Aeris' Art - Art dump

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Aeris' Art - Art dump

Postby Aeris » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:47 am

Summer time, summer time...

And summer time means free time!

Some of you people might remember me from last year, I arrived at Snafu late may and left early september. This, of course, corresponds (don't know if that word means anything in English) to the summer holidays >.<

I haven't drawn anything but trigonometric circles or mineralogic composition of rocks since I left Snafu, mainly due to lack of time but also because I just didn't feel like drawing whenever I had a bit of free time. I'm slightly regreting that, but what could one do about it? So yea, when I came back on Snafu a couple of days ago, I really didn't think I would start drawing again - and at the moment, I still don't think I might start drawing again. By "Drawing" I mean drawing regularly - if I made this thread in the Art Forum, it is of course because I will post something that at least resembles to some kind of art.

By the way, if you just want to take a look at the picture, skip the next couple of paragraphs. Since any single picture that I draw takes me a hell lot of time, I usually don't feel like posting it on the forum without saying anything.

Back to the subject. I got to thanks Ivanssj4 for getting my lazy ass back to drawing. Initially, I was just taking a glance at Erix, Alfina and Darkness_Calls's art thread (along with some other art threads) to see if they were still on Snafu, and if they improved (which was really stupid, of course they improved). I didn't feel like opening once again an art thread - and what would I post in it anyway? I wasn't drawing anymore. Same for litterature forum, this whole fanfic stuff didn't interest me anymore (no insult meant for those who write/read fanfics).

Ivanssj4, some guy that I didn't know, PMed me asking if I was going to post some new art in my old art thread (which I didn't even know if it still existed). I took a look at his art thread (to be polite, and also because I was curious), and his drawings reminded me that... Well, you don't have to be some kind of God of Art to post on Snafu! Heck, I was just stupidly ashamed of my drawings. I gave him some advices to improve his pictures, and I redraw one of his picture into this.

But eh! It's holiday! Why don't I get my lazy butt to improve my coloring skills (providing they even exist)? So I did, forcing myself to get out of that bed where I'm sleeping 90% of they day and 100% of the night and open photoshop once again. And here is what I get.

Link

Now seriously. I'm... Let's say, quite happy with what I did. First, because I actually did something. Would that be a huge crap, I would still get a little bit of satisfaction because I did something. Meaning, I could manage to keep myself motivated to end this picture. Second, because I honestly and humbly don't believe that to be a huge crap. I even think I improved (although having left Art in the Abysses of whatever for almost a year).

On the other hand, I'm unhappy because of several things (well, can't expect to feel like I saved the world or anything - that would be quite comic).
First, I've used about ten hours to draw that. It's sure that I wouldn't be able to do anything much better than this anyway at the moment, but heck. Ten hours for that?! My, I feel really bad when I see people post some awsome pics and say 'I kinda rushed it so it might suck (liar! :'( ) and it took me about one hour and a half'. Holy crap. One - Hour - And - A - Half. Let's see. In one hour and a half, they managed to draw their character, clean up the mess, scan, color, shade and add effects that I don't even know what they are. In one hour and a half, I can - well. Draw and scan. And... I might be re-inking the lines on Photoshop after one hour and a half.

But what would Ganon say about that? Practice is the key. Stop whining and get your lazy ass to work. And he's right >.<

What else annoys me in that drawing?

There is the sword. Passed about three hours drawing it and coloring it, and ended with a... Well, let's say it's alright. I am, of course, conscious that it looks really weird. Look at the hilt. And now look at the blade. See the problem? Yup, saw that too. But too late >.<
Coloring it was also a pain in the ***. I felt so tired (don't ask why, I start drawing at 11 p.m. and stop at 2 a.m.) that I just used random effects such as clouds or the gradient tools, making it a mediocre piece of what-should-look-like-metal-but-does-not.

There are the boots. I had to redraw his left foot because it wasn't at the same level than his right foot, which made him somewhat levitating in a very weird manner. And it looked bad. Now? It also looks bad. Not as bad, though.

But lo! What's that horrible thing upon his feet?! Boots. No, really, I promise. Those are boots, even if they look like some kind of ugly-rainbow pseudo-shoes. That was the last thing I did, and this picture was seriously starting to annoy me (as well as Windows popping messages to tell me that my C: / folder memory was so low that Mister Computer couldn't get his ass to obey my commands. YOU SHALL OBEY ME! Damn computer). I colored it in a very fast manner and tried to vary shading. Result? I shall not try again for a long time.

Last thing that was particularily annoying was to draw the hand holding the hilt of the sword. Personally, I'm still not satisfied at all with it, I feel like it still doesn't look like a hand. Another thing is that some black lines are blury due to the fact that I enlarged the picture to 4000x5000 to color/shade it, and lineart didn't appreciate that, so it decided to screw up some black lines badly (look at his chest, for example. Wait, doesn't chest mean the thing where pirates hide their bounty in? Arrr, matey).

