The Book Thread!

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

The Book Thread!

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:28 am

Hello everyone! At the suggestion of both Tuor and Blood Lord, I've decided to start a book thread! Here, we'll talk about anything ranging from Fantasy, Science Horror, or anything really. To be honest, I don't know how to start this, but all I can say is Hobey Ho, let's go! Yes, I'm starting this thread of with a Pendragon reference, which is by far my favorite book series ever since I was a kid in Elementary School. And it made me wonder why in the world the books were hiding in a dark place...anyways, shall we begin? What books have you read recently that you would like to recommend to us?
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Re: The Book Thread!

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:43 am

But...but...we have a Literature Section :C

I've read The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison recently. I do enjoy the book more than I have any other I've read. Not so much story wise, but the way it's written makes it one of my favorites.
It starts off by telling the readers the extremely tragic ending, and the rest of the book goes into explaining why and how the multiple series of events came together for such a morbid conclusion. It is in no way a happy story. The protagonist   , Pecola, gets raped by her father. Afterwards her child is stillborn. This is all within the first chapter.   

One of my favorite books was Warriors by Erin Hunter. I stopped reading sometime ago because I was waiting months for releases. I may go back go back now, there's probably another 10 books by now.
The series is split into sets comprised of 6 books. Each set is about a generation of wild cats that follows the previous set. The wild cats formed clans, who all act as independently as that can from one another. Don't let the cat part throw you off, it's an amazing fantasy series, filled with scheming, secrets and drama.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:08 am

AAAGGGHHHHH I can see why you put that in spoilers!
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:49 pm

The Shannara series by Terry Brooks.

Fantasy books, pulls a good amount from mythology. The books start with the Sword of Shannara and is set up much like the three Lord of the Rings books. The original trilogy is composed of the Sword, the Elfstones, and the Wishsong of Shannara. He's got quite a few prequel and sequel sets that go with it.

Great fantasy series, inmho.

Postby Tuor » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:41 pm

Ya, I remember reading that early in highschool, I believe. I enjoyed the series quite a bit. And then ya, there are other Shannara books too that I rebember liking but I can't remember the name of
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Lady Haru » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:41 pm

a book thread? yes? yesss
i'm late to the thread, but why not post right? books are great
i am a huge reader, i fucking love books
motherfucking english major, am i right

hmm can we list our current top 5 books/series?
okay that's what i'm gonna do now, not in any particular order though

Across The Universe Trilogy by Beth Revis
Sky Chasers Trilogy by Amy Kathleen Ryan
A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb
Eve Trilogy by Ana Carey
Blood of Eden Trilogy by Julia Kagawa

i read mostly young adult and the subgenres are mostly supernatural, science fiction, romance, and dystopia
goddamn living on campus limits my ability to get to the public library so i don't read as much as i did in high school
boo i miss books
ImageImage
Tumblr 1 // Tumblr 2 // Facebook // Dreadful Comics
Alopunk - Haru, you are 200% a cutie patootie
Your Queen Your God

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri May 02, 2014 12:13 am

My High School is pathetic

Their selection is small, and all I can say is that it is just lacking. I've tried several times to find a book worth reading on the shelf, and I found NONE.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Fri May 02, 2014 5:07 am

You could try a public library. I rarely find the books I'm looking for in my schools.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Artan » Sun May 04, 2014 9:44 pm

The Moaning of Life by Karl Pilkington.

If you don't know who KP is, he was the "idiot" on the ricky gervais show which was a podcast on HBO starring Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and KP. KP did a series of travel shows where he went around the globe discussing life and how it compares to his life. He made a few books based on that programme and I got his most recent one. It discusses Marriage, Kids and Death. I got to say its a really pleasant book to read, every other sentence has me giggling like an idiot. He's such a sincere guy and if you're a fan of british humor than you'll appreciate his quips
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Comic Kitten » Mon May 05, 2014 11:02 am

My list of "must read" books is already so large, I'm scared to visit this forum often... On a random note, do you guys prefer eBooks or hard/soft covers?
Meow.

