Totem RP OOC. *For to Discuss Roleplaying.*

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: RP Mod Squad, Mod Squad

Postby Mathias » Tue May 15, 2007 9:17 am

I'll allow it.

I wish more of the people who voted would sign up...

Here's info about the film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Dark_Materials:_The_Golden_Compass

Postby k-hallowseve » Tue May 15, 2007 2:28 pm

Sounds cool, Mathias. I'm reserving a spot until I can get a sheet put together. :)

Here we go, lemme know if any details need tweaked:

Person’s Name: Tarik Nihthelm (pronounced more-or-less ‘night-helm’—it’s an Old English kenning.)
Person’s Age: 16
Person's Gender: Male
(Temporary appearance pic, as Tarik’s a reworked DnD PC for the purposes of this RP—the comments have nothing to do with the Totem RP version. I’ll make a new one later that fits the universe better, but for now): http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/50085226/
And a theme song because I'm an utter dork: Valhalla - Blind Guardian

Person’s History:
Tarik has moved to Refthelm within the last year. As such, he is still something of a ‘new guy.’ Raised in the frozen lands to the north by his father, Tarik has a grand cultural history to live up to, and can’t wait for the opportunity to do so. Other than the (not-recent) death of his mother and relocating from his homeland, however, life has been rather uneventful for him. With luck, he may finally find some adventure to test his mettle in Refthelm.

Personality Quirks:
Tarik is an adventurous and noble young man. He grew up reading the grand sagas of his heritage, and wishes to relive such glory days himself. He has the soul of a warrior and a poet, a strong sense of valor and honor, and yet is quite a free spirit (in DnD terms, he’d be chaotic good ;)), willing to break the rules if they offend his sense of justice. He can be a bit of a prankster, though to the casual observer he doesn’t seem like a likely culprit. If he can’t find real action, he sometimes creates his own mischief, in other words. Has been known to randomly speak in poetic forms, and use alliteration when it suits him. Tarik takes a book wherever he goes; usually, it is some sort of worn-out, leather-bound tome full of ancient sagas on musty, yellowed pages that he found in an obscure street-vendor kiosk.

Clothing Style:
I need a more specific time period/cultural designation to be too precise on clothing design (I've played SCII, but not the first one). Overall, though, he wears lots of blue, white, and grey; prefers natural fabrics like linen, wool, and cotton, and likes strong leather work boots or shoes. He has a pair of thick leather bracelets he wears everywhere, along with a silver bird-shaped pendant he jokingly refers to as Hrafnsmerki (Translated: Raven Banner. Wiki it; it’s fascinating :)). Both ears are pierced.

Items:
His book, a small rucksack he keeps it and anything else in, a leather pouch with his father's savings. A shield and sword from their shop's remaining inventory (refer to his character pic for visual reference). A recently purchased wind rune (unequipped). A small ocarina for entertainment, purchased in Cruz. A wolf necklace for Shana that somewhat resembles Hrafnsmerki, which has not been given to her yet.

Totem’s Name: Muninn
Totem’s “Race”: Raven
Totem's Gender: Female
Totem’s Element: Air/wind
Totem's Rune: Wind. Currently unequipped; looks like this, until I change my mind.

Notes on Muninn: Muninn is watchful, an observer who relays information almost constantly to her companion, Tarik. Her name is the un-Anglicized spelling (Old Norse, I believe) of one of the Norse god Odin's two ravens Hugin and Munin (or 'thought' and 'memory'). Hugin and Munin were messengers and newsbearers, flying about the earth each morning and bringing back word to Odin. Ravens were important to Norse and Anglo-Saxon culture as symbols of death, divine justice, and battle (many kennings refer to battle as 'feeding the ravens' with corpses or some variation of such. Muninn is an appropriate totem for Tarik because of her association with Odin as a relayer of information, as well as her association with epic battles (which Tarik dreams of), and Tarik's cultural influences. She is a wise creature who sees much, and as such, can sometimes seem pessimistic or world-weary. But she also enjoys Tarik's bold optimism and sense of adventure, which she tempers with her protectiveness and practicality.
Last edited by k-hallowseve on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
I'm not dead! I'm getting better... >.>
----
Þæt fram hám gefrægn Higeláces þegn
gód mid Géatum, Grendles daéda•
sé wæs moncynnes mægenes strengest
on þaém dæge þysses lífes
æþele ond éacen•
----
Elemental Academy CS #1, #2 | X Institute CS #1, #2 | Totem RP CS
The wandering hobo.

Postby Mathias » Tue May 15, 2007 5:21 pm

That's amazing, you're in. As far as clothing, it doesn't have to be particular to the era. Look at Final Fantasy IX, how many people dressed like Zidane and Vivi during Medieval times?

