Vegedus' art thread {SPAAACE OOOPRAH 5/7/13}

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Dainen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:59 pm

well... the best way is to get a photo or someone to pose in that way >_< the becoming larger when closer effect works most of the time, 5 times larger is a little much though :) but i'd like to see the subtle enlargement if you have pics, it sounds interesting

Postby Vegedus » Wed May 28, 2008 4:20 pm

My scanner hasn't worked for a long time. And it still doesn't. And it sucks. Not only does it mean that I can't actually scan in stuff, it also means that my drive as a whole has sorta gone. What can I say, I'm weak. So I haven't drawn a lot in hand lately. I've scribbled a good deal in Painchat, scribbles you can see in that thread. I'm generally dead scared of doing anything entirely on the computer, unless it's those uncommitting scribbles I did there. But, I did manage at one point to make up something from scratch in photoshop. Of course, now that I can't really practice poses and such, I'm experimenting with painting and coloring styles instead. As a result, thse two took 6 hours or something to make.

I had numerous other versions but they were just too damn fugly. Have I mentioned I'm basically working on two coloring and inking styles? I angsted over having to choose between a stylised and a realistic style, but ended up just doing both. That way, I can use the realistic for covers and pretty shiz, and the stylised for the actual comic that I'm gonna do at some point. There's definitely no doubt as to which one is more "aesthetically" pleasing, but the trouble is I don't really aim to be that. I want to have a dark and gritty style, but I suck at it. Every time I make something kinda like it I think "Nooo, this is too ugly!" and everytime I make something that looks good I think "Nooo, this isn't emo enough!". Bleh. Come to think of it, I also made a soft shaded version of Kamina, just to see if it could go together with heavy lines at all. Didn't actually turn out as bad as I thought it would.

Bleh, too many headshots. My main problem with the soft shading right now is that the way I do it usually makes it turn out a bit grunchy or dirty in some areas (right chin). I could solve this by making use of Opacity instead of Flow, but that gives it a sort of Japanese Visual Novel look that I don't like all too much.

I whine too much.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Re: Vegedus' stuff - Lack of scanner makes for a sad Veggie

Postby rossfellow » Wed May 28, 2008 4:27 pm

Blonde dude kinda reminds me of Kevin 11 from Ben 10. xD

Postby Vegedus » Wed May 28, 2008 4:32 pm

Never seen him. I've only seen like 2 episodes of Ben 10.

It's interesting to hear you think it's a dude though. When I started to draw, I had no concept of character, gender or anything. I couldn't really tell which one I ended up with either.

Postby Coos » Wed May 28, 2008 4:43 pm

The first picture, I really like. The coloring you do is amazing.

Postby Vegedus » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:48 pm

You say that every time, Coos :P

Anyways, still no scanner, so I'm wrestling a bit more with drawing from scratch digitally. I could use a better tablet.

The upside is I can really make layers upon layers of stickmen, concepts, roughs and so on, and everything is tweak-able. Not to mention the almighty ctrl-z. The downside is I really need all these functions to compensate for the bad hand-to-eye coordination.

Anyways, this is a new OC, still unnamed, from another story I've just made up (I do that all the time). He's got some nanomaschines that enable him to shoot lightning from his arm. Notice there's a grey area where the density of the nanos is really high. I think the lightning came out ok, but I need to get better at it if I'm gonna draw him more.

The story is, while largly unrelated to Sin City, part of the "Grand Timeline Project". Some artists make up grand universes with many stories in it. I think that's really neat, but I suck at making up these alternate universes, so I've instead set the setting as earth, just placing the stories on different parts of a consistent timeline, stretches out from today and onto the year 3000 at least. That way, one story might become the background of another. Perhaps a world-changing war is briefly mentioned in one story, another might be set DURING this war. Several stories might be set in The City, so one can see how it changes across time.

Anyways, here's also a thing I did 'fast' for Shoi's birthday.

I trust she'll get the reference even if you don't (unless 'you' is shoi, then you'll probably still get it). There is something pleasing about taking downer characters like Ivenks and mocking them.

Postby Coos » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:51 pm

I left my comment on DA :D
And fuck, I should really make something for Miss Shoi >.>

Postby Dainen » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:31 pm

both your styles are pretty good ^^ and the grungy/dirty look does give it more realism then clean strokes i though so it's ok for it to be there. else i means more cleanup for you ^^;

Postby Vegedus » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:15 pm

Argh, I keep meaning to reply, but then I don't for some reason, and then it gets awkward as time goes on, and then I end up responding a billion years later when I update the thread again, making it even more awkward. So, uh, yeah, I don't mean to ignore you or anything, I'm just stupid. Keep commenting, I appreciate everyone of them :D [size=2]('cept Rockwell's *cough*)[/size=2]

But yeah, it's true realistic skin is grungy. I've made use of some "dirty" texture layers before to make light of that. And it's true, shadows don't really fall as evenly as pretty pictures would let you believe. Hell, I could perhaps turn that into a style of it's own. "Grungy, gritty, soft shading". I need to experiment more.

Anyways, there seems to be this notion going around that I like eyes, especially drawing them. I protest! If you are one of those that claim so, I will have my Imageon you!
Okay, sorry, that was horrible. This is a "sequel" to the red eyes I did not so long ago in Pchat. This one was done in photoshop, and I bet you can guess which program is the better.

And man, I feel I'm sooooo close to "getting" digital painting. There is something, the whole not making lines, not making contours, that irks me and always goes wrong when I try. I swear there is some secret to making different object contrast properly without lines.

