Faust's Art Thread (Full Power!!)

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Faust777 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:06 pm

Ive been gone a while, guys. Been busy with school and lifes been hectic but yeah im back so more art xD
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, sit back, relax, and let the world wonder how the fuck you did it.
My art thread~
Nabichan: Seriously, you are the epitome of all that is awesome in the world
Dinosaurpirate: Well yeah, could anyone so weird be anything BUT an artist?
Vegedus: Theres only rape is theres a tentacle monster
Mcdurg:@Faust: Win.
Fenrisulfrhell, even if i broke one of my arms, i still have the other one, two legs, an elbow, a head, two knees, my hips, and my feet to beat their ass
Prinny Captain

Postby Ivanssj4 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:13 am

Can't wait, bro.
Bleedman Crossover - FINNISHED!!! Ze Art of mine

Vampire - A word of Serbian origin, deriving from the early Russian Upir, a term first widely used in Serbia under Austrian rule in the famous Peter Plogojewitch/Arnold Paole vampire-encounter cases.

Thank you.

Postby Black » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:35 am

Welcome back. You have been missed. Can't wait to see your new art.
Click to visit my art thread.

Postby Faust777 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:40 pm

I uploaded art on page 1 xD
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, sit back, relax, and let the world wonder how the fuck you did it.
My art thread~
Fenrisulfrhell, even if i broke one of my arms, i still have the other one, two legs, an elbow, a head, two knees, my hips, and my feet to beat their ass
Prinny Captain

Postby Ivanssj4 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:02 am

As far as art goes, ya took the longer road.

Oh, and try to scan your stuff to be a bit darker. This was a sore to see because of the paleness.
Bleedman Crossover - FINNISHED!!! Ze Art of mine

Vampire - A word of Serbian origin, deriving from the early Russian Upir, a term first widely used in Serbia under Austrian rule in the famous Peter Plogojewitch/Arnold Paole vampire-encounter cases.

Thank you.

Postby ROCKWELL » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:09 pm

your getting bettr.
Rockwells arts n comics
"Lord Soth"--It's just so bland without you here. Spam forum without Rockwell is not win.
"krimson-Death"--...Ur probably one of the best artists ive seen on snafu...
"ZoulArt"-- I've read your comics and your a super mega awsome comic artist...Your getting better and better at what you do so keep it up!
"teran4ever"--No one cares if you are a skilled artist, you are a total douche.
"Brax4"--Rockwell, seriously, your comics rock, probably one of my favorite artists on the site...
"EagleMan"--Congratulations rockwell. You have become a legend to these people...
"whispersoul"--Woah, Rockwell. Awesome works. It's been a while since I've seen your arts. and I'm glad that your talents are still the shit.
"Boymonkey130"--Rockwell....Your crap flies forth at mach speed. It destroys all in its path, and... then catches fire, obliterating those who oppose you. I WORSHIP your crap.

Re: Faust's Art Thread::New Art!!!!!!(All uploaded on page 1)::

Postby Chuckledarkly » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:50 am

good stuff ^^
Check Out My Art

-----> viewtopic.php?t=23012Cheak <-----

Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.
Proud Member of BEOS

Postby sam4books » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:47 pm

The guy with the big teeth scares me o_O
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby FrozenDream » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:50 pm

nice. you're getting better ^^
我喝茶。你喝茶?

Re: Faust's Art Thread (im back...)

Postby Faust777 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:33 am

Im back baby!!
My art thread~
Prinny Captain

Re: Faust's Art Thread (im back...)

Postby Faust777 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:22 am

I AM REVIVING MY OLD THREAD AS I ONCE AGAIN HAVE NEED OF THE CRITICISM/ADVICE OF THE SNAFU ART FORUM PEOPLE.
Back when i first was on here about... wow like 6 or 7 years ago there were a ton of awesome people. Ive been drawing a ton since way back then and i have actually finished writing my series and am working on drawing the whole thing out, but i still lack skills at inking/coloring my work via computer. :unsure:
...so some help there would be appreciated. :D
but also, for your consideration, i have new art to show you guys! :grin:
My art thread~
Prinny Captain

Re: Faust's Art Thread (Its been a while, snafu..)

Postby ari-6 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:44 pm

Hello new old guy. I am fairly new here. It must be weird, all your old friends not coming around so often. But their are plenty of new people here to get to know. I would love to see how much you have improved in the last 6 years since you last posted. 6 years is a heck of allot of practice time. you must have gotten really good. I would offer any advice about computer art that I can but to be honest, I am not that good with a computer myself.
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Sigment » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:26 pm

Always nice to see people return to Snafu. Nice to meet you, Faust. I saw the art you added to the thread, and I like it. I'm still a complete rookie at this, so I don't think I'll be able to provide any valuable advice. :'(

Ah, well. Looking to seeing what else you bring to the forum.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Hello and nice to meet you Faust.
Your little avatar guy is so adorable.
Hope to see some of your work soon.
Bark

Re: Faust's Art Thread (Super-sized Update!!)

Postby Faust777 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:10 pm

thanks for the warm welcome, fellas! I just uploaded basically everything lol
more in a couple days!
(all updates on page 1)
My art thread~
Prinny Captain

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Hey ho, won't know you, but welcome back and hope you stick around, always could do with more artists.
Had a quick look over your art and already noticed one thing that was already missing... shade. You probably plan to do that digitally or something, but it's always good to plan where you want to put the shadow, but right now it's harder to judge how 3D your work is. It looks 3D already, but not enough, one guy thrusting his waist out doesn't look like he has a crotch, because he could use some shade between his thighs to stop him looking like a floating piece of paper. But your work is very good and I'd look through it more but the way you've uploaded it is too small.

