The Writer's Lounge

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Writer's Lounge

Postby Krest » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:00 pm

Let's see... I partly agree and partly disagree with Blood Lord.

Art and Writing definitely are sort-of on "opposite ends" of the brain in terms of function, and it's actually a natural thing for people to be able to do one better than the other, even if they've become experts in both. I, for one, can write an entire story with next to no errors in a period of seven hours. That is, if I actually have the patience and dedication to do it...which I normally don't lol Many people that are naturally better in art can draw a page in ten minutes while taking five months to finish a story. For someone like me, I could finish a drawing...well, never lol but I can definitely do as I stated above with the seven hours. That's nothing for a full-fledged story with chapters and everything.

As for the idea that art is less liberal, that's completely bogus. Both art and writing can be incredibly conservative and liberal. And just because you choose a liberal form of art, that doesn't mean it's easier. Bleedman's art is VERY liberal, and it's NOT easy to copy. The same goes for the literary genre called magical realism (like in the book One Hundred Years of Solitude). On the other hand, anime can be seen as conservative, and its styles are relatively "easy" to master, sort of like the Romance genre of literature (which uses the same design for every single book in the genre, so it's definitely conservative in nature).

The difficulty of art and writing depends on the individual. Whichever one you're better at, you'll be able to tell easily - well, most people will. That doesn't mean you can't master and get faster at the other side, but you might want to focus on what you're good at FIRST.
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:43 pm

A lot of interesting discussion, and a lot to think about. I like your input on anime style, Krest.

Blood Lord, do you draw on paper or on the computer?
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Paper. I really, really, REALLY want to do computer though. But alas, tis expensive.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Krest » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:44 am

Expensive...you mean the piece if equipment you draw on and it posts it on the comp? That's only, like, $100.

Postby Havoc » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:59 am

This is a really interesting conversation. I know about paper scanners, but I never really looked into what you're talking about.
I've tried drawing too, but I never really got into it. I was pretty decent at landscapes and backgrounds, but I was never really any good at characters/people.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Krest » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:18 am

Havoc wrote:This is a really interesting conversation. I know about paper scanners, but I never really looked into what you're talking about.
I've tried drawing too, but I never really got into it. I was pretty decent at landscapes and backgrounds, but I was never really any good at characters/people.

Perhaps you should bank on that, then? You'd be surprised how many comics/webcomics use different artists for background and characters.

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:02 am

Krest wrote:Expensive...you mean the piece if equipment you draw on and it posts it on the comp? That's only, like, $100.

Only if you want shitty equipment that fails all the time. I know, I looked into it a few times to see what I could get away with. No the set up I want to get would run me close to 2 grand. There is this really nice wacom tablet I want that has a screen right on it and I want to legally obtain Photoshop.

I think Bleed even uses a similar tablet, but I can't remember the picture very well.

I would love to get that set up going and turn a few of my stories into comics.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:04 am

Not to mention doodles. :3
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:42 pm

That too.

I know some guys that use paper and their computer for drawing. The paper would have the rough sketch or the main outline on it and its scanned into the computer, then they would just add detail with the computer and finish it up.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:46 pm

I thought that was the way people usually did it.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Some just go straight to the computer and construct everything there. It's another preference thing, I think.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:14 pm

Ya, there's lots of different degrees of tech usage. My friend who mentioned before draws and inks and everything on paper, then scans it and his gf colours it on the computer
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:41 am

Hey-ho, just wanted to add to the art v writing stuff, because I'm both a Writer and artist as well and I know what you mean Birdofterror. I gave up drawing at 11, then went into writing. I abandoned art because I was never satisfied with it and right now I regret the 10yrs I left drawing and have been everyday since. I only draw not to stop hitting myself about it.

For me it's hard to do both (Some of the blame goes towards my Autism. It's said we can't multitask and I believe that), because both are very demanding in practice. I've finished one project of art per day for the last 3yrs, so that's over 1,095projects completed and I haven't become satisfied in my skills yet. To also note, for me, traditionally (I'm more digital artist), it only takes me 20-30minutes to finish a page in the Story of Mizuka, but it's said that the artist of Naruto, it takes him 3-4hours! to finish just one page. He does ink them in, but heck, he's still a traditional artist that takes 4hrs (His body must be dead after finishing an issue). While to digitally go over it, it takes me 1-2hours. My art keeps taking longer and longer to finish however ever since I started putting more detail into it or in other words improving.

Also not sure what to say about Bleendman's view. I go onto a flaming manga forum, where I haven't invited anyone there because it's one heck of a flaming forum, like I mean ouch, you feel like you're running around with fire in your hands. The biggest reason for this is a divide between the people who want to become professional manga artists and those who want to keep doing it as a hobby. (The hobbyist feel the professionals give them a hard time by pressuring them to become professional and the professional artists feel the hobbyists are disgraceful for not putting more effort into their work, it's sad really). The second biggest reason is the several camps we have divided by learning methods and styles.
Right now there's one member challenging the forum or trying to change how the dominant veteran camp's belief that there is only a single way on how to learn to draw. Seriously the veteran camp either tries to integrate you to their method or they give you the cold shoulder until you leave the forum, real nasty stuff I have to say.
Even though it's a nasty world there, I'm with the camp who wants to make it a more positive and friendly environment, it's a small camp though among the big nastys (Not that we hate each other, we just don't get on!).

