Vegedus' art thread {SPAAACE OOOPRAH 5/7/13}

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby ROCKWELL » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:47 pm

Rockwell wrote:anatomy and porportion.

I thrived on little advice, if I dident give you want stop bitching. practice more on your line art thats what you need, give up the coloring, and draw 2x as many hours as you do know ( I practice 10+hours a week like 15+ w/o school).

and I do not want to elaborate on what you need to improve/fix on becasue a beginers work its, like, nearly everything.
Rockwells arts n comics
"Lord Soth"--It's just so bland without you here. Spam forum without Rockwell is not win.
"krimson-Death"--...Ur probably one of the best artists ive seen on snafu...
"ZoulArt"-- I've read your comics and your a super mega awsome comic artist...Your getting better and better at what you do so keep it up!
"teran4ever"--No one cares if you are a skilled artist, you are a total douche.
"Brax4"--Rockwell, seriously, your comics rock, probably one of my favorite artists on the site...
"EagleMan"--Congratulations rockwell. You have become a legend to these people...
"whispersoul"--Woah, Rockwell. Awesome works. It's been a while since I've seen your arts. and I'm glad that your talents are still the shit.
"Boymonkey130"--Rockwell....Your crap flies forth at mach speed. It destroys all in its path, and... then catches fire, obliterating those who oppose you. I WORSHIP your crap.

Postby Vegedus » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Sigh...

Rockwell wrote:I thrived on little advice, if I dident give you want stop bitching.

Of course you did, you can become the greatest artist ever, without receiving a single hint, but getting some can make you improve faster. The main purpose of this forum is for artist to advice each other so we can get better. If you don't want to do that, you can either be appreciative, chat, or STFU. Because really, three words isn't advice at all. And the last part of the sentence didn't make sense/was hardly readable.

practice more on your line art thats what you need

That would be semi-useful advice, if I didn't know already.

draw 2x as many hours as you do know ( I practice 10+hours a week like 15+ w/o school).

More completely brain-dead obvious advice. I've already read through that thread, remember? The more you draw, the better you get. Those that did not know, raise their hands, please. Also, would you stop using yourself as an example for a moment? It makes you "seem" arrogant.

and I do not want to elaborate on what you need to improve/fix on becasue a beginers work its, like, nearly everything.

Oh, I concur completely, but it would be nice if you could, say, point out things that are the most wrong, where there's the most room for improvement. Some little specific things. Maybe HOW you make proportions better than just pointing out that it's bad. And read my first point again.

If I'm being overly aggressive (I know I am), it's because I really, REALLY don't like you Rockwell, so condensed, all I'm telling you is that you should kindly get out of my thread if you don't have anything meaningful to contribute. I dislike having to ignore people.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby ROCKWELL » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:38 pm

that fine if you dicide you dont need my advice that I gave you, but in the end im not the one at a loss, because through out all your work youve havent improved much at all. it seems like you need to use the advice youve given me more than you think. envy is fine, its comon for people that have less to do that after all I am the more experienced artist, and better than 90% or so of the people here.

now my goal on here is to become a snafu comic, and posting here is inspiration, to say show off. I dont know what your ultimate goal is....

anyways this converstion has gone no where, ill post again when your half as good as me.
Rockwells arts n comics
"Lord Soth"--It's just so bland without you here. Spam forum without Rockwell is not win.
"krimson-Death"--...Ur probably one of the best artists ive seen on snafu...
"ZoulArt"-- I've read your comics and your a super mega awsome comic artist...Your getting better and better at what you do so keep it up!
"teran4ever"--No one cares if you are a skilled artist, you are a total douche.
"Brax4"--Rockwell, seriously, your comics rock, probably one of my favorite artists on the site...
"EagleMan"--Congratulations rockwell. You have become a legend to these people...
"whispersoul"--Woah, Rockwell. Awesome works. It's been a while since I've seen your arts. and I'm glad that your talents are still the shit.
"Boymonkey130"--Rockwell....Your crap flies forth at mach speed. It destroys all in its path, and... then catches fire, obliterating those who oppose you. I WORSHIP your crap.

Postby Vegedus » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:51 am

Ok, now that that's over with and I can stop being juvenile, let's move on. Hope I didn't scare everyone away or something.

I only got stuff you've perhaps already seen today, but whatever.

First up, the same hand that's ind my sig:

I like drawing hands, and it would appear I'm even kinda good at it. I really like how this one came out, at least. I drew my own hand with a blue pencil, and then redrew it with a normal pencil, this time including all the robot stuff. It's Ivenks hand, and I think this about wraps up it's design. I didn't want to give it nails at first, but seeing as nails are kinda practical, and Ivenks is a practical man, I gave him some pretty long, freakish ones. They can be retracted, though. Also of note, is that I've designed it to pretty much emulate a human hand in all other aspect. The fingers have roughly the same shape as human fingers and can bend the same ways. The reasoning is that while there may be advantages in being able to turn your hand 180 degrees and what not, a cyborg enhancement would be easier to control if it worked within the same restrictions as your former limb. I wonder if I'm the only one that considers such somewhat unimportant details. I generally design through logic rather than aesthetics.

