Grids - Talisman (GRIDS WILL RETURN)

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Griddles' new series - Part One: Talisman

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:35 am

Moar liek sick-half-baked-fics, amirite?

ON TOPIC (srsly):

Now, I'm sure that's Sora (not the guy from KH). I still don't have the slightest idea of what that pendant is... Does anyone any cartoon that a character has trinket most precious (or will cause him to die when it's gone)?
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Next-Gen. » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:27 am

Man what I miss in a few day's.

Anyway I believe I know who this MGX is. Buuuuut, this is getting too fun to watch. :grin:
Name: NG
Griddles wrote:I'm a sadistic bastard :P

Word's, spoken from the master.

Postby bob-dude » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:27 pm

For whatever reason that broach equals a magic girl in my mind. :? And I mean those crappy Japanese ones.
Paolini: Characters are born of necessity

Griddles: Well you know I am sadistic... I'll only kill a character when their purpose is served.

Postby J-Dude » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:59 pm

bob-dude wrote:For whatever reason that broach equals a magic girl in my mind. :? And I mean those crappy Japanese ones.

Bob Dude, are you going to acknowledge what I said, or just ignore me?
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:16 pm

Next-Gen. wrote:Man what I miss in a few day's.

Anyway I believe I know who this MGX is. Buuuuut, this is getting too fun to watch. :grin:

Yeah. One thing's for sure, this one doesn't have scissors.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Seiryuga » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:04 pm

I think Bobdude is here mainly to "mooch" off griddles' success when it comes to fanfiction writing.

Much like, how Griddles, like to mooch off Bleedman's initial ideas about bell being a gynoid.

Nothing is wrong with that...that is UNTIL, you get a big humongous head, and think you're story is better than the original creator's story.

Now, So far, from what I glimpse over at Bob's fiction/drawing/any kind of artistic talent. Is NOT VERY GOOD.

So really, if I'm in Griddles' spot, I would not pay attention to a troll that comes in here, and pretty much don't know what he's talking about.

Oh as far as ideas goes, NAKED FIGHT! HUARR!!
copyrights are a bitch ain't it?

Postby Q.U. » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:07 pm

Oh as far as ideas goes, NAKED FIGHT! HUARR!!

You mean naked fight of who versus who? Gin vs Lic?
Those two would even match for a 69...

PS
Somebody get me a proper picture of Sora, because all I can google is that KH idiot.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Shadowed State of Mind » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:14 pm

You know, I was tempted to show you every pic of this kid Matt drew, but since the newer readers have yet to check the title cover for this thing...

http://griddles.deviantart.com/art/Sora ... c-26630358
http://griddles.deviantart.com/art/Sora ... i-22617125
http://griddles.deviantart.com/art/Swim ... a-24185378

In b4 old. Seriously, circa 2005.
The Life and Times of Shad Staydamind PPG fic; finished. part 1/3
Dual Minds Think Alike PPGD fic, part 2/3; finished (trilogy is on an indefinite hiatus)
Hidden Angels Original, ongoing fiction. (also hiated. Stupid college!)

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:32 am

Soo that's her, huh?

Wonder why there are silhouettes of BC and Bubbles...? :/
Not-an-animator

Postby GridsNaranek » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:37 am

My art so totally sucked back then...
Bloodsguar Studios member

WE ARE ALL GRIDS

Postby Q.U. » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:48 am

Wonder why there are silhouettes of BC and Bubbles...?

You failed to notice Blossom?
I suppose it is some sort of foreshadowing, lest it's been drawn just for size comparison before Grids decided to add her into the story. But if he knew back then already, then it could show what her "side" in the story will be. Unless the shadowed figures are just some evil copies to do her bidding, you never know with that.

And now I know, Shad knows whole Grid's gallery like his own. :>
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby GridsNaranek » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:53 am

And Shad knows my girls (particularly Bree) inside and out.

(Inside joke there)

WE ARE ALL GRIDS

Postby Seiryuga » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:01 am

Griddles wrote:My art so totally sucked back then...

