The Writer's Lounge

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Writer's Lounge

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:01 pm

Tuor wrote:
Birdofterror wrote:But if you gotta get the creative juices flowing, try recreating the moments that happen when you suddenly get the urge to write.

So get drunk, gotcha
I'm actually not going to joke, go for it, haha.

Also, Tenshi, that's kind of... touching. I constantly reminisce over my earlier ideas in life and how they morphed or simply vanished from who I am now.

I wonder if I were to just sit back and remember all of the things I've ever created... what will I remember?
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tuor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:02 pm

I'm not either, that's when I've written most of the stuff I've written the past 5 years
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Krest » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:42 am

The Fakku community tends to think the majority of works with the "random" tag were made when the creators were high. Thus, "I want what you're on."

Alcohol and drugs are actually really good for coming up with ideas... x.x

--

The first character I ever imagined was called Lyfin. He was a citizen of Atlantis (the supercontinent not the planet), was involved with its destruction, was reborn when his universe broke from its multiverse and formed its own multiverse, became a god of that new multiverse, and eventually met my second character, Rou...who was one of many heroes in about twenty or so SciFantasy stories across an entire universe. The two ended up teaming up to fight Nonexistence itself - y'know, Primordial Chaos...

Because Mary Sues are awesome.

I never once proclaimed that I was them, though - interesting, right?

Now I have a third character, but... She's not fully developed yet :P So I'm not going to mention her xD Especially, since she's also my online identity 0.0 My main one, not this one...

--

Whenever I need to imagine, I just imagine an invisible sword, turn on some music, and start fighting thin air...until I make enemies, until I become another person, until the entire world reforms and a story is made... That's how I do.
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Birdofterror » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:06 am

The Krest wrote:Whenever I need to imagine, I just imagine an invisible sword, turn on some music, and start fighting thin air...until I make enemies, until I become another person, until the entire world reforms and a story is made... That's how I do.
This is very embarrassing to admit, but I kind of do this, haha.

I make sure to do it in private. :roll:

I remembered one of my oldest stories. It was called "The Beams." Basically, a hyper advanced race of monkey people (Who are basically just humans but taller and with more hair) that vaguely resemble Bigfoot invade the world and enslave the humans.

Kind of like Planet of the Apes but with a shit ton more cyber punk monkeys. It was pretty funny to my 10 year old mind.

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Q.U. » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Birdofterror wrote:
The Krest wrote:Whenever I need to imagine, I just imagine an invisible sword, turn on some music, and start fighting thin air...until I make enemies, until I become another person, until the entire world reforms and a story is made... That's how I do.
This is very embarrassing to admit, but I kind of do this, haha.

Humans are so messed up.

This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Millo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:29 am

I used to day dream a lot as a kid so my day dreams have always been really vivid which is good when you want to write a story. I've been working on this Comic/Story called SUPER-DUPER lately. The thing is that I don't dare put it on paper till I've practiced my Drawing skills to the point where i know i can decently draw it all.
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:20 am

Super DUPER?

Too much duper, not enough super.

Bird oft Error

Postby Millo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:14 pm

No Bit not Super DUPER

It's SUPER-DUPER
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Damn. A couple months ago, I sucked at comma placement. In an online assessment I just took, I got 1 wrong out of 30. I'm so happy. c:
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Havoc » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:05 am

My typing and grammar skills have greatly improved since I joined this website.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:09 am

That is awesome to hear, guys
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Millo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:25 am

I see what you did there,Tuor.
Resident Illustrator

Postby Tuor » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:32 am

Keen eye, Millo.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Guardian » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:00 am

So I'm looking to be writing some more action scenes in the future, but I'm really unsure in how to correctly write them so the story doesn't bog down. I want to make sure I get the details of the action down, but then it feels like I am describing it way too much. So I edit it and then it feels like it becomes too vague.

