Vegedus' art thread {SPAAACE OOOPRAH 5/7/13}

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Shoi » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:04 pm

Curse your skills! Curse them!!
lol, very nicely done! :3
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Do you know where i live? Fucking Barbados.
Whatis6times9:
It was about as easy as... Goddammit, it is to easy. And to me a whore is just a slut with a good sense of enterprise.

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:51 am

Woo, replies!

@ Relick: Surreal? I suppose. I don't have much sense for the surreal or abstract. The only thing I really like about it was the weird dual-ear, and the way the hair grows over and under itself.

@ Ledd: Ya, seriously. It's not like they very advanced, or took very long to do, though. I could slap together a quick tutorial, but I'm not completely satisfied with them yet.

@ Crosis: I more or less started shading from the top and down, that is, Hair then skin, then shirt, then pants, then shoes. I, myself, can actually see a slight improvement in the shading, that goes in the same order. So yeah, the hair isn't that good.

And the request? Well, it certainly looks interesting, so I'll do it. But, you wouldn't be able to find me a bigger reference, would you? I can barely make out the face on that thing.

@ Coos: Thanks ^^

@ Shoi: Hey, I cursed your skills first, you know! Rawr! I will work despite the handicap! I will put my life on the line to beat you! Yoooosh!!

At any rate, as I've said elsewhere, I'm currently working at a second (third?) zodiac piece. It's such a nice, overall theme. I'm planning on fixing all of the mistakes on the other one, so it'll look more like a coherent piece than an experiment. It will include Taurus and Scorpio... And they will be cyborgs! Stay tuned.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Crosis » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:44 pm

*Nods* The picture doesn't get much bigger than that

That's about the biggest that gets, and the quality is lower than the usual.

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Well, I was thinking if the original artwork could be had, the artist surely didn't draw it that size, but I wouldn't be surprised if no such thing could be found.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:06 pm

Ah, yes, been a while hasn't it? 4th page. I'm sure you've all have waited for me to update in agony. Well, I've been a bit of an art slump lately. I simply haven't felt like drawing very often, mostly due to all of this style experimenting stuff being a bit infuriating. I'm a very indecisive person in general. I tend to min/max everything, looking at what has the most pros and the least cons and then taking that. Whenever I'm presented with something with equal amounts of these, I'm utterly confused. Hell, since I'm not very aesthetically minded, I can't even properly weigh these pros and cons!
Bah, even though this is my thread, my ranting space, that's enough emoing for now.

Trying to get to a like final product as the Zodiac thing, but using completely different tools, meant to be faster, I made this:

I failed. The coloring sucks. Bah. The perceptive with good memory to boot, will notice that the design has changed slightly. I've been redesigning Ivenks arm, no, I've been redesigning the way I design cyborgs in general!
Again, indecisive, designs of mine are always prone to change, but here's how it looks now

Give or take some lines. Inspired by other cool robot designs, it seems a bit of etchings and random lines in the metal makes it cooler.

And the requests. I haven't forgotten about them. Well, I do have a weird feeling there's a third one I have forgotten about, but anyways:

Crosis, a dragon who apparently Purges. I do mean to color and ink this one, but I haven't found out in which way? Thin lines with soft shading? Raunchy ink with cellshading (look below)? So many choices...

And some character for Hiryu I forgot the name of. This is far from the final line art, but I'm getting happy with the design. As a chronic stoner, I like the idea there'd be mushrooms, weed and Weed growing on it.

Lastly, a fairly standard Ivenks head-shot with less standard shading.

Indecisive, eh? A month ago I swore I'd never cellshade again, because soft shading is so sweet, and now I'm bouncing back. Well, not fully. It started with the inking. I wanted to do a messy, evil inking, in a style befit of Still City. I knew soft shading would never go with it. Soft + Messy = Bad. Soft shading needs to have matching thin, nearly invisible lines, as far as I can tell. Not wanting to go directly back to cellshading, I tried a different photoshop technique, mostly involving the brush and opacity 25%. And it's not too bad. It has detail, but is still hard. I think it would look better with a lower detail. Most importantly, though, it was incredibly fast and easily done. And not just because it's grey scale.

