Vegedus' art thread {SPAAACE OOOPRAH 5/7/13}

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Vegedus' art thread {SPAAACE OOOPRAH 5/7/13}

Postby Vegedus » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:44 am

Weeee! So I finally (?) placed in the C.Y., so now I can make an art thread! I had made it my goal I wouldn’t create my own thread before I had placed, so there you go. Why would I make such a goal you ask (you did. I have mind control, you can’t resist)? Well, reason 1 is I’m a humble guy. If I actually accomplish something noteworthy, I sometimes get these boasting fits where I become extremely annoying, but aside from that, I tend to think I’m the worst artist and everybody hates my work and my guts, which is the almost the same reason why this thread name is as it is. So, I didn’t want to show my pitiful, lousy work amidst the artsy people of the forum. I’d rather watch the giants from afar, than walk under them. But, if I could place in the C.Y., it would be proof that my drawings aren’t useless, that someone can appreciate it. After a good deal of lurking, I realized I was probably the only to have such a goal, as everyone and their mom posts their work, and the people of the forum seem to be very forgiving and positive. So, I used it as motivation. As I became better, building up a modicum of pride for my own work, the urge to create a thread also rose, which meant I kinda had to win that damn C.Y., which in turn was the only reason I was able to make 3 entries. I mean, the last one took me about 9 hours, over less than 2 days, and I’m a pretty lazy person. When Shoi dropped her awesome cake, I felt my previous entries couldn’t hold a candle to it, so I just had to make another, and better, entry to even have a chance of placing. So yeah, what I’m trying to say is, thanks Shoi, for motivation and inspiration/idea theft as well. If you’re reading this, I now declare you my eternal rival! We’ll be totally like Kakashi and Gai (where I’ll be Gai, because we all know Kakashi is like the greatest ninja, evar, and gai is just… gay)!

Tired of reading yet? Well, it’ll only get worse from here on, so skip a bit ahead until the pictures if you are. I’m prone to ranting and I’m probably better at writing than drawing too. I’ve contemplated writing out my stories instead of drawing many times, but it’s just never been able to fully grip me. Drawing’s just so much more fun, ya know?

Anyways, on to my lifestory (well, not all of it).
Like everyone else, ever, I drew when I was a kid. Not good though. In fact, I was horrible. I didn’t draw stickmen, I drew retarded stickmen! Then, at age 8 or something, I stopped drawing. 8 years went by, primarily spent in a gamers haze, that slowly lifted as I spent an increasing amount of time on the internet. Then I stumbled upon the PPGD. And it was awesome. And that was the first forum I joined, this one. Now introduced to the weird phenomenon “webcomics”, I searched further and found many. One of these was Megatokyo. What fascinated me about it was not so much the comic itself, but it’s upbringing. Piro/Fred was a simple wapanese who had never gone to any kind of art school and was now living off of his art.
Now, I’ve always wanted to tell stories. As far back as I can remember I’ve been making up stories in my head, but I made little effort to get them out of there. And it hit me. This webcomic thing was a perfect medium. After all, most webcomics are made by people with the same urge to tell stories. And looking at Megatokyo, I realized it wasn’t too late for me. Not that I intend to live off of art, I’m much to realistic and earthbound for that. Well, maybe. At any rate, at age 16 I began drawing again. Obviously, I sucked. Well, I wasn’t doing stickmen anymore, it had evolved into a very ugly imitation of the DBZ style. In a way, Ivanssj4’s drawings remind me a lot of that period (how can I rephrase that to make it not sound like an insult?). Trouble was, I didn’t draw a lot either. I mostly just sketched on my small A5 (half the standard size) block on the way to and home from school, so I didn’t evolve much. Let me tell you, busses aren’t great for making more than concept sketches. In the winter 2006, I made this:

That was probably the best I had done in that period, so I saved it, because I Like To See How I’ve Progressed Over Time (most artists do). I didn’t draw anything noteworthy for the next year after that, though I did slowly worked myself away from the DBZ style. In the winter 2007, I got a scanner. To celebrate, I signed up to what boils down to the Danish equivalent to deviantart (something I’m kinda still too intimidated of to join) and drew and uploaded this:

