Mega Man 2.5D

Discuss new comics, posts, and news directly from the Snafu-Comics main page!

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:40 pm

I want this game SO SO SO BAD. I wish it was official and Capcom would do it. I don't understand how fans can make things so much better than huge billion dollar companies. It's depressing.

WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Re: Mega Man 2.5D

Postby Mehoaido » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:57 pm

Awsome ôo
I hope you announce when this game is released?

but well you have to consider the time the original Megaman 2 was released... they didn't have the possibilities we have today back then.
It's not enough to have no thoughts.
You gotta be unable to express them.

My Art thread

Postby 8feet » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:09 pm

It is so good to be a game maker!

Postby Zega » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:28 pm

HOLY DEAR GOOD LORD JESUS!!!!
i want it!!!

Postby AnimeMun » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:33 pm

Oh my mother lovin' comp.... someone please tell me where to download this game when its done. It looks devilishly fun!

Postby jonlost » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:05 pm

I found that this trailer was made by an animator, and I haven't actually seen any conformation that this is in fact a real game that is really in production!

I hope I'm wrong though! XP

Postby Archrival » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:22 pm

jonlost wrote:I found that this trailer was made by an animator, and I haven't actually seen any conformation that this is in fact a real game that is really in production!

He said it wasn't official and was made by a fan, lurk more.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby jonlost » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:46 pm

Archrival wrote:
jonlost wrote:I found that this trailer was made by an animator, and I haven't actually seen any conformation that this is in fact a real game that is really in production!

He said it wasn't official and was made by a fan, lurk more.

I know! as I said, it was made by an animator! I was just stating that this probably won't see the life of a video game, even though I still want it to! >.<

Postby Mythrrinthael » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:13 am

From what I understand, Jonlost is right. This was done by an animator (kudos to him), thus there is a very high chance that there will be no game at all.

I'd do anything to be able to play the Protoman co-op, nevertheless. Funny thing is, the (later) Megaman games of the NES were capable of that AI, so if this became a game, it's going to be a very, very heavily modified "ROM-hack" for NES emulators.

EDIT: Friggin' font code isn't working properly.
"When the hawk does not return, before the evening's red, it'll rain. Or, heh, the hawk is dead"

"So, guys have to...wait for a while? Like, there's a delay?"
^Female friend on the subject of differences between men and women in the restrooms. Because when you're very bored, just about anything can be discussed.

Location: Does it matter? People don't nearly turn around fast enough to make sure anyway...

Postby windraver » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:02 am

Animator or not, it looks to be indeed a fun game but it would be a bug fest. Meaning that the angle change seen in 2.5d would be prone to so many bugs that in an essence, wouldn't be worth it to capcom. Its only my opinion since just about every console is capable of full 3d and the megaman games in 3d were never really good. The only partial "3d" one acceptable in my opinion was megaman x8.

X7 was the first 3d version of the x series and it was a disaster with inability to wall jump certain places and just too many problems. Megaman is simply a platform game. multiplayer would be a cool addition I'd agree but 2.5d just isn't realistic.

Nice animation tho.

excuse my comments... I love megaman games, namely the megaman zero series... and I used to test games for a living... so thats the source of my opinion and if they are unpopular then i apologize ^.^

Postby Mythrrinthael » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:40 am

windraver wrote:...so thats the source of my opinion and if they are unpopular then i apologize ^.^

No no no. That's not how it works. It's an opinion you have there. A well argumented opinion, with real experience to back it up. Unless you have a pretty damn offensive opinion, there is no real reason to apologise.

And yes, now that you mention the 2D to 2.5D transision (spelling?), I guess it's indeed rather prone to bugs. Nevertheless, the multiplayer function would be more awesome than an Everafter animation movie...But not by much.
"When the hawk does not return, before the evening's red, it'll rain. Or, heh, the hawk is dead"

"So, guys have to...wait for a while? Like, there's a delay?"
^Female friend on the subject of differences between men and women in the restrooms. Because when you're very bored, just about anything can be discussed.

Location: Does it matter? People don't nearly turn around fast enough to make sure anyway...

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:27 pm

bugfest? how? People have been doing fake 3d slash 2D games sine the PS1 and with NES graphics at t his point I fell like it would be easy. But it'll never happen anyways so oh well. But damn I'd love it.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby Seiryuga » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:04 pm

Capcom is pretty much leading the 3rd party developers in the recent years.

with Megaman 9, I was kinda dissapointed since most of his signature moves like the charge and the slide were missing.

I think they pretty much just want to target the hardcore gamers. Cuz man...Megaman back then still kick my balls until 4 hrs later I learn the pattern of the bosses.
copyrights are a bitch ain't it?

Postby arcanekn » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:33 pm

Well first off let me say "Hi I'm new here."
Second: If that was a real game i would be willing to pay/donate for it.
but the codemonkey in me says that would be a nightmare to code for these two reasons:
1. keeping the positions of all the games monsters/items/etc. during the perspective changes would be epic.
2. the z axis (into/out of screen) sections collision detection system would be complex, especially during the boss/dragon part as point 1 would also add complexity.

But i have seen games made based off animations before so i hope someone, anyone makes this a game. Because i think the general view here would be that we would all play it, yes?
A Nerd is someone who is obsessed with computers and technology.
A Geek is someone who is obsessed with computers and technology... and LIKES IT THAT WAY DAMN IT!!.

Postby CubeGuy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:21 am

Yup. It's another one joining the site just to post in this topic (call me crazy but I love a good conceptual thinking challenge). So hello everyone. Not sure if I'll stay or not. I do read the comics, but I run my own forum and that eats up most of my internet time. I'll try but no promises.

Alright. On to the brainstorming!

Mythrrinthael wrote:And yes, now that you mention the 2D to 2.5D [transition], I guess it's indeed rather prone to bugs.

I think that the fundamental coding at work here would be relatively simple. Say you've got a game like New Super Mario Bros. or Super Smash Bros. Those games are done entirely in 3D. In order to make it side-scrolling, the player is simply not given control of the Z-axis. Just the X and Y. The camera follows a set path as the player moves about the level just like any other game.

Megaman 2.5D would work pretty much the same way. The first difference being that Megaman is obviously a sprite instead of a 3D model. One way, off the top of my head, to do this would be to make the character model in the game a transparent 2D square and map the sprite to it as a texture the way it's done in the Paper Mario series. The second difference would be the transition from one plane to another. If I were coding it, I'd force the character sprites to always be parallel with the X-axis. When you reach a certain block where a swap were to occur, the following things would happen:

1. Disable enemy AI behavior on the x-axis so they don't start shooting diagonals and crap (or design the AI so that they can only act on events to their left or right).
  2. Rotate the camera (which is still just a set path in a 3D environment) to the new angle.
  3. Enable enemies' AI on the Z-axis.
  4. Rotate Megaman to line up with the new axis.
  5. Remap the player's controller to the Z-axis instead of the X.

There are also a couple of things in the trailer that may present a problem, though. The conveyor belts look simple enough. The player is moved automatically between the points on the X-axis. No special control needs to be done there. In the boss fight with the dragon, the game uses the anything-hidden-does-not-exist gimmick. I can think of a couple ways of getting around this, but none that I can easily put into words.

There are some problems with my ideas, I'm sure, but I think it'd be a good place to start if someone were to design something like this. If anyone does, or knows someone who might want to, let me know. I'd love to help.

So yeah. I think that I've put off finishing my essay for tomorrow long enough. Maybe I'll see you around. I'll follow this topic just in case anyone wants to toss around ideas.

Return to Comic Updates and News!