The Writer's Lounge

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Writer's Lounge

Postby Comic Kitten » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:27 am

Oh man I couldn't handle a 2GB for my music... Have you ever considered upgrading??
Hmm

Postby Tuor » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:35 am

Oh man…ya that is pretty small.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Q.U. » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:25 am

Being told by a girl and a ladies man that yours is too small.

Poor Havoc.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:10 am

http://www.scilor.com/grooveshark-downloader.html
If you guys want to download from Grooveshark, I use this. You can log in and import playlists too.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Havoc » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:26 pm

Comic Kitten wrote:Oh man I couldn't handle a 2GB for my music... Have you ever considered upgrading??

It actually comes with a Micro SD-card slot, I think it might be for additional memory . But I've never tried it. Could be a lot cheaper than a whole new MP3 player. I need to save my money for other things.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:50 pm

I think I use to have something like that, a RCA Lyra.

Then I got my 120GB iPod. Have yet to fill it.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Comic Kitten » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:15 am

I love having my iPhone because I can have my music from iTunes, my Pandora app, and Grooveshark on Safari. I have such a wide variety and I still feel like it's never enough!!!

Music is my life :eek:
Hmm

Postby Comic Kitten » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:39 am

ANNOUNCEMENT

I finished my book!!! It's done!!! It ended with 132 pages single-spaced, which is 70,825 words total.

Now on to the exciting stuff... going through the editing process a million times. Yaayyy...
Hmm

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:12 am

Congrats! And more power to you!
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Comic Kitten » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:24 am

Thank you!!!!
Hmm

Postby Millo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:15 pm

Really amazing work CK!

A lot of writers are cursed with never finishing their novels so this is an amazing achievement :)

I'll buy 2 copies once it's published ;D
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Tuor » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:19 pm

Don't forget us when you're rich
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Comic Kitten » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:31 am

You guys are awesome! Thank you!!!

Also, there's not that many authors that get rich... but I'd settle for just getting it published by a well-known company :)
Hmm

Postby Varspool » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:13 am

Oh man you better let me know when it's finally published!
Congrats on finishing it :3
Show me the color of your credits.

Postby Comic Kitten » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:38 pm

That won't be for a couple years... But I'll definitely keep you posted!!! Thank you :)
Hmm

Postby Varspool » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:29 pm

Well yea, I know how much work is going to put in for getting it published, but it'll be worth the wait :D
Show me the color of your credits.

Postby Comic Kitten » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:18 am

Aww that's so sweet!!! Thank you!!!
Hmm

Postby Creppy Eggy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:39 pm

So I'm thinking about doing a chapter-by-chapter story of "Exodis: The Last Savior"
If you're wondering what I'm talking about, check out this and this.
It may take me a while to come up with some new charaters rather than using some from animes and cartoons, need to think and improve the plot, etc.
But, with some help, this may be an amazing story that I hope to complete this year.
A summary of the story.
The story revolves around Exodis, a 20 year old American who is living the last day on Earth with his family as a warship threatens to end the world. The attack came suddenly and no one was prepared for this disaster. Seconds before the world's destruction, a voice tells him to jump so his life may be saved. Thinking he may be hallucinating, he makes a desperate choice to follow these actions or ignore them and face his inevitable demise. As he gives up and jumps, he hears a 'vwoomp!' and the last thing he remembers before going unconscious is a wormhole and the sounds of destruction.
So yeah, that's my summary of the first chapter! Criticize what you like, it'll help me immensely and I hope to get started with the first chapter!
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Hard to really criticize an idea.
Sounds over the top imo, but still, I'll wait and see!
Glhf!
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Awesome Exodis, while criticizing ideas is hard, I've had practice recently.

