The Writer's Lounge

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Writer's Lounge

Postby Tuor » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:37 pm

I didn't even think that was possible
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:49 pm

It's so slow today, not just here, but my entire day.
I was so bored, that I started to randomly imagine a bunch of different things.
They went from my little Minecraft story, to another project I was recently consulted on, a couple randomness from the comics, and I made a thought of another good short for my more original story.
I imagined hamsters learning how to ride unicycles and parading through Manhattan, the possibility of someone dropping a motorcycle from a helicopter in front of me, and I counted using a number system based off of 12.
I'm somehow still extremely bored, yet I'm amused on how bored I am.

I think I need more sleep @.@
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks

Postby Tuor » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:03 pm

You had plenty of thoughts, shoulda wrote something down!
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:24 am

If I write ll the random stuff I imagine daily, I'd need another notebook every month or so :p
Rocks

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:29 pm

I actually need to stop doing that and focus on what I have now.

New ideas, another outline, another draft written... and then it repeats itself.

I feel so ADD lately.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Good heck. I think I'm doing more research on making sure I have things in my stories correct than I do with term papers in college.

I'm halfway through a book on a ex-FBI interrogator, just trying to gather information on interrogation techniques that's only for the prologue of one book. Then I have tabs opened on arguments of the soul, PTSD, suicidal depression, fantasy airships, how to create a plot from a few ideas, and this.

WHY CAN'T I JUST SIT STILL AND WRITE WITHOUT A FUCK ABOUT THINGS?
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:16 pm

You lack protein :D
Btw, I just got your msg on Skype, so I responded.

Try listening to calming music. It helps me.
Rocks

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:17 pm

Crap. That reminds me, I have to find our little discussion about a soul as well to have that project work out too.
Mercypostle

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:57 am

You guys are interested in the Literature contest as well, no?

I'm having personal problems with it. :unsure:

As I've said in the thread itself, I feel like 1000 words, while soft and easily accessible to voters is not that liberating for the writers. By the time I get all the "Beginning" stuff done, I'm over 500 words in. My story has 13 Paragraphs, an intro and a line of text and is already at 995 words.

I'm beginning to think a full on story won't be small enough to fit everything important. Poems, philosophy tangents, things like that would fit easily, but a full blown story would struggle to work.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:17 am

All part of the risks in writing :3
Rocks

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:30 am

1,000word stories are what you call Short-short stories, something I refused to write at first (Thinking they were blasphemous and stupid for writers) until I was finally persuaded by the person that helps me with my English. I didn't think I could do it until a succeeded again and again.

Point is that what I love that the contest has done and I praise for it is that it's a good challenge towards writers like you Birdofterror who is struggling to tell a story in less than 1,000words. When writing like say the opening of the novel, you want to deal every impact you can for the purposes of a first expression in those short amount of words. Plus it helps with the Show v tell thing, telling the writer only what he needs to know

I've put up short-short story examples in my thread that you can find or if you'd rather not read them from me just look up online and you'll find that short-short stories is something a lot of writers can do.

I'm not trying to smack down your opinion or anything though Birdofterror, just trying to encourage you a bit to accomplish the challenge given.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Tuor » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:33 pm

Ya, it'll be a nice change/challenge you, Birdot. It'll expand your repertoire.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Short stories work for me if I do little fanfics of things that people are familiar with.

I would like to try and get in this contest, but I'm also working on updating five stories.

AN ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE THOUGH.
Mercypostle

Postby Tenshi Nova » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm debating between happy ending or a sad ending.
I'm still not sure what my entry will be, but I have a basic idea of what I want.
Rocks

Postby Birdofterror » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:39 am

Blood Lord wrote:Short stories work for me if I do little fanfics of things that people are familiar with.
..................... That's a good point.

I could make it a fanfiction and completely skip most of the character introductions, but part of me thinks that would probably harm the integrity of the core story. Kinda like if someone was watching the sequel to a movie they didn't see just because it had an actor they liked in it. I have a month to think about this, so I'm in no real rush, but at the same time I do need to think of "something."
Tuor wrote:Ya, it'll be a nice change/challenge you, Birdot. It'll expand your repertoire.
Thanks for that, it certainly is challenging.

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:10 am

Sometimes character information is not that much needed, in fact in can be insignificant towards the story if you portray your characters well. People might not care what the character looks like or his background so long as he generally understands the character because of how you use his dialogue and actions.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Birdofterror » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:35 am

Perhaps. Yet if I have my characters so underwhelming, why even read my story? I mean, there will be other stories based on Halloween within the contest... why would anyone come to me if it was just more Halloweeny stuff?

I feel like characters are required, they don't have to be ocean deep or anything like that... but I can't just snuff their likeness in the name of boiling it down to under 1000 words. This is hard. :?

Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:54 pm

Da plot man. That should carry your story further than the characters.

I'm just happy its 1000. They were trying to get me to agree that 500 to 700 was a good idea.
Mercypostle

Postby Birdofterror » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Blood Lord wrote:They were trying to get me to agree that 500 to 700 was a good idea.
:?
Blood Lord wrote:Da plot man. That should carry your story further than the characters.
Well when half of the plot is already decided for you in the form of "Halloween" you may find it harder to make it really enthralling.

Have you started writing yet?

Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:13 pm

We didn't really think about the word count in the actual amount of words >.>
We assumed it seemed long without actually thinking about it <.<
Blood provided us with insight on the matter >.<
Faces <.>
Rocks

Postby Tuor » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Birdofterror wrote:
Blood Lord wrote:Da plot man. That should carry your story further than the characters.
Well when half of the plot is already decided for you in the form of "Halloween" you may find it harder to make it really enthralling.

It doesn't have to be strictly about Halloween, yo.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Birdofterror wrote::?

inorite?

Birdofterror wrote:Well when half of the plot is already decided for you in the form of "Halloween" you may find it harder to make it really enthralling.

That's just the theme. It's like me telling you its a fantasy contest.

You can do horror, ghost stories, comedy, adventure, etc. You just have to find what works. Like I'm going characterless.

Birdofterror wrote:Have you started writing yet?

Yup. I have a 400 word draft is being read by two of my former pre-readers.
Mercypostle

Postby Birdofterror » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:12 pm

Blood Lord wrote:That's just the theme. It's like me telling you its a fantasy contest.

You can do horror, ghost stories, comedy, adventure, etc. You just have to find what works. Like I'm going characterless.
Ah, I gotcha. I saw Tuor's question and the response to it in the main section, how it doesn't need to be "literally" Halloween as long as it's spooky or something.

You're going in characterless, so that makes me think this is probably a third person kind of story, not focusing on anyone so much as probably focusing on the spirit of Halloween (or something) in itself... which even if I'm wrong 'is' interesting...

But as we all turn to writing we learn things about ourselves and each other. And well, I'm a character guy- and I'm going to find a way past my weakness and make this work! I have a month and an idea, let's see what happens when I smash them both together.

Bird oft Error

Postby Tuor » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:14 pm

The one I'm submitting will also be pretty much characterless. I mean, there are characters, obviously, but it's focussing more on senses, I think. I hope it comes across that way.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:37 pm

Birdofterror wrote:how it doesn't need to be "literally" Halloween as long as it's spooky or something.

Either that, or it could be a story that involves Halloween, and would feel out of place without it.
My entry will be set during Halloween. Best night for creature to roam the streets. :3
Rocks

PreviousNext

Return to Literature