~ Dave

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:45 am

RANDOM frame.
Patt-Ytto Productions | Dickwaffles

Postby Yoshi » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:32 am

Oh. Random.

Maybe:
Code: Select all
x = a + Math.floor(Math.random()*(b-a+1));
this.gotoAndPlay(x);

Where a would be lowest (1) and b is whatever limit you want to make it to (Say, final frame number for all).

Edit: Alternatively, if Flash numbers frames from 0 to k (I dunno the system) then substitute the first line for just:
x = Math.random()*b;
" ~ Dave

Postby ninnypants » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Probably still need the floor since random is between 0 and 1
var b = timeline._totalframes;
var x = Math.floor(Math.random()*b);
Administrator

Postby Mathias » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:34 pm

How do I set all program windows to open maximized?

Postby Wizard » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:28 pm

I have 220 GB available in my HD. I've got about 50 GBs of music, maybe 1 GB of pictures, and around 5 GB of videos. I don't have any games or anything like that on it, either. Yet, I only have about 2 GB left.

Where the hell has all my space gone?

Postby Sentios » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 pm

http://tweaknow.com/download/RegCleaner.exe

This has a Disk Usage Analyzer in it. It should give you an idea of what's eating your space

This isn't 100% it's just a general idea.

Postby zepherin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:06 am

Wizard wrote:I have 220 GB available in my HD. I've got about 50 GBs of music, maybe 1 GB of pictures, and around 5 GB of videos. I don't have any games or anything like that on it, either. Yet, I only have about 2 GB left.

Right click your windows folder and click properties. Do the same with program files and documents and settings. Also see if you have the full drive partitioned. If only part of the drive is partitioned it will only show that part.

Postby Yoshi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:45 am

Mathias wrote:How do I set all program windows to open maximized?

Right click shortcut -> Properties -> Run: Maximised
No way to universally set every program to do this with one setting though, sorry.

Wizard wrote:I have 220 GB available in my HD. I've got about 50 GBs of music, maybe 1 GB of pictures, and around 5 GB of videos. I don't have any games or anything like that on it, either. Yet, I only have about 2 GB left.

Off-hand? I would say System Restore took up a large chunk. My Windows folder (On a nearly fresh install) is sitting at about 11GB, too.

The correct answer is to use a Disk Analyser program such as WinDirStat and sort by size/usage. So, what Sentios said. Or Zeph, if you want to do it the long way.
" ~ Dave

Postby Mathias » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:50 am

Yoshi wrote:
Mathias wrote:How do I set all program windows to open maximized?

Right click shortcut -> Properties -> Run: Maximised
No way to universally set every program to do this with one setting though, sorry.

Thanks!

Now what's the best way to convert QuickTime music files to Windows Media Player? It says .m4p is the extension.

Postby Spoopy Princess » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:53 am

My laptop fan makes a really loud whirring sound occasionally. What's wrong with it, and how much is it to be replaced, if need be.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Whatbutt: She's got enough tea to throw into a harbor and start another revolution.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Icha » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:10 pm

Stufflikehearts wrote:My laptop fan makes a really loud whirring sound occasionally. What's wrong with it, and how much is it to be replaced, if need be.

Isn't it usually just if your laptop is doing something a bit of heavy work? Or its reading a CD?
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion