Ruxan's Art Thread

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Ruxan's Art Thread

Postby Ruxan Kikilin » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Thought about making an art thread and hey, why not!

--
Might mostly post up sketches though. And their colored version if I'm in the mood.
Last edited by Ruxan Kikilin on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 13 times in total.
dA
o -o

Re: Ruxan's Art Thread

Postby Sig Skellington » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Wow, this looks great! Well done. Looking forward to seeing what you bring to the Art Forum.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby stooie74 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:59 am

*GASP* A FAIRY! :mrgreen:
That is a fairy right? Oh its so lovely! I love it so much!
Heres my DA page if you want to check it out > http://xstooiex.deviantart.com/

Postby Cerulean » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:19 am

Humanized Bellossom???? She's beautiful, the entire drawing is beautiful! Looking forward to more c:

also, welcome to the Art Forum :D
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Ruxan Kikilin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Sigment wrote:

Thanks! Hopefully a lot more than one picture, haha.

stooie74 wrote:

Cerulean wrote:

No, haha. I got inspiration from this character from Sonic X. So humanized Bellossom was a good guess, and she does look quite fairy like.

But she looks too different to be fanart help I dunno how to make fan aaaaaaart.

--

Also, here's a little plant-y imp thing. Just a coloring and masking practice, so no story behind this little fella.

dA
o -o

Postby Cerulean » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Ooooh, it's been a while since I've seen Sonic X, completely forgot about Cosmo (which is very sad considering...).

I really like the way the lighting is done here.
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Varspool » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:13 pm

Oh wow your art is really lovely and cute!
I like the shading, it's smooth and neat. c:
Show me the color of your credits.

Postby Ruxan Kikilin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:29 am

Thank you both for the comments!

Here's another imp/pixie thingy creature.

dA
o -o

Postby Ruxan Kikilin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:58 am

WIP

Pixels are a little jagged, but it's ok. That shit ain't there in the full picture! It's a commission for someone who won a...well, commission from me. With virtual currency. Yaaaaay...? YAY!

Been spending a few days on it, and thought I should share since I put a fuck-ton of work in it. Wanted to just say 'ah screw this, hey person here's your refund because I dunno what I'm doing l ols'. Because damn it took a lot of crying, rolling on the floor, and saying 'why can't I do anything riiiight' before I got that point right up there. Actually, I didn't do any of that...But I have thought about giving up multiple times. Because I suuuuuuuck so bad.

Ok not that bad. Just bad enough I doubt myself sometimes. Or a lot of the times.

Just wondering: is my shit worth money? Well, not my poo-poo, but the stuff I draw. Because I've been just kind of selling my stuff for virtual currency on another website because I feel like I'm not good enough to be earning real cash for it. And too obscure to be getting asked commissions...
dA
o -o

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:45 am

I just noticed the cherry pixie thing :3
It's so cute!

Also, if people are paying, why not? xD
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:47 am

Ruxan Kikilin wrote: Wanted to just say 'ah screw this, hey person here's your refund because I dunno what I'm doing l ols'. Because damn it took a lot of crying, rolling on the floor, and saying 'why can't I do anything riiiight' before I got that point right up there. Actually, I didn't do any of that...But I have thought about giving up multiple times. Because I suuuuuuuck so bad.

Ok not that bad. Just bad enough I doubt myself sometimes. Or a lot of the times.

Just wondering: is my shit worth money? Well, not my poo-poo, but the stuff I draw. Because I've been just kind of selling my stuff for virtual currency on another website because I feel like I'm not good enough to be earning real cash for it. And too obscure to be getting asked commissions...
You just described my last four months. We are alike in allot of ways. Let's be friends, or even, dare I say, "Frienemies" ? (It just sounds so much cooler that the word friends)
I am the MISSINGNO
Current world record holder for the longest case of the sniffles.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Ruxan Kikilin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:35 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:

Haha. Thanks!

And hm… Maybe I should give a go at it! But then there comes the question how much? I was thinking of using that virtual currency as a starting point. But if I did, then I’d be setting my stuff for like some 60¢ or something. Yeah I think I need to stop drawing for virtual coin…

ari-6 wrote:

Ah. We all go through it. You will eventually swim out of it and be self-doubt no more! Or resume being stuck in it like meeee. But since we’re both in it, how about we help each other a little more than harm? Like, more friends than enemies in the frienemies equation? Haha. We can start by ripping our works to shreds, and then piecing them back together with crits, techniques, and maybe a few patches of duct tape?

--

Also, here’s a Madoka sketch

dA
o -o

Postby stooie74 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:59 pm

I just love your little creatures! They are so cute and colorful <3
Heres my DA page if you want to check it out > http://xstooiex.deviantart.com/

Postby ari-6 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:25 pm

You may not know this.... I mean I don't talk about it very often, but I am a little bit ABSOLUTELY OBSESSED WITH MADOKA! not that anyone would know because I don't mention it that often. And what's more I surely love when I find new people who also like it. It has been on my brain very much recently, can't wait for the new movie. So freaking excited!