Coloring was done Erix style. Well, not really. I don't even know how Erix color his pictures, but I say 'Erix style' because it's done with a single color shade for each part (if you don't look at the boots, 'cause they were a total disaster). I'm pretty happy with the head, which doesn't look horribly inhuman for once, as well as the pants which actually resemble to pants and not some paper sheets wrapped around what should be legs.

Alright, I'm done with talking. I have no idea if I will draw some more to put things in this art thread, I have no idea if you people even care about that or are even reading what I'm writing, but whatever. I shall try to keep drawing. And that, thanks to Ivanssj4 and people like Erix, Darkness and a bunch of others (sorry, too lazy to put your names) who keep drawing and improving. I might say that Darkness is the one that improved the most in my opinion.

Now, discuss, flame, comment or dance in front of your computer (I wasn't aiming at you, Mir@k).
Last edited by Aeris on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:08 am, edited 18 times in total.

Postby nabichan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:49 am

Ahaha...First off, I think you're being waaaay too hard on yourself. Yeah, everyone has room to improve, but that's no reason to nitpick and every single little thing that annoys you. Just have fun with your art...it looks fine! The sword looks great, and though the anatomy could use a bit of work, the coloring is nicely done as well!

Postby Aeris » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:59 am

Awwww thanks Nabichan.

Please tell me what goes wrong in the anatomy pleaseeeee :3
Art Thread (not to be updated for a while)

Postby Coos » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:03 am

ok, first, welcome back :P

Second, great drawing, I'm admired by the coloring and shading....seeing as though I'm working on that stuff :P

Third, do what Nabi said and stop being hard on yourself. You sound like me :snoogins:

And nobody wants to be like lil' Coosie.

Can't wait for more.

Postby MrHoboX » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:09 am

I agree with nabi, you are being much to hard on yourself. Take the sword for instance, I personally think you did a great job expressing metal texture, and the rings look great. As for anatomy, there are only a few minor things (Pectoral, Abdominal, Trapezius, and the Deltoids are a wee bit off). The important thing to remember is that no gets good all at once. It takes time and practice, and love for what you do. If you want to improve anatomy, check out these books

http://acid.noobgrinder.com/Loomis/

They are an invaluable tool, Id suggest starting with fun with a pencil.
And lastly have fun with art... Aint that why we're all here?
_-The Official Trademarks Of MrHoboX-
(AWESOME TO THE MAX!/*Thumbs Up)
Note: Use of these without the express written consent of MrHoboX, will result in Disemboweling, survivors will be burnt, if you survive that then you my friend get pie... Sweet sexy pie.

Re: Aeris - Back to Art?

Postby Aeris » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:15 am

Thanks, guys.

I'll take a look - No, I'll study in details those books in your link, I really want to get Anatomy right. It's the main thing I have to work on (the second being the clothes).

Seriously, I didn't screw up as much as I should have (consider that as luck) for I've never drawn a man now that I think about it. And thanks god I didn't draw his eyes, otherwise we would have some kind of hermaphrodite (eyes that I draw always have a girly/childish look).

EDIT: MrHoboX, I'll never thank you enough. This 'Fun with a Pencil' book is just awsome. Awsome.

Re: Aeris - Hum? (02/07)

Postby Aeris » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:57 am

Who are you?

I'm frequently wondering about that. Who is this person I am talking to?

By that, I rarely mean what does she/he (girls first, guys) look like, but rather how does she/he thinks? Most of the time I had a conflict with someone, I noticed that the problem was not about the subject of the conflict - it was only about a different view of the world. Humans work by analogy *pause and wonder if that word exist in English*. I think one is sad because this person shows exterior signs I interpret as sadness, or because she's just been through an experience that I would consider sad.

Yet, sometimes I get it all wrong. Doesn't that bother you when you think that someone needs a bit of help, yet he is perfectly fine? It does trouble me.

How can someone not be sad by the death of a relative? Of a friend? This will always stay a mystery for me.

Anyway, here is a little drawing about me trying to use my brain to answer all these questions. I said 'Trying to use', mind you. Brain is not easily tamed in summer.

Postby MrHoboX » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:34 pm

Well, thats just adorable! And your welcome, Im just trying to get as many people as possible to check the books out before the site gets found out.

And in reference to the sadness thing, it's odd yes but I dont think its that odd. My grandmother died a couple years back, my dad and mom took it hard but I didnt feel anything. It isnt that I didnt care, death just doesnt bug. I understand it.
Note: Use of these without the express written consent of MrHoboX, will result in Disemboweling, survivors will be burnt, if you survive that then you my friend get pie... Sweet sexy pie.

Postby Coos » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:36 pm

I agree with Hobo, she does look very adorable.

Postby Emerald Emblem » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:37 pm

I can only third this statement.
Lily: few people here are worthy of my rape

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:49 pm

Awwww....

