Crises art: 10/26

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Crises art: Pantyshot?!

Postby Chuckledarkly » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:09 pm

I like your thick comic book lines =3
Check Out My Art

-----> viewtopic.php?t=23012Cheak <-----

Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.
Proud Member of BEOS

Re: Crises art: Pantyshot?!

Postby crises » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:23 pm

Location: weightlifting, punching the heavy bag or in my room drawing

Re: Crises art: penciled comic page

Postby crises » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:56 am

Meh, decided to post it here, why not everyonce in a while?

Postby Engravement » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:02 pm

They're screwed!!!!!!!!! D=

Postby crises » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:27 pm

Two more comic pages, Critiques would be nice, thnx!

Re: Crises art: max penciled comic page Shoryuken?

Postby crises » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:30 pm

Kinda messy and I kinda messed up on the blacks

Re: Crises art: Fanart dump 5 pics

Postby Black » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:28 pm

I don't know why, but most of your girls look like guys to me XD. Batman looks great with the dark and mysterious setting. Was "Wolverine Vs. Hulk" just a random drawing you came up with or was it inspired by "Hulk Vs. Wolverine" animated movie (that one had the 1st - and so far only - animated appearance of Deadpool, which was actually a reason I got the video XD)?
Click to visit my art thread.

Postby Deena » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:59 pm

The Hulk vs. Wolverine one is awesome.:D The Batman one sets a great mood, but I think his head's a little big and there's a bit too much detail in the upper portion of the cape.

Postby crises » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:43 am

Deena wrote:The Hulk vs. Wolverine one is awesome.:D The Batman one sets a great mood, but I think his head's a little big and there's a bit too much detail in the upper portion of the cape.

Thnx for the critique! :)

Postby crises » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:47 am

Black wrote:I don't know why, but most of your girls look like guys to me XD. Batman looks great with the dark and mysterious setting. Was "Wolverine Vs. Hulk" just a random drawing you came up with or was it inspired by "Hulk Vs. Wolverine" animated movie (that one had the 1st - and so far only - animated appearance of Deadpool, which was actually a reason I got the video XD)?

Any advice on how I should draw the women to make them more feminine?

No, the cartoon didn't inspire it (awesome flick though) I drew the same pic several years ago and decided to draw it again. Same angle and everything.

Postby MonoCeru » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:42 am

I love that Hulk Vs Wolverine picture! XD

I'm with Black at the girls-look-like-guys thing. I think you should try making the girls' hips bigger than their shoulders since... that's the female anatomy. |D Male's the opposite.
And try using more curve lines for them too?

Postby Deena » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:41 pm

Attractive girls tend to have rounder, more organic figures; there's a reason the ideal figure is called an hourglass figure. Even scrawny women who are built like tubes have some semblance of curvature. Guys are blockier and more square; whether they're fat or thin, their shoulders will always have a more square-ish look to them. Since you seem to draw muscular figures a lot, remember that females in general have a leaner appearance than males. They also have thinner necks and slimmer shoulders, unless they've been eating steroids for breakfast; their upper arm muscles, even when defined, are still not as defined as male muscles. Also, thinner brows, thicker lashes, and smaller noses; rounder chins and faces, as well. Male facial structure is a little more elaborate, as they have more solid, square chins and more defined features.

Most females have difficulty drawing males, and most males have problems with drawing females. It makes sense, but it's still an annoying hurdle to overcome. I know it's weird, but look up naked women and draw them(aim for realistic depictions rather than in your style). You'll get a feel for female anatomy better that way, and improve upon your own personal style.

Postby crises » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Thnx for the tip and advice, I really appreciate it.

Re: Crises art: random girl, critique please!

Postby crises » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Postby visi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:04 am

My art critic's sharing my screen with me, so he had to have a say.
    Too bad Shaughn doesn't have a SNAFU account.

ANYWAY.
    He says this:
        "The pants are throwing me off, like seriously - the bulge on the crotch. The shading on the underboob seems off. Like, the lighting. Or so... Is that an eyepatch? There's no band or whatever. I think that's all I can complain about. Proportion seems all right - it's not bad."

If you want my critique, I just think the coloring on the pants are throwing me off. Whether it's worn out, or just lighting, just study it for a few seconds. You'll see. Her right (our left) hand also bothers me a tad. The gun on the sword could use a little work. Study them, I guess? But otherwise, I like this picture. Enjoyin' the chain tattoos.

Sorry if we're assholes. 8D;
thomas is a nerd

Postby Coos » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:36 am

Only thing I can think of is that dastardly buldge.
I'm digging it otherwise.

Postby crises » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:19 am

lol Don't worry about being assholes, just critique! Thnx!

Postby crises » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:01 pm

ZoulArt wrote:
crises wrote:Critique please!

Stop drawing girls with so little and exposing clothes.
It's fucking sad and it flues the picture that women are nothing more then eye candy.

I at least covered the hands and forearms, can't get any more decent than that. Nobody covers that anymore it's indecent.

Maybe I should draw some yuri stuff, you know just for you.