Are you planning to do anything with that, or just a sketch?
I am the MISSINGNO

Postby Hallow Nova » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Meanwhile Ari's avatar stares out into the world. :3
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby OrangeBee » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:26 pm

The art im seeing is great, i love how the colors mix togethr perfectly
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
ShitPoster

Postby Ruxan Kikilin » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks Stooie! I rather like making them since they're easy to make, color, and I don't have to worry too much about their anatomy. Haha. Glad you like them!

Haha. Ari's avatar's always staring into the world, Tenshi. ; w;

Thank you Orange! They mix together well because I abuse the brush opacity very very very often. And force the colors to be friendly with each other.

Oh yeah! The third movie's coming out soon on DVD or something, right Ari? I saw it in theaters and it's pretty good. I don't want to say much about it because oh boy there's quite a bit of spoilers, haha. Madoka's been on my mind a lot lately as well, but that's what I get for listening to a few covers of the intro, outro, and some background music on loop for a few days. I also have a mini Homura figurine, a Charlotte phone charm, and a grief seed charm...Yeah I think I really like the show a liiiittle too much. Haha...I really want a Kyubey plushie, but he costs too much. Someday! Maybe I should try my hand at making one. And maybe a Charlotte plushie too...

An yes! I'm going somewhere with the sketch. Here's a really rough coloring.
dA
o -o

Postby ari-6 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:03 am

You ........ saw it.............at the cinema?! Words cannot express the amount of jelly that currently constitutes my being. The only places to see it in my country were in three indie cinemas. One of which is located in my home town. AND I WAS NO WHERE NEAR MY HOME TOWN TO WATCH IT!!!!!!!!

And a correction on what was said by Tenshi and yourself. My avatar does not stare into the world........ It stares into your soul

I have been trying to save myself for a version of the film that has better quality than a phone camera. Difficult considering all the internet seems determined to spoil it for me. The only twist that has been spoiled (probably the biggest one) is Homura going all "Black Swan". Oh but once I see that movie, I know exactly what I am going to change my avatar to
viewtopic.php?p=3446827#p3446827
I am the MISSINGNO

Postby Ruxan Kikilin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:38 pm

Aw darn. That sucks. : <

Well, the releases date for the third movie on disc is April 2nd of this year, so hang in there! Just dodge a few more spoilers for a few more months! ; w; Or say fuck it and just spoil yourself silly and watch the movie anyways XD I think for some people spoilers would make them enjoy the movie more. But you know, depends.

--

Here's the WIP of Madoka because I don't want to see her face for a while. So she'll remain unfinished for a while until I can get my creative wits back or something.

--

And here's a finished Kyubey just 'cause.

dA
o -o

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:40 pm

D'aaaawwww
How can a little girl say no to that? :3
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby YesterdaysLingo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Contract!?!
lol

good stuff rux, keep it up c: .
Flerp flerps

Location: That one place where those people live. You know the one.

Postby Cerulean » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Oooh very nice job.

I like how you let her keep her pigtails despite looking somewhat older here.

Also, stop looking so cute Kyubey :c
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:21 am

Ruxan Kikilin wrote:Just wondering: is my shit worth money? Well, not my poo-poo, but the stuff I draw. Because I've been just kind of selling my stuff for virtual currency on another website because I feel like I'm not good enough to be earning real cash for it. And too obscure to be getting asked commissions...

Yeah, you could definitely sell some commissions. Your coloring is easily up to par. Your lineart is really smooth too. Test the waters and start out with $3 and $5 dollar commissions. And if that goes well, you can always up the price as you feel and add more ordering options. The professionals on DA charge up to $35-$60 for full body character designs, or otherwise full image commissions. Least that I've seen *shrug* That and majority of commissions that get requested are OC's. A lot character designs, and I'm gonna say majority of them tend to be furries. Go on Furcadia and you can milk that cash cow for a lot .__. I say this simply out of watching other people on DA do their thing.

The only problem with commissions is like...
The hour to dollar ratio is insanely low. $35, or even at $60 for a full commission usually takes an artist anywhere of 8-10 hours. (it varies of course) So I'd think it over before offering commissions :< It really ain't all that great.
Do you have the preparedness to tell a lie? How is it?
Look, you're becoming sleepy.

My writings

People ruin all things to the point good and evil can't even exist.
In the depth of humanity, what I saw a terribly cold dream.
Looking Forward.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:38 am

Never before has a furry creature inspired so much hatred. Good job!
I am the MISSINGNO

Postby Ruxan Kikilin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:10 am

@Cerulean : Madoka ain't Madoka without her pigtails! But without them, I suppose she's still Madoka...

Glad you guys like the little Kyubey!

@ Sly: Thanks! I'll give it a go. Although honestly, I'm not expecting much. A big factor on that is that I'm practically a nobody and like you said, my art's par. Not much about it stands out. Not bad mouthing your complement or anything, it means a quite a bit to me, so thank you.

I would give it a go at Furcadia, but I'm very very rusty on drawing furries, haha. Don't think I can do them justice for actual money, at least not yet. But yes, I suppose I should go and cast out some bait. Won't know what happens until I try.

--

Nothing finished this time. Here's a sketch of a character reference. Hope you guys don't mind a camera image... Scanner's too big of a hassle to deal with.

dA
o -o

Next

Return to Art