The Writer's Lounge

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Writer's Lounge

Postby Comic Kitten » Mon May 05, 2014 12:24 pm

Thank you! It's already getting pretty frequent business, I'm excited for it to grow!
Hmm

Postby Millo » Tue May 06, 2014 2:07 pm

I'm glad about your business CK C-: but perhaps you might want to hire a web designer to help fix up your website up. No offense it's just a lot of things don't work too well together.
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Comic Kitten » Wed May 07, 2014 7:09 am

Yeah I kind of did it myself haha I'm going to have my web designer friend look at it when I get back to the states :)
Hmm

Postby Tuor » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:55 am

I've been reading an anthology of almost all of Hemingway's short story, and I've been enjoying it tremendously. I felt like this would be a good place to share some of my favourite bits. These bits are stand alone vignettes placed between sections of the book that I quite liked. I might drop chunks of the short stories in here later, or else just name favourites and y'all can look them up if you feel like. The stories ranges from a page and a bit to about 25 pages in length. I actually think Hemingway's writing style lends him much better to short story writing than writing novels.

While the bombardment was knocking the trench to pieces at Fossalta, he lay very flat and sweated and prayed oh jesus christ get me out of here. Dear jesus please get me out. Christ please please please christ. If you’ll only keep me from getting killed I’ll do anything you say. I believe in you and I’ll tell every one in the world that you are the only one that matters. Please please dear jesus. The shelling moved further up the line. We went to work on the trench and in the morning the sun came up and the day was hot and muggy and cheerful and quiet. The next night back at Mestre he did not tell the girl he went upstairs with at the Villa Rossa about Jesus. And he never told anybody.

The first matador got the horn through his sword hand and the crowd hooted him. The second matador slipped and the bull caught him through the belly and he hung on to the horn with one hand and held the other tight against the place, and the bull rammed him wham against the wall and the horn came out, and he lay in the sand, and then got up like crazy drunk and tried to slug the men carrying him away and yelled for his sword but he fainted. The kid came out and had to kill five bulls because you can't have more than three matadors, and the last bull he was so tired he couldn't get the sword in. He couldn't hardly lift his arm. He tried five times and the crowd was quiet because it was a good bull and it looked like him or the bull and then he finally made it. He sat down in the sand and puked and they held a cape over him while the crowd hollered and threw things down into the bull ring.

If it happened right down close in front of you, you could see Villalta snarl at the bull and curse him, and when the bull charged he swung back firmly like an oak when the wind hits it, his legs tight together, the muleta* trailing and the sword following the curve behind. Then he cursed the bull, flopped the muleta at him, and swung back from the charge his feet firm, the muleta curving and at each swing the crowd roaring.
When he started to kill it was all in the same rush. The bull looking at him straight in front, hating. He drew out the sword from the folds of the muleta and sighted with the same movement and called to the bull, Toro! Toro! and the bull charged and Villalta charged and just for a moment they became one. Villalta became one with the bull and then it was over. Villalta standing straight and the red hilt of the sword sticking out dully between the bull's shoulders. Villalta, his hand up at the crowd and the bull roaring blood, looking straight at Villalta and his legs caving.

*a muleta is a style of cape used in bullfights, it is used in the final third of the fight
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Millo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:55 pm

Do any of you have any experience in poetry? A friends birthday is coming up and they're a talented poet and I want to write a poem about how I feel about them. Its going to be included with a painting I did as well.

I'm not a very good writer so if anyone here is willing to maybe look over my work and help me iron it out I'd be grateful
Resident Illustrator

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:07 pm

You're doubting your writing ability after having written "Ben and Shelia"? That was some of the best stuff I've seen to come out of the literature forum.

Tuor has done poems and has an entire thread for it on this segment of the forum. A few other people here have dabbled in it too.

Why not get pointers from your friend if you can't get any here?
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Millo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:13 pm

Because its for them and its supposed to be a surprise .

And you flatter me, I don't think Ben and Shelia is all that great
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:03 am

Kept meaning to talk about this. Haven't finished the book yet as I keep getting distracted a lot. Right now I'm far too drowsy to keep finishing it.

But it was as I suspected, Valedor by Guy Haley gets a 'lot' better once it's pass the prologue. Guy Hayley has fun forming the Eldar world and sharing his own input and having all these interesting characters. It is also really-really well written, the writing is far better pass the prologue. I would pick out some of my most favourite sentences... but I didn't think to note those down while reading it. He also has a lot of fun with the Dark Eldar, they're over the top arrogant bad guys who are helping the good guys in the story as Guy Hayley wanted to justify why Eldar and Dark Eldar had no problem being allies while playing the actual dice game of warhammer 40k.... have to say he didn't do a great job, don't understand how they get so well on in the game without any drawbacks. It really raises more questions with how evil the Dark Eldar act to the Eldar than answers. So people who have played the table-top wargame and have been befuddled by this will be even more befuddled.
One thing I'm not sure to fully think about, but do think it makes it great for warhammer fans, for while I was questioning the changes in perspective, the character developing and just general story telling, this wasn't telling a story, it was telling a war. Probably had to explain as I haven't read too many books and could probably be explained by someone else much better. But lets say it focuses more on telling the quest than the actual characters, all while still using the characters. Again confusing, but I do think the fact that it seems more like a war novel than an actual adventure novel that warhammer tends to be for some reason, is great for gamers wanting to read more about the warhammer world. (We're playing a wargame, not an rpg game)
Some problems though is that it's really-really predictable, doesn't even try to hide it, guess Guy Haley knew these had all the ingredients to what he was going to do and instead of attempting to cover up, he just went with it, I guess that's the best thing to do, especially when again the story revolves around a war than a proper story. There's also times you know Guy Haley didn't care for this scene and just wanted to get pass it, he forced himself to write it so he can get it out of the way. I'm know this time he had two typos in one page, I'm sure of it!... But I didn't bookmark it. It's only occasional though that he forced himself and I think that can sometimes be bound to happen for a writer.