Postby Artan » Mon May 05, 2014 3:11 pm

Hard Cover Books! It just feels so good in my hands.
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Tuor » Mon May 05, 2014 3:26 pm

Paperbacks all the wayfor me. They're more portable, lighter/smaller(generally), no dust jacket hassle, and cheaper.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Comic Kitten » Tue May 06, 2014 5:01 am

I love all books, and I recently received a Nook for Christmas. I'm pretty excited to have books at the touch of a button, and at a cheaper cost! I love to hold a book in my hand, but I think I'll learn to love this digital age.
Meow.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue May 06, 2014 5:04 am

I do enjoy digital convenience. I still prefer hardcover books, dust and all. The dust reminds me of how much time passed since I last picked it up, the little nostalgic tingle is nice :3
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Tue May 06, 2014 5:15 am

I'm not sure if the mention of dust means you're alluding to my post or not
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue May 06, 2014 5:32 am

Kind of was, it reminded me of the few times I cleaned dust off my older books. I normally just store the dust jackets in a drawer.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Tue May 06, 2014 5:35 am

I guess that's one way of getting rid of the hassle
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Lady Haru » Wed May 07, 2014 12:53 am

i prefer hardcovers
when i leave the library, i stake them up
the weight of the words in my hands makes me feel all good inside
and they just feel good to handle while reading

i don't mind paperbacks but i hate that thing when the cover has been bent back
uugh it irks me so bad

i also have a nook, got it 2 christmases ago
but i haven't touched it in months
it seems harder for me to read because it just doesn't feel as enjoyable
that's just me though, would rather flips through the pages than slide a screen, i guess
ImageImage
Tumblr 1 // Tumblr 2 // Facebook // Dreadful Comics
Alopunk - Haru, you are 200% a cutie patootie
Your Queen Your God

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun May 11, 2014 1:28 pm

So I've checked out three books from the Iron Druid Chronicles. I've gotten halfway through "Hounded", the first book, and once that's done I might go on to read "Hammered" and "Hexed".

My biggest gripe about the series is that the plot tends to be quite slow. Even at parts where there is action all you'll ever be reading is the main character describing in an unnecessary long paragraph that takes almost an entire page. However, I think that readers may find these long paragraphs truly helpful when it comes to visualizing an important event; even I was able to get a clearer idea of what was going on compared to most books which go at a better pace than this book (at least in my opinion.)

The main character is probably one of the coolest protagonists I've ever gotten to know in a book, and he has many funny jokes, but he isn't the only character that can make a reader laugh. He's basically what I call an Irish Dante with a wolfhound (except women would actually sleep with him. Poor Dante.) And since I mentioned him being Irish, the book also uses some Irish terms and relieves many readers of trying to pronounce it by adding a Pronunciation guide at the beginning of "Hounded". Which is great because I wasn't expecting anything else when I first got the books.

And I fell in love with the summary. I praise Kevin Hearne for his creative originality as I had an enjoyable read throughout "Hounded" despite going through a frustrating amount of pages with long paragraphs. And the best thing about the summaries for each of the three books is that I found that each of their plots is totally diverse from each other. I'm thinking that maybe there might be some details from a previous book or so when reading a sequel, but other than that, it's a new adventure.

I've procrastinated a lot in reading these books and I also checked out Jay Kristioff's "Stormdancer", the first book in The Lotus War series. However, the return date for these books are coming soon, so I might have to return that before I ever get a chance to read it. And apparently, Stormdancer takes place in a steam punk, dystopian Feudal Japan, and much like "Hounded" I liked its summary as well, it's just that...well, steam punk. Eh, whatever I guess.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Tue May 20, 2014 10:22 am

Hey-ho, I decided to drop into the discussion or at least start talking about a book because I wanted to moan about this one that I have a gripe about. It's not a big deal, but anyways, I've only recently decided to get back into reading books as I do admit it's rather silly for someone who writes lotz of book length stories, writes very little books (Soon as I started drawing again, I had very little time). I then saw on the website Games workshop, a well-known sci-fi/fantasy wargame buisness that's highly controversial and just stupid these days and yet very obsessed about, was coming out with a new novel, 'Valedor' by Guy Haley.

Valedor had my favourite sci-fi army, the Eldar going up against one of my favourite armies, the Tyranids and the story seemed interesting. Should've thought twice though because I didn't check the price or worth I was paying for (£20s for something that's only about 334 pages).

Guy Haley's getting a name for himself amongst the lot known as the Black library (Company that sells fanfiction books for Games workshop) and was in hardback and the fact they made a big fuss about it... So far I've only read the first few pages and that's what I wanted to gripe about. Whilst he's better than Steven Sevile who writ Vampire wars, he's just not the standards I had in mind.

