The Gunslinger's Gallery!

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby New Era Outlaw » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:00 am

There are some out of you out there who might remember me as a fan of Rugrats, this one in particular:

Image <==Poke Roll and see what happens.

Re: The Gunslinger's Gallery!

Postby Noir » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:41 am

You have great effects, and amazing attention to detail! Thanks for sharing!

Location: Wait, wait, don't tell me . . . I KNOW I know the answer to this one . . .

Postby New Era Outlaw » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:07 pm

Thanks, guys.

Whoo....haven't updated in a while.
So, my first drawing for 2007. Hope I haven't gotten rusty or anything like that.

Some of you may have already seen me draw this character a few times before.
For those of you that haven't, this is Abominator, a former mercenary turned personal henchman for the evil Zanmato. Here's some backstory on him:

Very little is known about the man who calls himself the Abominator. What is known that he was once a mercenary that came under contract for Zanmato, who had placed a price on a certain target's head. The mercenary, intent on reeling his quarry in, saw this as just another case.

Possessing keen tracking skills that came with the territory, the mercenary tracked his prey to a small town. Wasting no time, he ambushed his target, expecting it to be just another job that would soon be over with. The target, however, was no ordinary man, and proved to be quite a competent fighter, as well as a capable gunslinger. Finding himself outmatched, the mercenary fled empty-handed.

Zanmato was outraged at the mercenary's failure, but decided to give him another chance, as no-one available seemed apt for the task. He devised a plan, and issued his orders. The mercenary understood what the task entailed....it would involve breaking his target's mind and soul, and he knew just how to do it.

In the dead of night, he kidnapped his quarry's fiancee, and murdered her.
He then buried her body, and then, shovel in hand, tossed the tool at his target's doorstop, with an ominous note attached telling him to 'Start digging.'

Sure enough, he got his target's attention, and confronted him on a canyon ledge. However, all didn't go exactly as planned....instead of a broken man filled with grief, he found an enraged person seeking vengeance. The fight lasted for a while with the mercenary gaining the upper hand, but, at the last second, his quarry freed himself from his grasp, and, shotgun in hand, blasted him off of the canyon's edge. This would mark the end of the mercenary...or so he thought.

He awoke in a chamber, surrounded by tubes and cables.
In a panic, he smashed the capsule he was encased in, and fell to the floor at Zanmato's feet. Zanmato informed him that he did, in fact, survive the encounter, but his human body was damaged too severely. His spinal column had been utterly smashed on the canyon floor, completely destroying his nervous system and rendering all but his very mind useless. As such, Zanmato had him outfitted with a new cybernetic nervous system, with a few 'upgrades'. Sure enough, the mercenary looked at himself, and was utterly horrified at what he saw. Cables protruded from his arms into his back, and a long cable hung from his neck. Metallic bracers loned the lower halves of his leg. Most of all, as he unmasked, he saw a hideously scarred face looking back at him.....it was almost inhuman. Almost driven insane by the sight, the man screamed, "What the HELL did you do to me?!" before attacking Zanmato in a rage.

Zanmato, however, was unflustered, and, in a swift motion, cut across his assailant's midsection with his sword. Sheathing his blade, he simply told him, "All I did was save your life. With my guidance, you can and will be unstoppable. Above all else, though, remember this.....you belong to ME now."

Abominator's special abilities stem from his cybernetic nervous system, which runs on special batteries carried on his person. The electrical discharges from the battery packs served as somewhat artificial nerve impulses which allows Abominator's body movement. However, these packs have been altered somewhat so that, with proper handling, they can release a powerful electrical discharge as well. These discharges can release up to 5000 Volts of electricity, and can be focused through Abominator's metal cables, which fire from his forearms. Furthermore, he can use these cables as a siphon, of sorts, to recharge his own batteries when they run low or if he wishes to obtain more power. Located at the ends of the cables (seen nestled in the palms of his hands), his belt buckle and shoulder guards are miniature mines, which can explode one Abominator separates them from this armor. These mines absorb electrical power, and can produce various explosions, dependant on how much electricity he allows to disperse. Abominator is also trained in Systema Combat Arts.

Personality wise, however, Abominator is somewhat of a loose cannon. He would either act under Zanmato's orders or fly in a rage and act on his own accord. Because of the circumstances surrounding his being, Abominator, true to his name, loathes everyone and everything around him....especially the one person who caused him to be the way he is today. To an extent, he also displays somewhat psychotic tendencies, probably as a side effect on the mental shock on what he had become.

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:25 pm

He looks cool, you have a colored version?
Patt-Ytto Productions | Dickwaffles

Postby New Era Outlaw » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:16 pm

No, I'm afraid not right now. Perhaps in the near future, though...

