Stuff drawn by a Mutt (Update: Wha...?)

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Stuff drawn by a Mutt (Update: Wha...?)

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:01 pm

Fallowing the advice of some other guys on this site I decided to open this little thing here to share some drawings I did. Opinions and comments are welcome.

Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup: Age 12
I was going for a more human look to the girls while also trying to stay close to the original "puff" look from the show. This was my first attempt at that.

Bubbles: The Best Part of the job
A little picture of Bubbles rescuing an old man from a burning building. Bubbles' isn't trying to be darker here with the Punisher shirt. I just though it would be funny and cute if she was into the Punisher comics.

Teenaged Scootaloo in a Post Apocalyptic Future:
Title says it all folks.
And it should surprise no one that the PPG fan is also a pony fan.
Last edited by Mad-Mutt on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:01 am, edited 15 times in total.
Bark

Re: Stuff drawn by a Mutt

Postby Morpheus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:08 am

You need to work on your anatomy and proportions.
Things like arms and legs seem like your trying to hide them under heavy clothing to hide your lack of knowledge.
Same with hands.
With clothing you need to study folds.
Don't just guess them or put lines where you think they would be.
Finally study lighting and color values.
Your colors look very muddy because most of your colors are of a close value.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks for stating you opinions.
I still have a ways to go with my skills.
Everything you've mentioned I am studying though. It takes me a while to get things down though.
I also like to draw heavy clothing and its not just a cheat. Some of my favorite things to draw is winter wear, but you do have a point and I should work on them to make them look better. My style is also highly cartoon inspired so I'm trying to find just the right balance.
As for the coloring, I use to work mainly in black and white and color is still something I'm getting use to.

Also, your icon looks familiar, who is that?
Bark

Postby Morpheus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:42 pm

Mad Hattie, from Death: the high cost of living.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:06 pm

I remember reading that after reading Sandman. It was pretty cool.
Bark

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Something a little newerish:

Marcy and Simon (Ice King) from Adventure Time which is probably my favorite out of all the newer cartoon shows.

The background isn't very interesting, probably because I didn't picture this one with a background and it was just an after thought.

I tried to do this in a style different from the show's while also trying to put in elements of the show's style. I think I should have just went with one style and stuck with it, but it came out looking better than I thought it would... I think.
Bark

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:32 am

Decided to play around with Him (the PPG villain) a little. Mostly just me messing around with the character and trying to make something freaky looking. Originally he was going to have a second mouth on his belly, but I thought it would be going to far.

And yes, he is wearing a skirt in this drawing. Why? Because its Him, I think the only time he wore pants in the original show was when he was dressing as a train conductor.

Bark

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:35 am

A little picture I drew of the PPG hanging out on a building. Bubbles is doing the "I'm not touching you" thing.

I decided to go back to the more human look of how I draw the PPG for this one. Mostly because a lot of my older human looking PPG drawings looked a bit too serious so I decided to lighten things up a little.

Usually I try to make my drawings a little cartoony and not go for total realism, but for this I tried to make them look at human as I could. I'm more use to drawing silly little cartoon characters so its going to take some time before I get a more realistic look to... look right. It did turn out look better than I thought it would.

Yes, I'm aware they look like tomboys in this.

Bark

Postby Morpheus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:57 pm

It looks better better and I do like that you're using a more open environment.
Now I would suggest avoiding the dodge, burn and smudge tool when making anything realistic.
Also, play around with your line weight.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:59 am

Morpheus wrote:It looks better better and I do like that you're using a more open environment.
Now I would suggest avoiding the dodge, burn and smudge tool when making anything realistic.
Also, play around with your line weight.

Thanks for the tips, I'm still trying to improve myself.
Bark

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:18 pm

For this next post its only going to be my older stuff. Otherwise it would take a lot more days before I would make a new post if I stuck to my newer drawings. If anyone cares, your still welcome to share your honest opinion on it.

Flame Princess: Heart of Fire:

Venomshy aka holy crap this is an old drawing:

Bubbles and Him: Cold Shoulder:

Snake Man:

Eye See:

Fluttershy meets Slenderman:
Last edited by Mad-Mutt on Fri May 24, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bark

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:28 pm

The slenderman one amuses me. I think its always good to look at what you have done in the past. It helps see how far you've come and how effective your improvements have been.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:45 pm

These first two are sort of newerish drawings and the other ones are kind of oldish.

Faster! Faster! (New):

The Princess and the Dragon (Newish):

Can You Stand On Your Head (old):

Little Marcy (old):
Bark

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Didn't you post the one with Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo in the MLP thread?
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Why? Is that bad? If it is I'll just remove it.
It take me a while to finish some drawings so I'm posting stuff in here that I drew from before to avoid the thread from getting too slow. I heard that threads that don't gets posts too often are closed down.
Bark

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:Why? Is that bad? If it is I'll just remove it.

Pfft. By Adun's left ass cheek, no. It's perfectly fine. I thought I recognize it from somewhere.

