thumbs up to the youth, the Pinoy pride and Christmas! XD

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

thumbs up to the youth, the Pinoy pride and Christmas! XD

Postby mya0cine » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:54 am

hi!

yup, it's me... the same idiot behind Sakuran High (which is also a literative post here... come on, comment on it! XD)

i'm actually the newly elected head of the literary/feature page for our school paper (yay, me!) and i want to extend my articles to the people over the net, just for kicks.

just drop your comments/insights about what you read in this page, okay?

these are the two favorite articles i wrote.

here we go...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this article won 2nd place in our Pre-Divisions Secondary Schools Press Contest against 80 entries over the theme "how to be a hero in the eyes of the youth".
Sept. 1, 2009

SUPERPOWERS

Walking by the sidewalk, I passed by a group of children playing Masked Rider. The pretend-hero, Masked Rider, pummeled his pretend-oponent to the ground with one swift pretend-blow. The crowd of other children cheered for the defeat of the pretend-monster in their pretend battle.

People often misinterpret what a true hero is nowadays. They think that, just because someone did something really awesome or such, that someone is deemed a hero.

Just what makes up a hero, anyway?

First of all: COURAGE.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the mastery of it;" quoted our Values Education teacher, and let me tell you, that quote really left a mark on me. It is true that all people have fears in life, but that doesn't mean that they should just let the fear take over and that they are left to brood behind its shadow. Courage is the control of that racing heartbeat amidst the dangers in life, the taking of risks that may sometimes be impossible, and the dominion of doubt. Courage is when a blind man crosses the street with only a cane to guide his dark path. It is when a child musters up the guts to confess to his mom that he wet his bed for the third time around. A hero knows that there are hindrances, so he gathers the strenght to drive those hindrances away.
(I once climbed our book shelf when I was young, in an attempt to imitate Spiderman. Needless to say, things didn't end well. Nah, that's not courage, that's just plain stupidity, but hey, at least I tried.)

Next up is LOVE.

Love is that strong and pure affection for something or someone. It is the devoted loyalty without asking for payment. And seriously, what good is someone who doesn't know how to love? Everyone knows how to love. "Forgive and forget" is what they say, and in the heart of a hero, hatred doesn't exist. This is because everyone is sinful. Everyone has faults in life and is sure to have hurt a handful of people in the past. A hero is sinful himself and therefore knows the apologetic side's feelings. A hero doesn't hold up his pride against a begging puppy, but is rather ready to accept the prodigal person's apology.
Now here's a question: would you be able to forgive someone who killed someone dear to you? After some thought, a true hero would.

Then comes HOPE.

Hope is that feeling you get every morning that makes the sunshine even more beautiful. It's the anticipation for something great no matter what happens in the world. "Every cloud has a silver lining" after all, which means that there is bound to be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Woke up late? Failed in Math? Forgot your umbrella in time for the storm? A hero knows that somewhere, there is something great bound to be waiting after all these.
A meteor is predicted to crash into Earth, destroying everything known to man? Hopefully not.

Lastly, PERSEVERANCE.

Perseverance is something that most of us lack, but trust me, we all need a pinch of this. I mean, what's the use of courage, love and hope if you're too lazy to use them and prefer to sit in your comfy couch? "Patience is a virtue." A hero doesn't complain about the pile of work given to him, but rather he expects more to be given to him, no matter how long the work may take. This is because after all the tiresome labor, one gets that refreshing taste of accomplishment, and nothing beats that kind of reward.
(Who knows, there may be a cash prize waiting. Hard work really pays off.)

But before I end this, what is a hero, anyway?

A hero is one who shows unfathomable courage against his foe. He is one who cares for and respects his fellow man. A hero is anyone who aspires for achievement. He wears a smile and bears it.
A hero need not save mankind from doom; just the will to make a change is enough.

Courage. Love. Hope. Perseverance.
These are all the superpowers you need to be a hero.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is an exercise article with the theme "Christmas Amidst the Crisis"
Nov. 28, 2009

CHRISTMAS CAROLING

"On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: five golden rings! Four calling birds, three french hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree..."
That's a lot of gifts, huh? And quite classy as well. (Five golden rings?! Wow!)

It is customary for us Filipinos to celebrate Christmas extravagantly, going as far as decorating our houses as early as mid-August, hosting monito-monitas all throughout December, organizing Christmas parties and family reunios, and feasting on the traditional quezo de bola, fruit salads and sweet ham on Noche Buena or Christmas Eve.

But this year, it seems that Christmas is losing its touch. Houses aren't even lit in Christmas cheer until the start of December, only schools host monito-monitas or exchange gifts only on a week-by-week schedule, families don't even bother planning reunions, and the traditional cheese ball, fruit salad and sweet ham are absent in the Noche Buena table. It's not because we Filipinos are getting lazy, but rather our country is in catastrophe.

