The Gunslinger's Gallery!

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Gunslinger's Gallery!

Postby New Era Outlaw » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:47 pm

Dear GOD....how long have I been slacking off?

Well, no time like the present to show you guys that I still do ze artings.....

This is my take on a character from Egyptian Mythology, Ammit.
According to Egyptian lore, Ammit awaits those who have recently departed. The weight of their sins would be weighed against the feather of Ma'at. Should their sins be lighter than the feather, they may pass on to the peaceful afterlife, but should their sins be heavy, they are then devoured by Ammit, experiencing the torment of a second death, and never to know the comfort of the afterlife.
Image <==Poke Roll and see what happens.

Postby DarkCrystal65 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:02 pm

hehe looks good. I always thought Ammit was a dog...

Anyways Egyptian mythology is pretty interesting. Hell I love mythology especially Greek and Norse.
The Darkness in our Hearts....
Improving myself in every picture but I need critics so please comment.

My Art Thread

Postby Torgue » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:56 am

Ammit has a lion's body and a crocodile's head.
Great drawing as usual, NEO.

Postby New Era Outlaw » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:09 am

Thanks. :D
Moving on......

This was done during my lunch break at work.
This sketch shows Inferno how he appears from the front, seeing as how the last few drawings of him only showed him from the side or concealed him, to a point.

The idea behind his costume is to show something that reflects his own abilities, as well as his personality (which happens to be that of a pyromaniac). As such, the upper half of the costume was designed to 'let it loose', showing off the flames that comprise his body. The shoulder guards were designed with vents that blast jets of fire when Inferno is riled up.
His boots come with a special trim that changes colour as his own body temperature changes.

Ironically, this costume was originally designed for another character, namely, Commander Blaze. This concept was quickly scrapped as it proved largely unpopular with test audiences (see for yourself right here), and personally, I royally hated it as well, as it failed to truly represent the character and give him some sort of appeal. After some tinkering, I totally revamped Commander Blaze to give him a more authoritative, heroic edge, while I gave his old costume (with several modifications) to his enemy, Inferno. I think the simple look does Inferno justice, don't you?

Postby MrHoboX » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:19 am

Whoa... Hella Sweet. Your amuor designs are especially appealing.
_-The Official Trademarks Of MrHoboX-
(AWESOME TO THE MAX!/*Thumbs Up)
Note: Use of these without the express written consent of MrHoboX, will result in Disemboweling, survivors will be burnt, if you survive that then you my friend get pie... Sweet sexy pie.

Postby New Era Outlaw » Wed May 16, 2007 11:39 am

Thank you, thank yaw.

Yoinks. Looks like I've been away for quite some time.
Sorry about the hiatus on ze artings, folks.....the last two weeks were nothing short of pure hell for me, what with a project to hand up and all.

But, enough about that.
Now that that's over with, I can finally get around to doing some sketches again. So, without further ado:

Another picture of Roll, dancing with Meep as if she doesn't have a care in the world. In a way, I almost envy her for that. Believe it or not, the flowers were the trickiest part of the picture. I had to draw it in such a way that it doesn't look fake or two-dimensional when she's tossing them aside. Also, this time around, I wanted to get away from having Roll just stand around this time, so I'm having her more active in the picture.

A while back, Hammy did a gender bender thread, where he turned many of the forumites into the opposite sex. Curious, I asked him to draw a female version of the New Era Outlaw. I thought he did a bang up job, myself, so much so, that I've given the character an identity of her own. I made a few changes to her design over time, though, putting her own spin on the New Era Outlaw's trademark duster/cowboy hat combo.Also, her hair is now much longer than it was before, and the glasses are slightly more slanted. The design of the guns might have to change, though.

And, finally, to cap it off...

This is a redesign for a fan character that one of my friends in the AGU community came up with. I wanted to test myself and try to put a whole lot more detail into the picture, but, at the same time, neaten up the design of the armor and make it look a little more conventional for use. The old design was good, and this doesn't stray from that too much.

Be on the lookout for more....

