Grids - Talisman (GRIDS WILL RETURN)

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Griddles' new series - Part One: Talisman

Postby GridsNaranek » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:18 am

I think he might refer to Ginger - in which case I will email it to you instead. Please PM me your preferred email address.

The sky was clear apart from patchy cloud to the west. A cool breeze swept across the school yard as Bubbles closed her eyes, letting the gentle zephyr brush across her face and through her hair. It smelt so clean and pure, the aroma of the grass, trees and distant sea combining and making her sigh silently. She sat on the raised earth mound near the limits of the school yard, her skirt smoothed over her thighs as she rested her textbook in her lap. A pencil was threaded between her thumb, fore- and middle fingers but she couldn't bring herself to pick it up and use it for a couple of reasons. One was because that it was lunchtime and she could hardly concentrate because of all the noise. It didn't help that she was taking far more interest in the riotous game of soccer unfolding on the school oval which the hill of grass she sat upon overlooked. That was reason two. The children who weaved and zig-zagged across the field of astroturf all looked the same in their white sports shirts and shorts, calling out to each other in a cacophony of communication that jumbled and discorded against each other, making their conversations utterly incomprehensible. But amongst the sea of students, Bubbles kept her eyes upon the one small girl with black hair who seemed much smaller than the rest of the crowd.

She squawked, hoping her sister could hear her over the din. "Slip in and steal it, Buttercup!" Her fascination with their lunchtime sports clouded any chance she could get to do her homework, which was fast approaching its due date.

Upon her lap sat the same brief oral presentation that her sisters were meant to be working on as well; Blossom presenting hers in front of the family (the pretend 'class'). Bubbles never enjoyed speaking out to a group of people with all the attention upon herself. She was quite happy being part of the audience, much as she was here upon the raised earth ridge with the several other dozen children watching the game and shouting orders down to the players. She got enough enjoyment out of merely spectating. She never saw herself as an outspoken person whose opinion needed to be heard above the crowd. All she really had to do in her life was follow Blossom's instructions or maybe endure another onslaught from bored and bullying Buttercup. Sure, she could stand up for herself and there were times where she was forced to take charge. But she never felt entirely comfortable with it. That was why she was glad that she only had to be up there for about four minutes. Hide the nerves and the discomfort and ride it through; maybe get a good mark for it. That was all she needed to do. From there it was smooth sailing until the next assignment to test her mettle was presented to her. She didn't even bother to worry about Buttercup and the fact that she mightn't even have a talk to give this time tomorrow. Deep inside her, her nerves were rising. But she did her best to hide it. She thought it best to learn a thing or two from Blossom, who had already finished her good copy script. She wasn't here, though Bubbles wished she was. Blossom preferred to spend lunchtimes in the classroom nowadays, doing Further Studies with the other brainies, including Dexter. Losing sight of Buttercup for a moment as the children again swarmed for the black and white ball, Bubbles grit her teeth. If only she had a smart and academic boyfriend-of-sorts that could help her with her projects... and her problems.

Spotting the jet-haired girl in the masses again, she emitted a high-pitched squeal, "Behind you, BEHIND YOU! Uh... ok, now pass it to that, um... boy over... there- no! Wrong way Buttercup, you shoulda-! He's gonna-!" she groaned as she watched her sister intercepted, the ball knocked away from her possession, "You're not listening...."
Bloodsguar Studios member

WE ARE ALL GRIDS

Postby The Darkness » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:01 am

great update as always gridds
There comes a time when we must all face the darkness in our hearts

Postby Next-Gen. » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:08 am

Well now the bubbles depicted in this series is quite different. Normally she's really quite an outstanding person with a Voice you couldn't shut up at times. lol

Q.U. wrote:Are you by any chance referring to "Minimandy - The Urge"?

Naah...but just so where on the same page, what now?
Name: NG
Griddles wrote:I'm a sadistic bastard :P

Word's, spoken from the master.

Postby Q.U. » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:43 am

If only she had a smart and academic boyfriend-of-sorts that could help her with her projects... and her problems.

Bubbles having such cunning and calculated thoughts of useing people's emotions to meet her own ends is sort of a surprise. I'll take that this change in her character is due to both growing up and all the events that she'd participated in making her more realistic about her life and not the usual carefree optimist. This one sentence does make her seem slightly off character though.

I do not get it. Paraphrase please.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby gamefan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Short but awesome Update. :D
Flowerpuff Girls Forever <3
Image Image

Postby BlazingBarrager » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:24 am

Q.U. wrote:
If only she had a smart and academic boyfriend-of-sorts that could help her with her projects... and her problems.

