Brandun13's art.

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Brandun13's art.

Postby Brandun13 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Hey guys! Just recently got into drawing and this is one of my first! Just tell me what you think.

Here's a second one! Im going to post a one of Nergal J.r soon too.

Last edited by Brandun13 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thirteen

Re: I's Grim J.r!!! Wanna see what you guys think.......

Postby Havoc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:03 am

Not bad, looks okay to me.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:09 am

Brandun13 wrote:Just tell me what you think.

I just need to clarify this because of the amount of people that bitch at me through posts and PMs.
Do you want to know what I think, what I think you can do to improve, or what I think you did good at?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby DaCrum » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:13 am

Hi, I'm not here to give you much of any advice in visual arts as I am not into that sort of thing really. However, your thread title does not conform with the rules of the Art Forum. If you could mend it to fit according to the rules, that would be awesome. Thanks!
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Re: Brandun13's art. (Grim J.r.)

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:48 pm

K. Well, I am not going to be responsible for any bitching that may or may not ensure, suicides, homicides, or abandonment of an art. That being said, we shall now move to the three thoughts of Blood Lord... may God help us all.

Blood Lord wrote:what I think

So what do I think of this? Honestly, there is very much thought to this particular piece. I don't care for it. I really have no idea to why people choose to do fan art of Grim Jr, he isn't very interesting, his design is plain and emotionless. Its like when people draw an elbow, and we will be talking about elbows. Why that? It speaks nothing to me. Are their bad ass pictures of Jr out there that I like? Yes, but they are usually complete, him as a nergal reaper, and colored. He's not Jr in those. Now lets move out of my biased confusion of the topic onto something else.

Blood Lord wrote:what I think you can do to improve

Now at this point, I am going to merely look at design and ignore who you picked.

You did a very, very simple outline of Jr which makes him look flat. I would advise you to look into clothing folds. There should be lines around his elbow where his jacket folds in the inner elbow and indents of where his bone would be pushing against the fabric at that angle. There should be some fold lines around the wrists, pocket (making it look like its more of a part of the jacket then disappearing into it), hood and a few more around the neck. He looks like he has a beer belly instead of a loose jacket. Rigid lines would be a way to produce that, same with the pants. Speaking of the pants, they look rough.

To achieve the visual effect of 3D, you use shading techniques. You making certain things pop out more by giving shadows making it look 3D by optical illusions. They way you placed it, attention is going to be drawn to his head first, you do get some points on that since that is where the most detail is. Proportions look off too. I can't tell how he is standing either. Is he from the side or twisting around to look behind himself?

I know there is a general dislike for going to things on "How to draw" on this site because of the stigma of them teaching you only one way to draw. I disagree with that. I think you should look into such books, learn techniques, style choices, how to do things, and then forge your own. A really good internet one is Mark Crilley on YouTube. He does a ton of anime styled ones, a few realistic, and even has his own book.
Hoodies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WGUinSR_Yo

Blood Lord wrote:what I think you did good at

His hair looks nice.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Brandun13 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:28 pm

ok i see what your saying. i really appreciate all the critisism too. i need some of the constructive critisism at this early stage so thanks for it! : ) thanks for the youtube link as well ima check it out soon.
I picked Grim J.r because i wanted to start off at something simple to be my jumping point you know? and shading isnt my strong point at all. im working on it.
Last edited by Brandun13 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thirteen

Re: Brandun13's art.

Postby Morpheus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Something else you should look into is line weight.
That's how a line appears based on the direction of the light source.
Another thing to keep in mind is not hiding your faults.
Draw the hands and feet even if you can't draw them well.

Postby sexandgummies » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 am

Brandun13 wrote:and shading isnt my strong point at all. im working on it.

You should start with learning to shade more basic things like cubes, cones, spheres etc. instead of figures, which is what you appear to be doing.

That's what I did when learning how to shade, and it helped me a ton.
Pimpslayer

Postby Havoc » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:11 am

Instead of editing the top post, why not just make a new post here every time you've got a new picture to show?
(I don't mean make a new topic/thread.)
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Brandun13 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:15 pm

sexandgummies wrote:
Brandun13 wrote:and shading isnt my strong point at all. im working on it.

You should start with learning to shade more basic things like cubes, cones, spheres etc. instead of figures, which is what you appear to be doing.

That's what I did when learning how to shade, and it helped me a ton.

Hmmmm. Ok that sounds like a good idea actually. Ill try it. Thanks.
Thirteen

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:47 pm

Its also never a bad idea to go to an art class, or if you know an art teacher just ask for some help on things.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Brandun13 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Ok. I'm still in high school and they wouldn't give me the advanced drawing class i wanted this year. :'( I see my art teacher though as much as i can before and after school though so its not all bad.
Thirteen

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:54 am

That's good.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Brandun13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:58 pm

Hey guys sorry its been awhile since i posted anything. My computer really sucks and wouldn't let me click on the submit button..... This isn't shaded i'm working on that...
Thirteen

Return to Art