Vacations and books

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Vacations and books

Postby Grivous » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Vacations! Time for travels, fun, playing and, of course, books!

I bought some books to read in this vacation while I am traveling to the south in a family reunion for Christmas and New Year. So this is my dear little list:

- As Esganadas by Jô Soares

- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

- The Lord of the Rings (The Two Towers and The Return of the King) by J.R.R. Tolkien

- Game of Thrones: Book One by George R.R. Martin

- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

- Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (for valid arguments against fangirls and "how to learn its formula of unbelievable success")

And some fanfics that friends of mine wrote and want some critique about their stories, narrations and grammar.

What about you guys?

Grivous.
Last edited by Grivous on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grivous

Re: Vacations and books

Postby Birdofterror » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:41 am

Can't say much about the books, I'm not that into literature, which is odd considering I am currently and have been writing a Fanfiction for the past 3 years. That said;
Grivous wrote:And some fanfics that friends of mine wrote
Grivous wrote:and want some critique about their stories, narrations and grammar.
Any chance of you dropping them in this thread for people to look at them? If they rival even one of the books up there, something tells me they are worth the read. If not... that's okay too, but I don't spend a lot of my time talking about books.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tuor » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:54 am

Over the winter break I'm planning to read some Norse sagas that I looked through a little bit as research for a paper. Egil's Saga in particular. I'm also going to read a few academic works on Norse history. As for fiction, I'm not too sure. I'll probably re-read The Hobbit, so it's fresh in my mind when I see the movie. I might also read "New Spring" which is a prequel to one of my favourite fantasy series, The Wheel of Time.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Grivous » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:56 am

Birdofterror wrote:
Grivous wrote:And some fanfics that friends of mine wrote
Grivous wrote:and want some critique about their stories, narrations and grammar.
Any chance of you dropping them in this thread for people to look at them? If they rival even one of the books up there, something tells me they are worth the read. If not... that's okay too, but I don't spend a lot of my time talking about books.

Well, I can drop them here, yes. But the problem is that they are in Portuguese. Sorry.

Tuor wrote:I'll probably re-read The Hobbit, so it's fresh in my mind when I see the movie.

I bought the book just for that.
When I read The Fellowship of the Ring, it was way too diferent from the movie, lot of scenes and characters in the book wasn't in the movie like Tom Bombadil, Háma and so on.
I wanna see the difference between the movie and the book in The Hobbit and it'll be fun to discover it.

Grivous.
Grivous

Return to Literature