Second, the finished C.Y. entry.

Yeah, I know the dialog isn't very funny, but I needed an excuse for them to pose a bit, instead of just standing around. They're all OCs, and at the left is Gerock, in a costume I once wore myself to a halloween party. Including the stick lying across the neck, holding my sleeves and arms up, like a scarecrow. I didn't have the vertical stick though, which is actually what keeps Gerock so high above the ground. No, he isn't just tall, though he certainly is.
In the middle, Ivenks cosplaying as Edward Elric, from Full Metal Alchemist. I must admit I totally stole the concept of a metal sword arm from there. But Ivenks got two! Double the swords, double the awesome!
Right is Cecia, as a mummy, duh. Bashing myself is fun.
I have very much of a love/hate relationship. I like the concept, love the costumes, like the coloring, frowns at the poses, hates the pencils, HATES the inking. Looking at the hand sketch, and at VGcats new (temporary) look, a comic that usually screams "so clean it must have been made in flash!", I'm more tempted than ever to completely drop inking and just use pencil. This one also really got me thinking about my coloring. I initially set a limit to it, saying that I wouldn't try to go beyond cell shading, because I didn't real mean to get any good at coloring, even though I kinda did. Now, it's pretty much an integral part of my work, and I think blending would fit better together with sketchy pencils...

Postby Coos » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:10 pm

OMG Edward Elric. Your entry is total win now.

And I love the hands you make. Love em.

Postby Vegedus » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:21 pm

Edward = Win? I wasn't aware. I must make use of this!

Thank you. I love 'em too.

Re: Vegedus' stuff - Finished CY + Cyborg Hand + Lots of wor

Postby leddkire » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:26 pm

Hey there.

Nice hand you got there. I think the thumb should be farther out, but since it's a robotic hand, it doesn't really matter. The palm looks quite skinny, but now that I see my own hand it's probably because the thumb is so far back. Yeah, my only crit is the thumb :)

As for the halloween pic, I suggest that next time you draw shoulders farther apart. Or you could make their heads smaller, because the head looks very disproportionate compared to the body (Ivenk's).

The scarecrow guy looks great though. Good shading.

draw draw draw!

Postby Vegedus » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:21 pm

Hm, the thumb is supposed to be bending, so I don't think it should be farther out. That just means I fucked up perspective instead of proportion, though. And since I'm emulating human hands here, it being robotic is no excuse. It sounds weird, but it's actually a great exercise in anatomy. You have to know the rules if you want to circumvent them.

And yeah, I agree on the Ivenks. Something just went wrong there. Big head. Or maybe not? Maybe he so hardcore a cosplayer that he somehow shrunk himself to be closer to the size of Edward. Yeah, keep believing that.

Re: Vegedus' stuff - Finished CY + Cyborg Hand + Lots of wor

Postby leddkire » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:15 pm

Hmm I see what you mean with the thumb, but it doesn't look like it's bending to me :unsure: Maybe if you bent it even more? :P

Postby Vegedus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:03 pm

*pulls out notepad* Bend... Thumbs... More... Okay, noted :P

Anyway, super duper awesome update time!! (or something))

It's Gerock!! Yeah, this one didn't really turn out well, but it shows the basic design and it's so rare of me to draw anything of him, despite having figured most of his design out. One thing still in consideration are his augmented legs. While I'm keeping Ivenks rather plain arms, I want this guys legs to be a bit more cool and stuff. The flame patterns might be a bit much, though.

I draw hands more than chibies these days. Actually, hands are kinda the new chibies. I draw them to cool of, or when I don't have anything else to draw. Unlike usual, though, this one is made after a photo. This photo of me half-assed cosplaying as Light Yagami for my first anime convention ever. That outfit, in turn, was inspired by this and this, in case you wonder since when Yagami wore black and had dark brown hair (I personally think the orange/brown/beige hair color the manga uses is ugly).

Last, but not least (on the contrary, the last pic is the one who gets the lasting impression), an experiment in hair style. It's supposed to be Ivenks, but his hairdo hasn't changed as much as I've changed the way of drawing it. Inspired by some Kingdom Hearts manga, and the delightful hair of a certain XIII, I tried a new approach. Never did like my original one to begin with. Anyway, a thing I've noticed with the hair I like (Light's also count here) is that it builds in layers. Like real hair, it has a certain point the hair spreads out from (I dunno what's it's really called, but I like "swirly") and the hair has different patches that grows out from different places and different directions, instead of it looking like a blanket laid over the head, with spike frills. It also makes the area a little bit more busy, with more lines, which I like.
As for my own attempt at this, I like it, but it needs some development. It only has about 2.5 layers, which hurt it a bit. Some feedback on this one would be nice ^^

Oh, and if anyone has any way of making pencil lines look more like lines instead of smudges, I'd like to know aswell.

And BTW, again, before I forget, I'm totally, generally, open to requests. I like doing stuff for others and it's a good way of getting to draw lots of different characters and stuff. Judging by thread attendance, I doubt many would be interested, though :P

Postby Coos » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:55 pm

Honestly, I would give you feedback on the hair if I knew what I would be talking about XD [useless lil' Coos]

I'm still loving the Hands.
and I guess I'll make a request if its okay?