A character from a story I had worked on since I began drawing, entitled Secon. She’s supposed to be female by the way. At that point I had a half a million sketches of the main character, Ivenks, this guy:

I began to get tired of Secon, and explored other concepts, notably:
Named, ”Guy With Creepy Dark Wings With Eyes Growing Out Of Him”, a concept I intend to revisit, and:

Which, was inspired by the former and entitled “Midas”. I actually managed to type out his story, but it’s in Danish, so…

The scanner, however, seemed to change a lot of things. I began to draw more often and search out art tutorials and got better very rapidly.
Having had photoshop already for a long time, I naturally began trying to color my stuff. May, this year, I made this:

Note that I’m not particularly proud of this old stuff. From the start, I felt disgusted with about everything I made and how sucky it was, but around this time I began actually liking the pieces I made… For some weeks, at which time I had evolved and the other piece was old and ugly.

Around the time I rejoined the time I rejoined this forum, having been absent for more than a year and a half, I killed of Secon. I was tired of drawing the same stuff over and over, and some fundamental parts of the concept bugged me. In it’s place rose project “Still City”. One thing that survived was Ivenks. His hair turned blue, he got a gruff demeanor, robotic arms with blades in them and some new duds, but it was still Ivenks. To make fun of my own obsession with this character, I drew him as my first chibi:

I used my, at the time, newly bought tablet to assist the coloring of this pic.
The villain of “Still City” is this guy:

Link(because I like my drawing big, and it stretches the thread)

I don't feel restricted by this project, unlike Secon. I'm currently in the process of fleshing out the timeline of Still City, and the many different stories that lies on it, and I'm not afraid to take on other projects, either, like coloring other forumers pics and the like.

Through the summer holiday, I began drawing even more, and I began to enjoy it more too. Arriving at the other side of the holiday, I found that my coloring sessions were far longer than my gaming sessions. I sketch a lot these days, especially during boring classes, but the most notable pieces all lies in the last C.Y. The good thing about being a n00b at drawing is that every successfully completed pic is the best you’ve made ever. And so, the culmination of all my effort so far, is what placed me in the C.Y., the Eight of Spades:

Named so, because he was supposed to be the card to beat Shoi’s entry, the Seven of Spades. Next project is to make a pixel ID, because I’m a trendwhore.

*huff, puff* … So, any questions?
Last edited by Vegedus on Mon May 06, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 53 times in total.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Silver Samurai » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:01 pm

Lol. None at all, Vege. XD Great works anyways, I love the chibi picture anyways. And Congrats for winning third place in the Challenge Yourself competition. XD
"Let's ignite this war! This war of love!"

Re: Vegedus' stuff of artsiness - Big ass intro inside -

Postby Deelenzero » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:44 pm

Vegedus wrote:Weeee! So I finally (?) placed in the C.Y., so now I can make an art thread! I had made it my goal I wouldn’t create my own thread before I had placed, so there you go. Why would I make such a goal you ask (you did. I have mind control, you can’t resist)? Well, reason 1 is I’m a humble guy. If I actually accomplish something noteworthy, I sometimes get these boasting fits where I become extremely annoying, but aside from that, I tend to think I’m the worst artist and everybody hates my work and my guts, which is the almost the same reason why this thread name is as it is. So, I didn’t want to show my pitiful, lousy work amidst the artsy people of the forum. I’d rather watch the giants from afar, than walk under them. But, if I could place in the C.Y., it would be proof that my drawings aren’t useless, that someone can appreciate it. After a good deal of lurking, I realized I was probably the only to have such a goal, as everyone and their mom posts their work, and the people of the forum seem to be very forgiving and positive. So, I used it as motivation. As I became better, building up a modicum of pride for my own work, the urge to create a thread also rose, which meant I kinda had to win that damn C.Y., which in turn was the only reason I was able to make 3 entries. I mean, the last one took me about 9 hours, over less than 2 days, and I’m a pretty lazy person. When Shoi dropped her awesome cake, I felt my previous entries couldn’t hold a candle to it, so I just had to make another, and better, entry to even have a chance of placing. So yeah, what I’m trying to say is, thanks Shoi, for motivation and inspiration/idea theft as well. If you’re reading this, I now declare you my eternal rival! We’ll be totally like Kakashi and Gai (where I’ll be Gai, because we all know Kakashi is like the greatest ninja, evar, and gai is just… gay)!

