Vegedus' art thread {SPAAACE OOOPRAH 5/7/13}

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Vegedus' stuff - Art? This is spartaaa! -

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:39 pm

I'm baaaaaaack! About time I got this thread revived.

So, I've been to a art course/school-thingie for 5 months. Have I learned anything? Of course, very much. However, I've learned more about tools (godddamit real ink is awesome!) and creativity (hmm, what happens if I divide all planes of color with thick lines?) than technical drawing. Well, okay, I have probably learned a good deal about drawing humans and things in general too. Anyways, I'll show some excepts of what I've done, mostly the stuff I like best. I'll do it a few pieces at a time to keep the thread and my spirit alive since most of the stuff is on large paper that has to be scanned multiple times and shopped together. Sigh...

Anyways, let there be art!

Training in a technique apparently "intaglio" (my teacher just called it "graphics" for some reason). Essentially, you etch your picture into a metal plate, cover it with ink, take the ink of again and press the metal plate hard against some moistened paper. There's still lots of ink in the rills you etched, so there's you're motif on the paper. The interesting part about it, is that you don't have to clean off all the surface ink (actually, you almost can't), and you can even control the density of it in different places, though this leftover ink always creates a rather chaotic, nice and darkly pattern to it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention on the other one why there's a white border. It's because the paper you print on is much bigger than the plate, and thus, you get that little, dark picture and a lot of white around it. Since I'm not digitally modifying these too much, I wanted to keep that effect.

This one, in case you can't see it, is of a flower that shines brightly, lying on top of a sinister looking, spikey leaf.

Both are still life etchings, by the way.

This one is drawn after a painting of some random famous painter. However, it's by far not a trace. While the motif largely the same, the original was drawn in a somewhat realistic style. I opted to make it differ, by dividing significant amounts of tones, into flat-uniform tones (kinda like cellshading, really), and also dividing them with harsh, really thick, varying lines. Note that there is no logic in how the thickness of the lines. All done with a 6B pencil, making it uniform a challenge in itself.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Re: Vegedus' stuff - Now with traditional and abstract art! -

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:17 pm

Oi, peeps. Back again with an artiliscious update. I finally got around to putting the last finishing touches on the first colored (!!) page of my OCT entry. I worked on all the pages sorta at the same time, so they're all in a around halfway stage. The first page, due to it's nature, was further along, so I decided to finish it, though I can't be bothered to do the rest. So, in a salute what could have been, I present, page 1:

Also, a little more traditional art from art school. I'd have uploaded more of these by now, but they're all bigger than A4 unlike my scanner, and it's a pain in the ass!

Re: Vege's art --| What could have been... OCT page 1!! |--

Postby Coos » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:25 pm

I dig it. Alot.

Postby Engravement » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:48 pm

I also dig. ^^

Postby Vegedus » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:20 am

Men of few words, aren't ya? I don't even know which you are referring to! The latter one gave more response at DA than I've ever gotten though, which is to say, 2 comment and 1 fav. That's cool.

Here's a bit more in the same general theme:

White ink on black paper. Cool, isn't it? Also, the general concept of the picture was to out the concept of only having black on one side of the face. I don't dig this as much as the other one, but white ink is quite interesting in itself. It does seem I have a thing for ink, whether it be digital ink, white ink, ink on brush or traditional ink pen. The only kind of ink I dislike is the pen ink that doesn't allow you to make as much line variation and mess up randomly improvise.

Also, you may notice this is the third piece I've posted on this page alone which is a portraits of a person with large, blots of black instead of eyes. I've posted them in the order I've made them, so I got inspired by the first to make the other two, you could say. It turns out obscuring eyes completely like that is even more effective than showing them, since it's more abnormal. So I both love drawing eyes and not drawing eyes now :P. The second picture has actually inspired a permanent character I'm going to feature in my upcoming comic. Yeah, I'm starting a comic. Again. I think I actually have a decent chance of going somewhere this time, though.

Re: Vege's art [OCT page 1!! ... and some more dark eyes.]

Postby Coos » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:52 am

You and your eyes x3
I like it. The style is something you don't see on snafu and it's unique.

Re: Vege's art [OCT page 1!! ... and some more dark eyes.]

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:17 am

I know rite? I think it's something even the old fogeys would call 'art' unlike much of the other stuff on snafu. Personally I do think comic and manga/anime styles can be art, but it isn't necessarily.