Postby Vegedus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:59 pm

Well "I like it" or "I liked the other better" also counts as feedback, you know. Since art is generally an act of giving (at least as I see it), it's not just important what I like, but what the "audience" does as well.

And yes. When I say Request are open, it means you can make one :P. Especially when you're one of the stable visitors ^^

Re: Vegedus' stuff - It's all pencils. Now with new hair! -

Postby leddkire » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:06 pm

Nice hand. Looks very good, so keep practicing.

About making pencil lines more lines than smudges:

You could try using a lighter/harder pencil like a 2H.

Most of the smudges occur when your hand passes over the lines (it happens to me lots) or when you erase sometimes. So maybe lifting your hand a little while you draw could make less smudges.

Or you could try and make smoother, longer lines.

Dunno, I guess it comes with practice :P like everything.

Some critique on Gerock. The perspective is wrong on his left arm, and his right arm seems very long. It could be because it is actually long or because his right hand is uber small. I suggest making fingers thicker and the hand itself maybe a bit longer.

His left hand is interesting. The index finger is too short and the other fingers too long, including the thumb.

His left foot looks unnatural, without mass.

The pants looks very good. Like the design of the pants and his leg(s). Maybe you should try adding more wrinkles to the pants and shirt.

Hope I helped :)

And I have a request:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/Leddkire/rslegends.png

If you don't mind, those are some of my characters. Would be great if you could do all three of them. Note: I don't play runescape anymore, but those characters where inspired by the game.

Postby Vegedus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:17 pm

Heh, yeah, too many things about Gerock went wrong. I simply didn't bother to fix most of it. And the wrinkles/folds... Well, it's a weakness of mine. I really wanna learn to do it, because I hate empty spaces (like with the hair), but it's one of those things where I don't know where to start. Despite some tutorial reading, I don't really know where to place them or how to make them. The pants ARE supposed to be "sloopy" and foldly, too, so it's something I'll have to learn.

Well, I wouldn't mind a pic that was a little less... "vague", but I suppose you would have given me one if you had it. I'll see what I can do. Coos got priority, though :P

One thing though... What is the guy at the right (not the villain type) holding?

Postby leddkire » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:25 pm

Hehe actually just draw the middle one. You wouldn't ever guess what he is holding. Not a racket.

This is supposed to be the same guy, but I suck at drawing the same person twice :

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n246/Leddkire/sketchiesofleddkire.png

Hope that helps better.

Guess I'll just have to wait until Coos decides to request something.

Postby Vegedus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:30 pm

He did. Over PM. Dunno why . And I can feel I'll get it done fast (not tonight, though), so do not fret. Your's will be right up, too. I got Wednesday and Thursday off, so I'll dedicate each day to your respective requests. Not a bad time table, eh?

Postby Coos » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:45 pm

I wish I had Wednesday and Thursday off.
But no, I get Tuesday only.

Postby leddkire » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:00 pm

Not bad, I almost never have time to draw :(

Postby Vegedus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:34 pm

I'm hesitant to say I've finished Coos' request, but I... Eh... Well... Here:

I started drawing at the wrong place on the paper, so that's why it's sorta squashe
It's sorta an ugly duckling right now. I go for sketchy, not dirty, and this is definitely dirty. I'm not sure I've got the time to work more on it. I feel like I should, but on the other hand, I should probably do my homework and stuff to. Believe me, even though I got today and tomorrow off, I'm under time pressure.

So... I might go back and "fix" it. And I might not. Depends on whether or not I get the time.

Postby Coos » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:08 pm

.....lulz.
Why would you manhandle Joe so?

And you dont need to fix it if you dont want to. I like it now, but hey, if you want to, go for it.
And thank ye.
Last edited by Coos on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Shoi » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:09 pm

Heeey, person! D:< You've got some crazy hand skills there! And I like the coloring on your halloween one, nice, pretty shading. :3
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Do you know where i live? Fucking Barbados.
Whatis6times9:
It was about as easy as... Goddammit, it is to easy. And to me a whore is just a slut with a good sense of enterprise.

Postby Vegedus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:11 pm

TheCoosinator wrote:Why would you manhandle Joe so?

Come on, who wouldn't?

Or maybe it IS me that is the slut...

Shoi wrote:You've got some crazy hand skills there!

Cooooooorrnyyy!! :D

Postby Shoi » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:17 pm

OBJECTION! I object to you're theory of my corny word play!
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Do you know where i live? Fucking Barbados.
Whatis6times9:
It was about as easy as... Goddammit, it is to easy. And to me a whore is just a slut with a good sense of enterprise.

Postby Vegedus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:30 pm

Uhhhhhhhhhhh... ((Haven't played Phoenix Wright))

Boot to the head!

Postby Coos » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:40 pm

Vegedus wrote:
TheCoosinator wrote:Why would you manhandle Joe so?

Come on, who wouldn't?

Or maybe it IS me that is the slut...

Oh don't worry, I do some manhandlin' as well.
I mean I do draw him all the time.

PreviousNext

Return to Art