Anyhoo, thanks for the support, guys. Appreciate it! :D

In other news...

For some odd reason, everytime I run across one of my old Danny Phantom drawings in my archives, I always feel the need to top what I did back then.
It's not like I'm really an over the top OHMYFREAKINGGAWD type fan of Danny Phantom, to be honest....I'm more of a casual watcher, really. But, still, Danny is pretty fun to draw. Not to mention incredibly easy, to boot.

Postby DarkCrystal65 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:29 am

awesome I love them all. I would give some advice but I don't see anything too particular that you should fix guess it's up to you to improve yourself heh.
The Darkness in our Hearts....
Improving myself in every picture but I need critics so please comment.

My Art Thread

Postby New Era Outlaw » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:25 pm

Back, with another character concept:

Bane was a concept that I have been toying around with for quite some time, and yet never quite realized because I couldn't quite find an appropriate angle for him within the storyline. I finally came up with the idea that he should be a savage yet servile member of Zanmato's apparently growing entourage.
Here is a concept storyline for him:

Not much, if anything at all, is known about the most vicious minion of Zanmato. From his appearance, many come to the conclusion that he is a lycanthrope, a condition that curses its otherwise human victims to endure werewolf-like features, as well as a feral state of mind.

Bane is somewhat unconditionally loyal to Zanmato, despite his own animal instincts. Almost like a loyal pet, he would carry out orders by his 'master', with neither fear of consequence of his actions, nor question of their morality. Unlike Inferno, whose acts bound on recklessness, and Abominator, who can act like a loose cannon at times, Bane carries out whatever tasks are asked of him without letting anything compromise his mission. Understandably, this has caused some degree of conflict between himself and Abominator, the latter believing that he is nothing more than 'a paper-fetching suck up who drinks out of the toilet'. Though Bane himself doesn't speak much other than grunts and barks, he does understand human language, and, as such, doesn't hesitate to put a severe biting on anybody who disrespects him or Zanmato.

As far as the Acolytes are concerned, the enemies of his master are his own. He does not have a particular enmity for a particular foe, but can and will put his teeth to the necks of anybody who serves as an opponent.

Because of his hybrid nature, Bane possesses razor-sharp claws and teeth, acute tracking senses, and the ability to slip into a feral state and attack with unbridled rage. Bane can also move very swiftly and stealthily, especially in the dark, where he has the advantage. To instill some discipline into the beast, however, Zanmato has trained him in Hung Gar Kung Fu, some moves of which allow Bane to make effective use of his arms and claws in close quarters.

Postby FrozenDream » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:04 pm

wow very nice!i missed a whoel lto heh heh..
我喝茶。你喝茶?

Postby New Era Outlaw » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:30 pm

...you know, it's been a while since I drew Roll.
Quite a shame, really, since she's one of my favorite video game characters of all time. So, here she is, for your enjoyment.

Anyhoo, here's a sketch of Roll, and, by her side, is her faithful companion 'Meep' (a nod to the Mega Man TV Show), who's carrying the groceries for her. In case you're wondering why the band-aid's on Meep's head, it's because Meep happens to be the same Metool that gets clobbered by Roll in an earlier work that I did.

So, about the drawing....I definitely wanted to do justice to Roll this time around, because my last few works involving her....just...UGH. I'm really happy at how this one came out, though. Came out exactly how I wanted it. Expect a colour version of this soon!

Postby nabichan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:11 am

Your work is done very well. I can't help but to be amazed by the effects you put into it as well. Great stuff! Keep it up!

Postby New Era Outlaw » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:33 pm

Thanks for the support, guys.
Here's the coloured version:

For this work, I wanted to depict Roll as someone who's not only friendly, but full of joy and childlike innocence. As such, I've given her a background that looks like it came straight from a Curious George storybook. Also, Roll is full of smiles for the viewer. Isn't that nice. =)

Some of you die hard Mega Man fans may also have noticed her broom from the game Mega Man: Powered Up! It's really a shame she didn't have that weapon earlier....I had lots of fun clobbering things with that broom in the game. Of course, I'm not exactly sure Meep shares that sentiment (three guesses as to where the band-aid on his head came from...)

For those of you who want to see this without the background, follow this link:

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:04 am

ZOMFG! I LOOOOOOOVE ROLL!
Patt-Ytto Productions | Dickwaffles

Postby Torgue » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:51 am

Great drawing, NEO.

Postby MightyfineKillah » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:50 am

The art is awesome and the style kicks ass.

Postby Shoi » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:15 pm

Very nice work, New Era Outlaw! I love your ink works and great Kimmie(sp?) Fan art. :D
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Do you know where i live? Fucking Barbados.
Whatis6times9:
It was about as easy as... Goddammit, it is to easy. And to me a whore is just a slut with a good sense of enterprise.

Postby Makoto_Shinobi » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:14 pm

Sweet update, Outlaw.

Postby Faust777 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:49 pm

thatas Amazizing!!! You got some Skitilz!

gREAT wOrK dOoD!!!
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, sit back, relax, and let the world wonder how the fuck you did it.
My art thread~
Nabichan: Seriously, you are the epitome of all that is awesome in the world
Dinosaurpirate: Well yeah, could anyone so weird be anything BUT an artist?
Vegedus: Theres only rape is theres a tentacle monster
Mcdurg:@Faust: Win.
Fenrisulfrhell, even if i broke one of my arms, i still have the other one, two legs, an elbow, a head, two knees, my hips, and my feet to beat their ass
Prinny Captain

Postby New Era Outlaw » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:29 am

Rampage gets a makeoveeeeer!!

I remembered that a while back, I posted some preliminary artwork that proposed some designs for the Acolyte line-up. Some responses were good, while others were abysmally bad. Rampage, more or less, received a lukewarm response in that regard.

First of all, he didn't look at ALL like he deserved that title.
His initial design resembled a warrior knight of sorts....and it was beyond BOOOORING. So, I went back to the drawing board and put all art of him on hiatus until I could figure out a proper angle for him. Part of it involved observing my brother, who this character is based on.

Inspiration struck when I remembered that he was a Kimba the White Lion fan. So, I took a new direction with Rampage. He would retain the super-strength and earth shaking abilities of his former self, but, is now capable of shifting to a savage beast resembling a white lion. This form is much swifter, has heightened senses and razor sharp claws, but the downside of this form is that this form is completely feral, and would attack and move indiscriminately. I kept the giant sword, because it was the one thing about his costume that people liked.

Enjoy, folks.

Postby Noir » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:29 am

Your inking style always amazes me. Very nice concept too. Thank you for posting this, it's really wonderful.

Location: Wait, wait, don't tell me . . . I KNOW I know the answer to this one . . .

Postby New Era Outlaw » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:55 am

LORD, have mercy. 3 days. 3 DAYS.
Who would ever have thought this picture would have taken so long to finish, eh? Certainly not me....I was actually planning to finish this on the same day I drew it.

So, about this picture.

I wanted to test myself to see how well I could render heavily detailed backgrounds, so I undertook this exercise.
I also wanted to top the success that my other drawing "Follow Your Dreams" had, so I created this as a companion piece to it...more or less. So, that involved some serious brainstorming and a whole lot more attention to detail.

I wanted to appeal to Kimi's Japanese roots, so I delved into a more Pan-Asian backdrop....complete with pagoda-like structures, Japanese lanterns, and a nod to 'Grave of the Fireflies'. Originally, I wanted to make this a nighttime scene, but I figured that I've got to try something new this time around, so I made it a sunset scene instead.
I was rather surprised at how well it turned out.

Some interesting tidbits about this picture:

- There were actually three buildings in the background. One was removed from the final cut for two reasons. One, I had already spend a good couple of days rendering the pagodas, and I certainly wasn't in the mood to continue on that. And Two, it looked BUTT UGLY. The proportions were a mess, and made the composition look awkward.

- Also, the second building in the background also had a window on the side. Removed for looking too crooked and bent out of shape.

- Though not entirely intentional, the design of the pagodas in the background is supposed to resemble the helmet of a samurai...somewhat. It just came out that way and I thought it'd be a good story.

- Kimi's dress was originally green, but changed to red because it's a more exotic colour.

And now, a playlist of the songs that saw me through this, from beginning to end:

- "Jazz Maniac" by Michael Sembello (this actually inspired me to start this one. I suggest you download it from his website, and give it a listen.)

- "Human Nature" by Michael Jackson
- "Liu Kang's Tomb" by Dan Forden, Mortal Kombat Deception.
- "Voices in the Dark (Erotic Dreams)" by Enigma and Deep Forest.
- "Diary of Jane" by Breaking Benjamins
- "Addicted" by Kelly Clarkson

Also, I figured that I needed to show the AGU fans some appreciation for all of the support over the years (and because I've nearly hit 10,000 pageviews on my DA account), so I jumped the gun and did this. Somewhat ironically, I also did this because at the time, I had SEVERE artist's block. Let's just say that whenever I have troubles like that, Kimi always seems to help me out, in someway or the other. She's like, my personal avatar against artist's block. Or something.

Strangely enough, though, somebody commented that the setting looked more Chinese than Japanese....I'm somewhat inclined to agree. I'm guessing it's the red that's giving off that impression.

So, please enjoy my humble offerings.

Postby New Era Outlaw » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:02 pm

A little something to whet your appetites, while I try to think of something that'll really blow you away...

Postby DarkCrystal65 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 am

Nice I like the streak with the sword. Good thinking about leaving it blank since I'd probably make the mistake of drawing the end in hehe.

My Art Thread

Postby ROCKWELL » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:49 am

this art gives me some ideas.
Rockwells arts n comics
"Lord Soth"--It's just so bland without you here. Spam forum without Rockwell is not win.
"krimson-Death"--...Ur probably one of the best artists ive seen on snafu...
"ZoulArt"-- I've read your comics and your a super mega awsome comic artist...Your getting better and better at what you do so keep it up!
"teran4ever"--No one cares if you are a skilled artist, you are a total douche.
"Brax4"--Rockwell, seriously, your comics rock, probably one of my favorite artists on the site...
"EagleMan"--Congratulations rockwell. You have become a legend to these people...
"whispersoul"--Woah, Rockwell. Awesome works. It's been a while since I've seen your arts. and I'm glad that your talents are still the shit.
"Boymonkey130"--Rockwell....Your crap flies forth at mach speed. It destroys all in its path, and... then catches fire, obliterating those who oppose you. I WORSHIP your crap.

Postby New Era Outlaw » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:27 pm

Another day, another character.
These days, I find myself constantly trying to improve myself.
This character, Cardinal Red, was created quote some time ago, but his character proved somewhat difficult to draw at times. The key to drawing him successfully is to study his crown/cowl thingy VERY carefully. Despite the fact that he doesn't have a recognisable face to work with, the cowl should reflect his personality...that of a shrewd schemer that likes to manipulate people, and laugh at their misfortune.

But, enough about that.
Here's a bio for this character:

Cardinal Red, or the person he really is, would best be described as "an enigma wrapped in mystery, with a few screws loose somewhere."
Not one person knows what Cardinal Red looks like beneath the robes and cowl he always wears, be it when he delivers his 'sermons' or even when they catch a glimpse of him taking a walk. Some even speculate that he mightn't even be -human-.

What is known about him is that he is the somewhat eccentric, yet charismatic leader of a group he deems 'The Red Syndicate'. His followers follow him with the utmost and unquestionable loyalty, spreading the words of a 'superior race' that mankind is either destined to become or serve, depending of what path in life they choose. Many who have observed Cardinal Red's congregation would often spin tales and horrid urban legends of mind control from the fervour these minions perform their duties. Even worse yet are rumours of those who have vanished under Cardinal Red's watch- many speculate that they have been 'conveniently disposed of'. It is unknown if any of these are true.

Cardinal Red is of the firm belief that everyone is destined to serve 'the higher masters' (whoever they may be) and views non-believers with the utmost scorn (and yet, some degree of fascination in a few cases). In reality, he believes that human potential is absurdly low, and, it is believed that several of his followers are engaged in genetic experiments conducted by Red himself to 'evolve' that potential. Despite his religious appearance, Cardinal Red is a very keen scientific mind, and would put all his efforts into his experiments, be they ethical or not, all as long as it is 'for the greater good'.

It is because of this and so much more that he often comes into conflict with the Acolytes, often regarding them as 'a bunch of sac religious nuisances'. He especially feels bitter towards the team when he discovers that one of them was a former test subject of his many years ago.

Cardinal Red's own abilities encompass four spider-like legs protruding from his back. He takes delight in stabbing unbelievers right through their hearts with the sharp blades. On top of that, he can also gain tactical advantage by using the legs to hoist him higher than his grounded opponents, and even propel him high into the air should he need to escape. His fingers appear like metallic, razor sharp claws similar in design to his spider leg blades. It is also very possible that he also possesses mind control abilities as well, given the state of his followers and the relentlessness at which they pursue his orders.

Personality-wise, Cardinal Red would best be described as an eccentric heckler who's a bit of a coward. From a distance, Cardinal Red would readily belittle those who oppose him, and would even swat them away as mere nuisances that aren't worth his time. However, do so much as corner him and he would sooner try to flee or even beg for his life. This isn't to say, however, that he is incapable of holding his own- he can put up a decent fight, if he sees fit to do so. He also relishes his experiments in the same way a typical mad scientist would- with extreme pride and arrogance that they are brilliant. Curiously enough, when addressing followers or others that he finds 'intriguing', however, he speaks rather eloquently and intellectually, almost as if he was on good terms with them.

Postby DarkCrystal65 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:14 am

awesome!!! The outfit looks great and I like the claws. still I don't think that helmets fits the whole outfit. :/

My Art Thread

PreviousNext

Return to Art