The Writer's Lounge

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Writer's Lounge

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:48 pm

There was a Poetry Pub?
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:48 pm

Once upon a time, yes.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Is there a way I can find it?
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:01 pm

Course, although you'll see what I was like 8 years ago...

http://www.snafu-comics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10968
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:05 pm

I just read the poem you made about writer's block @.@
Black magics!

Edit: In the Poetry Pub, all the center tags seem messed up for some reason.
Last edited by Tenshi Nova on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Haha, ya, that was an interesting process
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:20 pm

Dang, I'm such a little girl.
Some of the poems chipped at me. Then I read the soldier one, and it was like a hammer to cracked glass.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Ohh, the one about the two soldiers?
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Yes T-T
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:26 pm

I actually really like that one but I'd kinda forgotten about it
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:36 pm

Seeing these members not around kind of makes me feel sad. From the ones I've checked, they seemed to have just stopped visiting, most halfway through a conversation too.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Mhmm, it is kind of, but *shrug*
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:44 pm

66 pages
I can use these as bed time stories this week :3
Assuming I don't spend the day tomorrow reading it all...I must pace myself...
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:54 am

If you had to guess from a purely critical standpoint and not one based on personal experience or personal prefference, what would you say is harder between Writing and Drawing? Literature Versus Art?

I initially didn't want to write because I sucked at it, then I got better. I still don't want to draw for the same reason; I suck at it.

I'm wondering if it's time to change that as well, even as just another hobby. Is there anyone here who does both?
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tuor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:58 am

BL does both.

I've always kinda wished I could draw, but I'm not really interested in putting all the time in it would take for me to become decent at it. Maybe because my best friend has always drawn and so he's quite good now and I've seen how long it took him to be how he is now
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:05 am

I've already dumped 3 years of my life into writing a single story. I have nothing else to show for it but experience and the story itself, which just from reading it you can see the change in writing style from year 1 to year 2 to year 3. If I REALLY want to be a good writer, I need to be ready to dump 40 or so more years into this profession, nearly tripping my lived life thus far.

When I was a kid, I split my hobbies evenly into writing and drawing, though as a 7-13 year old kid, there's only so much you can do unless you're born a prodigy. I remember drawings my teachers and friends said were good, I remember stories my teachers and friends said were good. I used them as a kind of inspiration to keep going, but along the line I dropped drawing. I don't know why, I think it may be because it was a lot harder to casually draw, not counting doodles. I can pump out a thousand words in an hour, for what it's worth. Considering I'm not in college, a lot of good that'll do me.

When you look at history, or even just people now, people are rarely artists and writers at the same time. I can think of many popular writers and many popular artists, but I can't think of anyone who does both at the same time at a critically acclaimed level. So another question; do you think I SHOULD try to draw a bit more, or just stick to writing?

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tuor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:07 am

I think it's interesting you think it's easy to casually write, because it's literally something that is impossible for me and I'm often envious of artists because they have the option of doodling and I don't feel like there's an equivalent in writing
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:15 am

Really? I find short poems easy to churn out. I find poems to be the literary equivalent of doodling. Some doodles turn out great and inspire people to do more with their content. Sometimes a doodle may explode into a full blown series in your brain. Or at least that's how I remember it when I drew.

Now that I write, I scrap about half of the pieces I make. Most of the 3 page parts to my story I put out are not only done in one day, it's done in one sitting, in an hour or two. I never sat and PRACTICED writing or drawing in my life, but I have spent a large portion of my life training in creative thought, sitting around doing nothing but imagining situations in my head. Anyone who's written a fanfiction will tell you the same, it's basically that. Thinking of one thing (The source material) and another thing (Your own personal fiction) and combining them into one.

Point being, I can empty the ideas in my head very quickly, making writing incredibly fast. Allowing me to "casually" write.

99% of the ideas that pop into my head are just tertiary, nothing, foggy ideas that are forgotten a minute later. But when you get a good idea, you have to write it down pretty fast so you don't forget it. I tried to write another story a couple months ago with BR called... uh... I don't remember exactly, I think it was called like "Adventures in the Undying Inn." It was a very interesting concept and BR told me to make a pilot scene for him. I did it in about two days and he said it was nice, but after a while we scrapped the idea.

