K. Here it is. (And I wasn't joking when I said it was detailed).
Doctor Who – Defenders of Earth
>>>…Subwave network fully operational…<<<
>>>…Transmitting in…3 …2…1…0<<<
“Hello there, sorry to barge in like this! Please don’t adjust your screen or walk away, there’s no cause for alarm. I’ve probably just hijacked your TV screen, computer, or communications device through a rather clever system a friend of mine set up, called the Subwave network – which I’ve just fixed and improved on with the help of this [holds up a metallic pen-like device with a glowing blue tip]. Yeah, sorry about that. Hope I didn’t interrupt anything important.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I’m the Doctor…And this is going to sound odd, but I need your help…”
The Story/Set up
It’s Earth, present day. You are going about your ordinary life, when something unusual happens. A man with brown messy hair and wearing a brown pin-stripe suit appears on the screen of your TV, computer, or any other electronic device with speakers that you happen to have. As surprised as you might be to have a strange man suddenly appear on your screen, and as crazy as it sounds, you find yourself listening to what he’s telling you.
The man explains that his name is the Doctor. He’s a traveller, he travels through time and space, and he’s seen things you can’t even begin to imagine. He’s not human – he is from an ancient race known as the Time lords – more specifically he’s the last of the Time lords. His home planet and all his people were wiped out during the Great Time War – a war in which his people fought against a race called the Daleks…and lost. Everyone lost.
But that’s not important now, he tells you. Your world is in danger; your very existence is in danger. That theory about parallel words? That’s all true. There are worlds parallel to yours – and in between the different worlds is something called ‘The Void’. The Void is, well, a void – it is a place of nothingness, nothing can exist in there. It acts as a wall between the different worlds, keeping them separate from each other. But the Doctor has reason to believe there might be something out there in the void, beyond your or his comprehension…something that is trying to break through the void and into this world. He doesn’t know what it is or what it’s capable of. But if it’s powerful enough to break through the walls of reality, and break out of the void, then it can’t be good news. And that’s not all. Whatever that thing it is, it’s doing damage. Holes are appearing in the fabric of reality, and rifts in time and space are becoming more common, more active…other life forms are slipping through from one world to the next. Some of them are harmless – but some of them want nothing better than to destroy and conquer over all.
Normally the Doctor would be out there, trying to sort this mess out. However he has some problems of his own. It appears someone or something doesn’t want him interfering, because he’s been teleported to an unknown location and held prisoner (which seems to happen to him quite a lot, actually).
And this is where you come in. He can handle whatever problems he faces from his mysterious captors – but in the meantime someone needs to defend the Earth (and indeed the universe) from whatever sinister forces the void is letting through.
But how can you help? You don’t know anything about these creatures or how to stop them, surely? And why you? Why has this ‘Doctor’, whoever he is, decided to give you this responsibility?
It’s almost as if the Doctor can hear you, because the next thing he says is this: Sometime, in your future, something inexplicable is going to happen. You’re going to meet a man, just like him, called the Doctor, and you are going to help him defeat and fight whatever alien threat is at hand. And some of you may even get the chance to travel with him for a while. That’s why he knows you’re capable of this task. Because he’s seen what you can do, in your future…“And you’re brilliant,” he tells you with a grin. Even if you’re not sure of yourself, the Doctor is. Of course, you might already be certain you can do this. You might have done battle with aliens before. In which case, good on you! He knows he can count on each and everyone of you – oh yes, don’t worry, you’re not alone. The Doctor has sent this message out to quite a number of ‘future companions’…and some past companions too. The more help, the better.
Don’t worry about the details for now, the Doctor adds. He’ll be sending you more information soon. For now he gives you the code for the Sub wave network – all you need to do is use that code like you would with an email address or phone number, and it will put you through to him.
“So what d’you think? Are you up for it?” the Doctor finally asks you, looking directly into the screen, as if he can see you. “'Cause if you are then I should warn you, you're gonna see all sorts of things. It won’t be quiet, it won’t be safe and it won’t be calm. But I tell you what it will be...A trip of a lifetime! Because you might see anything. You could find new worlds, terrifying monsters, impossible things. And if you reply to this message...
Nothing will ever be the same again.”
>>>…End of Transmission…<<<
About the RP
Well, you’ve probably guessed it. This is a Doctor Who style RP, based on the Sci-fi Tv series. (This RP is predictable coming from me, I know, but hey…)
I don’t know how many people are interested in Dr Who, but that’s why I’m posting this on the ideas board - to find out.
As the story suggests, this is an RP where you (yes you), get the chance to help out the Doctor and become his companion (or Ally). You'll be working with the Doctor's former companions, as well as the likes of Torchwood, in order to defend the Earth. OC’s who haven’t met the Doctor before the RP starts are highly encouraged, so this will be good for people who are not completely familiar with the show to join in too, since you as the Roleplayer will get a chance to learn about the Doctor who universe at the same time your character learns about it. Obviously, it will still help if you know a bit about Dr Who first =P
Hang on, the Doctor who Universe is huge! How do you plan to fit it into a manageable RP?