Postby Crosis » Tue May 15, 2007 5:31 pm

yo, why didn't you tell us this was from the His Dark Material book series? Spot so reserved, even though I had planned to get a sheet up already

Postby gthegreat277 » Tue May 15, 2007 6:01 pm

ooh. looks interesting. CS in a few...

Postby k-hallowseve » Tue May 15, 2007 6:30 pm

Cool, thank ye then. :) I'll come up with some more specific clothing stuff in a little while.
----
æþele ond éacen•
----
The wandering hobo.

Postby Mathias » Tue May 15, 2007 6:52 pm

Crosis wrote:yo, why didn't you tell us this was from the His Dark Material book series? Spot so reserved, even though I had planned to get a sheet up already

I didn't know it was based on that. Wild coincidence.

Added after 3 minutes:

Co-GM position available. Apply within.

Postby gthegreat277 » Tue May 15, 2007 6:58 pm

Name: Davin Wyrdna

History: Lived with his family happily for a while, but his parents had set out a huge favor to someone, and they couldn't find a way to pay him back, so they were taken to be used as slaves until Davin can find a way to repay the man, so he went to Refthelm to try and find something he could do or give.

Personality Quirks: can be extremely rude and blunt at times, and has a habit of sticking his nose where he shouldn't, and occasionally doesn't know when to shut his mouth.

Clothing Style: just a simple black pair of pants and white shirt with an eagle sewn onto the breast

Totem:
Name: Clishen (klee-shen)
Race: Snow wolf
Element: Ice
Rune: Ice

Postby Mathias » Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 pm

Accepted. Just be sure to keep an eye on your capitalization.

Re: Totem RP OOC.

Postby Glacier » Tue May 15, 2007 7:58 pm

So, not to nit pick or anything, but when do you think this RP will start?

Postby Mathias » Tue May 15, 2007 7:59 pm

Glacier wrote:So, not to nit pick or anything, but when do you think this RP will start?

Perhaps tomorrow. I was waiting to see if more people (who voted on it) would sign up.

Postby Crosis » Tue May 15, 2007 8:11 pm

I will sign up, just this is a real bad time for me. My week is absolutely packed. CS up soon.

Postby Mathias » Tue May 15, 2007 8:12 pm

No problem.

Postby k-hallowseve » Tue May 15, 2007 9:11 pm

Hmm... methinks we need more female characters, personally. So if you don't get a few more within the next couple days, I may set up a second character sheet for you to look over to close the gap.

I know one of the RPs I'm playing has 4 female characters (I've got one), and 12 or more guys, which is like some kind of demographic nightmare. XD

By the way, it's cool that we're starting soon. I run out of things to do very quickly, so I spend a lot of time lurkng around this forum.
----
æþele ond éacen•
----
The wandering hobo.

Postby Mathias » Tue May 15, 2007 9:23 pm

Sounds like how I spend my time. Only I drive around town aimlessly.

Postby k-hallowseve » Tue May 15, 2007 9:30 pm

I don't think I could afford the gas required for driving around enough to fight my boredom. Even essays for class don't cut it. It was alright for a little while, but my first RP has slowed down a lot, and I'm still stuck in limbo on the second one. I think I need a few more RPs to fill my blank existence. lol
----
æþele ond éacen•
----
The wandering hobo.

Postby Mathias » Wed May 16, 2007 12:27 am

IC will go up later today. Probably before 1 pm. Feel free to submit your cs after the fact. I will not be closing registration.

Postby Casmiricus » Wed May 16, 2007 12:34 am

I'm going to make a CS Mathias, just haven't had time today. Had the AP Chemistry exam. The College Board People are bastards.

Anyways, I hope to have my CS up by 6 P.M. tomorrow, (20 hours)

I'd also like to apply for the position of Co-GM at that time.

Postby Mathias » Wed May 16, 2007 12:47 am

Cool. Just send me a PM with your "resume."

Postby HailfireMage » Wed May 16, 2007 1:30 am

You guys are lucky, I never have enough time to do things...
Yes I know I'm bloody young, now shut up...

Postby Mathias » Wed May 16, 2007 10:33 am

IC is up and running.

Postby Archrival » Wed May 16, 2007 11:20 am

YaY

Added after 31 minutes:

Shana you do know that Sloth's are rather good killers?? and my character didn't run he quickly walked he's too lazy to run.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Mathias » Wed May 16, 2007 11:28 am

It's all up to interpretation. It's like saying to someone: "How are you gonna sit there and blah, blah, blah," when they're actually standing.

Postby Archrival » Wed May 16, 2007 11:31 am

oh like a kind of saying e.g 'are gonna sit on your lazy all day or are you gonna do something?'
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Mathias » Wed May 16, 2007 11:38 am

Sorta. Helpful advice, Rival, you should preview your posts in the IC thread before you submit them. It can get hard to know what you're saying when a word or punctuation is missing.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing