Endling F.A.Q.

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Endling F.A.Q.

Postby Endling » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:40 pm

Figured I'd nip this little issue in the bud.. might save me some time answering notes/e-mails. :)

Birthday: December 17th
Place of birth: Brooklyn, NY
Favorite -
Color: Gray.
Food: Anything spicy or grilled.
Pet: Cat.
Book: Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett. Pretty much anything by Pratchett.
Music: Big booming epic orchestra like in movie soundtracks or a la Advent Children. And classic rock.
Undergarments: Boxers!
Movie: I don't have one.
How did you learn to draw?

I started by drawing video game characters when they had illustrated pictures in video game manuals. I moved on to emulating Saturday morning cartoons, then got into manga around seventh grade with Ranma 1/2 by Rumiko Takahashi. I never took a drawing course until college, at University of the Arts, PA.

Do you have any tips? How do you grayscale? How do you draw?

I never have answers for this. I don't know what constitutes as a 'tip' for something I don't consider myself a leading authority on. Also, I don't believe any amount of text will ever steer you in the right direction so much as just putting pencil (or whatever your chosen medium is) to paper. And doing it many, many, many, many times.

Are you taking commissions?

If I was it'd be on my Deviantart page. Presently, no, I'm not.

Can you review my (art, fanfiction, plotline, concept, etc.)?

I really can't. Nothing personal.

Where did the idea for Everafter come from?

A school project a few years ago. We had to design a series of stamps based on one central theme. I picked fairytale villains. Originally the stamps had 'aftermath' pictures of the Big Bad Wolf, The Witch, and Rumplestiltskin. I started doodling generic big eyed children that they were terrorizing all around the margins. I thought the big eyed kids were cute and even creepier than the villains, so I started designing the protagonists into the stamps. Eventually it became all about them, and what happened to them after the story had finished. Then I decided it'd be appropriate for all this info to be on some sort of asylum log sheet. The rest just kind of blew up from there.

What series do you draw and where can I find them on the internet?

The only sites I have right now are endling.deviantart.com and ea.snafu-comics.com. You will find Everafter updated every Saturday (provided it is not during a hiatus period) at Snafu, and at Deviantart a little later, because I usually paste two pages together to release them there.
My other series are: Living in Sin, Endrealm, Tarna, The Calling Grounds, and City of Jaoh. None of them are currently available for viewing, aside from occasional bits of art from Living in Sin and Endrealm at my Deviantart gallery.
These are all in various states of production, but I don't see any going public for a good while, at least until Everafter is chugging along at a steady clip.

What series is ______ from?

Everafter - Little Red, Hansel + Gretel, Tom (Thumb), Jack, Miss Muffet, Chairman Dumpty, Dr. Crooked, Rosie, Posie, Big Bad, Sprat, Iggy Piggie, Goldilocks.

Living in Sin - Seth, Jacob, Envy, Lust, Gluttony, Avarice (Greed), Sloth, Wrath, Pride, Ms. Gregory.

Endrealm - Chirrel, Wretch, Flea, Edda, Lili, J, Lou, Spew, Lorn, Sariel.

Tarna - Rain, Dias.

The Calling Grounds - Cowen, Kalen, Ru, Kris, Nicha, Mina.

All characters w/o a story: Ethel, Silas, Clockwork Bunny, Evan & Mel.

What is S13?

S13 is shorthand for Seven13, a role playing game engine I did the interior artwork for. This is their site: [url]brokendollstudios.com[/url]

What kind of music do you like?

It depends on what I'm making. I listen to a lot of orchestra. Film scores, game music, 80's rock is my guilty pleasure. Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, The Beatles.. I like pretty much anything aside from rap and country. Though I don't include Gorillaz as a rap group, I very much enjoy those guys.
Matter of fact most of my creations tend to have theme music attached to them because of what I was listening to when creating them.

Overture by Hanzel Und Gretyl and Counting Bodies Like Sheep by A Perfect Circle inspired Everafter, the former of which would be a fantastic intro theme. Battle of the Heroes from Star Wars III would also be fitting.
I don't know the name of the song, but the intro theme music to Max Payne 2 is the perfect Little Red theme. (When she's not berserk.)
Bottle Rocket by The Go Team and SupaSaturation by Dizzy X is a big influence on Living in Sin.