Postby ROCKWELL » Wed May 16, 2007 12:25 pm

are you going to do a comic in the future?
Rockwells arts n comics
"Lord Soth"--It's just so bland without you here. Spam forum without Rockwell is not win.
"krimson-Death"--...Ur probably one of the best artists ive seen on snafu...
"ZoulArt"-- I've read your comics and your a super mega awsome comic artist...Your getting better and better at what you do so keep it up!
"teran4ever"--No one cares if you are a skilled artist, you are a total douche.
"Brax4"--Rockwell, seriously, your comics rock, probably one of my favorite artists on the site...
"EagleMan"--Congratulations rockwell. You have become a legend to these people...
"whispersoul"--Woah, Rockwell. Awesome works. It's been a while since I've seen your arts. and I'm glad that your talents are still the shit.
"Boymonkey130"--Rockwell....Your crap flies forth at mach speed. It destroys all in its path, and... then catches fire, obliterating those who oppose you. I WORSHIP your crap.

Postby Cascade » Wed May 16, 2007 3:56 pm

Wow. I'm impressed. I used to think your artwork was only notable for its cheesy mid-90s Mortal Kombat-esque character designs, but I can safely say that you've improved immensely since the last time I saw your work. Good job NEO.
FUKKATSU

Postby aiyaitsai » Wed May 16, 2007 5:14 pm

I like the fact that you're coloring these as well as practicing action poses.

There are a few mistakes in the anatomy but of course the solution is still practice ._.; oh and that whole "study realistic drawing" thing.

Keep it up ;]

Postby New Era Outlaw » Tue May 29, 2007 7:07 am

Thanks.

Speaking of which, I've got some sketches to put up.
Would've put them up sooner, but my Internet decided to shrivel up and DIE on me. Isn't that the bee's knees?

This update involves some redesigns for some of the characters planned for the comic, as I was either unhappy with how they were depicted originally, or felt that they could use an upgrade. Anyhoo....

Remember her?
Magenta's been a character that has spent an eternity in creative limbo, because, to be quite honest, I didn't really know what the F**K to do with her. She started off slated to fill the gap of the 'silent threat' type of villian, but later on, I decided against it, because she looks a tad too innocent to be one. On top of that, Zanmato (the samurai I drew a while back, go back to the previous page to see him) appealed to me as much more of a scheming overlord, so Magenta got ported over to the side of the angels. She is now going to be the Oracle of the Heavens that seeks out those destined to be the Heroes of the Last Apocalypse, and, as such, she needed a costume upgrade to reflect her position. She now has valkyrie like designs all over her costume. Unfortunately, it seems that Crystal would have to teach her how to smile. (I swear to God, this one time, I even rented some 'Mind of Mencia' DVDs for her to watch, and she didn't do as much as chuckle! =( )

What changed about him?
His name. He's now Night Hawk.
Why is he no longer 'Raven'? Because every Tom, Dick and Harry are being called Raven in a bid to be the 'dark and mysterious' character. The name's even pointed out in the 'Mary Sue Litmus Test' as a Mary-Sueish moniker, alongside 'Hunter'. A shame too, because I rather liked that name.

So, I went with Night Hawk instead. I wanted to keep a nocturnal aspect to his character, as the Acolyte whose specialty are nocturnal missions (Yeah, I know what they sound like, but I don't DARE tell him that. The last thing I need is to be royally stabbed by those damn throwing knives right now.) Hawk sounded like the most logical choice of bird to reflect a noble, yet fierce bird of prey (Eagle sounded a bit...dumb.) 'Black Hawk' was also an alternative, and I still might consider it. The racial connoctations of the name is keeping me away, though.

Surprised that Geargirl would show up here?
Well....the only thing that has changed is her hair.
I made it a bit longer to more accurately reflect the look of the person she's based on. Other than that, she's the same old Geargirl we all know and love. Dawwww.

Yes, I know, I know.
But you're just going to have to deal with it.
What can I say? Kimi's always been one of my favorite subjects to draw, and probably my main defense against artist's block when I can't think of anything to draw.