Mad-Mutt wrote:I heard that threads that don't gets posts too often are closed down.

Hmm, no. We generally let them sink. the only time a Art thread or a Literature thread gets locked is by request or a serious necro.

However, if you want people to keep following you, somewhat consistent updates are a good idea.
Mercypostle

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:09 pm

Okay, thanks for letting me know, BL.
Last edited by Mad-Mutt on Sun May 05, 2013 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bark

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:04 pm

I wasn't sure if I was going to post this here, but its been in my devaintart gallery for a while. The reason I didn't know if I was going to post it here is because this is oc stuff instead of fanart and I have no idea if anyone would give a damn.
Oh well, here's some ocs of mine. They don't really have back stories and most of them are the products of me just doodling out some characters:

Zoey: The blonde girl in black in the center who seems to be conjuring the forces of darkness.

Recker: The guy with black hair right next to Zoey.

Frank: The big monster.

Jason: The angry looking talking head.

Nathen: The green monster guy.

Sir James: The big eyed monster dude with the antenna.

Kimmy: The red head in one of Frank's... tentacles... That wasn't meant to be a weird as it sounds...

Charlie: The flying creature in the back. By the way Charlie's a girl.

Nobi: The black haired girl on Frank's back.
Bark

Postby Brax4 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Impressive stuff. All of that really holds true to your style. I also like the monster, I'm a fan of monsters.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:50 pm

Thanks, monsters are always fun to draw for me. It really lets you use your imagination.
Bark

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:19 am

A while ago I asked Askura (or as she's sometimes called now Teacupballerina) if I could draw a little fandom creation of her's by the name of Devil Blossom. I'm not super into the whole Aku/Blossom thing and kind of view it as a goofy little thing on the internet, but Devil Blossom is pretty bad-ass. After showing all these older drawing my next post or two will be something new finally.
So after a few black and white practice runs I made a fully colored version:
(I don't usually post some of my more violent images outside of my Devaintart page. I don't think this is too bad because that's just a monster head. Sorry if this bothers anyone)

Devil Blossom: The Beast -
Bark

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:39 pm

Okay, I decided to practice drawing different kinds of character for the next three drawings. 24 different characters to be exact and I turned to cartoon network for the characters to draw. I also wanted to draw some of these characters. I divided them up into three groups: Heroes, Villains and Neutrals. Some of these characters are first attempts so they may look kind of... sketchy while the ones I have more experience drawing might stand out a lot more.
Anyways here they are:

A group of some of my favorite cartoon heroes.

Blossom: The flying girl with red hair.
Bubbles: The flying blonde.
Buttercup: The flying girl with black hair.
Out of all of these characters, I've no doubt drawn these three the most. I've often been told that the way I draw the girls makes them look a bit like they're boys, but I still disagree with that. I won't doubt they look like tomboys, but I like the way they look. The girls are suppose to be thirteen-years-old here. I know they might look a bit big for their age maybe, but that's the idea. They spend all their time fighting villains and monsters and stopping planes from crashing so they get one heck of a work out.

Samurai Jack: The man in the center with the sword.
I messed around with his outfit and I gave him some facial hair. I figured since I've aged up the girls I might age up the other characters so this is a slightly older Jack. He certainly ages well it seems.

Monkey: The monkey in the superhero outfit.
Aside from slightly darker colors and the fact he's being drawn in a different style I didn't really do much with his pretty simple design.

#3 AKA Kuki: The girl in the green shirt with long black hair.
#4 AKA Wally: The boy in the orange hoodie.
#5 AKA Abby: The girl with the blue shirt and red hat.
#1 AKA Nigel: The bald kid in the black coat.
I liked the KND series and in my opinion its the thrid best show that has ever been on cartoon network. They're apparently the Teens Next Door now though. Yes, that is a real thing, the show has established that their are under cover teen agents who work with the KND and there may even be adult agents as well. I would've put #2 AKA Hogie in this as well, buuut I could only make this picture so big and it came down to either drawing him in or Jenny. I went with Jenny. Lets just assume he's in some sort of airship on his way to pick up the rest of the Sector V. I don't know what made me want to draw Nigel to look like Neo from the Matrix. I kind of wished that I had drawn the other three KND characters in some kind of spy wear instead of slightly modified versions of their original clothing.

Jenny (XJ9) Wakemen: The blue robot girl.
While I have drawn Jenny before, those were older drawings and they were unfinished versions of her with wires hanging out of her and her only having one eye and what-not. I couldn't think of what to do with her eyes so I ended up doing a blue thing. I kind of wished I had something different looking at it, but I don't know.

Cartoon Neutrals.

Grim, Billy and Mandy: The Skelliton and the two kids his tool of the trade.
One's the messanger of death himself (whose also a total wimp). One's an idiot. And ones a possible sociopath. Grim was easy to draw and I did fairly little with Mandy outside of what she wore and looked like in the show. As for Billy... yeah, he looks like a different person. At least I was able to make him act like Billy might. The reason why Billy is so different is mainly because I figured with how I'm drawing the other characers a beady little eyed kid with a small amount of hair and a giant nose would be too... different from the others.

