General Chat Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

General Chat Thread

Postby Dave » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:47 pm

I know this seems a bit odd for me but I thought I would try a general chat thread in the Snafu section as well since that seems to be main stays in all the other forum sections. So I guess this is the extremely off topic wander thread than everyone chats about whatever everyone else is chatting about at the time.

I'll go ahead and start.

So today I was playing some Fable 2 and watched Enchanted back to back. It was a strangely good combination. But it got me thinking. Disney hasn't had a straight up princess movie in a billion zillion years. And when I try and think of another fairy tale it seems Disney has already done them all. Why aren't there more stupid fair tales of girl falls in love, they get separated they get together? The classics are usually only like 10 pages long if that and super simple stupid plot line. Why aren't there a BILLION of them for Disney to pull from? I mean what made the ones that are famous and stuck around forever stick around? Certainly there must be an author somewhere who can pull off a fairy tale?

This is what I think about. GAY I know.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby EagleMan » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:09 pm

Probably because the culture no longer fits it, and that the studio doesn't want to be afraid as seen as just having an 'inspired remake' of a classic. Even though the dollars are in the end what matters, they still don't want to get slammed by critics.

Eh I don't truly know myself, but I would just say it's because the plot line is old and beaten, even if it still is something tried and true. Animation studios want to make cool 3D stuff nowadays.

Postby Cannonball519 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:57 pm

Disney has two princess movies coming out:

The Princess and the Frog will use traditional 2-D animation.

Rapunzel will be a 3-D extravaganza.

Is that enough "princess" for you?
The bird blinked at her as if to say, "Why am I in this stupid box? I want a worm. How could you not know your husband was gay?"

Postby CogitoIJ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:42 am

Kids just don't know what a good ole story heavy movie is like these days, though the same can be said about alot of writers. I used to have shelves filled with old Disney movies, Robin Hood and Aladin were my favourites.

Postby Dave » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:14 am

Aladin was the bomb loved that movie. I guess 2D animation in general I've been really missing. 3D just doesn't do it for me anymore. It's really getting to the point where I loathe it. But it's the closest I have to 2D animation so it'll have to do.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby Kkeellaacc » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:17 am

I just miss cartoons on the slightly more serious side. Most cartoon movies that come out this day and age are more comedic than anything.
Signature Under Construction

Postby Dave » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:26 am

Yeah thats definitely true. I blame it on the success of Shrek.

But yeah Aladin, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan, Hercules, were all so ridiculously good and now things have been bland at best for awhile. I also hate that they're not musicals anymore. That was 90% of what made them so appealing to begin with.
Administrator

Postby CogitoIJ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:47 am

Ah yea, beauty and the Beast, that was an awesome one. What I felt ruined all those great movies were the completely pointless sequels, especially the 1.5 sequels.

The old movies were mainly based on existing stories, so they could work from those and just adapt it to the Disney format, but when they tried to make the original stories for the sequels, it just ruined what they already had.

One of the only sequels I really liked back then was Return of Jaffa.

Postby trogwithgun » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:35 am

The only good Disney Movie Sequels were of course the Aladdin movies. I do agree that Return Of Jaffar was Awesome. Aladdin and The King of Thieves was pretty good. I'm glad that's where they stopped though. I don't watch Disney Sequels anymore they are all horrible.

Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Bambi were all raped by Disney and since Disney spawned them in the first place the results were bastardized mentally challenged offspring.

I detest what has become of Disney.
I will debate until I have exhausted all logical arguments for my side. It cannot be helped its simply in my nature to do so.

Postby Dave » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:45 am

And apparently so does South Park. They've been railing on Disney HARD for awhile now. And rightfully so I'd say. God damn I nee more south park in my life.
Administrator

Postby WiNg0o » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:53 am

Actually I'm pretty sure it was the success of toy story that set of the 3D trend.
I Killed the Boss

Postby trogwithgun » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:09 am

Yes Toy Story is the first Disney/Pixar movie I can recall watching. I remember because of the weird bouncing lamp.... I haven't seen that south park but I would very much like to.
I will debate until I have exhausted all logical arguments for my side. It cannot be helped its simply in my nature to do so.

Postby CogitoIJ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:43 am

Toy Story was another Disney movie that had a good sequel, but then it was Pixar and they never fail to deliver.

Postby Vegedus » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Dave wrote:And apparently so does South Park. They've been railing on Disney HARD for awhile now. And rightfully so I'd say. God damn I nee more south park in my life.

"You have to wear the purity rings because that's how we can sell sex to little girls, haha!"

South Park has been awesome as of late.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby CogitoIJ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:36 pm

As this is a general chat thread, I just wanted to say that I am currently drawing a picture for my first milestone on DA, only took me 2 years to get to it, aint I amazing. I'm doing a group picture of people from Snafu, this might seem more fitting in the Art forum, but I wanna get as many people from Snafu as I can.

So if you feel like being butchered into a cartoon version of yourself, you're welcome to put your name forward. Those who would like it, a photo would be appreciated, but if you just describe your looks, hair, eye, skin colour, hair style, facial hair, accessories and clothes you wear is good enough.

Daves gonna get an automatic spot whether he wants it or not!

Postby CogitoIJ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:59 pm

Only a naked one.

Postby Dave » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:34 pm

Autospot! Woot

and isn't that the same idea as your sig?
Administrator

Postby CogitoIJ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:57 pm

Similar idea, but much bigger and more detailed.

Postby zepherin » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:06 pm

I heard Persona 4 was a good game. I finally got around to playing it and it turns out that Persona 4 is better than I've heard. It's one of the best games I've played this year.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby WiNg0o » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:25 pm

Phantasy Star Portable is about fifteen times better than Phantasy Star Universe.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Dave » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:59 pm

wait so what is persona 4 exactly? I've heard the name but I know nothing about it.

And phantasy star universe sucked balls. Its the only game I've ever returned.
Administrator

Postby WiNg0o » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:08 am

Dave wrote:wait so what is persona 4 exactly? I've heard the name but I know nothing about it.

And phantasy star universe sucked balls. Its the only game I've ever returned.

I've yet to play Persona 4, but if it's anything like Persona 3, its sort of a mix between dating sim and dungeon crawler. LOVED Persona 3 to death.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:30 pm

dating sim and dungeon crawler? Huh I thought it would be a FPS for some reason. explain more.
Administrator

Postby CogitoIJ » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:42 pm

You have to do things like up your stench stats to improve your relationship with the rats, so they wont bite your arse as much... or so they'll bite it more, whatever you're into.

Postby Coos » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:34 pm

>>
<<
You guys should play more Disgaea.

I loved PSU, even though I barley got far or did much because it was that BETA thing from Live. Knowing that Portable is better; I might buy it.
I did kinda buy Armored Core for Answer though, so, I'm spending most of my time with that. I also need to buy a bunch of NIS games that come out later, like Cross Edge.

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion