Sam4books-Official Gallery[The Tunnel]Skip to 68

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Sam4books-Official Gallery[The Tunnel]Skip to 68

Postby sam4books » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:38 pm

Okay I'm new here and I'm crazy about anything that has multiple universes, faeries, Gir, and candy ^_^ I am an artist in the making who dreams of working for Nickelodeon or Disney. I like creating my own worlds and expanding others and my fav thing to eat is cranberries w00t

Yeah, anyways this is three of my characters from the Chronicles of Rathia; (from left to right) Amy, Martha, and Jynx. They world NEVER consider eachother friends (with the exception of Martha). Amy constantly makes fun of Jynx, calling her "Freak" and thinks Martha is too "Goody-goody". Jynx on the other hand thinks Martha and Amy are just plain annoying. YAY COMPLICATED FRIENDSHIPS!

Also; I only have GIMP so please don't make fun of my suckyness >.<

EDIT: It seems that I forgot to put my username in my topic title o.O

Luckily someone was nice enough to do that for me.....sorry about that ^^' Damn...I got alot to learn.....<_<
Last edited by sam4books on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:46 am, edited 183 times in total.
In passing

Postby sam4books » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:19 pm

Thanks ^^ I hope so too!
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Re: Sam4books New Artist With Her Own Style-Best Friends

Postby leddkire » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:37 pm

Welcome! GIMP is not sucky at all. It can be compared to photoshop and best of all its free!

Interesting characters, hope to see more of them. Are you planning on making a comic about them?

And now some critique! Marthas head is very big in relation to the other two, and she seems to have very little shoulder space.

And where are Jynx's hands?

It looks like Amy is being pierced by the fence. You might try to shorten her legs and raise her up a little so it looks more like shes on top of it rather than through it :P

Ok then, hope you enjoy your stay in SNAFU ;)

Postby sam4books » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:39 pm

Thanks and yes I am planning a comic. In fact I already have one!

http://cor.smackjeeves.com/

The pages at the beginning are VERY old, so I might have to redo most of them.
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Re: Sam4books; New Artist With Her Own Style-Official Galler

Postby sam4books » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:18 pm

Made this for the sake of advertisment ^^' Also I'm going to start redoing some stuff after I finish a few art projects. So, this might be the new cover page.....depends on what you guys think. Though I want to put more stuff in the real cover page. When I'm done I'll let you decide -__-

Anyways the thing she's holding is supposed to be a handle for like a bag or something. I tried my hardest at the transparent shirt.....I'm a sucker at transparency and for some reason GIMP won't let me have multiple layers Oxo

Though I DO like how her face and the letters came out (I learned a couple new tricks ^^).

Okay, I'm done. And now for something random! :rock:
In passing

Postby Faust777 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:37 pm

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay, and dont spill anything on the couch. What? A Big black stain? My bad.
Anyways, welcome to Snafu, nice art, keep improving.
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, sit back, relax, and let the world wonder how the fuck you did it.
My art thread~
Nabichan: Seriously, you are the epitome of all that is awesome in the world
Dinosaurpirate: Well yeah, could anyone so weird be anything BUT an artist?
Vegedus: Theres only rape is theres a tentacle monster
Mcdurg:@Faust: Win.
Fenrisulfrhell, even if i broke one of my arms, i still have the other one, two legs, an elbow, a head, two knees, my hips, and my feet to beat their ass
Prinny Captain

Postby sam4books » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:42 pm

Thanks ^^

*Looks at the black stain* I'm not cleaning that up.
In passing

Postby Jingle Males » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:44 pm

Welcome. And very nice work ya got here in this little thread of yours.
Youre Gold. Act like it
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Faust777 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:04 pm

Malebolgia the mad one wrote:Welcome. And very nice work ya got here in this little thread of yours.

it wont b little 4 very long tho'
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, sit back, relax, and let the world wonder how the fuck you did it.
My art thread~
Nabichan: Seriously, you are the epitome of all that is awesome in the world
Dinosaurpirate: Well yeah, could anyone so weird be anything BUT an artist?
Vegedus: Theres only rape is theres a tentacle monster
Mcdurg:@Faust: Win.
Fenrisulfrhell, even if i broke one of my arms, i still have the other one, two legs, an elbow, a head, two knees, my hips, and my feet to beat their ass
Prinny Captain

Postby leddkire » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:05 pm

Hello, it's time for some critique!

You should raise his shoulders and make them wider. And I also think you should make his upper body and arms shorter.

I don't understand his expression. Is he scared?

The coloring looks nice, though I tihnk it would be better if it'd be darker.

Keep making more art, they're very interesting.

Postby sam4books » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:33 pm

Actually it's more of a nervous expression ^^' Thanks for the critique though :D
In passing

Postby sam4books » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:55 pm

For Shame

Black and White Version: http://sam4books.deviantart.com/art/For ... W-71596571

Colored Version: http://sam4books.deviantart.com/art/For ... d-73035940

When I was drawing the guy I wanted something mysterious, something that would hint at how the Metapadians think. The Metapadians are a race of faceless humanoids who breath in carbon dioxide through their gills (which is why they surround themselves with animals) and produce offspring asexually via fertalization. They're very attracted to beauty and are jealous of humans, thus forever bent on snatching human faces deemed worthy (which earned them the nickname, "Face Snatchers"). Unfortunately for them this led them to be banished to the mirror realm known as "Veil", though that didn't stop them from stealing faces via mirror (which led them to be called by humans, "Mirror Demons").

Now what's the story behind this guy? Unfortunately for you I'd rather you figure that out for yourself ;)
In passing

Postby Vegedus » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:18 pm

What I am going to tell you is a secret amongst secrets that have passed down through generation upon generation of artists:

Lens flare, just don't.