I do think Valedor's something worth reading it you want something different, so yeah, not too recommended, but if you find a friend offering you to burrow it or unsure what to read and yet happen to find that in the library you're looking through, go for it, it's not a novel that you'll regret reading.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:41 am

What do you guys think is a comfortable word length (word, not pages) for a chapter?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby athdlg » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:13 am

I personally feel comfortable with about 2000~6000 words? I question this because it varies to what I'm reading I guess. Usually I try to keep chapters that I create to about 4000 words at minimum and go up from there. Until I hit the ending of the chapter, that's when I decide whether it's too long or too short for the content that's supposed to be in it.
Forever Noob

Postby SantaUltraDJClaus » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:18 am

Not sure really. Haven't thought about it. I just think if it feels long enough after done writing it's time to post, but maybe I'll agree with athdlg, probably somewhere between 2000-6000 words, or maybe like 15-20, maybe more, pages in a published book at least, for fan fiction, it would be a bit shorter.
Pro Snafu Mods Supporter 2k14
Just Rockin

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:41 am

An entire chapter? Well, that varies. I've seen some books be little longer than a few paragraphs between chapters, while others go for many many pages.

I've kept note of my writing habits and came to the numerical conclusion that the "pieces" of my chapters (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) are usually about 1300 words long each, equaling roughly 3 and a half pages. My parts are usually squished together in groups of 3, equaling 3900-4500 words for chapters, and consuming about 11 pages of text.

I'm a bit on the long side, and recently in my story I've taken to shortening chapters in their entirety to about 2000 words now. A lot easier to digest.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Q.U. » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:15 am

Whether you ask for pages or words it is a bit of a flawed question, I think. A chapter is usually defined as a semi-separate story arc that is a continuation of the main plot, a side plot, or a flashback/whatever. So long as it is somewhat self-contained within it's premise it is fine to make it a separate chapter. The length of it matters much less, what matters is whether or not is can be safely separated from the rest of the story and can stand on it's own in terms of plotline, progression, and events that take place. Personally, I use chapters and sections in my writing. Chapters signify major turn points of the story, like a new story arc, or a time lapse. Whereas I use sections to separate smaller instances, such as changes of situation, scenery, or general temporary changes in the chronotope. The difference being that the story needs to clearly follow through between sections, whereas there can be sort of "undisclosed" elements that are left out of the story and perhaps only mentioned if it's between chapters. In other words, any skip or major change in cast, main characters' motivation, complete change in time or location and setting, that would warrant a new chapter.

But to answer your question, for me personally it seems that a chapter tends to be about 20-30 pages. I can't be bothered to try and copy a chapter to get the words counted, but going by the average words per page being ~400 a chapter for me would be about 8000 to 12000 words.
My sections are much shorter, for the sake of composition and clarity for the reader. Varying widely between as much as 15 pages and as little as 3 pages, so between 1200 and 6000 words per section.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:36 pm

Q.U. wrote:Whether you ask for pages or words it is a bit of a flawed question, I think.

Well... it isn't a trick question. Could be a little bit more specific by looking for comfortable average length of a internet published story.

Q.U. wrote:a chapter for me would be about 8000 to 12000 words.

I think that's brushing against my max there.

I feel okay with giving 3,000 to 8,000. I don't mind reading longer chapters, or using them, but I fear of dangerously tapping against the attention span of people when you push over into the five digit range. I just published a chapter that pushed a bit past 9,000 and was concerned with cutting the chapter in half to make it easier to read. Hence why I asked what a comfortable word length for a chapter is.

But I couldn't find a good point to cut it at.

But anyways, thanks guys.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Q.U. » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:06 am

That's why I mentioned sections.

Chapter 3

TEXT

TEXT

TEXT

TEXT

Chapter 4

This allows the reader a selection of stops to pause at whenever they want. Like save points in a game. I understand your problem now, it's similar to the best youtube video length to keep people watching. But people will have different ideas of what length is best. And personally I think the story's consistency and flow should be prioritised over making it reader-friendly chunks.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Comic Kitten » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Personally, long chapters really deter me from wanting to read more... I like them to be under 20 pages.
Hmm

Previous

Return to Literature