Anyways, some new stuff. One day I just really felt like doing some digital legwork so I did this one:

I liked the expression I managed to give him. Oh, and the hair. My hairstyle sure has come a long way, me thinks. Dunno if I'll keep doing it this way, it's was sorta experimental, but it's definitely interesting. OH, and his skull's way to big, but whatever.

Something I inked almost literally while I was waiting for a file to download. Took 15 minutes to ink, max. Still lonely without the sketch lines though. I'm almost thinking of somehow keeping them for my comic project, if I don't color it. Digital ink without anything in it look so empty :(

Re: Vege's art [Colors and portraits and inking and stuff]

Postby Coos » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:47 am

Hmmm.
Next time, try shortening the length of your necks. Not saying keep doing it, I just wanna see how it would look.

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:12 am

It was even longer before I cropped a good chunk of it :P I do tend to make some rather long necks.

Postby Smiffy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Nice stuff here. I especialy like the 3/4 profile. That one was always a pain in the ass for me to get down.

lol

Postby Vegedus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:57 am

Smiffy wrote:Nice stuff here. I especialy like the 3/4 profile. That one was always a pain in the ass for me to get down.

lol

They're a pain in the ass, aren't they? I checked afterwards, and it's by far not accurate, but I think it looks okay, which I guess is most important.

Postby Vegedus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:31 am

Hm. Dunno about this one. After having practiced fighting poses and such for a while, I finally made something I felt like working further on... And then I smacked all sorts of cheesy effects. The background bothers me the most. As always, it's merely an afterthought and looks the part.

Re: Vege's art [Dark Evil Naked Guy!]

Postby Coos » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:09 am

It's better when they're naked and Evil.

I think the right knee should be showing just a little bit. Right now, it looks like a little stubby leg is sticking out XD
You could probably next time, just make the right leg completely straight instead of bending. It would add to dynamics...or something.
I dig it. Keep up the good posing :D

Re: Vege's art [Dark Evil Naked Guy!]

Postby Vegedus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:19 am

Yeah, it was supposed to be straight. I guess I just didn't draw it long enough.

Re: Vege's art [Comment plox!]

Postby Vegedus » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 pm

Simple question. Two different linearts. One with extra lines crapped all over, one without. Which one do you like better?

Postby Coos » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:39 pm

minus all the crapped lines
It looks way better all clean and whatnot.

Postby Engravement » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:43 pm

Mmm. The clean line art.
The sketchy one looks like he's preparing some epic attack. (Or just how I see it.)

PS. The left hands off. xD

Postby Deena » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:26 pm

I haven't looked in your thread in a while, but your traditional stuff's pretty awesome nowadays.:D

Anyhow, I think the cleaner one looks nicer, but the messier one has more personality to it. The cleaner one seems a little inconsistent with line quality, however. Definitely keep an eye on anatomy; there are parts that seem really off.

Postby Vegedus » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:05 am

Why, if I had noticed Deena had posted, I'd bumped this earlier.

Anyway, about the free critique mentioned in the thread title, in an effort to participate more in the forum, and get more comments in my thread, I've decided to try out giving critique to anyone that posts in my thread. Some people seem to like my critiques, and I do like giving them, but I'm a bit to lazy to rummage around random people's threads to give feedback to people who might not even want it.

So, if you want some critique and comments on your art from me, all you have to do is to post something in this thread. It doesn't matter at all what you posts, as long as it isn't spam. Praise, critique, bashing, love, whatever is relevant. You don't even have to ask for the critique, I'll respond by default. Unless you specify otherwise, I'll generally post about your most recent art, or whatever I think I have something interesting to say about. Depending on how many comments, I can't promise I'll respond with mile-long or extremely thought-out posts every time, but priority will be given to good posters and I am prone to be throughout and wall-of-text-posting.

So, them's the rules. I wouldn't have bumped my thread without any effort to show here, so here's the last thing I've cooked up.

NEVER MIND, I SUCK COCKS, and it seems it didn't work. So, blah.

A little, fun idea I had of containing all of the steps in my drawing process in a single image. And in case you're interested, no, there is no final, fully coloured and inked version. He's actually supposed to be a kid, which explains the chubby facial proportions, but not so much is insanely ripped body.

