Endling F.A.Q.

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Endling F.A.Q.

Postby Endling » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:38 pm

Multani82 wrote:I guess I could ask a question as well, you don't have to answer endling if its either redundant or not worthy of a response. Will we learn more about the characters' backgrounds, such as red, Mr. Boots, etc.? Will we learn how they came to be or work for the Asylum and how they play a role in this story?

Oh, also, I have another question. Mr. Crooked seems to be the head physician of Asylum, does he play more than just the "fixer" in EA?

Every character will have their backgrounds fleshed out. Some in different ways than others. Some are flatter than others, though, namely some of the faculty and whatnot. The protagonists will have the largest share of their histories in the story, naturally. Wouldn't be much of a story if I didn't explain how everyone ended up in the asylum.

Dr. Crooked is indeed the head doctor of the asylum, though he is more on the side of psychological science than medicine. He performs experiments, research and oversees most everything in the darkest depths of the establishment. Hence his fetching skin color and dashing good looks. There are throngs of nurses and doctors to watch over the regular asylum inmates, specialized ones for the next tier of more dangerous inmates, and Dr. Crooked at the top of the ladder, along with his own squad of goons, for dealing with the nastiest of the nasties admitted in. I bet you can guess which ones those are.

Postby Script Kitty » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:45 pm

Endling wrote: Book: Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett. Pretty much anything by Pratchett.

Ahh yes... Pratchett. Greatest satirical mind of the common day. I just baught Reaper Man right after I finished Mort. My latest read was Pyramids which, like most of his books, I would highly recommend reading if you havn't already.

believe it or not, as contemptable as it sounds, I have only found 2 other people that have even Heard of Terry Pratchett. Much less specific books from the Discworld series. My first experiance with Pratchett was with his joint production with Neil Gaimon in Good Omens. A Good Omens movie was in development for a while but I believe it was postponed due to budget and marketing issues.

Endling wrote:...got into manga around seventh grade with Ranma 1/2 by Rumiko Takahashi. I never took a drawing course until college...

Yeah, Ranma certainly kicks the way-back-machine into gear. not quite my gateway anime, but close. My 12th grade "Intro to Art" teacher back in Missouri was astonished to hear that i was planning to go to an art college as well, having not taken a single art class since "fingerpainting" in elementary school. it's funny how that works.

Keep up the good work Endling ^_^

Postby MetalLegendAlpha » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:37 am

CarrionMan wrote:Tom Thumb is from a nursery rhyme where he saves his brothers from an ogre with the help of magic shoes.

I'm sorry are you Endling? None the less I can't find such a nursery rhymes about Tom with magic shoes, but if someone could possibly link me this nursery rhymes (or possibly fairy tale if that's what it is.) Because all I can find about Tom Thumb is him being the size of the average thumb (which in Ever After he's not) and a strange little adventure which involves him getting eaten several times, and eventually dieing of a spider bite...I have never come across these so called magic shoes, that apparently exist...

Anyways, besides that Endling I've realized something, Jack Sprat also doesn't have a full size picture, infact I've only see him four times in Deviantart. One in the Back to EverAfter poster looking thing, in the small picture which features an older picture of the EverAfter cast circling Mother Goose. One in the EverAfter group picture, which you drew the protanganists of EverAfter, and another group featuring various characters you made. I'd really like to see Jack Sprat colored in his new style, because besides Tom Thumb he's my favorite character, (design wise since I rarely know anything about their storylines.)

Postby Mr. Mono » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:05 pm

MetalLegendAlpha wrote:
CarrionMan wrote:Tom Thumb is from a nursery rhyme where he saves his brothers from an ogre with the help of magic shoes.

I'm sorry are you Endling? None the less I can't find such a nursery rhymes about Tom with magic shoes, but if someone could possibly link me this nursery rhymes (or possibly fairy tale if that's what it is.) Because all I can find about Tom Thumb is him being the size of the average thumb (which in Ever After he's not) and a strange little adventure which involves him getting eaten several times, and eventually dieing of a spider bite...I have never come across these so called magic shoes, that apparently exist...