So what am I moaning about when I've already read the first few pages. Well already a number of stuff is already forced imaging, which I hate and will often thump someone, anyone really on this forum for doing in their literature. Guy Haley gets so much into how these Eldar soldiers are dying for the main character and that there's not many of them left to the point I want to go 'We get it go on about some other aspect of the battle if you want to show they're desperate!' I'm tempting to write another war story to give a true impression of how to make something look like a last stand rather than by how many of them left.
Another thing I found forced was the irony how this character had abandoned his kin to come back to rescue them and tries to be so deep that it gets to a point it's confusing and I really doubt it makes sense (Should have someone else read it to confirm this).
One more that was forced was that this character's sad. I didn't get that impression, didn't get any impression at all, yet I read he started crying and was like, wait? He's crying? Poor characterization really that comes out of nowhere. Really I was imagining he was more grim that tearjerky.

Another few problems was that I found his writing clumsy and hard to read at times. I'm pretty sure this here's a typo, but I find it hard to believe in a novel (But I do understand it does happen, but anyways.)

Freedom was not the lot of any Eldar

I'm going to assume lot was meant to be lost.

But anyways, I'm not rejecting this book just yet. The prologue is from a known battle that you can find in the Eldar army book, so I haven't tried out Guy Haley's storytelling or creativity yet and Eldar are pretty difficult to write about, mainly due to how vague Games workshop has explored their world. The best I read that tried explore the Eldar world was The path of the warrior by Gav Thrope (I didn't read all of it however as I got bored by how Gav is such a descriptive writer, seriously he piles on you with description that I really don't care about, but it's what he's good at).
Anyways, I'm just going to assume all this forced stuff is just something Guy wasn't really keen on and will probably be much better written when I get into the story itself. So might come back to praise him rather then hit on him.
Really just wanted to rant about this.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Tuor » Tue May 20, 2014 2:03 pm

I'm just gonna pop in to say that that's not a typo, if that was "lost" then the sentence would make no sense. In this case he is using "lot" as in "the portion in life assigned by fate or providence; one's fate, fortune, or destiny".

I can't really comment on the rest of the story, but I don't think you were wanting people too, really. Forced imagery does suck. Maybe he was piling it on because you mentioned that what he's describing right not is something that has already been written about and people have already read about so he wants to make sure all those people will feel like he's gotten his version "right"
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Tue May 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Oh? Ah well still very awkward to me.

But not, wasn't really planning on discussing this in general, just wanted to openly rant. But it's kind of already been written about, just in a summary, a small background, where he it's written into a prose. Still doesn't change the fact it feels forced.

An obsessed freak

Postby Tuor » Tue May 20, 2014 2:52 pm

It's somewhat of an archaic term so if you're not used to reading things that aren't contemporary I can see how it'd be an odd word and disrupt the flow for you.

I'm just saying it might feel so forced because he's trying to make sure all his bases are covered, since he kinda has to llived up to what's already been written.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Tue May 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Yeah, not going to get into archaic terms. Might cover it though with my friend I see every two weeks though.

Anyways he could be doing a better job then. Like he's suppose to lose two-thirds of his loyal corsairs. But goes on about how they're just straddlers, most of them are dead and oh and there were just one-third left. We get it, most of them are dead, stop reminding us five pages into the book.

An obsessed freak

Postby F.U.N.K V.O.L.U.M.E » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:56 pm

I know this thread's dead, but I got one thing to say.

The Torch Keeper series by Steven Dos Santos. I read the first book, The Culling, and I've checked out the second book, The Sowing. I strongly suggest reading it, because it's awesome. The Culling alone is amazing, and has a lot of "holy shit" moments. It also has what has to be the most screwed up character death ever. I won't spoil it, but something that is said, is just, I don't even know. Words can't describe it. Santos is a great writer, and keeps you on the edge.

And even though it's dystopian fiction, and an LGBT book, it isn't what you expect. It could rip off The Hunger Games (which I personally don't like), but it doesn't. And it could focus only on LGBT themes and ignore other story progression, but it doesn't. Overall, a must-read
You're evil, insane, have no life, and nothing to do cause they haven't invented re-runs of The Golden Girls yet-Nico Minoru
Freedom without individuality is not strength-Vergil
I'm doing this to show you I'm not afraid to die. Never cross a man not afraid to die-Malcolm X
You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders-Jor-El
Your mother and I believed Krypton lost something precious, the element of choice, of chance. What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater?-Jor-El
The ability to speak does not make you intelligent-Qui-Gon Jinn

Next

Return to Literature