The first piece is your old fashion Alien invade the Earth and are about to enslave. But you've clenched onto what makes this old fashion thing so successful, the idea of the Hope/Faith theme. Here you have the idea that our time is about to be brought to an end by a much superior force that we have no say against, just like things like Global warming, economic crisis and more smaller things that mean our own end like diseases or threats. However, there's always holding onto that little bit of hope, no matter how impossible or irrational it seems, if you hold onto it, it can give you strength at least. Like have a cure to an incurable disease or having such an job that seems unlikely for you to get. Really this thing can be argued and played with, as this general theme is like the Humanistic Self-image theory which you'll have to look up instead of me getting into a psychological rant.
So overall you're going with a idea that is retro from it's popular days in the 90s era with a theme that has made it wondrous. So so far great job. Though I had you make the aliens something else but technologically or biologically advanced (Or just advanced in general) or have unlimited resources as those are just being overused. You could go with it in a Shonen fashion where they're able to control energy like they do in DBZ or outmaneuver and outwit us due to their warfare experience or they've been able to turn humans against each other by diplomatic cunning and sabotage. Fair enough if you do want to go with the advanced thing as the reason it is used is that again, makes aliens seem unstoppable and hence we seem to have no say in our future, where there are only tiny beads of hope for a hero to raise up.
I've just been hammering away at this anyways because all you've giving us really is a summary. If you want advice about characters though, one thing I find, but not definitive, is if you want your main character to be relatable or a role model. They can be both, but characters tend to lean more towards one of the other. For example, one of the big thing that divides DC and Marvel, is that nearly all of DC's characters are role models and Marvel is nearly all relatable. In your case I think you want to go for the Role model, give him traits we want to look up to and inspire us. Though if you want to make him relatable, give him trait that can be related to general issues and deals with symbolic challenges.

Anyways hope this was helpful and you were able to read all of it.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:28 pm

When it comes to characters, I find making a sheet of do's and don'ts can help.
Make sure you set what your characters will be able to do, and make sure they don't do something they can't. Anything from physical, emotional and mental abilities/limitations.
I find it helps the characters seem more realistic when a reader can see their strengths and weaknesses.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:04 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:When it comes to characters, I find making a sheet of do's and don'ts can help.
Make sure you set what your characters will be able to do, and make sure they don't do something they can't. Anything from physical, emotional and mental abilities/limitations.
I find it helps the characters seem more realistic when a reader can see their strengths and weaknesses.

To put it overall, I think you mean strengths and weakness :D . Sorry if I'm trying to act like a smart ass, but I just felt like discussing this as it's rare we have a good writer's discussion on this board where we're pretending to be writing Gods and that tends to be fun in my opinion, I am an egotistical, arrogant and an obsessed freak.

But strengths are what make us look up to the character, what impresses us and draws us to them, makes them like them in general, this goes for Role model main characters I spoke about who tend to be quite strong. Weaknesses is what makes conflict in the story and are usually symbolic to the everyday issues we're trying to overcome and ends up getting us to feel with them, where there trying to overcome their challenge that we want to overcome as well and is generally what the story revolves around, hence it works well for Relatable main characters.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Yea, my summarizing sentence mentioned strengths and weaknesses :3
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Creppy Eggy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:46 am

Thanks for the advice guys, means a lot!
And, to explain about the enemy, the warship is lead by a ruthless being known as Thanatos, an ancient evil awaken after many centuries of being trapped in oblivion. 2 of the most powerful races of the universe: one known as the Saviors that rest in Earth. When close to death, Thanatos sent himself into a black hole, escaping from his demise to wait for his revenge, to get stronger so that no being can stop his path of destruction and ruling of the universe. As time went by, the Saviors thought he was dead, lost in a dimension or, better yet, left his fate unknown.

The world of Exodis will be based in power, and some-what of technology (yes, like DBZ).
I'll explain more when I write the first chapter, but that's the enemy Exodis will face!

Edit: I feel like dropping this thing... Having difficulty trying to make a good intro, trying to piece together things... holy crap is this thing making me feel depressed... I guess I'm not caught up for writing a story...
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:32 am

Don't quit, man. You'll regret that more than anything, trust me.

Why not create an intro right now, personally edit it as the days go by, and when you're confident enough send it to someone for either editing or to see what they think about it? Who knows? You might perfect it in one shot.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

PreviousNext

Return to Literature