He doesnt have to be endling to answer your post, you know.
Tom thumb was the youngest of many brothers and sisters.
Their familly was very poor so their paresnt, with alot of grief. Attempted to get rid of them in various ways, as they couldnt support them.
But Tom Thumb always found the way to lead his brothers and sisters back home. How? Why he always overheard his parents discussing ways to get rid of them so he prepared for the ocasion.
Until one day he could not lead them back home.
So they wandered until they found a giant´s house, where there was a kind old lady.
But her husband wasnt so kind at all and wanted to eat the kids (he was a giant you see). But her wife convinced him of not doing it and so the kids where allowed to sleep through the night.
However the giant still wanted to eat the kids, and tom thumb found out about this. So tom made the giant drunk with wine and swithced beds with the giant´ps daughters (or something like that). When the giant went into the room of his daughters to kill the children for tommorow´s breakfast, he ended killing his own daughters.
The next morning Tom thumb grabbed the giant´s boots and lead his brothers and sisters to safety. The boots allowed him to cross copuntrysides really fast for the took a hundread meter (league?) steps with them.
And so Tom thumb and his brothers where reunited with his family.
And after that something happened that made Tom thumb rich. It was either that he became a messenger in the war or discovered a treasure.
The end.

Anyways, besides that Endling I've realized something, Jack Sprat also doesn't have a full size picture, infact I've only see him four times in Deviantart. One in the Back to EverAfter poster looking thing, in the small picture which features an older picture of the EverAfter cast circling Mother Goose. One in the EverAfter group picture, which you drew the protanganists of EverAfter, and another group featuring various characters you made. I'd really like to see Jack Sprat colored in his new style, because besides Tom Thumb he's my favorite character, (design wise since I rarely know anything about their storylines.)

Here.

Postby Johnny Vill » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:44 pm

Mr. Mono wrote:

Here.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, that is a different Jack. The Jack in the picture you linked to slayed a giant after climbing a beanstalk. Jack Sprat is a skinny little bastard that can't eat no fat.
Well, I believe in God, and he's told me this. Things lying around were left for us to take.
Long before they were bought, just as they were made, ours to enjoy and

Not. To. Pay.

Postby Endling » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Mr. Vill would be correct.

Jack Sprat is his full name, but to avoid too much confusion with the other Jack in the story, he is referred to only as 'Sprat' in the comic. And I think that goes well 'cause 'Sprat' is the kind of name that lends itself well to a nuttier type of character.

The reason why Sprat was never featured in a full portrait was because he's a minor character.

My version of Tom Thumb is a blend of a few versions of the story, the most notable being Perrault's version.

A lot of folks have pointed out that 'Tom Thumb is supposed to be the size of a thumb but he's the tallest character in EA' as if I wasn't aware of that. Believe me, I've done my research, and it plays into the story. Those types of things won't go unexplained. :)

Postby Multani82 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:21 pm

Endling wrote:Mr. Vill would be correct.

Jack Sprat is his full name, but to avoid too much confusion with the other Jack in the story, he is referred to only as 'Sprat' in the comic. And I think that goes well 'cause 'Sprat' is the kind of name that lends itself well to a nuttier type of character.

The reason why Sprat was never featured in a full portrait was because he's a minor character.

My version of Tom Thumb is a blend of a few versions of the story, the most notable being Perrault's version.

A lot of folks have pointed out that 'Tom Thumb is supposed to be the size of a thumb but he's the tallest character in EA' as if I wasn't aware of that. Believe me, I've done my research, and it plays into the story. Those types of things won't go unexplained. :)

Just another question endling and I'm done. James farr, the creator of xombie, has already got book deals and what not going for him. My question, do you plan or hope for publish a illustrated novel of Everafter in the future? Or, do you plan on keeping it just a web based comic?

Postby MetalLegendAlpha » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:47 am

Mr. Mono wrote:
He doesnt have to be endling to answer your post, you know.
Tom thumb was the youngest of many brothers and sisters.
Their familly was very poor so their paresnt, with alot of grief. Attempted to get rid of them in various ways, as they couldnt support them.
But Tom Thumb always found the way to lead his brothers and sisters back home. How? Why he always overheard his parents discussing ways to get rid of them so he prepared for the ocasion.
Until one day he could not lead them back home.
So they wandered until they found a giant´s house, where there was a kind old lady.
But her husband wasnt so kind at all and wanted to eat the kids (he was a giant you see). But her wife convinced him of not doing it and so the kids where allowed to sleep through the night.
However the giant still wanted to eat the kids, and tom thumb found out about this. So tom made the giant drunk with wine and swithced beds with the giant´ps daughters (or something like that). When the giant went into the room of his daughters to kill the children for tommorow´s breakfast, he ended killing his own daughters.
The next morning Tom thumb grabbed the giant´s boots and lead his brothers and sisters to safety. The boots allowed him to cross copuntrysides really fast for the took a hundread meter (league?) steps with them.
And so Tom thumb and his brothers where reunited with his family.
And after that something happened that made Tom thumb rich. It was either that he became a messenger in the war or discovered a treasure.
The end.