But my point is that even in that art has different approaches, just like you have several sociological/psychology approaches. I'm sure everyone here knows Mark Crilley, whose right now the number 1 artist guru. Even though he's bowed down to by millions, you'll find that some artists condemn him, feeling he overshadows much better art gurus online. Could be well true and it's just that Mark Crilley's smarter. Where most art teachers only demonstrate one style with their art, Mark Crilley demonstrates over 50+ styles, this is smart because it's like saying he's teaching you to be able to do one style you choose rather than make you feel you have to learn the one style that's often style.

...Forgotten my point now. Anyways, the two do have a very different way of storytelling that makes it difficult to jump in between. One of the biggest, probably, is perspectives. Writers have such a consideration of perspectives, 3rd person, 1st person and... forgotten the other one, but makes an enormous difference on which one they choose, while comicbook/manga artists only have to worry about 3rd person really. Writers can get very deep into their characters, having them explain what they're going through or how they feel, while a comicbook/manga artists have the thought bubble, it isn't as effective and can become more annoying than useful if you have it across the whole flipping story. Hence the story can be told quite differently, mostly commonly by the fact that that artists work are visual, where they're adapted to using action, facial expressions and perspectives (Perspectives are really important in a comic/manga... real ought to work on that) to tell the story, while the artist is adapted to using words choices and the right amount of description. Even dialogue can change by quite a margin between the two.

I'd get into my views more, but I'm sure my post is just as big as everyone elses here by now... And I am not compensating for something, everyone knows the guy with da biggest post definitely doesn't need to.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Krest » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:51 am

One piece per day? Nice! Not bad at all! You're actually very fast, keep it up! ^^

The third type is Second Person. Third uses he/she/it when referring to the main character(s), first person uses "I", and second person uses "You". Very few works use the second person - I know a great example is You by Charles Benoit.

Postby Tuor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:08 am

I've been thinking of trying to force myself to write more during winter break
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Krest » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:59 am

Hmmm, as long as it doesn't interfere with the holiday season 0.0

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to finish my story before the holidays are over xD

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Bah, you shouldn't give yourselves time limits. Writing under pressure produces shoddy work. Or at least shoddier than it could be otherwise. So long as your heart is in it, you shouldn't force things.

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tuor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:27 pm

I don't usually, but I just feel like I should try to write more. I dunno
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Go for it.

It helps me when I'm stuck on something or not sure what to do on it. I just sit down and write what comes to my mind, or give myself some topic to write. It has helped me get my imagination flowing, but also focus my efforts.

Its just when ever I'm "in the mood" to write, I can't sit still and do it. So I have to force myself to do it.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Blood Lord wrote:Its just when ever I'm "in the mood" to write, I can't sit still and do it. So I have to force myself to do it.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:22 pm

When I'm "in the mood to write" is the only time I will write, and I just do it
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Krest » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:42 pm

Yeah man, I know what you mean...

Procrastination helps me get stuff done, but it makes my work look like crap.

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:41 pm

The art of successful procrastination usually ends up looking like you're not doing work at all. ;)

But if you gotta get the creative juices flowing, try recreating the moments that happen when you suddenly get the urge to write. I remember back when I was about 13, whenever (And I brought this up once already) a really cool breeze came through, I could think of nothing but the breeze. But then I thought about my thinking, I thought about why the breeze made me think that, then I started thinking deeper and deeper. Before I knew it, three hours later, that one breeze spawned a mental chain reaction that formed into one of my much earlier stories. Scrapped of course, because it was horrible, but I was proud of it for what it was.

To this day, when I need the juices flowing, I go for walks, usually along a set path outside in a circle around the neighborhood. The metronomic rhythm of walking mixed with a completely blank mind open to all creative inspiration... and a shit ton of fresh air. It works just about every single time for me. Another very easy and effective thing is to just be alone and listen to music for a while and think; Immersing yourself in your own ideas. I hope any of this can be of help to any of y'all.

Bird oft Error

Postby Hallow Nova » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:46 pm

When I was about 8 I always imagined a humanoid, blue head to toe.
Slowly it gained powers as I got older. I never named it, just imagined it.
Around when I was 12 I made a story about the nameless thin in my head.
Eventually, I thought it was too over powered and alone.
Then I made my first world.
Since, I've erased and remodeled it twice.
Now, it's a huge beautiful mess that only I can make sense of, and barely explain to others.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Birdofterror wrote:But if you gotta get the creative juices flowing, try recreating the moments that happen when you suddenly get the urge to write.

So get drunk, gotcha
Rest Easy Ethan

PreviousNext

Return to Literature