It was fun. Do you write, Tuor? I mean a story, one you've done for a long time, one that is a part of your personal history?

Bird oft Error

Postby Tuor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:20 am

I guess I just put a lot of thought into my word choices, so I can't just absentmindedly write something, my mind has to be present. No, I haven't written a story like what you're describing. I've only really written the short pieces of prose that are in my lit thread. Aside from a chunk of a WWII story I started in like 9th grade or something, but I only wrote one chapter or so
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:23 am

Have you ever considered maybe just starting a story (or continuing your old one) for the hell of it? That's what everyone in the Literature forum told me about three years ago. Hell, I bet you could even find my thread in the abyss somewhere.

I was so nervous and unsure of myself that I almost didn't do it. But then I did.

Now I have a story that spans almost a full thousand days of progress and ideas. You should just go for it, Tuor. You can learn a lot from yourself when put on the spot. :)

Bird oft Error

Postby Tuor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:34 am

Eh, I guess I just don't feel particularly motivated too. One of my pieces on here I kind of toyed with the idea of it becoming a story, but I don't know, I didn't find it a very enjoyable prospect. When I tried to continue it I wasn't in the same headspace I was in when I wrote the first bit.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:37 am

That's okay. Maybe you can just wait until the time is right to write.

Maybe one day a gust of cool wind will hit you and you will think of nothing else than expressing that feeling.

Bird oft Error

Postby Tuor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:38 am

That's basically how I write. I don't really write unless inspiration hits me, which is my my updates are pretty sporadic
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Krest » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:52 am

Well, I made my FIRST EVER LIT PIECE - in Snafu, that is - just now.

It's supposed to contain lite humor, just lite...
Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:26 am

Birdofterror wrote:If you had to guess from a purely critical standpoint and not one based on personal experience or personal prefference, what would you say is harder between Writing and Drawing? Literature Versus Art?

I initially didn't want to write because I sucked at it, then I got better. I still don't want to draw for the same reason; I suck at it.

I'm wondering if it's time to change that as well, even as just another hobby. Is there anyone here who does both?

Yup. I do both.

In answering your first question, from a purely critical standpoint, they both have the use of different mediums that make them difficult in their own right. It's like asking if golf or interpretive dance is harder. You really do have to get personal experience and preference into it. that being said, its still not a easy question to answer. We could even get into how one is an activity of the left side of the brain and the other activity is for the right side, but that's a little silly.

Now this is completely my opinion. In replicating what you want from your mind's eye into a piece of physical substance, I would say writing is easier as you don't have quite the learning curve to deal with. I art there is so much to learn to make something look right that takes some time to get it down correctly. With writing, there is still things you have to learn and do right, but its easier to master than the complexity of art. Art CAN also be expensive, but when you're doing something you love, you can't put a price on it.

BUT from my personal experience, I would say that art is easier. I can get a drawing done in an hour if I feel motivated. But it takes a good two weeks for me to have anything good that I would consider ready for proofreading. Plus with art, you have a ton of how to draw material and Google for image reference. Writing is more... liberal in that there is no one right way to write something, and guides are opinions. I separate that from how to draw materials because proportions are not a opinion.

I would try both, Bird. Try art out and see if you like it, look at how some people do their works, I find no problem with consulting how to draw books either. Just don't expect to get to Bleedman's level within a few weeks. You suck at it, so did I when I started. I still suck at it, but less at it then when I first started. You'll get better the more time and energy you put into it. Finding people that you can draw with in either a classroom setting or independently on your own time works wonders as well.

I have a small sketchbook that I keep in a wooden box with some mechanical pencils and sticky notes that usually stays in my bag. When I'm bored or waiting for class, I take it out and practice on somethings, or draw whatever comes to mind. That way my skills don't deteriorate badly between long periods of not drawing anything. They're doodles, basically.

PreviousNext

Return to Literature