Thank you, with that question answered I know more about Tom Thumb, and can get back to writing my Ever After Fanfic. ^_^

I think all the questions I have at the moment if anything else crosses my mind, I'll be back.

Postby Multani82 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:03 pm

Wow that explains tom's Boots that talk. Thanks for the information as I always wanted to know about Tom thumb and now I DO! I wonder what story he gets with Mr. Boots. I know there are several stories but which one did Endling use for his character.

Postby Clairvoire » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:22 pm

Ballpark estimate, how much time does one page of Everafter usually take you, Sir Endling?

And, just wondering, how much of Everafter doesn't make it to the final comic, like edits and omissions?

Postby Mellow » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:00 am

After reading Mr. Mono's explanation of Tom Thumb's story, this raises one question in my mind. Why does his shoes have mouths? Is this one of those tweaks you were talking about in your deviantart, one of those changes in costume?

Postby RedKnightRosen » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:52 pm

Ahh, a place to ask my question. Mr. Endling, I was curious about Jack, as in the "Stalker" Jack. In his artwork on your Deviantart, you listed that he had "Many names, but they were all the same". Does this mean that this Jack is perhaps representive of numerous other fairy tale Jacks? Obviously he's the Beanstalk Jack... and perhaps Jack the Giant Killer... But is he, perhaps, also nimble and so on?

At first glance it seemed obvious, but you never know how another writer thinks.

Postby Tenkuno » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:53 pm

Sorry if this has been asked already.

I was wondering if you used any people you know to base your chars. off of? Like personality wise or anything.

Tenkuno

Postby Jenx » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:25 pm

Couldn't find this answered, and since this IS what the thread is for (even though it seems to have been dead for around a month or so..)

1. Rosie and Posie. What exactly are they're.."hands"..made of anyway? Is it ash or something close to it? Or will this be left to be reveled in the story?

2. Since Everafter is a comic about fairy tales, which would you say was your favorite fairy tale as a child?

3. Ok this one isn't that serious, but I'm just being curious - Are those scars on Goldi's face left there by the bears?

Postby galletitairken » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:52 am

I'm going to say this as a grupie :3

Endling I love you!!! :3!!! you are a fuckin' genious *-*!!!
love your comic, love the story (so far, update more pls xs)

thx for updating double, i can live like a week more :)

Postby FallenAngel17 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:33 pm

hi
ImageImage

Postby Jir » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:41 am

Hiya endling great comic. I just wanted to know. Did I really see humpty dumpty in the first couple of comic? Really strange looking egg at least thats what it looked like to me.

Added after 6 minutes:

Endling wrote:
Dusk_Imp wrote:Yo Endling...is it just me or is Mr. Boots' boots made of metal? And does Red have an arsenal of saws that she hides in the asylum?

Yus to first question. No to second, more bizarre question. There is one saw. Hard enough lugging one of those things around.

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Mr. Boots, Puss in Boots?

Postby Jenx » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:08 am

Jir wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Mr. Boots, Puss in Boots?

Yes, yes he is.

Postby Legace » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:33 pm

Great another sad story with another sad ending, or at less, from what I can tell from. But I do love the way you draw.
I'm not sad, I'm not depress, I not emo...I just care too god damn much, but powerless to even help the innocent or weak.
always looking for a challenge
http://legace.mybrute.com

Postby NoSearchyFindy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:13 pm

Last edited by NoSearchyFindy on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Khan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:40 am

you've read fables, lullaby and the like, right? (many fairytale comics)

Postby NoSearchyFindy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:29 pm

Last edited by NoSearchyFindy on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Khan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:42 pm

oh, srry, that was intended fer endling, but read them; thier good!
btw: fables and lullaby are both in print, not web comics. lullaby is printed by alias comics (a subsidiary of image comics, i think) and fables is from vertigo comics (a subsidiary of DC comics, i know). carful with fables though, it is intended for older audiences.

Postby TheLetterM » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:39 pm

I was wondering which story Ree was from.

Postby Naddle » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:41 pm

TheLetterM wrote:I was wondering which story Ree was from.

Ree is the main character in a story that Endling has in the works, possibly not going up for a while, but we never know. The story itself is called Ree.
When a ninja kills you, you never see him coming. Pirates, on the other hand, say "Arrr!", alerting you to their presence. Then they kill you anyway.

PreviousNext

Return to EverAfter