About that, I've always grayscale because it's one of those weird cases where the law of diminishing returns doesn't apply. It doesn't save that much time, but it can severely lessen the quality of a picture (how people grieve about mangas being in B&W). However, the mental difference is enormous. There's a lot of things I simply don't have to worry about, matching colors, keep watch of what colors I'm using, and so on, that makes the whole process more enjoyable.

Faster, and funner? I'm going to have to look into this.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Shoi » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:21 pm

Love the mech-arms and the coloring on the last one. :3
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Do you know where i live? Fucking Barbados.
Whatis6times9:
It was about as easy as... Goddammit, it is to easy. And to me a whore is just a slut with a good sense of enterprise.

Postby Hiryu » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:19 am

Vegedus wrote:Image

And some character for Hiryu I forgot the name of. This is far from the final line art, but I'm getting happy with the design. As a chronic stoner, I like the idea there'd be mushrooms, weed and Weed growing on it.
*rimshot*

The spirit's name is Bow. And really now, weed? I like the mushroom idea, but weed? If ya want to leave that, ya got to fix that weed drawing.
But it is going in a good direction, thanks a million sugga.

And one last thing, ya sure do like drawing hands, right?
The one true pairing of Snafu
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:44 am

@ Shoi: Thanks, glad to hear that ^^. It's actually quite helpful to know what other's think, so I don't end up with some style only I like.

@ Hiryu: Alright, I might leave out the marijuana. I couldn't really figure out a way for it to grow naturally on it.

The grass I'ma keep, though.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hiryu » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:48 am

Ya can keep it, I like it. But here's a tip. Since he talks like a brudah mon from Jamaica, how about a bit shorter grass and curly to represent an afro? XD
Curly not really needed. And ya should add thorns in the roots just for kickass... :P

And I just found out something about your avatar. It actually changes in the same page. I was starting to freak out 'cause I always saw the red eye in one and the blue eye in another.
The one true pairing of Snafu
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:54 am

Afro grass, I like! Oh yeah, thorns on roots definitely needed.

Lawl. The Avatar was meant to freak out people, so I'm glad it did. It doesn't actually change between pages (that would require coding) it's simply a very slow animation. Changes picture every 40 secs or so.

That means people usually won't actually see it change. They look away for a moment and "Huh, what the hell?"
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Crosis » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:19 pm

Yeah, that avatar had me confused for the longest time. XD

Anywho, I'm liking the way that the request is coming out so far. I eagerly await the finish product. ^^

Postby Coos » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:32 pm

Yeah, the avatar was freakin me out too.
And nice update.

Postby Vegedus » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:10 am

It was about time, wasn't it? It's my final year at school and the exams are closing in, so I've been a bit stressed out, which also leads me to procrastinate more, and art less. But I have been doing something.

This one has been half-done for a long time, and fully done for just as long. Experimenting a bit more with the gray-scale and shading, I did a like thing as last time, but put a bit more effort into it. Too much. The method used to do this one was far too slow, considering this is the style I plan on using for the eventual comic. The concept of the drawing was that I really just wanted to draw a black shadow over Ivenks eyes. It's soooo dramatic when the eyes are shadowed completely.

Kamina from Gurren Lagann. The only anime show that I've seriously wanted to do fanart for. A Kittan one is probably coming at some point too. The shading is a like technique as before, just in color.
I love the inking to death in this one. I actually inked it in hand before scanning it, but then tried inking the fast (VERY fast) digital way over it, and it looked soooo much better. So, an inking style that's faster, cooler, and funner, what's there to lose? Well, one thing. This style is usually reserved to high action scenes (look at my sig, for instance), so inking every panel and every page in this way would be weird. It would be awkward to have a sleeping character drawn with BOLD ACTION LINES!!!

And just some practice with posture and stuff. It didn't come out especially good. So the only reason I'm linking it is because I want help with it. It exemplifies one of the problems I have. Some things, such as the ridiculously position gravity center, could have been fixed by better planning (and more effort), but the main thing is the foreshortening.

When I look at the legs, they look incredibly short. They did while I was drawing them too, but the idea is, since they are extending towards the viewer, they should not be drawn longer. I really don't get foreshortening that way, because I swear I know what I'm supposed to do, but it always looks wrong.