Postby Shoi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:31 pm

O: Thank you for the b-day gift!! *huggles* :3 <3 Lol, and I got the reference :3 Thanks again!
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Do you know where i live? Fucking Barbados.
Whatis6times9:
It was about as easy as... Goddammit, it is to easy. And to me a whore is just a slut with a good sense of enterprise.

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:58 pm

Ah, good you saw it :D
I was afraid you had left the forum again or something and would never get to see all the hard effort I put into that drawing (lie).

Postby Vegedus » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Hay guyz! Remember me? Yeah, I'm pretty much dead. My scanner is still busted, and worse yet, I haven't really felt like drawing as of late. Because I'm weak. But, I thought I could show you something else I've been working on. Yeah, I hopped on the AMV wagon. It feels weird to show something not even half finished like this, but this baby has already taken up more hours than I've spent on most of my drawings...

Postby Coos » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:46 pm

Hm, I was wondering where your art has been.
Sorry to hear, but I like the AMV. I think the song goes well with the video.

Postby whispersoul » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:55 pm

I love Code Geass.
I love Kallen.
Nice Trailer, Vegedus.
And speaking of your arts... They're awesome. If possible, please update some more :D
McDurg- I dunno' whispaho, I've seen some pretty hot things in my life. Like myself. I masturbate to my own image every day. :D Naw. How about all three of us combine, in the form of a sexy Godzilla? We would totally fuck Mothra.
Alfimi - *sighs*....things i have to do *corners whisper against the wall* *unbutons shirt**flashes**butons shirt up again* there, enjoy your hearty.
Coos - Whisper's a bitch. :D
Malumultimus - Whisper...you are my favorite worshipper.
Mal again - Nyaaaa~

Postby Vegedus » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:06 pm

I'll try, but sketching digitally is really a pain for me.

For the rest of the video, there's likely to be more Guren than Kallen though.

Postby whispersoul » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:16 pm

Damn great arts, I say. It's really creative.
Overall, the coloring is what matters for me. Because I don't know how to color yet. >_>

Hmm.. Guren over Kallen. Works too. I'll watch it anyways :D
McDurg- I dunno' whispaho, I've seen some pretty hot things in my life. Like myself. I masturbate to my own image every day. :D Naw. How about all three of us combine, in the form of a sexy Godzilla? We would totally fuck Mothra.
Alfimi - *sighs*....things i have to do *corners whisper against the wall* *unbutons shirt**flashes**butons shirt up again* there, enjoy your hearty.
Mal again - Nyaaaa~

Postby Vegedus » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:28 pm

Hah, I could see why you'd like my thread if colors is what matters. You know, it's only my sketching that's impaired, I could color something of yours, if you want.

Postby whispersoul » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:32 am

Holy Cow, and I even plan on reviving my Art Thread. O_O
How the hell did you know?? XD
Mal again - Nyaaaa~

Postby Vegedus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:43 am

I didn't. I just searched around and noticed you had an art thread. Didn't realise how old it was.

No, wait, scratch that, I HAS PSYCHIC POWERS!

Postby whispersoul » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:07 pm

L0L.
Well, since you offered, maybe I'll let you color some of my drawings. Ehhh... It's kinda embarassing, but please do :D
Mal again - Nyaaaa~

Postby Vegedus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:38 pm

First things first. You say you've improved, so I'll wait until you post something new and crisp. I'm not going to color something old that's no longer relevant.

Postby Dainen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:02 pm

yay moar colours :D and cool AMV, keep it up

Postby whispersoul » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:49 pm

Vegedus wrote:First things first. You say you've improved, so I'll wait until you post something new and crisp. I'm not going to color something old that's no longer relevant.

Of course I'll update my new drawings.
Like I said, I'm embarrassed, but I'll to accept your offer ^^;
Really, my past drawing sucks. Good thing I improved a bit.
Mal again - Nyaaaa~

Re: Vegedus' stuff - AMV you say? -

Postby Vegedus » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:52 pm

Update-paloza!!

It's only sketches though.

Anyways, I've gone to this special kinda school. Here I will learn to draw. And drink a lot of beer. Even though I will draw a lot I won't be updating since I don't even have a scanner here. So, I thought I'd leave you with some sketches until I come back, a better artist than evarrr. Also, the AMV project have incurred a major setback (third time that happens) so I might not continue it. Don't have time right now, anyways.

Anyways, sketches.

It's Angel! With a mask, now. I like the sketchyness of this one.

Hellsing Ultimate is da shit and so is the eyes.

Viral needs more fanart considering he's actually my favourite TTGL character. This one didn't come out bad and there's even a teeny bit of messed up perspective in it.

The special thing about this one is I just started drawing it casually, top to bottom, and the proportions somehow came out really nice. I didn't even finish it, I was just like "whoa, you could actually be a human and I didn't work it".

Made from the sketch above. I kinda dislike it as all the nice sketchyness is gone and the colors aren't interesting. The mask is supposed to be a smooth, rubber like surface shaped after a man's face, but only approximately, to make it a bit uncanny.

A quick sketch for the challenge yourself comptetion I never bothered much with. The joke is that mercury is so close to the sun, the sun think of him as a friend, but mercury just wants to be somewhere colder.

And that's it. The next update probably won't be for 5 months.

Oh yeah, I should mention Still City is a bit dead and Unlimited has replaced it. Whatever that means to you guys.

Re: Vegedus' stuff - Art? This is spartaaa! -

Postby Coos » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Where has this been?

ahhh, good to see your stuff again, Veg.
ANd I must say, big improvements. Nice

PreviousNext

Return to Art