Bubbles having such cunning and calculated thoughts of useing people's emotions to meet her own ends is sort of a surprise. I'll take that this change in her character is due to both growing up and all the events that she'd participated in making her more realistic about her life and not the usual carefree optimist. This one sentence does make her seem slightly off character though.

I do not get it. Paraphrase please.

I think he means the one on Ginger.

Nice update BTW. Bubbles deep in thought.
Last edited by BlazingBarrager on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Location: That little place in your head you don't know about.

Postby Q.U. » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:29 am

Grids you need to do a short GinXLic story... People would want to pay for it. Then we'll ask Seir to make a comic strip like nano'd Minnie but with those two, and we end up with a win-win situation.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby GridsNaranek » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:36 am

Oooh you got me interested there Q.U. If you were to ask me to do a Ginger x Lico story what would you want to see? That goes for the rest of you here - if you wanted to request a short story from me, what would you ask for?

Update comes tomorrow (my time).

WE ARE ALL GRIDS

Postby BlazingBarrager » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:53 am

Griddles wrote:Oooh you got me interested there Q.U. If you were to ask me to do a Ginger x Lico story what would you want to see? That goes for the rest of you here - if you wanted to request a short story from me, what would you ask for?

Update comes tomorrow (my time).

Well I'm sure you could do a better job in telling how Amber and Bianca came to join Helix then me, but I'm not sure if I should request that.

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:12 am

Well, I thought Bubbles seemed more, well, bubbly in PPG than in D... Yea, she's more talkative than right now... I wonder what made her change this way.... :/
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Q.U. » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:00 am

Oooh you got me interested there Q.U. If you were to ask me to do a Ginger x Lico story what would you want to see? That goes for the rest of you here - if you wanted to request a short story from me, what would you ask for?

For GinxLic just a regular girl-on-girl action perhaps. Hold the cookie, and the furries. Or this to speak my mind... (minus the audience).

Postby Next-Gen. » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:35 am

Q.U. wrote:

For GinxLic just a regular girl-on-girl action perhaps. Hold the cookie, and the furries. Or this to speak my mind... (minus the audience).

Boooooring. Make it something like GinXMin and Then we got a pair for intrest.

Oh and I got the story, just waitin for the right time to read it (ima need alot of time too).
Name: NG
Griddles wrote:I'm a sadistic bastard :P

Word's, spoken from the master.

Postby Q.U. » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:57 pm

Gin and Minnie are of different "universes". So it would have gotten hard to write about their intimate pairing since there is no excuse for their relationship.

Edit
Am I the only one who doesn't want a short story related to Helix saga? If you want something like that just sit on your bums and write it peeps.
Last edited by Q.U. on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby bob-dude » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Myself? Rose getting her tail handed to her(IE killed very SLOWLY) by Blood, or anyone of your girls for that matter. :P That or Will and Blaze the girl battling it out to the death would be fairly sweet in my book, but that's me.
Paolini: Characters are born of necessity

Griddles: Well you know I am sadistic... I'll only kill a character when their purpose is served.

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:44 pm

You know what I want for a short Helix fic? All of the main cast under one roof. All for comedy--like a Big Brother :3

I wanna see how they would treat each other >:3
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby gamefan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:06 pm

Q.U. wrote:

Gin and Minnie are of different "universes". So it would have gotten hard to write about their intimate pairing since there is no excuse for their relationship.

True, but sure would be something interesting to watch. :P
Flowerpuff Girls Forever <3
Image Image

Postby Q.U. » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:52 pm

You know what I want for a short Helix fic? All of the main cast under one roof. All for comedy--like a Big Brother :3

Big Brother idea is a no-no. But to see them interact and live together on a daily basis, sort of like one day out of their group's life, being a retardation in the story and some comedy relief would be nice. We suffer a lack of the same in GT, so it's not a bad idea either.

PS
When I saw KM's post I already imagined he'd request a short fic of KMxBlaze... :p Don't know why. But the post came out to be surprisingly Blaze-unrelated. And so a picture I was readying to use became irrelevant.

Postby BlazingBarrager » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:15 am

bob-dude wrote:Myself? Rose getting her tail handed to her(IE killed very SLOWLY) by Blood, or anyone of your girls for that matter. :P That or Will and Blaze the girl battling it out to the death would be fairly sweet in my book, but that's me.

I highly doubt that Matt would do stuff like that.
Q.U. wrote:

Big Brother idea is a no-no. But to see them interact and live together on a daily basis, sort of like one day out of their group's life, being a retardation in the story and some comedy relief would be nice. We suffer a lack of the same in GT, so it's not a bad idea either.