So I guess what I'm looking for is what is the happy medium for action scenes with description of events, and what elements are needed to make it gripping and wonderful to read?

EDIT: I guess one-on-one would work, but also some suggestions for larger scale combat. Maybe like two or more main characters taking on a larger group.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby Sig Skellington » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:04 am

I think some of the stories in here may give you good examples. I just had a fight scene in my latest update. Whether or not it's what you're looking for, I can't say.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:39 am

Not entirely sure what you're asking for. Help? Tips? Examples?

I mean, my very first fight scene came in my story around chapter 2, since then, I've had at least 2 fight scenes per chapter. Every one of my epilogues end in fire and blood as well. Maybe take a gander if you wish? Or as Sigment said, you can read his recent part. It's not very hard, just don't try to bog it down with fancy words. Fight scenes excel when they are fluid. Keeping track of which character is doing what at what time while never letting up on the action based details until the fight is over. Talking: Optional.

Bird oft Error

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:40 am

Been a while since I gave any art advice, but action and fighting was what I focused on and learned a lot of. One thing to keep in mind is telling the reader only what he wants to know. With things like action and violence, you're more keen on what happens next rather than what that punch was like.

For example, I saw the punch come at me, I couldn't move in time, that it struck across my cheek and tore a gash.

Really that there is just unnessecary information that the reader doesn't care for, just leave it that the he was punched and then saw his one blood on the floorboards as he got up. That there is already telling what happened and the fact blood was spilled, yet he was still able to get back up tells a enough about the sort of damage it did.

Remember you're trying to entertain the reader not see how fancy you can come up with words or tell every detail that happened, boxing commentators would have such an awkward time if this wasn't the case.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Guardian » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:01 am

Birdofterror wrote:Not entirely sure what you're asking for. Help? Tips? Examples?

Help and Tips. Like what a teacher would give - an explanation of basics and things to keep in mind, and perhaps a few example to look at.

I've got a quite a few books in the ways of sci-fi and fantasy, so unless its a specific example that would be benifical, I have examples around me. I just don't know how to build one, and looking at one doesn't help completely. It's like wanting to know how to build a house or a fix a old car so you can do one yourself. You're going to be shown or look at plans, techniques, suggestions, material, maybe a few examples of things people have done which could help. You aren't going be given a built house or a fixed car and told "do something like that."

So while the examples are beneficiary and will be used, I am looking for helps and tips - what are the plans, suggests, and materials required to create action scenes? What can I do to make them gripping and exciting, and what sort of things should I avoid?

You all gave good insights, and I will examine your combat scenes, Sigment, to see if I can gleam something from them.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

Semper Vigilans

Postby Tuor » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:05 am

Also, the talking about the fixing a motor, made me think, that do what you think, and then we can better critique it, BL. So, "SHOW ME YOUR MOVEs"
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Sig Skellington » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:23 am

Putting it as simply as I can imagine, writing in general boils down to balancing simplicity with detail, IMO. This feels especially true of fight scenes.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Guardian » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:29 pm

Tuor wrote:Also, the talking about the fixing a motor, made me think, that do what you think, and then we can better critique it, BL. So, "SHOW ME YOUR MOVEs"

Hmm. I like this idea, and shall get to it.

Semper Vigilans

Postby ULTRADJWEEN » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:53 pm

Well, I'm new to the forum side of this site and I hope to write a fic for people to enjoy! I like writing stories so people can enjoy and have fun reading. This is also like training for me when I start a career out of doing series.
Just Rockin

Postby Birdofterror » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:04 pm

Yeah, I've been seeing you post a lot. I would recommend you giving yourself an avatar, it makes it a lot easier for people to personalize you and recognize you at a glance.

Bird oft Error

Postby Hallow Nova » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:16 pm

This is from the guy with an arrow. c:
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:08 pm

There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Without me, my arrow is useless. Without my arrow, I am useless.

Bird oft Error

PreviousNext

Return to Literature