Postby Vegedus » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:16 pm

I do dislike her clothing a bit, too. The shirt is not of the ordinary, but the cuts into the pants aren't too nice. Holes in pants is all fair and well, but anyone able being able to reach into those whole and grab her vag is nasty. If it's a lasting design, I suggest you make the holes smaller so they just show a bit of hip instead of almost exposing her vag. Her boobs also seem a bit of. They hang a bit too much to the sides, like she isn't wearing a bra... And she might not be, so... Eh, it goes in the category of "it might not be unrealistic, but I don't like how it looks". They are also a bit straight at the bottom instead of round and the shading suggest that they are flat. Speaking of shading, I'm having trouble finding a light source. It seems to be meant to come from the top left (from the viewer), but it isn't consistent the whole way through. She seems almost symmetrically shaded, which people only are when lit from directly above, but it doesn't look right either. I think you do better with cell shading.

In fact, I can imagine the reasons for that is that you are applying the same principles from cell shading when soft shading. The main difference is that you can have very light shadows with soft, whereas you either have shadows or not with cell. And easy way to define a roundish object is to apply shading to all parts of it. Dark shadow at one end, perhaps with some ambient light in it, some unshaded color, a highlight, some more unshaded color and a little bit of shadow at the other end. A transition-ish effect.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby crises » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Now this is a real critique! Thnx! Just what I was lookin for!

Postby Deena » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:54 pm

ZoulArt wrote:
crises wrote:Critique please!

Stop drawing girls with so little and exposing clothes.
It's fucking sad and it flues the picture that women are nothing more then eye candy.

This is more along the lines of personal preference, Zoul. It's actually better to draw nudes or fewer loose clothes when you're starting out, because then you can focus on body structure and anatomy rather than having to worry about folds in clothes from the start. That's why most artists will tell you to sketch out a figure without clothes before adding them.

Lol, but I do agree with Vegedus in that the pants seem a little off where the holes are. I think making the pants seem tighter to the skin would help. Use short shorts or maybe even underwear as reference for the crotch/hip area.

The lighting's a bit off, too. Remember to choose where you want your light source before you start coloring. I sometimes put a dot that I erase later where I want the light coming from in my own pieces. From what I see(according to the highlight in her eye and the sword), the light source in this picture is coming from the top left, but there are spots where the idea that it is on the top left isn't followed through throughout the image. For instance, on the girl's arm that isn't tattooed, the light's coming from the opposite side of where you intended. It's important to keep that consistent, and to keep distance from the light source in mind as well.

The tattoos are bitchin' though.8D

Postby Deena » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:19 pm

That doesn't change the fact that what you're saying is a personal preference and NOT a critique. If you don't like drawings of scantily clad ladies, don't look at them. Nobody's forcing you to.

Postby Deena » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:38 pm

You have every right to hold an opinion, but it's extremely rude to the artist if you can't differentiate your more glaring opinions from a critique. Especially in one's own art thread. Yes, critiques often come with a handful of opinions, but it's important to understand that opinions on design flaws are different from opinions on subject matter. Besides, a lot of people draw scantily clad women. Portraying women in a sexual manner is very common, even in classical artwork. If you dislike looking at it so much, you shouldn't be an art mod in the first place, since it's such a common thing and you're "forced" to actively look for it being done in excess.

In addition to that, I personally think that crises's design for this girl is rather nice. It's difficult sometimes to pull off tattoos on women without making them TOO scantily clad(a.k.a. Revy with her hotpants and tanktopXD), and it's pulled off well. With a few adjustments here and there, it could work for a very nice character design.

Postby Vegedus » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:38 pm

Deena wrote:Besides, a lot of people draw scantily clad women. Portraying women in a sexual manner is very common, even in classical artwork.

This. Seriously, how can anyone get worked up over sexual artwork is beyond me. Sure, you don't have to like it, but your original post was more along the lines of "don't do this" than "I don't like this". Very commanding and, well, yeah, rude. But I wonder how many posts we should spend in someone's art thread bickering over something not directly related to that person's work. So I'll critique a bit more for good measure:

Deena mentioning the tattoot got me to focus more on it. It cool and fits her character, but I find it a bit inconsistent. There's both a lot of square and round shapes stuck closely together and they don't mesh too well. Looking at it, you could say there's four tatoos: The flamey stuff at above the boob, chains on the shoulder, weird squareish blocks by the biceps and different kind of flamey stuff by the elbow. These different kinds of shapes aren't very harmonious, especially pushed so close together. I have seen people with tattoos like this, but that's when they're trying to conserve space, because they have too many and the tattoos end up being too close and making a lot of visual mess. This girl's got plenty of space to spread them out though, if she/you actually wants more than one tat.

Also, a tattoo is essentially just a texture laid over the skin. This means that it follows the curvature of the skin and flesh it's placed upon. This further means that even perfectly square shapes aren't drawn so. If you imagine drawing a square on a square, you'll notice that the square follows the curvature of the ball to such a degree that it almost looks like a circle with corners. So even square tattoos should curve a bit and about depending on the surface they're on (shoulders are quite round, for instance). If you do it right (which isn't quite easy) the eye will easily discern what the "real" shape is, and the texture will help give it's surface form.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

PreviousNext

Return to Art