PS
When I saw KM's post I already imagined he'd request a short fic of KMxBlaze... :p Don't know why. But the post came out to be surprisingly Blaze-unrelated. And so a picture I was readying to use became irrelevant.

Hmm, you know I wouldn't mind reading that myself. I had thoughts of the cast being together at some camp and such, but that was long ago.

Postby GridsNaranek » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:51 am

One of the sports instructors, a tall and well-built man with dark skin and a shaved head, stepped into the mix and blew his whistle just as the boy who stole Buttercup's ball tried to break away. Bubbles didn't know him too well because he taught the higher classes, but she remembered that most people just called him 'Steve' because his surname, being from the Pacific islands or something, was almost completely unpronounceable to anyone below 8th grade. He held his arms up and at once all play stopped. He called something out and after a moment, the players on the field dispersed, an intermission to play called. Several of the students near her began clapping, applauding the chaotic play they'd witnessed in the last ten minutes. Bubbles merely stared. Buttercup didn't seem on her game today, even though Bubbles was no exper-

ZIP

Bubbles flinched "Gyah!!"

Buttercup stared down at her, towering at full height over Bubbles' sitting and and slightly reclined body, "Were you shouting orders at me!?"

Bubbles quivered, her sister's shadow obscuring the sunlight and casting shade across her face, "U-Um, I thought you might... j-just need-"

Buttercup growled, "Sometimes I REALLY hate my super-hearing cos do you have ANY idea how annoying your voice is??"

Bubbles' lower lip shook, "I was just-"

"Look, I have everything covered. You just... watch. And if you wanna do something good with your voice, then practice that speech of yours." she turned around, her long white sports-T seemingly a few sizes too large on her. In a spark of green light she shot back to the playing field.

Bubbles narrowed her eyes. If anything got her to pay attention, it was a stern lecture from Buttercup. Despite her urge to tease, Buttercup still managed to point out what Bubbles did wrong very frequently. So what made it a little more satisfying, for her at least, was when she took those wrongs, corrected them, and then threw them right back in Buttercup's face. A quick smile crossed her face. It was a break in the game. Now was her chance. Remembering that her pencil was still in her hand, she raised it to the textbook on her thighs. She stared at what she'd already written, looking for a point to either change or continue from. She had a rough beginning.... a rough middle.... and, she supposed, a rough end. All in all, it was a presentation. But it could be more than just that. She didn't care if she was repeating what Blossom had said in hers. She'd just put her hand up and volunteer to read hers first thing, so that everything she said was not merely being reiterated. But she couldn't afford to kid herself. Writing was not the problem. It was the presentation and her voice that was concerning her the most. Saving the city, catching villains and upholding values that every young boy and girl could admire and adhere to - easy. Getting up in front of her class of almost a year and telling them about herself - that was where she truly needed superpowers.

"My name is Bubbles Utonium..." she recited, the typical introduction. She had no middle name, nor did her sisters. They shared a surname and their names all began with B. That made rollcall fun at times. In sequence, it went Blossom, herself, then Buttercup. She didn't mind that, because usually she was used to being last in everything. "I am a Powerpuff Girl, a girl born with special powers that I use to protect people and make this city safe." She sighed. That was so... plain. She wished someone could narrate this for her, adding their own little input to how it was all said. She hated her limited vocabulary and often went to Blossom for advice. Dexter, meanwhile, had recommended she try a few crosswords.

"My favourite subject is art class! That's where I can draw and colour and make things with my own hands and I think that's something wonderful that any person can do. I'm very shy some of the time, but at other times I love talking to people and making new friends! I... uhhh..." she paused, realising that she needed more content for this segment before she began describing her earlier life - one of the assessment points. What else was there about school that she really... aha! She scribbled on the paper "Since joining Megaville Ele... Eleme... um..." she'd ask the Professor how to spell that later, "many exciting things have happened. My new friends are Mandy, who doesn't speak much about herself but who I think is really cool, Susie and Tootie who always hang out together, and Mike who is doing a special exchange before going back to the island where she was staying. And I really... really" she began to grin as she jotted words down, her handwriting so flurried that what she wrote was barely intelligible "love Courage the school dog! In fact I love animals of all kinds and if I had one dream that I wanted to come true, it'd be that every animal in the world could get along with people and with each other so that there'd be no more extinction, no more whaling and everyone could own the kind of pet they want!" Bubbles felt her heart beating faster as she ended the sentence with a period. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.