It’s an RP based within the confinements of the New revived series. That covers the series from the Ninth Doctor all the way up to the present. The spin-off show ‘Torchwood’ will also be reasonably involved (at least it will be to start off with); however Doctor Who will still remain the central focus.
- Since the Doctor Who universe is so massively huge, this RP will be restricted to the New series only. I might put in a few ‘guest star NPCs’ from the classic series if I feel like it, but for the moment, it’s strictly the Christopher Eccleston- David Tennant Era of Dr Who only. Just to keep things more simple and understandable.
Also, although this RP is based on the Tv show, I will be making some minor changes for the convenience of the RP. So if you know the Tv show well, don’t be surprised if during the Rp you find yourself thinking ‘hang on, that shouldn’t be there’, ‘What happened to that? That wasn’t in the Tv show’ or ‘Isn’t that character supposed to be dead at the time this RP is set?’ – it’s not going to be without good reason, usually this will be to make the RP more interesting, add a few more twists, or just to make things more simple/convenient.
- This RP is set (for the characters that are playing), in the present day, and all players will start the RP somewhere on Earth, present day. Again, this is just so as not to over complicate things – the element of Time-travel in this RP is going to be severely restricted for this reason as well. (Although time travel will still exist in there.)
- Of course, the characters have to meet up at some point – and there will be certain locations they will travel to in order for this to happen. Typically this will be either Cardiff, in Wales, or London, in England. (You have the BBC to thank for this wonderful and interesting variety of locations.) You characters don’t have to start here, they can start from any part of the world – but these locations are where they will eventually end up. (I’ll arrange all that as part of the plot, don’t worry). They will also get the chance to go into space and travel to different planets, naturally.
- For the Doctor, this RP will be set during his Tenth incarnation (David Tennant), some time after the episode ‘Planet of the Dead’. Other NPC’s may come from a different point in the Doctor’s timeline, so that the meeting between them is possible (i.e. Donna Noble would be a good example of this, for reasons which I won’t discuss due to spoilers).
The objective of this RP is simple: Defend the universe from alien threat, and help the Doctor in any way you can.
You will do this by completing the missions that NPC’s will assign to you during the course of the RP, fighting monsters, and surviving through anything the enemy throws at you (since you’re now associated with the Doctor, your character has become the enemy’s number one target [excluding the Doctor himself], so you’ll need to keep your wits about you). Danger lurks everywhere!
Other Important Information
- Although there is a plot to follow, this RP will loosely follow a ‘choose your own adventure’ format, where the characters will be faced with choices to make. What choices they make and the way they interact with the world around them will ultimately determine what happens to them. So make your choices carefully! A wrong action or move, and your character could end up in very deep water. However, you will also have opportunities to get your character out of trouble as well as into it, so unless your character does something incredibly stupid from which there is no way out of it, you should be fine. (I say ‘should be fine’ – but the dangers will increase as the RP goes on…)
- The above being said, in the world of Doctor who, no one is safe. Every single character is expendable – even the Doctor can die (and has done, on several occasions). With the death rate being so high in Doctor who, this will be by no means a walk in the park. Your character is going to have to fight hard (and do an awful lot of running) to survive, and there is a fair possibility of death. Do not assume that your character is immune from death – because they’re not. And since you are not immortal or a Time lord, you can’t be brought back to life. Once you’re dead, you’re dead. As it is, some NPC’s will be added for the pure purpose of being killed off later, just to keep that feeling of death real to your characters. After all, with death all around them, they could easily be next…
- All characters will be working on the same side, and must start the RP as an ally of the Doctor. Villains, monsters and enemies will be NPC’s. However, for those of you who would like a taste of Dr who villainy, some characters may be given the opportunity to swap sides later on…whether or not your character gives into the temptation offered to them is up to you. (But just to note if you do take the path to ‘the dark side’ of Dr who, your chances of dying increase tenfold. Especially as you’ll then be taking on the role of evil henchman or betrayer.)
- As the RP progresses, your character will receive ‘information packs/files’ via the Doctor or one of his former companions. Usually these files will have information on certain monsters/aliens the Doctor has faced, or planets. The characters can choose to use this information to help them, if they wish. The information packs will also be a guide for you, as the player, so that you understand exactly what your character is up against, and what these monsters look like, etc – which will be useful if you are not familiar with Doctor who monsters/enemies (I’ll be using monsters from the show as well as some ‘new’ monsters, just to keep things interesting).
- Some characters from the series will also be available to play, so if you’re a fan of the show and want to have a go at role playing an actual Doctor’s companion/character, you’ll have the chance. (But having existing characters as players is not necessary – they can all be NPC’s, or just not included, if need be.) Some Doctor Who characters will be NPC’s regardless (i.e. The Doctor), so bear that in mind. If you’re not sure if a character is acceptable or not, then ask before you create your CS.
