LORD, have mercy. 3 days. 3 DAYS.
Who would ever have thought this picture would have taken so long to finish, eh? Certainly not me....I was actually planning to finish this on the same day I drew it.
So, about this picture.
I wanted to test myself to see how well I could render heavily detailed backgrounds, so I undertook this exercise.
I also wanted to top the success that my other drawing "Follow Your Dreams" had, so I created this as a companion piece to it...more or less. So, that involved some serious brainstorming and a whole lot more attention to detail.
I wanted to appeal to Kimi's Japanese roots, so I delved into a more Pan-Asian backdrop....complete with pagoda-like structures, Japanese lanterns, and a nod to 'Grave of the Fireflies'. Originally, I wanted to make this a nighttime scene, but I figured that I've got to try something new this time around, so I made it a sunset scene instead.
I was rather surprised at how well it turned out.
Some interesting tidbits about this picture:
- There were actually three buildings in the background. One was removed from the final cut for two reasons. One, I had already spend a good couple of days rendering the pagodas, and I certainly wasn't in the mood to continue on that. And Two, it looked BUTT UGLY. The proportions were a mess, and made the composition look awkward.
- Also, the second building in the background also had a window on the side. Removed for looking too crooked and bent out of shape.
- Though not entirely intentional, the design of the pagodas in the background is supposed to resemble the helmet of a samurai...somewhat. It just came out that way and I thought it'd be a good story.
- Kimi's dress was originally green, but changed to red because it's a more exotic colour.
And now, a playlist of the songs that saw me through this, from beginning to end:
- "Jazz Maniac" by Michael Sembello (this actually inspired me to start this one. I suggest you download it from his website, and give it a listen.)
- "Human Nature" by Michael Jackson
- "Liu Kang's Tomb" by Dan Forden, Mortal Kombat Deception.
- "Voices in the Dark (Erotic Dreams)" by Enigma and Deep Forest.
- "Diary of Jane" by Breaking Benjamins
- "Addicted" by Kelly Clarkson
Also, I figured that I needed to show the AGU fans some appreciation for all of the support over the years (and because I've nearly hit 10,000 pageviews on my DA account), so I jumped the gun and did this. Somewhat ironically, I also did this because at the time, I had SEVERE artist's block. Let's just say that whenever I have troubles like that, Kimi always seems to help me out, in someway or the other. She's like, my personal avatar against artist's block. Or something.
Strangely enough, though, somebody commented that the setting looked more Chinese than Japanese....I'm somewhat inclined to agree. I'm guessing it's the red that's giving off that impression.
So, please enjoy my humble offerings.