WE ARE ALL GRIDS

Postby bob-dude » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:26 am

Blaze/off topic: Never said he would write it, those where just ideas that first popped into my head. I do have others I'd like to see, such as a story of TentoRaijin when he was starting out (huge fan of his yet to busy/lazy to remember to reread his back story :redface: ) or a story featuring the Helix girls and what they and their powers CAN'T do(ie their limits, flaws), we get it Girds, their power, cute, and awesome, now show us something new for pet's sake(again my thoughts/opinions, now flying fruit please). Those are some things I'd like to see, way more then the other suggested stories, those two were just random fanish wishing was all.

On topic: Shouldn't Buttercup know better then to belittle Bubbles sense of worth? What with what happened when she went nuts and all in the show and all you'd think that green meany would have learned something from that, such as 'never piss off a blond'. :unsure: Still, good to see Girds give others the spot light for a change of pace.

Griddles: Well you know I am sadistic... I'll only kill a character when their purpose is served.

Postby BlazingBarrager » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:01 am

bob-dude wrote:Blaze/off topic: Never said he would write it, those where just ideas that first popped into my head. I do have others I'd like to see, such as a story of TentoRaijin when he was starting out (huge fan of his yet to busy/lazy to remember to reread his back story :redface: ) or a story featuring the Helix girls and what they and their powers CAN'T do(ie their limits, flaws), we get it Girds, their power, cute, and awesome, now show us something new for pet's sake(again my thoughts/opinions, now flying fruit please). Those are some things I'd like to see, way more then the other suggested stories, those two were just random fanish wishing was all.

On topic: Shouldn't Buttercup know better then to belittle Bubbles sense of worth? What with what happened when she went nuts and all in the show and all you'd think that green meany would have learned something from that, such as 'never piss off a blond'. :unsure: Still, good to see Girds give others the spot light for a change of pace.

Apparently because you can't figure out the limits/flaws of their powers yourself.

Postby bob-dude » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:41 pm

Blaze: *Nods sagely* Won't argue with you there, I have more then enough of my stupid moments from time to time that I'm willing to admit without shame, the limits/flaws of the Helix girls is just one of them. (in other words just throw me a freaking bone and just tell me already and get it over with, never going to be able to figure it out with my inferior brain and what not and I might as well know what they/it/whatever are and move on with myself. Think of it this way: The more I know, the less I come off as a spoiled brat. :) )

Off topic: Also have anyone ever noticed the similarities between Dr. Manhattan of the Watchman and Blood? Think about it, they both have somewhat similar back stories for their powers (both got it from science gone wrong), Blood at the very least is called a Goddess and/or calls herself one and Dr. Matt, if you ever read the graphic novel, definitely had God-like powers. And they both could change the world if they wanted to, main difference is Jon was too into being a nudist to bother to waste time ruling the world. (note that be a JOKE :roll: ) It's just an honest FREAKING harmless comparison is all.

Postby BlazingBarrager » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

bob-dude wrote:Blaze: *Nods sagely* Won't argue with you there, I have more then enough of my stupid moments from time to time that I'm willing to admit without shame, the limits/flaws of the Helix girls is just one of them. (in other words just throw me a freaking bone and just tell me already and get it over with, never going to be able to figure it out with my inferior brain and what not and I might as well know what they/it/whatever are and move on with myself. Think of it this way: The more I know, the less I come off as a spoiled brat. :) )

Off topic: Also have anyone ever noticed the similarities between Dr. Manhattan of the Watchman and Blood? Think about it, they both have somewhat similar back stories for their powers (both got it from science gone wrong), Blood at the very least is called a Goddess and/or calls herself one and Dr. Matt, if you ever read the graphic novel, definitely had God-like powers. And they both could change the world if they wanted to, main difference is Jon was too into being a nudist to bother to waste time ruling the world. (note that be a JOKE :roll: ) It's just an honest FREAKING harmless comparison is all.

Dude...I swear you lose me at times.

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:09 am

@bob: tstupid;dr

I begin to notice BC was getting worse in the attitude aspect of hers... I dunno if she's already like that but, yeah, she's becoming more of an ass lately.... The Three Es might be spreading their influence on her. That's bad D:<
Not-an-animator

Postby matt8555 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:36 am

Kusang_Manalo wrote:@bob: tstupid;dr

I begin to notice BC was getting worse in the attitude aspect of hers... I dunno if she's already like that but, yeah, she's becoming more of an ass lately.... The Three Es might be spreading their influence on her. That's bad D:<

Could just be from the frustration of knowing she got so messed up without even getting into the fight. Being reduced to her currently unhealthy state has to be bad but the knowledge that it occurred not from a heroic battle in which she had a (slight) chance but because of her own actions and attitude has to be rough. And the coughing and such is like a constant reminder. Seems quite in character that she'd lash out a bit from the situation.

PreviousNext

Return to Literature