Courage the cowardly dog: The pink dog.
I did kind of want to try to cram Courage into the cartoon heroes drawing seeing how the little guy has defeated aliens, mutants, demons from hell that live inside of beds and all manner of other evil creature all to save his rather... confused owner Mureal... and on occasion Eustace. The main reason I didn't though other than I was just running out of room was because I think that Courage would prefer to remain neutral. That way they little guy could spend more of his time relaxing on his owner's lap in that old wooden rocking chair. I almost tried to draw Courage to look like a normal dog, but the problem with that was I didn't think he would feel like Courage if I did that. So I drew him as close to his original look as I could and it was actually a lot of fun to draw Courage and I really like how he came out for a first attempt.

Hos Delgotto: The red haired guy with the eye patch and chainsaw arm.
The obviously Ash from The Evil Dead series inspired one eyed monster hunter. First time drawing him just like most of these characters.

Johnny Bravo: The guy with blonde Elvis Hair.
Okay, I don't like the way Johnny came out looking. He doesn't look as strong as he does in the show and I wasn't able to give him the more flamboyant pose I wanted to because there was no room. So I had to redraw his pose and... Hopefully if I draw Johnny again he'll come out looking better.

Nergal Junior: The boy with the black tentacles and the coat.
Messed around with Junior for this one a bit. I wanted him to look creepier, but not too creepy. Then again in the very first episode he appeared in he was killing children and hiding their bodies in snowmen while also shape shifting into them. I assume that Grim forgot to reap those kid's should because they all look remarkably well in the very next episode.

Chowder: The purple... whatever.
Seriously what the heck is Chowder? I at first assumed he was a raccoon because of the tail, but I don't know for sure.

Dexter: The red head kid in the white coat.
This one is probably up for grabs. Dexter did do some heroic stuff in the show, but he didn't ever quite seem like a hero to me. At least not all of the time. Come to think of it, did Dexter ever share any of his inventions with the outside world? It all seemed like he was creating these things just for the sake of it. Its been a loooong time since I last watched more than an episode or two of the show so I might be wrong. But like I said I put Dexter in the neutral zone because he didn't seem like a hero to me, with the TV movie being the one exception. But then again I'm the guy who draws the Powerpuff Girls as tough chick tomboys so my views may be kind of warped.

A group of some of my favorite cartoon villains.

Aku: The bad guy in the very center.
I'm more use to drawing Aku when he's acting sillier than usual, but I did try to make him out to be the imposing and commanding figure that he is in the show.

Him: The red-lady-man-thing with the beard, messy makeup, messy hair, claw hands, pink coat and black skirt and boots.
One of the PPG's most powerful enemies (all though he still gets his ass kicked by them just as much as everyone else) Him has never been the type of villain to jump into a brawl. He's more of a trickster villain and every time he has tried to fight the PPG its ended in a rather embarrassing failure. See the episode Para-noia for a good frame of reference. Him has become one of the most famous cartoon villains no doubt due to his rather androgynous nature Either way I actually do kind of enjoy drawing Him in some strange way. I think this is like the forth or so outfit I've also given Him.

Jack-O-Lantern: The guy with the pumpkin head.
As far as I know, he's only appeared in the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy once, but this supernatural troll left a bit of an impression on me.

Mojo: The green faced chimp with the dome on his head.
The arch nemesis of the Powerpuff Girls. Mojo has been described as the best PPG villain because he is at the exact center of the show's villain spectrum. At one end you have the completely evil Him and at the other you have the foolish Ameba Boys. Mojo is right dead center the spectrum, meaning he can be both twisted and evil or silly and funny depending on what is needed. Mojo is a bit of a weird thing for me because of this. I can never decide if I want to draw him in a threatening manor or if I want to make him more cartoony. I usually go for something in between, but I don't think I've hit the mark quite yet.

Father: The guy in literally all black.
This is just a guess, but I've always assumed that black stuff he has on is some kind of flame retardent material designed to protect him from his pyrokinetic abilities.

Mandark: The black hair boy in the white coat.
I was getting tired at this point so I'll admit that I kind of rushed this one and did the most simple pose and look I could do. This was the last of the 24 characters I set out to draw.
Last edited by Mad-Mutt on Sun May 05, 2013 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bark

Postby Saint Soul » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:47 pm

nostalgia tears bro...
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Exodis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Wow, great job on drawing those cartoon charactwrs in your art style. Nicely done.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Live the Lovable Life, Die the Dreadful Death.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Last Savior

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:59 am

Tom E. Gemcity wrote:nostalgia tears bro...

Exodis wrote:Wow, great job on drawing those cartoon characters in your art style. Nicely done

Thanks guys I appreciate the complement.
Bark

Next

Return to Art