Here, I've experimented with details such as hair and clothing blowing in the wind, and how they move against the human body when they do so. Also, worked on some minor cross-hatching work here to give the picture some sense of completeness.

....and now, perhaps I'll get off of my lazy ass and colour some. Maybe.

Postby New Era Outlaw » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:53 pm

Some new art in colour now, yes? w00t

Hm. I must be on one of those 'roll' things again.

Anyhoo, about the drawing.
I had the day off today, so, long story short, I'm at home twiddling my thumbs doing -nawthing-. So, I figure..."Why not DRAW something, genius?" After some pondering (and listening to the Marvel vs. Capcom soundtrack), I figured that I would draw Danny Phantom.

.....but, as I picked up the piece of paper to do so, I thought, "Nah......let's tackle something -new- for a change." I then remembered that "Nicktoons Unite!" picture that I did a good while back, and figured that I should give Jenny a shot, seeing as how I've done Danny Phantom twice before and.....well, I don't need to tell you how much pictures I've done of Kimi. So, here goes.

Just like I had given new looks to Kimi and Danny Phantom, I had decided to put my own spin on Jenny's character, giving her a more 'advanced' design. The goal here was to draw something that was an evolution of Jenny's design, but kept things relatively simple at the same time.

Well, this was the result, but I found that, in the end, Jenny looked -way- too advanced to be her original 'XJ-nai-yun" self. And that's when something clicked.

Remember that episode where Dr. Wakeman joked about an XJ-10? Well, I figured that if she ever did get cracking on that, XJ-10's final design would just be -miles- ahead of XJ-9's. Of course, seeing as how XJ-9 was the first successful robot, who's to say that it's not just an upgrade on XJ-9's specifications?

I added some glowing lights to give the impression that XJ-10 is powering up. Her hair's basically derived from the fanon interpretations of her. Also, forgive me for being a Mega Man fan, but I just couldn't finish this off without giving her an arm cannon. There's just too much Mega Man and Jenny has in common to get away with not including one.

Also, this happens to be a wallpaper. Please download it here if you want to see all of the details.

Also....

....you know, I figured I'd just tack this on here.
With this picture, I experimented with a lot of things. In particular, I worked to make the hair as flowing and as detailed as I possibly could. Believe it or not, the most troublesome part of this picture was the damn dress. I spent hours trying to come up with the perfect colour....the end result being the very -first- one I thought of, pink. Damn it, I feel like such a jackass for that.

Postby Faust777 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:20 pm

Nice new pic N.E.R.!!!
I like the one of jenny the open skirt idea es brilliant!!!
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, sit back, relax, and let the world wonder how the fuck you did it.
My art thread~
Nabichan: Seriously, you are the epitome of all that is awesome in the world
Dinosaurpirate: Well yeah, could anyone so weird be anything BUT an artist?
Vegedus: Theres only rape is theres a tentacle monster
Mcdurg:@Faust: Win.
Fenrisulfrhell, even if i broke one of my arms, i still have the other one, two legs, an elbow, a head, two knees, my hips, and my feet to beat their ass
Prinny Captain

Postby New Era Outlaw » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:57 pm

*brushes off cobwebs*

Whoo. Why, hallo there. o_o

If you're wondering where I've been, let's just say that work has been hell in a handbasket as of late. Try putting a billion kids with A.D.D. that has been fed a steady diet of sugar, Fruit Loops and nitrous oxide into a small building and then stick me in there to try to teach them a million things at once, and you've got a recipe for sheer chaos. Thank GOD it ends on Tuesday.

Also, I've been occupied with work on a local board game.
Yup, you heard right....NEO's been working onna board game.
And, after three weeks of hogging the front desk's computer and enduring a lot of nagging customers, employees who want to check their e-mail and lots and lots of caffeine in my bloodstream, the board is finally finished:

This board game was done as part of the "One Book, One Community" programme at the library where I work, and I was called upon to be the lead designer for this project, based upon the novel by V.S. Naipaul. The game board you see before you was done completely by me.