And still sucking today.

Postby bob-dude » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:25 am

J dude: Rather not get into a flame war I know I'm going to lose, so for the most part I'm trying not to get myself into corners I'm going to regret. So I try to the most part to ignore certain comments I see and NOT get into some big old mess I'll regret latter down the road. But you are right in that I need to stop beating dead horses with sticks, so I'm moving on.

Seir: I'm assuming you mean naked FEMALES a the very, right? o.O And also, you left out God king of Trolls. :mrgreen: (FYI, joking)
Paolini: Characters are born of necessity

Griddles: Well you know I am sadistic... I'll only kill a character when their purpose is served.

Postby Seiryuga » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:34 am

bob-dude wrote:J dude: Rather not get into a flame war I know I'm going to lose, so for the most part I'm trying not to get myself into corners I'm going to regret. So I try to the most part to ignore certain comments I see and NOT get into some big old mess I'll regret latter down the road. But you are right in that I need to stop beating dead horses with sticks, so I'm moving on.

Seir: I'm assuming you mean naked FEMALES a the very, right? o.O And also, you left out God king of Trolls. :mrgreen: (FYI, joking)

Oh I see so you're admitting that you don't know what you're talking about hence why any of your artistic attempts winds up failing?

FYI, I'm not joking, you are seriously pretty horrible.

Postby Q.U. » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:20 am

Nothing better than motivation... :p

And still sucking today.

Wanted to ask if by that he implied that his drawing had improved greatly by now, but I assume with my skill I am in no position to be pointing that out. Don't want to be a hypocrite.
But all in all, for one who knows how to show with words, drawing becomes obsolete. Right?

Postby GridsNaranek » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:21 am

Here's a profile shot of our new girl, courtesy of Seir.

WE ARE ALL GRIDS

Postby Seiryuga » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:33 am

Q.U. wrote:

Nothing better than motivation... :p

And still sucking today.

Wanted to ask if by that he implied that his drawing had improved greatly by now, but I assume with my skill I am in no position to be pointing that out. Don't want to be a hypocrite.
But all in all, for one who knows how to show with words, drawing becomes obsolete. Right?

Not necessarily, you can write it out as detailed as you can, it won't have the same effect as an actual illustration of that scene.

an image will always be more powerfull than words that describe that scene. Take a newspaper to an actual news broadcasted footage.

And I'm sure to those pervs in here, any scene where the girls have nothing on, you all would prefer an image than just Griddles' words now would u? :P

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:55 am

Griddles wrote:Here's a profile shot of our new girl, courtesy of Seir.

Obviously, the eyes weren't the part that wasn't rushed.

He he "Katara" braids. lol
Not-an-animator

Postby J-Dude » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:33 am

@Bob-Dude: Well, if you really mean that, then good. Mind though, I'm going to hold you to your word here. Also just a note, it's better in everyone's eyes to bow out of a possible fight early than to ignore them. I'm glad you decided not to continue ignoring. And also, I really wasn't looking for a flame war, and really, I was willing to consider your ideas if you had them, but I just wanted to be sure you actually based the opinions you express here off of something that actually exists that follows your standard, rather than merely pointing out the qualities that characters in these stories DON'T have, that might not exist elsewhere either. I was willing to let you prove me wrong, if of course, you were right.

@QU: Words are great, but they count for more than double if you can express them visually as well. In all honesty, the human mind, as Seir mentioned, interprets visual stimuli better than it would for literature. It's how we're geared. Words, even, are visual symbols that we've created and learned to decipher into thoughts and ideas, but that's as far as it can go, because you have to imagine the rest. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's not as powerful a stimuli and doesn't convey a description half as well as a visual representation of it will. It's why movies and television have become so popular, and previously why the written word became used less. Not these days of course; in the age of the Internet, we've swung around to include healthy doses of both flavors out of necessity, because there's no way to organize so much information in an orderly matter in a purely visual or audible way. It would overwhelm anyone.