Do you have any tutorials?

No, and I don't know if I'll ever get to making one. There are a ton of great ones on Deviantart, I learned a lot from each, I'd suggest looking some up. Not hard to find.

Are you and Bleedman friends? Is Everafter based on his drawings of Little Red Riding Hood and Miss Muffet?

Er. We've spoken all of once or twice, and that was through notes on DA. So no, not really. And no, those drawings of his were fanarts of Everafter, which I created myself, thankew.

Who is your favorite character to draw? Least favorite?
Lately? Probably Rosie and Posie. I love their triangle shape, big 'ol heads and sloping shoulders with giant arms. Heh. Tom Thumb is a lot of fun to stretch and shape and angle. And Iggy is fun because he's simple. And I can play with his expressions a lot more than I can with the others. (Red is a fussbucket so there's not much range to her, hah.)
Least favorite.. uh. Mr. Boots is difficult to get to look right. And Gretel has an ungodly amount of detailing in her dress, making her a pain.

I'll add more as I recall them. :)
Last edited by Endling on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Endling F.A.Q.

Postby Mango » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:56 pm

gah i got both of the songs you pointed out as good potential intros and then you chuck another one at me! and that doesnt sound like a game song so dunno where to find it x_x

(by the way, communication breakdown is really cool, especially with the pause near the end where it sounds sorta like a music box. and kakumei is rockin.)

I'm suprised to find out that you snafu peoples don't communicate more o.O even if just over the interweb~

I tried to look for the calling grounds RSoM volume but my local bookstore didnt have it T_T

Postby Lingrem » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:28 pm

Oh oh... an FAQ!! Questions for it... what is your favourite colour? What is your favourite animal? Oh you forget all those simple basic things Shaun!

Postby Dusk_Imp » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:50 pm

Not to bug or anything but I wish to know these answers:

Which character do you enjoy drawing the most and which character do you hate drawing?

I guess you like horror movies. Which is your fav?

And the age-old question...BOXERS, BRIEFS, BOXER-BRIEFS, OR NOTHING?
By reading this you promise your soul and first child to me. All babies not ripe and plump are subjected to burnation under the trogdor act of 2003.
The problem is that God gave man a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time.

"PPGD Fan"-And Dusk_imp, you too are a riot lol
"Blood Knight"-Dusk_Imp, thanks for making this thread, it's so fun.
:up: :up: :down: :down: :left: :right: :left: :right: B A Select Start

Postby Endling » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:31 pm

New questions answered. :o

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:50 pm

Nice addittion..

Postby InDenialAboutEverything » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:03 am

In advance, happy 25th, dude.

That would make you a.....Sagittarius, I believe. You and I would make a good match.

Kidding. No more creepy stalker behavior, promise.

Postby Dusk_Imp » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:19 pm

Yah he's a sag. I know cuz I am and his b-day is a day before mine.
By reading this you promise your soul and first child to me. All babies not ripe and plump are subjected to burnation under the trogdor act of 2003.
The problem is that God gave man a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time.

Postby Endling » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:59 am

InDenialAboutEverything wrote:In advance, happy 25th, dude.

That would make you a.....Sagittarius, I believe. You and I would make a good match.

Kidding. No more creepy stalker behavior, promise.

You're a dude, aren't you.

That's like.. the third dude online that has said that in the past week. Bawwwwgh. lol

Postby CarrionMan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:04 pm

Endling, I'm pretty sure everyone in the forums wants to rape you. Yourself included.

Postby Glahardt » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:02 pm

*Gasps*
You dare?

Postby InDenialAboutEverything » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:35 pm

A dude? As in, a guy? My lack of dick says otherwise, baby.

Postby Dave » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:26 am

Hmmm would you like about the author section on Snafu Endling? I'd gladly make one for you.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby CarrionMan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:35 am

CarrionMan wrote:Endling, I'm pretty sure everyone in the forums wants to rape you. Yourself included.

Dave, do you agree with this statement?

Postby Mr. Mono » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:01 am

Theres an authors section?

Postby Endling » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:21 pm

Dave wrote:Hmmm would you like about the author section on Snafu Endling? I'd gladly make one for you.