Tired of reading yet? Well, it’ll only get worse from here on, so skip a bit ahead until the pictures if you are. I’m prone to ranting and I’m probably better at writing than drawing too. I’ve contemplated writing out my stories instead of drawing many times, but it’s just never been able to fully grip me. Drawing’s just so much more fun, ya know?

Anyways, on to my lifestory (well, not all of it).
Like everyone else, ever, I drew when I was a kid. Not good though. In fact, I was horrible. I didn’t draw stickmen, I drew retarded stickmen! Then, at age 8 or something, I stopped drawing. 8 years went by, primarily spent in a gamers haze, that slowly lifted as I spent an increasing amount of time on the internet. Then I stumbled upon the PPGD. And it was awesome. And that was the first forum I joined, this one. Now introduced to the weird phenomenon “webcomics”, I searched further and found many. One of these was Megatokyo. What fascinated me about it was not so much the comic itself, but it’s upbringing. Piro/Fred was a simple wapanese who had never gone to any kind of art school and was now living off of his art.
Now, I’ve always wanted to tell stories. As far back as I can remember I’ve been making up stories in my head, but I made little effort to get them out of there. And it hit me. This webcomic thing was a perfect medium. After all, most webcomics are made by people with the same urge to tell stories. And looking at Megatokyo, I realized it wasn’t too late for me. Not that I intend to live off of art, I’m much to realistic and earthbound for that. Well, maybe. At any rate, at age 16 I began drawing again. Obviously, I sucked. Well, I wasn’t doing stickmen anymore, it had evolved into a very ugly imitation of the DBZ style. In a way, Ivanssj4’s drawings remind me a lot of that period (how can I rephrase that to make it not sound like an insult?). Trouble was, I didn’t draw a lot either. I mostly just sketched on my small A5 (half the standard size) block on the way to and home from school, so I didn’t evolve much. Let me tell you, busses aren’t great for making more than concept sketches.

That was probably the best I had done in that period, so I saved it, because I Like To See How I’ve Progressed Over Time (most artists do). I didn’t draw anything noteworthy for the next year after that, though I did slowly worked myself away from the DBZ style. In the winter 2007, I got a scanner. To celebrate, I signed up to what boils down to the Danish equivalent to deviantart (something I’m kinda still too intimidated of to join) and drew and...

Congrats on placeing and thats Quite the rant Veg, lol

dig the 1st and 2nd pics, the big black-blade thinggy, and the chibi dude ^_^ somethings funky with the 3rd one and last ones necks/head tho... might just be me (but becides that, its all pretty cool)

People in here are a bit too forgiving... but hey, thats kinda why i post my shit ^^ theyre gentle =P...
"I Believe There's Meaning!, No I Believe There's Nothing!!"
"The body exists only to verify one's own existence"

Postby Vegedus » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:57 pm

Thanks for the comments, you two :D

Yeah, people here are pretty forgiving, especially compared to me. The reason why I lurk more than I post is because I'm just brutally honest, and compares everything to professional work. If I wasn't holding it in, I'd be giving "Rockwell" comments left and right ><

And stop commenting about liking the chibis! I'm a serious dude, I make serious, dark stories! I don't want to be good at drawing cute stuff!

Postby Relick » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:09 pm

Hey, don't reject the talent of cute! Embrace it!

Very nice stuff, Veg! I especially like your coloring work. I'm jealous! :o

Postby Vegedus » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:26 pm

*imagines a Chibi Darth Wader, gesturing towards himself*

Join the cute side Vegedus, Desu... It is delicious cake...you must eat it, desu!

I might do a coloring tutorial if ya like? I generally think most tutorials aren't long enough, skipping all the important details, something I could provide.