It's generally considered a cheap and tacky effect. It is best avoided.

Also, as far as I can tell, you've put an gradient over the two of your latest colored pictures. It doesn't really look right. It makes the whole pictures kinda wishy-washy and hard to discern. Gradients has their uses, though. I'd suggest, instead, to only apply the gradient to the colored layer (depending on how you work) so the lines and background isn't affected by it.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Fummo » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:22 pm

Nice art you have here and a good DA page. Welcome to the art section hahahaha

Postby sam4books » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:59 am

@Vegedus: Thanks for the tip Vegedus, yeah I'll do that in the next picture that'll be done totally in photoshop. This picture unfortunately was started and finished in GIMP before I got Elements and like I said before, it doesn't let me have multi-layers. Maybe I should play around with photoshop and see if I can come up with some way to create a custom made background that goes behind the picture. That is, if I figure out how to put things behind the picture first. God, my head hurts -__-

MENTAL NOTE: Don't use lens flares God damn it!

@Alpha: Thanks ^^
In passing

Postby sam4books » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:26 pm

Wise Women FTW

I honestly don't know why I drew this, I was bored okay? As I went along it turned out to be an indian wisewomen type person thingy, hence the title. Women can be wise too and don't you forget it *nya*. Yeah...now if you excuse me I'm going to find some way to reduce my hand cramp 'cause took an enternity to finish this (not really :P).

Oh, and if you want to see the original it can be found here;

http://sam4books.deviantart.com/art/Wis ... W-75035154

Some critiqueing would be nice too :3
In passing

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:46 pm

Hm, you're doing one of the most common mistakes when it comes to shading: You're mostly shading a specific amount along every other edge. This makes things appear rather square, or hexagonal, rather. If you want to dabble into softshading, it should fade softly away from the highlight. Look at something like this and look and try to apply it to other shapes.

It looks pretty cool othervise.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby sam4books » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:54 pm

Imma go try it now and see how I like it compared to my old shading technique.

If I like it: Yay! A new shading technique! ^^

If not: *is stone'd*

Thanks anyways ^^ Where would I be without people like you?
In passing

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:26 pm

Heh, no problem.

Note that this is not simply a shading technique, it is The Shading Technique. It's as old as the renaissances painters and used by about anyone who wants to shade realistically.

It might be a little extensive to use though. If you wanna try cellshading, you're still following the same principles, but define the borders between highlight, shadow and deep shadow harshly.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby sam4books » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:44 pm

Hmm...come to think of it, I always wanted to try cell-shading.....yet I didn't know how to do it ^^'
In passing

Postby sam4books » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:14 am

Okay, here's the deal I'm planning on starting a new project and I've been doing ALOT of character designing, landscape designing, script writing, poem making and what-not. The comic is called "They" (I love that title, so mysteriosu don't you think?) and it basically revolves around the seven deadly sins, the fruit of the spirit, and an abandoned catholic church filled with a bunch of tormented souls and possessed items (creatures I deemed "The Forsaken"). No it's not intended to be religious (though there are some religious references), instead I want it to be gory and horrifyingly gruesome. I don't know when it's going start, I have to think about how to start it first and I need some more plot devices. I can't wait to start it though. Just so you know, it's based off of a dream I had so it might take awhile......yeah.

Anyways here's my design for the main character;

Name: Miniqwa Pey Fillmore
Sin Alignment: Wrath (she hates her stepbrother, stepsister, stepfather, mother, babies, etc.)

NOTE: Her REAL father was African American (died in war, was in the Marines) and mother is Irish. She's a mix just to clear that up. So does she look agressive enough, does she look like she's mad at the world? How old does she look? Can you tell she's a mix? Please give me feedback (there's something wrong with her freckles I know it....)
In passing

Postby Black » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:03 pm

I think freckles might look better if you remove the black outline on them, or at least use lighter outline. Never done freckles myself, but I THINK it should look better... Her skin color looks allright for a "mix" - not too bright, not too dark. She does look angry... Though, I think you could make her even angrier if you want her to look like she's "mad at the world". And as for age... I was never good at guessing people's age.
Click to visit my art thread.

Postby sam4books » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback ^^ You should try freckles sometime ^^
In passing

Postby sam4books » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:32 pm

Okay, there's one thing I'm certain of, there's gonna be ALOT of blood in this comic. This is basically a peek on just how much blood A large majority of my characters will die in my comic, but I won't say who. Some will die slowly, depending either if their strong or willful enough to live, and let me tell you, there ain't that many Some will die very quickly (I'll let you use your imagination). I don't want to talk about who dies or not any longer so I'll just move on to the Character Descriptions.

Name: Miniqwa (Mini) Pey Fillmore
Height: 5' 2"
Deadly Sin: Wrath
Fav Color(s): Green, Tan, and Brown
Likes: Wrestling, her father, the Army, Guns, Action Movies, Rock Music U.S.A., Beef, and Football
Dislikes: Her Mother, her Stepfather, her Stepfather, her Stepsister, Babies, Babysitting, Dresses, The School System, Curches, Being Lectured, Veges, Hippies, and Being Poor
Personality: Agressive and Rebellious

This is my first time using blood so some critiquing would be nice. Yeah, I think that's about it....
In passing

Postby Black » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:31 pm

I have a question for you. How did you manage to make a 1.79 mb png image, when uncompressed version in bmp format is 1.3 mb? It would be nice if you could convert your images to jpeg format from now on, 'cause then they'd probably be less than 100 kb.

And about the image:
The average adult has a blood volume of roughly 5 litres, and since your character is a kid, she probably have even less. I know many movies, animes and mangas have even more blood than this, but it always bugged me how a character can bleed out a small pond of blood and survive. I think making spilled blood lines thiner will make it look a bit more realistic.
Click to visit my art thread.

Next

Return to Art