Any advice?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Coos » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:51 pm

You did an Excellent job on Kamina; I love the hair and coloring you did.

Re: Vegedus' stuff - KAMINA!! ... and other stuff -

Postby leddkire » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:10 pm

You have drawn Kamina, and for that, I return from the grave to say: EPIC WIN

Postby Vegedus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:28 pm

Hehe, thank you, thank you. It seems my plan is already working... I will unleash moar fanart upon the unwary masses and bend their mind to my will, fu fu fu! And then I will be the most popular artist in the world!! AND I WILL SELL MERCHANDICE TO PAY FOR THE SERVERS MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

... but I'm getting ahead of myself. Fortunately, I have already managed to get another piece done and this time it's FREAKING KITTAN, YO!!

If you ask me, Kittan is the only one who is in any way comparable to Kamina in terms of manliness. Simon is determined, courageous and has all sorts of good features, but manly? Naaaaaaaah.

I started the drawing yesterday night and finished it this afternoon, so it was done after a quite acceptable amount of time. But I disgress. It's only a WIP after all. You can't say Kittan without saying King...
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Coos » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:03 pm

The eyes are just....I love em.

Postby Vegedus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:11 pm

Thanks :D I usually put a little extra effort into the eyes. These I've made a faint trace of a spiral in, as a reference to the shows theme.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Coos » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:13 pm

You've always been ridiculously awesome at eyes, too.

Re: Vegedus' stuff - Kittan, big brother of the Black Siblin

Postby leddkire » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:50 am

More of this. MOAR!

Postby MrHoboX » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:19 pm

Love the coloring on the last two. I was instantly able to recognize who it was too.
_-The Official Trademarks Of MrHoboX-
(AWESOME TO THE MAX!/*Thumbs Up)
Note: Use of these without the express written consent of MrHoboX, will result in Disemboweling, survivors will be burnt, if you survive that then you my friend get pie... Sweet sexy pie.

Postby Vegedus » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:48 am

Geez, you people really like your fanart, huh?

I kinda wanted to draw the King Kittan behind Kittan, but it ended up looking not so great, so here it is alone.

It's also the reason for the boring head-on perspective. At any rate, I dun like it too much. Mechs are irritating to draw for me at any rate. Too many details to reference.

Well, this may be the last of the fanart. I've got at least a couple of projects more, plus the all the requests I've yet to do. Oh, man, those are late.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Coos » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:44 am

I've found mechs always hard to draw, but It looks like you did an awesomeo job on this.

Re: Vegedus' stuff - Now with 12% more fanart and 6% more me

Postby Dainen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:47 am

Salutes to your mecha colouring :) you're getting quite good at shading
As for this one
Vegedus wrote:Image

Your proportion of the body is a little off, doesnt follow the 8-head proportion, although it's foreshortening, proportion still counts ^_^ eg. his left leg may be short because you see it from knee point, but his right leg should be long because it's further and you see it from the side
Vegedus wrote:When I look at the legs, they look incredibly short. They did while I was drawing them too, but the idea is, since they are extending towards the viewer, they should not be drawn longer.

when something is extended towards the viewer, it is also larger ^^ means his left leg, the knee should be about the size of his head or a little smaller. Same goes for his right hand, smaller than then left.

Hope that helps a little >w<

Re: Vegedus' stuff - Now with 12% more fanart and 6% more me

Postby Vegedus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:40 am

We, constructiveness!

Dainen wrote:eg. his left leg may be short because you see it from knee point, but his right leg should be long because it's further and you see it from the side

I figured that there was a slight bit of foreshortening on that leg. It doesn't go directly towards the viewer, but it isn't strecthed out completely to the side, either.

when something is extended towards the viewer, it is also larger ^^ means his left leg, the knee should be about the size of his head or a little smaller. Same goes for his right hand, smaller than then left.

I get that, but how much bigger are things supposed to get? From my research, it appears that how much things get may wary by the picture. Anime sometimes have these action shots where a hand in the foreground is 5 times bigger than someones head, where often it is much more subtle, and at times, I can't actually discern things becoming larger as the move closer to the viewer. As far as I can tell, you shouldn't actually rely on that effect for depth perception, but I could be wrong.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Art