So scholars and bookworms and college professors at UCLA may frown on our "addiction" to movies and TV, but trying to say we are at FAULT for this goes as far as to ask humanity to feel ashamed of itself for being exactly what it is. We're visual creatures and we're naturally drawn to visual stimuli; it's not our fault we prefer it over literature, which is, as mentioned, a medium that is two degrees of separation from an optimum stimulation.
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Q.U. » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:37 am

Not necessarily, you can write it out as detailed as you can, it won't have the same effect as an actual illustration of that scene.

A double-edged sword, or such an argument that is. Obviously, words cannot make a clearer and more detailed picture of a scene than a painting/drawing. But it works exactly the opposite way for some other things, that an image, no matter how emotional and deep, will have a hard time presenting. Whilst words can grasp it all. Think of making a picture that would represent internal struggles and a moral dilemma of a character, while the character attempts to keep an untouched outer expression during this heated battle of emotions stirring up inside him. How can you represent thoughts with images only? It becomes primitive. Neither words nor pictures can give away all perfectly without cooperation. Hence comics/movies are easier as a medium to transfer the thoughts of the author.

It's why movies and television have become so popular, and previously why the written word became used less.

Ever seen a "good" movie without words? Both those written and spoken? What do you think it is? When I write a word it's like a picture of what the word represents. And if you draw a person with a speech bubble you're not using just a picture! You're using words all the time. A picture alone, with no letters/words or anything else connected to Lexus, is as poor of a medium as alphabet.
Both picture and words are one degree away from optimum. And that degree is half of the distance between them. The optimum uses words and images fluently, like a movie/comic. And don't say that comic is a medium exactly the same as a picture, cause that is bullshit. A comic contains WORDS, and a movie contains the sounds that represent WORDS, without those in both of those media they would both suck deeply, don't you think? A word is nothing else than a picture of a thought. Those straight and curved lines that form letters out of which a word is built they are all ENCODED VISUAL stimuli. So you might say a writer, doesn't write. He simply draws in a different style. Whether you make a picture of a roasted chicken or write "roasted chicken" those are both visual representations of one and the same. The only medium above those two, is a medium that would beat even those two combined, like in a case of a movie. And that is thought. Once we've learned telepathy, it would become the optimum medium, since it is 100% precise, and never vague. But until that happens, all we have are pictures of thoughts, either those drawn to represent the visual image, or those that encode it as a word.

He he "Katara" braids.

Her shirt just couldn't be any shorter, right?

Postby Thy_Robocop » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:58 pm

So, finally we get to see who this mysterious blonde girl is...

I was just wandering: from what I have seen in Griddles' gallery, Sora belongs to MidoriChii who happens to be a banned DeviantArt user. May I ask who she is, and why she got banned, or does that bring up bad memories?
“How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?” Sherlock Holmes
"In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming." Lovecraft
"It's incredible how the human mind can devise such simple explanations to the things it doesn't understand, just to avoid looking at the terrible bigger picture that is the truth. Unfortunately, that won't help them when it comes knocking at the door." Alyssa Gillespine

Check out my (still ongoing) short stories here on Snafu or on my DeviantArt Account .

Postby Q.U. » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:13 pm

I found a real version of that Sora...

Postby Next-Gen. » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:44 pm

hmm, this all kinda remind's me of 3 famous saying's (from what i hear).

1. A man is only as big as the attention he gets. If he gives, he gets nothing unless given More.

2. There's 2 road's ahead, but the journey is not complete without taking Both.

3. Shut up bob.
Name: NG
Griddles wrote:I'm a sadistic bastard :P

Word's, spoken from the master.

Postby GridsNaranek » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:54 pm

THAT'S who those braids reminded me of when I made 'em. How could I forget Katara?

MidoriChii made a far different version of Sora with a completely different story and personality. She later on handed the character over to me as she was no longer interested in developing her, and I made the Sora you see now. I'm afraid she isn't gonna be able to read this story.

She died :(

WE ARE ALL GRIDS

PreviousNext

Return to Literature