The Writer's Lounge

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Writer's Lounge

Postby SantaUltraDJClaus » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:53 pm

Okay, this is going to sound really stupid, but you can put an avatar here? If so, how?
Just Rockin

Postby Hallow Nova » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:23 pm

Top right, click profile.
You'll see some tabs, click the profile tab.
Under that, you'll see the edit avatar option.
Then you can just copy paste the link to the pic you wish to be your avatar, set the dimensions to 150 x 150 or smaller.
Done, new avatar! :D
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby SantaUltraDJClaus » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:12 pm

All right, I have one as a place holder for now, thanks for the help Tenshi!
Just Rockin

Postby SantaUltraDJClaus » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:49 pm

All right, I've been trying to find "Griddle"'s fics on PPGD, but no luck. Are they here anymore or is he under a different name? If it's been right in my face all this time, I'm going to yell at myself.
Just Rockin

Postby Tuor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:40 pm

Griddles fanfic should be in his thread here in the Lit forum. I don't know where you've been looking
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:45 pm

Griddles' most recent one is Talisman, you can find it on Snafu in this very literature forum.

A lot of his older ones, my favorite being "Black and White" the origin behind Bell, Barasia, and Briennen- are found on his Deviantart.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:37 am

If it's been right in my face all this time, I'm going to yell at myself.

Get ready to yell at yourself then.

He did change his own name to GridsNaranek. Mostly everyone still calls him Grids though.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Q.U. » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:19 pm

You could have just posted viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39464
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:28 pm

But that would be TOO EASY. :roll:

I wasn't really directing him to Talisman, though I did mention it. I wanted him to look up his earlier works, if he truly cares about the Gridverse.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby SantaUltraDJClaus » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:45 pm

I did find his deviantart and found "Talisman" before some of these comments popped up. Thanks to all who helped me though.
Just Rockin

Postby SantaUltraDJClaus » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:49 am

Could I trouble in asking what I can do to enhance and or change my words on the forum? Like I think I know how to change the font size but maybe a list of how to change font colors and stuff would be nice. Need to polish something, and this is the first forum I've actually stayed on, so I'm still learning.
Just Rockin

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:07 am

Just look over each option. Next to the size option, you can see the font color option.
You can test the options by editting a single post. That way you won't produce spam.

3 neat tricks off the top of my head...
When using the YouTube tag option, post the YouTube link in the middle and delete all that comes before the 'v=', including the 'v=' itself.

And when using the URL tag option, you can place an equal sign and a link within the first tag, then type in the middle, so that text brings you to the link. Like so.

You can click the QUOTE option on the top right of posts, to see what was typed to create the desired text. Example, you can click the QUOTE button for this post and see how I placed the Google link using the URL tags.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Q.U. » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:40 am

You can wrap text around images, use the standard font alterations as well as font colours, there are codes for each one, you can change font type, font size add    spoilers   , strikes, or
    make
    lists
    and
  • bullet
  • points.

Click the

!
button on the top right of this post to see the tags I used for things.

Also, if you're testing things you can click the "Preview" button next to "Submit" which instead of posting the message will show you what it will look like.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby SantaUltraDJClaus » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:33 pm

This is going to help me so much. I cannot show how much appreciation I have for you guys.
Just Rockin

Postby Q.U. » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:45 pm

Do keep in mind though, that for reading purposes the text is best when it's not in alternating colours or fonts. So try not to shove unnecessary text alterations into your posts. We generally use the spoilers for spoilers for example (ingenious, I know) or the small/large font to add an addendum or emphasise something. Changing the text colour is okay for Roleplay in the RP forum, and maybe some single words or phrases in other forums, but try not to colour all your posts, and if you do use the colour tool try to pick colours that don't make it difficult for people to see/read your posts, because they are lazy beasts, and simply won't bother to read what you wrote.

So yeah, use wisely and in moderation where needed.

Postby SantaUltraDJClaus » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:06 pm

I got it. Thanks again.
Just Rockin

Postby Comic Kitten » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:19 am

Okay, I would like an opinion... when reading a good fantasy novel, do you guys prefer a satisfying ending, a sad ending, or one that leaves a cliffhanger to a second book? I'm leaning toward the last one for my book, but I just wanted some opinions from other readers. Go!
Hmm

Postby Tuor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:22 am

For fantasy, I'm a traditionalist, so I generally like a happy ending.

Also, golly, you were busy in here tonight, haha
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Comic Kitten » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 am

Hahaha yeahhh I got a little carried away! I would read one thread, then feel guilty for leaving out a different thread, so one story after another I read until my brain felt like goo... I just feel like everyone put effort into their writing and I want to give them some recognition!

And with the story, I was going to leave it on a cliffhanger to open for book two, then in book two I was going to have it end in a dramatic fight, something good (satisfying ending), then do an epilogue to show that happy endings have their drawbacks (as does life) so the readers can imagine how the story truly ends from there.

And if my books got published, I'd probably do a prequel to the two books, which would just be fun for me and the readers (kind of like if JK Rowling did a book about Harry's parents and their adventures).
Hmm

Postby Tuor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:55 am

I wasn't aware she wrote such a book, interesting.

Well, it sounds like you have a scheme all planned out so just go with what you have in mind!
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Comic Kitten » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:08 am

She didn't write that kind of book, but if she did, it would be in that kind of concept; fun for her to write and for the fans of her books. It would only add some spice and excitement to the other books, but not give anything new away... that's how my prequel would be.

I think that's what I'll do. But I wanted opinions because I know some people really hate it when books end that way.
Hmm

Postby Tuor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:12 am

Oh, I missed the "if", derp.

If it's for a sequel, then I don't mind so much, although I don't know that you have to end a book on a cliffhanger for their to be a sequel. I guess it depends how exactly the cliffhanger is done.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Comic Kitten » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:14 am

Basically book one reveals an impending war, and book two finishes the war. Book one is largely based on character development and building suspense, whereas book two would be about action and ultimate character revelations.
Hmm

Postby Tuor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:18 am

Hmm, I see, I see. Well, in that case I think it would work, with the first book ending like right at the outbreak of the war or something.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Comic Kitten » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:20 am

I hope so! I gotta say the closer to the end of the book I get, the smaller my confidence is.
Hmm

PreviousNext

Return to Literature