*eats*
Patt-Ytto Productions | Dickwaffles

Postby nabichan » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:51 pm

SO CUTE! As for the very first image...I can't help you too much with male anatomy XD That's my ultimate weakness.

Postby Jingle Males » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:55 pm

Mir@k wrote:Image
Awwww....

*eats*

HEY! I was going to have that for dinner! <_<

Cute pic BTW, love the way you did her hair.
Youre Gold. Act like it
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Atisutoakino » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:55 pm

awww cute chibi. =3
I made my pkmn trainer card so STOP BUGGING ME!!
dA account Add me? I think you should...
My Art Thread Yaa.

Postby Aeris » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:03 am

@ MrHoboX: Well, I just can't seem to understand that << Anyway, shanks again for the books (and the comment)!^^

@Coos: Does she? :p

@PPGD Fan: Me three, then.

@Mir@k: Nay! No eat! No eat! *Go hide*

@Nabichan: SHAaaaanks!^^ Men = Pain, anyway :p (jokeeeeeee! No hit! No hit!)

@Broccoli: Nay! Another psycopath! I colored the hair uh... let's say, random style.

@Atisutokasomethingwhatever: Sorry for screwing up your name, I have a bad memory << But shanks :p

I shall try to keep drawing. I shall try to... I shall... What was I saying again? *Watch TV*

Postby Aeris » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:40 am

Here, a quick sketch of what will be my submission for the context. I hope I'll have enough time to color it and shade it, since I'm leaving next week >.<

For once, the sketch didn't take me very long. Well, I had an image as a reference, and those who know the comic (and you should, you really should! :p) will recognize the pose as soon as they see it.

Tintin!

Postby Tae » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:45 am

omg tintin in anime version_??? :o hmnn hope u can finish it :D

Postby MrHoboX » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:42 am

A classic if there ever was one... On a side note I heard there is a movie version in the works.

Re: Aeris - Contest submission sketch: Tintin (05/07)

Postby leddkire » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:43 am

Ahhh good ol' Tintin. Looks very good but the dog is like "Hmm no hands. He must not be Tintin! " All suspicious-like :P I know it's still a sketch, let's see how you pull off the hand. The anatomy looks fine IMO.

Postby Aeris » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:29 pm

Time's cutting short, I'm leaving tonight.

*Sigh* Guess I was too lazy to try to finish that in time, it's very likely that this pic will also end up unfinished.

Tomorrow... China!^^

Bye bye, guys :/

Postby MrHoboX » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:12 pm

Have an awesome trip!!!!!

Postby Aeris » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:17 am

Eh guys! A quick hello from China.

I've done some sketches (no scanner here), but it's mainly work on human proportions. Now I'll have to work more on the face, which is a real problem since I can't seem to get the right look on the right character.

However, it's possible that I won't have access to internet once I get back home (in two days) since I'm changing from Wanadoo to Free.

Anyway, I'm surely going to turn that Art thread into a semi trip-journal (with pictures, of course) to share with you what China really is. Errrr... Now that I think about it, most of the pictures are pics of food^^'

Postby nabichan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:19 am

I'm not sure if I know who or what this Tintin is...but your drawing looks like it's coming a long way. Great job! That pose and perspective are both quite difficult to work with, but it looks like you're not having too many issues with them.

Postby Atisutoakino » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:30 pm

it looks better colored then....uncolored.
I made my pkmn trainer card so STOP BUGGING ME!!
dA account Add me? I think you should...
My Art Thread Yaa.

Re: Aeris - Back and ready to update!

Postby Aeris » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:32 am

Alright! Here comes the big update, with plenty of drawings (at last).

Can't seem to get that thing right. What? Well, these two are supposed to be the same person, yet they don't look like it. I think I screwed up the eyes on the second one...

Training on anatomy, tall and heavy proportions (warrior using a maul). Don't mind the face^^'

Again training on anatomy, this time a try on elvish warrior proportions. I faced a problem which is: Elves are supposed to be thin and slender, yet I didn't want him to look too weak (warrior). I ended up with regular human proportions xD

Training again, this time dwarvish warrior. You can see him raise a shield (or at least, imagine it for the moment <<) in defense, his right arm holding something like... Dunno, a spear? Bah. I think I made him a bit too tall (for a dwarf, that is).

Supposed to be the same dwarf in action, jumping on his ennemy. Yet, I feel like I made him taller than in the previous image (gasp, he was already a tall dwarf, now he is just a small human xD)

Training on the eyes, this time. Trying different styles, yet you can see that I often screw up... One eye never look like the other << (too big, not aligned, too dark...)

First finished image, which was at first also just a sketch. Basically, chilling.

Second finished image. I did the body first, which is why this face might look a bit strange with this pose (I was getting desperate trying to draw a cute face, so I decided to try something else this time). You can see that the hand (hated that one) is still anormal. Got to redraw it.

That's all for now^^
Comments and critics are welcome, even if they are harsh :3

Next

Return to Art