The Writer's Lounge

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Writer's Lounge - Happy NaNoWrMo!!!

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:14 am

Really? I got that one down pretty well. It's actually helped me in the real world too.

EDIT: Like, not the winning internet arguments, per-say, though that does make you feel good. I'm talking more about the process that you use being a benefit; reasoning, investigation, that ability to quickly judge a situation, finding the flaw of logic, etc.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:24 am

Birdofterror wrote:Don't let this place spoil you to the rest of the internet.

Anywhere and Everywhere, there are people who love nothing more than to have high and mighty opinions about things they know nothing about, and of course the louder they are the more other likeminded uninformed people flock to them and begin to parrot.

While I have learned a LOT of lessons from this site, none of them have been about winning internet arguments.

I was implying this with my post. I've been around the internet long enough to know what's on it, and been exposed enough to the point where I can say I've seen my fair share.

I wouldn't say this site has taught me a lot, but it has grown some of my dulled opinions on various subjects.
This site is the reason my essays in class went from 70s to HIGH 90s.
Before this site I filled my work with bullshit. Now I have 3 different teachers asking to use my work as examples for other/future classes.
Not to mention I've finally found a place where I can exercise my vocabulary.

Edit: On the matter of internet arguments. Using Blood's post imo, is the difference between winning and taking a nasty shit on an opposing argument.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:27 am

That's pretty cool to hear, Tenshi
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:35 am

That's awesome that it helped improve your score like that.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:37 am

I also became a lot more confident, on and off my computer :3

So before I head off to bed. Anyone got any tips for script writing?
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:38 am

Never really done it, aside from a few casual attempts with my best friend
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Script, huh? Like... a Play/Movie/TV Show Script? Like: Enter Main character with x Emotion Script?

If so, I believe BR may actually have some experience with that. After all, he has to guide the comic through varying characters and emotions at key times, all while maintaining a sense of presence within the overall story. I think even if it's not literally the same thing, he can at least shed some very interesting and very usable insight.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:26 pm

I can't imagine it would be too difficult. Isn't it just the character words and mapping of major events?

Postby Tuor » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:32 pm

k write a script, go
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:34 pm

Not sure. I'm taking an afterschool English 099 class. The professor suggested I try it out.

We had an extremely basic grammar test. 10 questions I believe, each was basically to use a word properly in a sentence. There, their, they're, your, you're, and I forgot the rest. I made it into a half assed dialogue, since I had to use the words in the order given.
Then he pointed out that I have a knack for understanding point of view, as in relating it to different elements and expression of topics. I also asked him about Full Sail, a media university I got accepted to :D Course it's out of my state and I'm dirt poor :( Got to find a way to make that happen >.<

Anyways, he suggested I try script writing, just to see how I'd like it.

Edit: Tuor, how did your casual attempts go?
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:38 pm

From what I know, its basic. I think its just the characters talking and major events. Nothing like "Joe raised his hand" sort of a thing.

But I'm not sure. I don't write script.

Postby Tuor » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:43 pm

They went ok, I think we'd do better now, those attempts were in like Gr 10-12. Having both written more and taking writing courses they'd probably be better, you'd hope anyhow. They were good enough to get our peers interested in them, but I don't know how much that says about them
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:48 pm

I was thinking of making a script of a few random characters, but I can't think of any. Also, I'm afraid I'll make it ridiculously long.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:24 am

I think you and I have some extremely different views on lengths, but I don't think length should be a worry.

You are going to have all that extra fluff out of the way.
And the ones I've seen online usually post their stuff together like so.
Unless there is an action.

Give it a try, see what happens. It's fun to experiment and write out of the comfort zone.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:02 pm

I just finished my last of 3 essay tests @.@
I'm in the mood to just lay down and forget everything that happened in the past 5 hours ~.~
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Haha, congrats. Now you don't have to see literature for a while. What are you planning to do with your time off?

WRITE?!   
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:22 pm

Type. xD
This time because I want to.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Re: The Writer's Lounge

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Well, damn. Got one thing on my goal list done.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:30 pm

I FAILED!
I planed for 5 and had 1.
I'm a disgrace T.T
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigment » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:02 pm

Wanted to get Chapter Nine done, but stopped short at Eight. :(
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Tuor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:33 pm

I did lots of writing

Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:34 pm

If my memory is worth anything, I believe you've done easily over 7k words.

P.S.
Along with the script I'm attempting, I have to write a poem for a class.
Teacher said no more than a poem, no other specifications.
Question is, are there any rules for poetry? As in, things most poems should try to follow
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:28 pm

Poetry can be pretty much anything...it's become a very vague genre, unless you're trying to make it follow a specific style. Like if you look through some of my stuff in my lit thread, which is mostly poems, there's lots of different way to do it.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:32 pm

Editing doesn't notify there's additional info :c I'll avoid doing so in the future.

I'll have a quick look through your thread then. I tried to make one, but it seems so...underdeveloped? Something like that.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:38 pm

The simplest thing you could try out is just doing rhyming couplets.
Rest Easy Ethan

PreviousNext

Return to Literature