In regards to spoilers, I will try and keep them to a minimum, and I advise you all to do the same. However, with Doctor Who being a series with a lot of continuity and references to earlier episodes, some spoilers will be unavoidable. There may be certain elements in the plot of this RP which refer to certain events that happened during the series, or certain things which have happened to certain characters. I can think of a few characters in particular where spoilers are going to be sadly unavoidable…
I’ll add the rules so you know what’s what, if this gets voted in. I don’t want to swamp the ideas board more than I have already – but I think you can see very clearly that I’m going to be pretty thorough with this RP.
Future Companions/Allies of the Doctor – what Qualifies?
In the way of companions and friends, the Doctor has picked up many of them over the years, all with different backgrounds, personality, gender, sexuality, species, age, Rank, and from all walks of life. So you’ve got a wide variety to choose from in the way of colourful characters. Don’t limit yourself more than you need to. They can be and expert in the field of Science or some other profession, they could be working for some sort of organisation, armed forces, or they could be just your average Joe. They don’t have to be ‘special’, but neither do they have to be ‘ordinary’. A Doctor’s Companion can be just about anybody.
(More details added to this section if Idea is approved)
Age: The age range for Doctor who companions/allies is very wide. The Doctor has picked up a variety of characters of all different ages, so I’m going to be pretty lenient with this. But please, if you’re going to be a different species other than human, don’t make it too old. Have some common sense. If your age is older than 900 then you know you’re going way too far. Similarly, child characters are discouraged. Teenagers are acceptable, but the majority of characters should be adults (18 and over).
Gender: This is self-explanatory.
Species/Race: Tread carefully here. Since this RP is going to be based a lot around Earth, the majority of CS’s should be human. However, if you want to be a different species, that’s fine, as long as they possess human-like qualities. Also bear in mind this is a Sci-fi show, and although it does have some fantasy/magical elements, it is not a fantasy adventure. These are aliens. So no angels, demons, elves etc…although you might get away with something that is ‘angel-like’ etc, within reason. Please describe your species as much as you can. (Feel free to use an existing Dr who species if you want, provided it isn’t a Dr who enemy.) Robots are not allowed, although you might just get away with a Cyborg – we’ll see how it goes.
Again, use your common sense. As awesome as it would be, no Time Lords please.
Current Location: All players start the RP on Earth. But where abouts on Earth is your character located?
Appearance: [b]Please give a good detailed description – especially if your character does not look human/has something in-human about it.
[b]Personality: What is your character like? How do they tend to view the world/interact with others? You might want to include a bit about their beliefs. To what extent do they believe in alien life? (Note: Although they can have doubts, they can’t be complete sceptics in order for this RP to work for them).
*Weapons/Gadgets/Tech: Optional. You can choose if your character carries weapons/tech or not.
Since this is Sci-fi based (in a vague Dr Who way), futuristic/alien weapons will be allowed. But if you are an OC, human and have never been involved in alien activity/organisations before, I highly doubt you’d have any futuristic/alien tech on you. So be sensible and logical please. There will be opportunities during the RP to add to your arsenal – so don’t worry.
- In regards to tech, nothing too powerful, no time-travel/vortex-manipulation devices, and certainly no Time lord or Dalek technology.
- Also, any weapon is allowed, but again nothing too powerful. Rule is, if it’s powerful enough to destroy a Dalek or Cyberman, then it’s a ‘No’ without question. NPC’s might let you ‘borrow’ more powerful weapons later on. So keep it simple please, and not too powerful. If it’s a futuristic/alien weapon, please describe a bit how it works/how effective it is.
Talents/Skills:[/u] As a potential Doctor’s companion, what talents/skills does your character have to offer? Maybe they’re good with computer-hacking (like Mickey), have good medical/scientific knowledge (like Martha), are skilled with a gun (like Jack), or maybe it’s something as simple as having a bronze medal in gymnastics (Rose) – just something that you’re character is really good at. Things like compassion, charisma, good agility/stamina, problem-solving, good leadership skills etc can also be included/mentioned here.
[b]Faults/Weakness: No human or species is without its faults in Doctor Who. Even the Doctor is far from perfect. What are your character’s weak points? (Focus on weaknesses within their personality, although if your character has any physical weaknesses then mention them too).
Background: Talk a little about your character’s life up to the point of receiving that message from the Doctor. What was it like? Did you have a job? Have you had any dealings/encounters with alien life before (if so describe it, i.e. Maybe you are a former member of an alien-fighting organisation, such as UNIT? Or maybe you’ve simply witnessed an alien life-form before now?), or is the Doctor the first alien you’ve ever met?
*Theme: Just for fun. Because every character needs a theme song. (You can have up to two themes – one serious theme and one light-hearted theme).