Re: Vegedus' stuff of artsiness - Big ass intro inside -

Postby Shoi » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:26 pm

Vegedus wrote: When Shoi dropped her awesome cake, I felt my previous entries couldn’t hold a candle to it, so I just had to make another, and better, entry to even have a chance of placing. So yeah, what I’m trying to say is, thanks Shoi, for motivation and inspiration/idea theft as well. If you’re reading this, I now declare you my eternal rival! We’ll be totally like Kakashi and Gai (where I’ll be Gai, because we all know Kakashi is like the greatest ninja, evar, and gai is just… gay)!

Ah, and I'm so happy that you decided to try even harder at it to outdo me :3. Wow, your really the first person to want to rival with me :3 Which makes me burn to get better (That's not a bad thing either, ;3). And Gai is pimp!
Let me be the first to wish you luck, my newest rival!
Vegedus wrote:Named so, because he was supposed to be the card to beat Shoi’s entry, the Seven of Spades. Next project is to make a pixel ID, because I’m a trendwhore.

Ah, I had a feeling that's why it was one number higher than mine, lol.
Anyways, Pixel IDs are super fun! I might end up doing another one later on. Also, another question, Do you plan on making any webcomics anytime soon? :3 ;)
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Do you know where i live? Fucking Barbados.
Whatis6times9:
It was about as easy as... Goddammit, it is to easy. And to me a whore is just a slut with a good sense of enterprise.

Postby Vegedus » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:31 pm

I dunno. The intention from the start was to make a webcomic. Everything I draw, is in a way simply training for that purpose. I think I'm nearing the point where I might be able to do it, but I'm not sure. There's still a lot of things I really suck at, like backgrounds, fighting scenes and such. Once I get some time, end all my current projects, I'm gonna try scribbling some pages and see how it goes.

Yoooooosh! I will show you the power of the wellspring of youth! Ikuso!

Postby Shoi » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:36 pm

Ah, if you need tutorials on any of that, www.mangarevolution.com is THE best place to look for them. Also, picture references (as long as you don't copy them completely like the picture) are great to have.

If you ever need any help though, I'm here for you, as well as the other board members (llleung is who I go to most the time for help with my comics).

Woooo! Prepare to draw your butt off then! ;)
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Whatis6times9:
It was about as easy as... Goddammit, it is to easy. And to me a whore is just a slut with a good sense of enterprise.

Postby MrHoboX » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:59 pm

Hey nice to see more posters!! And dont fret if you want hardcore crits ask and you'll get them. So far it seems like your getting the basic down. So carry on and draw draw draw!
_-The Official Trademarks Of MrHoboX-
(AWESOME TO THE MAX!/*Thumbs Up)
Note: Use of these without the express written consent of MrHoboX, will result in Disemboweling, survivors will be burnt, if you survive that then you my friend get pie... Sweet sexy pie.

Postby Vegedus » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:13 pm

Thanks Mr. Hobo ^^. Criticism is always good, as long as it's useful (that is, not just a notification of a problem (I probably noticed it myself) but a solution too). Oh, and tips. I like tips.

At any rate, Pixel ID, DONE!!11one

It turned out pretty good, I think, but not great. First time I've created a sprite from scratch, and the portrait suffers from my bad habit of making noses too long, but well, for what it is, it works. It is a loose self potrait, without reference, but you do get the basic idea of how I look. Except I don't normally frown that much :P. My blue eyes and brown hair seems to kinder hinder me from looking evil ><
[strike]
I link it from deviant art, my first submission, and guess what, I messed up ><.
No matter what I do, it keeps showing the preview image. You have to click download to show the full picture. Help?[/strike]

Edit: Fixed it. Apparently, deviantart hates big GIFs. Maybe because they can be animated...

Re: Vegedus' stuff of artsiness - Pixel ID, w00t! -

Postby Flux » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:21 pm

Pixel ID, eh? What's that about? I see them all over Deviantfart.

Your processed and colored images really shine, man. I like them a lot!