Here is some information as to what went on during the making of this game:

- The game board was going to be fairly big, so I drew a rough draft of what it would look like. After showing it to my boss, she told me to change around a few things here and there (such as the location of George's Pink House, which should be more centrally located), and add more characters from the book.

- The game was digitally coloured over a period of 3 weeks, which one page taking about a week or so. The very last page was what gave me some serious horrors, because 1) it didn't scan properly, and 2) I forgot to do the Brightness/Contrast thing before I jumped on colouring it. I'm such a DITZ.

- Towards the later stages of this board's development, I added some more 'hazards', such as missing turns or being sent backwards through the game.

The game is played like a cross between Pictionary/Charades/Snakes and Ladders. Players must guide themselves through Miguel Street, where they will encounter many of the strange (and fascinating) people who live there, such as:

- Man-Man, the madman who later becomes a "prophet";
- Mr. Popo, the carpenter forever working on the 'thing without a name';
- George, the sharp-tongued drunkard;
- Titus Hoyt, the professor;
- Hat, a man of the world who has a comment for every occassion, accompanied by his nephews, Errol and Boyee;
- Bigfoot, the big boxer;
- Laura, the mother of 8.

Along the way, you may run across hazards, such as "Wha De Scene?", which is a charade-like game where your teammate has to guess what you're trying to say, and "Bacchanal!", where you draw and try to get your teammates to guess the correct answer. Be warned....you may need to read the book to get some of them!

*cough* Ugh. What a cheesy thing to say.
So, long story short, that's what I've been working on for the last few weeks.

Also.....

A while back, (three years ago, to be precise) I did a fanart piece for "8 Bit Theater" by Brian Clevinger, of White Mage, one of my favorite characters from the strip. At the time, I was pretty proud of it, not just because I had branched out into something new, but because it was remarkably easy to pull off (just how much of a challenge is it to render white?)

Just recently, I came across that same picture, and I figured that, three years later, I could definitely improve on what I had done so long ago. And this is the end result.

Well, until next time, amigos....

Postby MrHoboX » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:28 am

The lighting in the white mage pic (and sky too) is fantastic!

The board game looks hells sweet too
Note: Use of these without the express written consent of MrHoboX, will result in Disemboweling, survivors will be burnt, if you survive that then you my friend get pie... Sweet sexy pie.

Postby New Era Outlaw » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:09 pm

Hey, what can I say? When you're me, and you have a day off, you've just gotta draw something.
And I meant to draw Asuka Kazama for the looooongest while, let me tell you.

This picture was not only a tribute to one of my favorite video game vixens, but also an experiment in textures. From her cotton shirt right down to her leathery suit. Of course, this meant a whole lot more time, but, for me, it was more or less something I undertook to really go to the next level with regards to the detailing that I put into my work.

I hope you guys like it.
See you around, hombres.....I'm feeling peckish and there's some leftover pizza lying about that's about to be read its last rites.

Postby Aeris » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:16 pm

*Cough* *Cough* How come no one gives comments about those impressive images?

Meh, love the drawing, especially the white suit's shading and the metal-like protection (which really look like metal)^^
Art Thread (not to be updated for a while)

Postby MrHoboX » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:11 pm

I love the pose. It screams "Im gonna plant my foot in your ass!"

Postby nabichan » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:25 pm

You do such amazing work!!! I love your style...especially the detail you put into the clothing folds and whatnot.

Postby New Era Outlaw » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:01 am

Wow. It has been a whole two months since I've gotten off of my lethargic ass and actually drew something.
I think that's due for a change, don't you?

Yeah.
Basically, after a two month hiatus from doing anything remotely artistic (I blame work and the hundreds of hyperactive children that feed off of my energy like vampiric midgets), I decided to poke around and experiment a bit. I decided to take Mai, from Avatar for a spin.
She was pretty simple to draw and colour, and I dig the folds.
Still.....for some reason, not too overly proud of this one.