Huh. That could be interesting, I suppose. I think having one of those for all the (active) authors could be cool, for people who wanna know more about us. God only knows why.

Postby spazmonkey » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:32 pm

Identity theft here I come :D...plan for abnormally large credit card bills next month.
this sig is my fanboy badge of HONOR!!!1!
Kamisutra wrote:You're watching the anime with blatant lack of effort

Postby Dusk_Imp » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:06 pm

Yo Endling...is it just me or is Mr. Boots' boots made of metal? And does Red have an arsenal of saws that she hides in the asylum?

Postby Endling » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:09 pm

spazmonkey wrote:Identity theft here I come :D...plan for abnormally large credit card bills next month.

Yah 'cause you know it's standard procedure to list my social security, debit card number and PIN in an About the Author section. XD

Besides you really don't want my identity. I mean. There's gotta be what, five dollars in my bank account? Go look up Dave, I'm sure he's rich off all that pimp money and cocaine.

Dusk_Imp wrote:Yo Endling...is it just me or is Mr. Boots' boots made of metal? And does Red have an arsenal of saws that she hides in the asylum?

Yus to first question. No to second, more bizarre question. There is one saw. Hard enough lugging one of those things around.

Postby Dusk_Imp » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:34 pm

F.Y.I.:I'll probably be asking a lot of questions regarding your characters so if I get boring I appologize.

Rosie and Posie...WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU ON WHEN YOU MADE THOSE TWO??? (I mean that in a good way) I love their design. What inspired their design? And Jack (awsome kick ass Jack not the scary anerexic Jack that gives me the creeps and was in 2 of my nightmares *shudders*) did he turn the magic harp into a sword? Or is it just modeled after the harp?

Ok I'm done for now. Sorry if I'm a bother. Gonna go and feed my eels now. Have a nice day.

Postby Faust777 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:37 pm

Endling, i love to draw. very fun...im writing a manga too. its not that great but do you have any tips on anatomy or screen shots for a comic?

Added after 15 minutes:

By and By....where does all ur money go? Funny joke about dave, by the way...LOL.
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, sit back, relax, and let the world wonder how the fuck you did it.
My art thread~
Nabichan: Seriously, you are the epitome of all that is awesome in the world
Dinosaurpirate: Well yeah, could anyone so weird be anything BUT an artist?
Vegedus: Theres only rape is theres a tentacle monster
Mcdurg:@Faust: Win.
Fenrisulfrhell, even if i broke one of my arms, i still have the other one, two legs, an elbow, a head, two knees, my hips, and my feet to beat their ass
Prinny Captain

Postby Mango » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:41 pm

Faust777 wrote:Endling, i love to draw. very fun...im writing a manga too. its not that great but do you have any tips on anatomy or screen shots for a comic?

Added after 15 minutes:

By and By....where does all ur money go? Funny joke about dave, by the way...LOL.

endling adressed the tip thing in the faq D: you should read it~
and if you're planning on being an actual mangaka someday, I wouldnt suggest it except as a side thing >.> starving artist issues, y'know

Postby Faust777 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:31 pm

Ok.........lol
When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, sit back, relax, and let the world wonder how the fuck you did it.
My art thread~
Nabichan: Seriously, you are the epitome of all that is awesome in the world
Dinosaurpirate: Well yeah, could anyone so weird be anything BUT an artist?
Vegedus: Theres only rape is theres a tentacle monster
Mcdurg:@Faust: Win.
Fenrisulfrhell, even if i broke one of my arms, i still have the other one, two legs, an elbow, a head, two knees, my hips, and my feet to beat their ass
Prinny Captain

Postby Mr. Mono » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:54 pm

Im gonna do a global version of Dusk_Imp´s question:
What inspired the design of each of both the EA, LiS, and Endrealm cast(or what are they based on)?

If you cant think of anything for a certain character it doesnt matter, just say "a wizard did it" and that´ll be enough.

Postby Aneri » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:31 pm

When drawing a character, what part is typically the first thing you draw?

Like...all my pictures start by me drawing the eyes of a character. I was wondering if there was something you start out with?
"I'm all out. What do ya got?" "A utility belt full of crap and a positive outlook?"

Next

Return to EverAfter