If I may suggest, you should give a shot to drawing your characters standing on a visible ground of some kind. They all look to have a pose that indicates they are about to float away. But that just might be the posture you're giving them. GJ homeboy

Postby leddkire » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:16 pm

Oh man! I can't see any of your drawings except the ID :(

Postby Shoi » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:18 pm

Your Pixel id is super nice :D. I agree with Flux on drawing them on some sort of ground though.
And Leddkire, use the properties button to see them.
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Whatis6times9:

Postby Aeris » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:41 am

The Pixel image is fine (and good, I mean, by fine <<), but for the zoom on the face I find the two eyes too close to each other. His right eye (the one we see on the left) should be a bit further from the nose (... further? farther? errf <<).
Art Thread (not to be updated for a while)

Postby Vegedus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:55 am

Thanks everyone, for the positive comments ^^
And those that haven't already, must go here right now and make their own ID. I command it!

I'ma going to begin practicing some basic backgrounds, so the ground thing will be addressed in due time (or, overdue I guess it is).

Postby Relick » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:59 am

Heheheheheh...uber serious tagline, ne? The id looks very very nice, though of course there's plenty of room for improvement, as with anyone's work. Your pixel dude looks very stiff, but some practice with bodies and stuff can remedy that.

Very cool, regardless. Keep at it! ;D

Postby leddkire » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:35 am

Huh, now I come back to this thread and they're all back up! Nice sketches. I can see how you've improved over the years, and your coloring is great too.

Shoi wrote:Your Pixel id is super nice :D. I agree with Flux on drawing them on some sort of ground though.
And Leddkire, use the properties button to see them.

Ok, I'll do that next time. Thanks.

Postby Vegedus » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:47 pm

@ Relick. Seriuos?! I'm always serious! I make serious stories, I draw serious drawings (I'm not proud of the chibis, damnit!), I art serious, I fart serious! And melodramatic. If have a peculiar ye olde english-like language sometimes when I write, which makes it all seem like a terrible big deal.

Now, I'm not quite sure what you exactly meant by "Stiff" but he was meant to stand very much straight up and down. He isn't in a fighting pose, the black matter is. He'd be the kind that would just walk around casually, while the dark blades slice apart everything.

@ Leddikere

Thank you, foolish mortal. For I feed upon compliments and I soon have enough to take over the world, KEAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I only have another portrait for you today:

I look a little more natural in this one. My mom saw the other one, and she didn't like how angry I looked, and it really bothered her apparently, so she made me promise to do a "happy version". I dunno if she takes it as an indication of how I feel inside or something.

Postby Shoi » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:06 pm

Ah, nice :3 The neck is a tad long though. Don't worry, when I draw pin up styled girls, my brother asks me if I'm lesbian. X3
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Whatis6times9:

Postby CogitoIJ » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:04 pm

The second one does look better, the neck is a little long though, not that that isn't easily fixed. The eyes are better in this one, further apart.

Postby Vegedus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:41 pm

Thanks you two :3. Yeah, I dunno why I didn't just cut of the neck in photoshop. I mostly get the length right anyway, when there's a body for the neck to attach to.

*back to the Chibi Vader scenario*

Me: No! I cannot resists the cake! I must draw chibi to get it!

Chibi Vader: Good, Luk- Vegedus! Feel the power of the cute side. Join me and we will rule the world together! But first, you must also begin drawing yaoi.

Me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

*cough*
Anyway, about the pic, it's a Big Daddy from the game Bioshock, in case you can't see it (or don't know it). It's damn hard to chibinate because it's already quite deformed, without me having to add to it. Considering the setting, I tried to make the light green instead of standard sun-yellow... I'm not sure it came out that good...

And now back to the C.Y. XXX submission. Wait, I was supposed to do math next... And it's 11:40 pm. D'oh!

Postby Shoi » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:54 pm

Wow, Vegedus! That's super awesomecakes! Love the coloring! :3
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Whatis6times9:

Postby Vegedus » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:06 pm

*looks at Shoi's sig*

Wait, I can have an awesomecake? But I thought they were all yours? Awesome!

*takes a bite out of the cake*

Awesome!!

... So I take it you like the green highlight? And to think, the coloring is *sorta* rushed.

Postby Shoi » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:36 pm

It looks quite nice for a rushed coloring job, that and I like the somewhat grainy effect on Big Daddy. :3 Tee-hee make more great art and you'll get more awesomecakes!
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Whatis6times9:

Next

Return to Art