Call me picky, but I tend to hate drawings of mine where the character just stands there. Then again, Mai has always been the stoic, "Meh...whatever." type, hasn't she? :lol:

When next you see me, I should have something a lot more awesome to hand up for the class. Promise....*dodges spitball*

You know, no matter how long it has been since I first drew her, I just can't seem to forget about Roll X, a fan character that I had created 5-odd years ago. In a homage to the ghost of my artistic past, I took a stab at drawing Roll X in the costume I had designed for her back then. Chimpo advised me that such a getup, despite looking good, isn't at all practical in battle. Looking back, I'm pretty much inclined to agree.....cotton isn't going to block much....except for the occassional moth.

Well, that's all I've got....for now, anyway. Hope you like it, all the same.

Postby Flux » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:58 am

Dude, you are six times better than you were the last time I saw you. Everything you make is extra clean and sharp. Excellent inkwork, props for using real ink, of course. And nice variance of poses and detail to your character's outfits.

The body/face detail ratio is a little off. Making tiny little hatch marks to define parts of the face, like the cheekbones, or the bridge of the nose or whatever, can make the faces seem less like "detail black-holes" which unbalances the picture. Maybe it's because all your ink drawings have slight shading defined everywhere else on them, but nothing ever on the face. Faces need shading too. :(

But let me not emphasize that you are becoming QUITE an excellent artist. Love your use of line weight and how volumetric all of your characters are all of a sudden. It's just awesome.

Postby ROCKWELL » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:56 pm

what kind of inking tools u use?
Rockwells arts n comics
"Lord Soth"--It's just so bland without you here. Spam forum without Rockwell is not win.
"krimson-Death"--...Ur probably one of the best artists ive seen on snafu...
"ZoulArt"-- I've read your comics and your a super mega awsome comic artist...Your getting better and better at what you do so keep it up!
"teran4ever"--No one cares if you are a skilled artist, you are a total douche.
"Brax4"--Rockwell, seriously, your comics rock, probably one of my favorite artists on the site...
"EagleMan"--Congratulations rockwell. You have become a legend to these people...
"whispersoul"--Woah, Rockwell. Awesome works. It's been a while since I've seen your arts. and I'm glad that your talents are still the shit.
"Boymonkey130"--Rockwell....Your crap flies forth at mach speed. It destroys all in its path, and... then catches fire, obliterating those who oppose you. I WORSHIP your crap.

Postby Acktoo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:59 am

Dammit, Neo. Stop being awesome where I can see it.
Too good for you.

Postby New Era Outlaw » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:19 am

Nope. You'll just have to contend with the awesome.
Sorry, Acktoosh. :snoogins:

Rockwell wrote:what kind of inking tools u use?

A group of Sakura Micron inking pens, sizes 01, 03 and 05, respectively.
To answer your earlier question, though, yep, I am planning a comic in the future. Thanks for asking!

Anyway, Just thought I'd pop by with some more of them thar pik-chars.

Ah, yes. It's finally done.

As some of you may have already known, I'm currently working on a new Halloween-themed picture right now. Since September, as a matter of fact.

However, I've run into a creative block with that one, and I've decided to bide my time. In biding my time, I ran across one of the sketches that I did a few months ago. I got some good feedback on that one, so I decided to give it the treatment that it deserves and colour it. Go me. :P

So, here we have Roll and her Metool sidekick, the Incredible Meep, frolicking in a grassy meadow after picking some flowers, without a care in the world. Well, aside from the fact that her brother's out there risking his neck to save the world, that is. Right now, I'm hoping that bouquet of flowers she just tossed isn't the exploding kind-

O_o

HIT THE DECK!

*boom*

Anyway, I hope you guys like it.

A concept drawing of Roll X with a more conventional armor set.

This is a concept sketch of Mai, from Avatar: The Last Airbender, done shortly after all of the positive responses that I got for my first crack at her. This one's not even past the erasing stage, though, and the lineart hasn't yet been refined.
Still, I liked how this turned out.

Also....

Postby MrHoboX » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:57 am

Really digging the armor concepts on these.... So very very pointy.

Postby Black » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:38 pm

Cool stuff... Lots of details... Completely AMAZING!
Last edited by Black on Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click to visit my art thread.

PreviousNext

Return to Art