"The Lady, or the Tiger?"

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

"The Lady, or the Tiger?"

Postby Garlick » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:49 pm

Yo. We read "The Lady, or the Tiger?" in History a few days ago and had to write what we thought came out of the door over the weekend. This is my writeing, I thought I might share it with anyone who cared. I'm not normally the best author so if it sucks, I'm sorry, but I thought it turned out pretty well.
The original story can be found here. ( http://www139.pair.com/read/Frank_R_Stockton/The_Lady_or_the_Tiger/The_Lady_or_the_Tiger_p1.html ) If you havn't read it, don't bother reading this post. You won't understand it. I strongly suggest you do read "The Lady, or the Tiger?", though, it's a wonderful story.

Ahem. Well, here it is.

Without the slightest hesitation, he went to the door on the right, and opened it.
The tiger made a magnificent leap out of the darkness and pinned the young lover to the ground. His terrified cries filled the arena as the people of the land watched in horror. The tiger, ravenous and wild, took ahold of this man’s neck in his mighty jaws. In his last moments on this earth the handsome boy gave a horrified glance to the woman he had loved, who sat contented next to the semi-barbaric king. The tiger hesitated no longer and tore the youth’s head from his neck.
The princess watched, motionless, as the tiger began to feast on it’s prey. The detached head of the one she had loved unblinkingly stared through her. She could not stand to watch, but her eyes were fixed on this frightening scene.
As she watched, she realized she had made a horrible mistake. She knew now she had committed the worst crime of all. She had murdered the person she cared for most in the world. The king’s daughter knew now she would have much rather seen her lover be married to that lovely young maiden behind the left door who was probably still preparing herself to walk out and meet her new husband, oblivious he was being torn to shreds by the radiant animal.
She screamed in anguish at her disastrous folly and the hundreds of eyes watching the feast turned to the young woman with her dainty hands covering her face. She was overwhelmed with thoughts and emotions, of the yelling of her own conscience echoing in her mind. She ran from the arena, plowing through the worried beings that surrounded her. The people stared after her as the tiger finished his meal.
They found her a few days later. Her dismembered body was found in a tiger’s cage, the dark red blood contrasting with what was left of her fair skin. The tiger himself looked quite content and full, for it was the same one that had eaten the young lover only days before. The beautiful maiden was not able to face her sorrows and allowed the beast to abduct her very life.
This tiger was killed soon afterwards by orders of the king. Everyday after this frightening event he pondered his ways, his disgusting trail, but never was so overcome by guilt that he changed his technique of justice. He visited a grave frequently, however, and apologized profusely for his mistakes. The grave was magnificent and white, it was engraved with bold lettering, “Under this soil lies the bodies of a princess, and a tiger."

Tah dah.

I am open to comments and suggestions, or this topic can be used for discussing the actual story, whatever you please.

Cheers.
DU JOUR MEANS FRIENDSHIP

Postby Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:23 pm

Its definitely the tiger cuz the woman luved him to much to be taken by another bich. Yea he dies but its better than being sad for the rest of her life having to see some bich go out wit her guy.

Postby BobSagat » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:53 pm

Did your teacher tell you about the psychological meaning of the story?

Either way, I liked it. Simple, descriptive and meaningful in it's own way.

I said the Princess pointed to the Lady.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Re: "The Lady, or the Tiger?"

Postby Cadaverous » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:47 pm

me too

Postby Darkness_calls » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:51 pm

I agree with the other guys. Really good

Re: "The Lady, or the Tiger?"

Postby Garlick » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:26 pm

Thanks!

And no, Bob, he didn't tell us the psychological meaning. He's not really like that...
DU JOUR MEANS FRIENDSHIP

Return to Literature