Re: Vege's art [Stages of Progress]

Postby Vegedus » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:57 am

Hey guys!?! Did you know I had an art thread? Me neither. A glut of school, really good games and photoshop troubles have made me rather inactive, drawing-wise. Well, all those problems are solved (though the first two are sure to come around again soon) and my mojo is back, so here's some art!

A quasi-realistic selfportrait, mostly made to replace my DevID which have really grated on my eyes.

I occasionally practice my mecha drawing skills. Not quite there yet, but this serves as a significant step of progress. Main problem, I think that it still looks a bit too much like a power armor (not coincidentally of the WH40K variety), more than a massive mech. Oh, and the boring pose, but that's because it started as an insignificant sketch during an elevator in Mass Effect :P. Drew all of it during loading screens.

An experiment in using a reference as the complete basis of a drawing. Here's the reference in question, for... Reference. I inked over it and coloured it the same way I would a pencil sketch. It was an interesting learning experience but I don't think I'm gonna do it again. It seems to have drained the drawing of some life and, oddly enough, the anatomy doesn't seem that much more accurate than normal.

I like drawing muscles, but I'm too lazy to actually study how exactly they're supposed to be, so I just wing it. This time I took it to it's logical extreme and drew something that's not even supposed to be human. It's long monkey arms are proof of that. It's purpose is too look cool, not to be any kind of accurate anatomical study. Oh, and yes, I mirrored it. I hate front on poses and all the symmetry they involve. Also, like the last one, it was done completely on computer, no sketching or pencils involved. Something else I'm experimenting with.

Re: Vegedus' art [Mechas, Muscles, and M... Reference]

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:48 am

So.. Some 5 months since the last update, eh? Auch. Damn you, university and damn you, good games, why do you take so much time! It doesn't help that I can't be bothered to do minor updates either. But anyways, pokemans! (well, just one)

This is Zekrom, the legendary for the Pokemon: White, that was announced not too long ago. I saw it and was all "dat's a kewl pokemon, I'ma draw it". A head shot if the absolutely least interesting thing of it you could draw, but I actually started drawing it in paintchat and all the details were too daunting to make in that confined space. I had to finish it in Photoshop though, because it was impossible to do a nice inking or shading the way I had drawn it. Buuut I got practice a new shading technique I rather like, so it's all good. Full opacity, full flow on the brush, lots of layers with varying opacity, and the color black.

I made this picture almost by accident in Paintchat that really had potential. Then I lost it due to the server reset. Then I tried to recreate it, and kinda didn't succeed. It's meant to reflect the feeling of getting old. But meeeh.

This was supposed to be my CY entry if I hadn't stupidly misjudged the deadline. I even did a bit of research on animal names and stuff to name it, but, well, never got further than this. It can still eat you, though.
Last edited by Vegedus on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Vegedus' art { Pokemon and OCT stuff }

Postby Chuckledarkly » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:45 pm

cool face humper.
Check Out My Art

-----> viewtopic.php?t=23012Cheak <-----

Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.
Proud Member of BEOS

Re: Vegedus' art { Pokemon and CY stuff }

Postby Geomancer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:02 pm

He once beat them all using nothing but probes and photon cannons although I don't know if they were inane that time. He likes to make it interesting.
Final Fantasy IX was the best Final Fantasy game ever and if you think otherwise you are WRONG!

My fanfiction account. Comments and criticisms are very welcome.
GMancer

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Lulz, accidentally clicked my sig, did you? Wrong thread, dude.

Postby Vegedus » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:23 pm

So, as you can see, I've completely changed my art style. In other news, I don't really like NIS games anymore, or flatchested girls. This is a brand new day.

... Or this just isn't Coos art thread :D. If you're still confused, you might need to take a look at the name over the avatar. Yeah, I'm impersonating threads now too.

To actually get to the art, it's been a slow summer. Sooo lazy. And now it's autumn.

Not at all satisfied with this one, but it's the only colored piece I've done in ages. I tried painting a background, failed, and just made some teeth and an eye that couldn't at all be belonging to an Ultralisk.

This guy Ivenks, the OC I draw all the time.

This has the delightful title "I am shirtless and has swords". Not much more to say. Probably gonna be an easily conquered villain mook.

This one is my favorite in the bunch. 4 self portraits I drew in different styles for use as reference for a painting at a workshop I attended. I'd show the painting as well, but it's not really scannable. Either way, I think they came out quite nice, some soul and depth to them.

PreviousNext

Return to Art