P.S. Ari-6, you are really good at digital art, that's a fact, still wanting to know how you do your character's beautiful hair shine.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Ruxan Kikilin » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Yo! Welcome back! That is quite a gallery that you have. There is definitely improvement between each year.

Hmm... Have you thought about drawing from reference? Your anatomy is alright, but it can be better. Your figure is a little stiff on some images, wonky on others. Pixelovely is a good place to find some people to draw and practice with. There's an option there to draw clothed people if you don't like nudies.

As for inking/coloring, here's a tutorial I find useful:

Kuitsuku's Line and Color Tut

And if you have a mouse and not a tablet, this one covers how to make some line art with the pen tool (second method):

Joulee's Line Clean-Up
dA
o -o

Postby Faust777 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:30 pm

@thy obsessive freak-Thanks man i changed the size to 800x600 should be better for the eyes now

@ruxan kikilin- thanks for the sites i will definitely check them out. Also thanks for the crits, ill keep getting better :)
Prinny Captain

Postby Faust777 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:14 am

hey i checked out those tutorials and this was the result of my first attempt at coloring in photoshop.
honestly it didn't turn out like i thought it would. hmmm any pointers, folks?
My art thread~
Prinny Captain

Postby ari-6 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:40 pm

Your figure drawing can always use work but were you just asking about colour? I would say, use different levels of darker colours for the shade and also try to include light as well as dark. Colouring is not really what I am best at so I don't have much advice other than lots of practice and to look at how others do it.
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:31 pm

Ignore Ari. He's fantastic at coloring.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Ruxan Kikilin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:57 am

I concur with Blood Lord. Ari's a beast at coloring. Really, he's good at cel-shading.

There’s some color bleeding on the scarf, jacket, and shoes. Try to stay within the lines, unless you want to try something out like radiosity. But if you are, then you’ll need some better understanding on how light interacts with the form and its surroundings.

Speaking of form, Ari’s right about your figures needing more work. You might want to pin that down before tackling color, since your coloring is going to be based on what you put down on paper. You don’t have to get super duper good before coloring, just enough so you have a sense of where things belong and how light will work.

Here’s this tumblr tutorial on how to get started on drawing from reference. Simply put, look at things and copy it. Too hard to copy? Break it down to its basic shapes: circles, squares, and triangles. Trace if you have to, but as the tutorial says, that’s just for practice. Don’t claim it as your own!

Aaaas for coloring…Ah gee this one is a huge topic.

Ari laid down a nice foundation in his post: various darker colors for shade, lighter colors for highlights. As for where do those shades and highlights belong? The easiest way to determine this is just to get a feel for it and look at as many references pictures you can find. Obviously, areas closer to the light are lighter, areas away from the light or covered are darker. Different shapes will cast shadows and reflect light differently (haha redundancy is my middle name).

Here is what I’m getting at

Notice the shadows on the shapes? They’re not hugging the lines. Keep this under your cap.

I would drop off many more a links, but my time’s almost up for now. So, happy art-ing, keep up the work, practice, and importantly, have fun and don’t be afraid to ask or something. This goes for whoever else stumbles upon this post as well.
dA
o -o

Postby Faust777 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:55 am

Thanks for all the tips guys im actually a little embarrassed to admit that ive been using references for a while and this drawing was the first i did without them :/

Haha but this one was actually a little bit ago and i can even notice improvement between this one and the ones i did today. But im definitely gonna try and work on everything that was suggested. I would appreciate some advice on exactly what is wrong with my figures so i can do better, like if any of you would be willing to go through my last 5-10 drawings and just gimme like a sentence on each one of how i could improve it. (besides working with references, i already do that a lot)

But mainly i was asking for pointers on the coloring. I decided to use a older drawing rather than a brand new one because i knew that it wasnt going to turn out perfect on my first try anyway. But as for my first try i definitely see what you guys see about it.
I need to try shading as if there is actually a lighting source. Im just not really used to imagining the light source due to consistently working on my line art, so thats something im gonna definitely try to conquer. im just kinda a photoshop retard and ive never really used it too much. I have a tablet but i have never used it enough to get really good at using it so im retarded at that too. :)

But practice makes perfect and you guys' pointers/crits will help me grow as an artist so im gonna keep trying till im really good at it. That was kinda the point of reviving my thread to begin with lol
Anyway, i will have new uploads later today and im actually really proud of these upcoming ones i feel like i leveled up hahaha lol
Last edited by Faust777 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Prinny Captain

Re: Faust's Art Thread (Still back, desu)

Postby Faust777 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:37 am

Updates are up!
also...

@Ruxan thanks for the links i checked em out and found them very helpful

@ari-6 i checked out your art gallery on DA and honestly i am flat out jealous of your coloring skill, yous is awesome

@blood lord you were right
My art thread~
Prinny Captain

Re: Faust's Art Thread (still back, desu)

Postby Cerulean » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:19 am

Hello there! I'm wayyyyy late, but welcome back to the forums! I've looked through some of your artwork, and can tell that you've improved over the years.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing more! c:
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Art