Comic resolution/aspect ratio

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Comic resolution/aspect ratio

Postby Bug » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:43 am

Hello everyone!

I'm thinking I'll start drawing/writing my own comic soon and I have a question. What are the standard sizes if you are planning to take it to a publisher? I mean I googled around and I found out that there are different standards for the US and Europe. Is there a sort of universal one, like leaving a bit more border in the bigger one? Exactly how much space should I leave around it, should I put it in the middle or have it arranged closer to one of the sides? Be advised I'm from a country that uses the metric system (Hungary). I think the best would be if you guys tell me in pixels. Thank you! ^^
Power Knowledge Inspiration

Re: Comic resolution/aspect ratio

Postby ari-6 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:36 am

My final project in college was to make a comic and have it printed. But I drew all the pages in A4 and that was not one of the sizes the company printed in. So I had to go through and adjust every page. If there is a specific company or publisher you are thinking of the find out before what is there standard size. If not then the only thing you can do is draw on the standard A4/A3 or what ever the standard is in hungry and if it were to be accepted, I think they would just ask you to adjust it or maybe they would do it themselves.
Do you plan to share concept art or initial drafts with us here on snafu?
I am the MISSINGNO
Current world record holder for the longest case of the sniffles.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Bug » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:46 pm

Well, no specific publishers in mind, I'd be happy if someone accepts it ^^"
Perhaps I share some stuff, until than, I recommend my Tumblr page linked in my signature if you are interested in my style.
Oh also, this might be a bit of topic, but how should I send it to publishers? With watermark or perhaps just a few pages with a synopsis?
Also, HungAry! >< (lol, j/k, I'm pretty sure that at some point I made fun of almost every country xD)
Power Knowledge Inspiration

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:17 pm

I think it would vary on the publisher- as it would depend on how they do it. Ka-Blam! printing is one online source where as long as you have your pages on the computer and in one of a few certain format types- they'll adjust the pages for you.

http://ka-blam.com/printing/front/

If it's not what you're looking for- they still have lots of FAQ's that might help you figure things out. I believe it's an America company, but I don't know if that makes too much of a difference.
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Postby ari-6 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Bug wrote:Well, no specific publishers in mind, I'd be happy if someone accepts it ^^"
Perhaps I share some stuff, until than, I recommend my Tumblr page linked in my signature if you are interested in my style.
Oh also, this might be a bit of topic, but how should I send it to publishers? With watermark or perhaps just a few pages with a synopsis?
I would choose a publisher (or several) and call them. Arrange a meeting and show them the finished product or maybe just a few finished pages and a very detailed final draft. Take a portfolio also, just to be safe.
I am the MISSINGNO
Current world record holder for the longest case of the sniffles.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Return to Art