"Hark the herald angels sing!" But it's not for the glory of our newborn king. The heavens have sent the signs, and we are left to decipher them, for everywhere it seems our eye could reach, chaos and havoc embrace the scene.
In Maguindanao, there poured liters of tears. Bullets rained down and splashed in a sea of blood as the grim reaper feasted on fifty-seven civilian souls. It's political mayhem for Datu Unsay Mayor Andal Ampatuan Jr. as he is the prime suspect for the massacre which also lead to the brutal death of the wife of the head of the rivaling clan Mangundadatu. It was hell for the families of the victims as they had their loved ones torn away from them even before Christmas could start. Even for the media, it's a publicity mess, as a total of eighteen journalists have been killed just because they knew too much. The Philippines topped the charts as the most dangerous place for journalists because of this.

"It came upon a midnight clear, that glorious song of old," when in the oceans brewed a series of storms that terrorized all of Luzon. Although Ondoy, Pepeng, Quedan, Ramil, Santi and Tino have all been history, and Urduja is mum about the rainfall, those who have perished in the flood still have not recovered. Quezon City is still a wreck, Manila and Marikina are still in shock, and Provident Village is still dead!

"Whenever I see boys and girls selling lanterns on the streets," Jose Mari Chan may remember a child in a manger as he sleeps, but I remember poverty. Almost 28 million Filipinos are starving, sleeping in piles of scrap metal and wood, breathing air that's conditioned by exhaust fumes from passing vehicles. Children go as far as selling lanterns in the streets just to live a hand-to-mouth existence. For crying out loud, they're just kids! Our beloved Pearl of the Orient is one of the poorest nations to date.

But "dashing through the snow in a one-horse open sleigh, o'er the hills we go laughing all the way." No matter how cold the snowy terrain of the hardships in life get, and even if we're riding an open sleigh with only one horse to pull us through the blizzards, us Filipinos laugh at the face of danger and cross the path with a cheesy grin, especially in the Christmas air. This is because we cannot deny that December 25th will always land in the calendar, so what better reason do we have than to celebrate the birth of the Mesiah? Because the trials and hardships in life is easy to conquer, as long as we trust ourselves, our Lord God and the Christmas breeze.

And that the season doesn't need to be celebrated in grandeur fashion - all we need are the gifts from the fifth day of Christmas:
Five golden rings that is our family, four calling birds that is our neighbor, three french hens that is good health, two turtle doves that is our true friends and a partridge in a pear tree that is the unity and shelter we share in the spirit of Christmas.
And of course, the truth that Christmas is always in our hearts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'll post more articles, as soon as I'm through with the training for the regionals competition in this category... and as soon as I find my compilation. ^_^
>^o.~^<

Re: thumbs up to the youth, the Pinoy pride and Christmas! XD

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:14 am

These two articles were really enjoyable to read.

We have heroes present in our midst. Sad thing is that they seem to be overshadowed the sad events that happen to us, resulting of loss of faith to our kind and shit. Those fucking emos. I'd punch them in the throat if I have the chance to. Even some of us looked down at each other, there are others who continue striving for something better than what is being thrown at them. I know they'll reach their dreams. Like what Penaflorida did. What dedication! We need more people more like him. Or Jose Rizal. :P

It's very interesting how you play memorable lines from old Christmas and liken to the real situations here in our hometown. It's a fact that we still smile or laugh at our mishaps. It's better than hanging yourself with a noose. Even I do it from time to time.

One of these days, we'd be kicking ass and taking names. What we need now is to slap those emos faces and let them remember that there is light at the end of this shitty tunnel.

I had fun reading your article. Hope you continue being inspired.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Re: thumbs up to the youth, the Pinoy pride and Christmas! XD

Postby mya0cine » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:50 am

Kusang_Manalo wrote:These two articles were really enjoyable to read.

We have heroes present in our midst. Sad thing is that they seem to be overshadowed the sad events that happen to us, resulting of loss of faith to our kind and shit. Those fucking emos. I'd punch them in the throat if I have the chance to. Even some of us looked down at each other, there are others who continue striving for something better than what is being thrown at them. I know they'll reach their dreams. Like what Penaflorida did. What dedication! We need more people more like him. Or Jose Rizal. :P

It's very interesting how you play memorable lines from old Christmas and liken to the real situations here in our hometown. It's a fact that we still smile or laugh at our mishaps. It's better than hanging yourself with a noose. Even I do it from time to time.

One of these days, we'd be kicking ass and taking names. What we need now is to slap those emos faces and let them remember that there is light at the end of this shitty tunnel.

I had fun reading your article. Hope you continue being inspired.

thanks much! yup, I truly believe that our country will rise from the storms if we just persevere and believe in ourselves.
>^o.~^<

Return to Literature