Blood Studios - Trying to get "ahead" of it all.

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Blood Studios: Valmyria Windstrider (Outline)

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:55 am

This was the original Blood Studios sign. I'm doing some cleaning and was digging through my stuff when I found this. I made it during my mission after failing repetitively to do the blood splatter design that is on the current one.

Re: Blood Studios: Original Blood Studios Logo

Postby YesterdaysLingo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Looks pretty legit
Flerp flerps

Location: That one place where those people live. You know the one.

Re: Blood Studios: Original Blood Studios Logo

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:35 pm

Concept art for a upcoming project of mine. Sadly its a story and not a comic. You do not want to see my background skills.

Re: Blood Studios: Grim Tales from the Surface Above - Minnie

Postby Sigment » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:31 pm

Nice armor. Kinda wish I could wear something like that in Skyrim.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Havoc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:15 am

So Blord, this is the final design? I like it, I like it a lot. My only suggestions here would be to make it slightly more "asymmetrical". But other than that it's perfect. I think it's good to go. I take it you decided not to give her an eye patch. I think you should have, yet at the same time, she looks just as good with both eyes.

What do you mean by "You do not want to see my background skills"? Are you not good at drawing environments?
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigment » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:19 am

Havoc wrote:What do you mean by "You do not want to see my background skills"? Are you not good at drawing environments?

That would be the implication, yes.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:57 am

Havoc wrote:So Blord, this is the final design? I like it, I like it a lot. My only suggestions here would be to make it slightly more "asymmetrical". But other than that it's perfect. I think it's good to go. I take it you decided not to give her an eye patch. I think you should have, yet at the same time, she looks just as good with both eyes.

Yup. That's her final design. It kinda incorporated a little bit of everything that was talked about. You've got armor, leather, a bit of Minnie's flare, and I thought the sliced dress worked very well. I was actually thinking on the symmetricalness of it, especially the top. An idea I had early on to have the Grim skull on one of the shoulder plates instead of as a brooch.

Sigment Kurosai wrote:
Havoc wrote:What do you mean by "You do not want to see my background skills"? Are you not good at drawing environments?

That would be the implication, yes.

I am terrible at doing it. The only thing I'm remotely good at is characters and vehicles. But I haven't drawn a car, or truck, or tank, or a plane for a really long time.

Postby ari-6 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:25 pm

My teacher always says, if you are bad at drawing something then that is even more reason to draw it. At least that is what my teacher says. I just thought it might be good advise. I did not mean to criticise or anything.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Cerulean » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:50 am

I love her armor.

Hmm, Minnie looks a bit older?

Very interesting, I'm looking forward to reading your story c:
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigment » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:14 am

This is awesome. She looks like a young general (which, in anime, happens a lot).

The Resident Smartass

Postby Havoc » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:37 am

Blood Lord wrote:I was actually thinking on the symmetricalness of it, especially the top. An idea I had early on to have the Grim skull on one of the shoulder plates instead of as a brooch.

I kinda like the skull brooch the way it is now. It's very reminiscent of her original human look in the comic. I was thinking just make the left shoulder armor a bit bigger, and more reinforced. I was also thinking about adding a simple strap across her chest. The midsection seems a little barren imo.

Blood Lord wrote:I am terrible at doing it. The only thing I'm remotely good at is characters and vehicles. But I haven't drawn a car, or truck, or tank, or a plane for a really long time.

That's funny because I'm kind of the exact opposite. When it comes to characters, I suck ass. However, back in high school, I could draw some pretty decent backgrounds and landscapes. But it's been a years since I've tried to draw anything.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Re: Guardian Gate Developments.

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:01 pm

Blordy on the DA wrote:This is just me getting some practice on drawing hands. Hands are probably the thing I have the most difficultly with when it comes to drawing so I spent a lot of time understanding the hand, its movement, and working on some of its interesting shapes. also experimented with shading here and there. I was using my big notebook (11x14) so it didn't fit well on the scanner and I used a camera to get this instead. Because of that, the shading doesn't come out the greatest.

I think I've gotten better at doing hands, looking from left to right. I've been working at arms, but I really miss drawing people. So I might forget the program I had established and jump straight into drawing the figure.

Re: Guardian Gate Developments - Doing some "Hands on" work.

Postby Grieffon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:47 am

Those are some nice hand studies.

Based on the Minnie drawing, I would say you need some work on gesture though, she looks stiff. I think this may help. I'm going through it to work on my gesture as well.

Re: Blood Studios - Doing some "Hands on" work.

Postby Blood Lord » Mon May 05, 2014 10:15 am

Bookmarked those

I've been practicing with heads and hair, and faces lately in my sketch book, and lets just say that things took a back seat in the suck department. Everything was really flat, unappealing, and no matter what I did with shading, it still looked like Naurto's face that had been slammed into a brick wall. I had huge jaws or massive foreheads, hair looked weird, smiles and mouths were not cooperating. Don't even get me started on ears. You'll see more when I upload those sketches, especially the top six.

So I was kinda frustrated and decided to adjust the way that I draw heads. I've experimented a lot with this, there are some styles where you draw a simple circle and attach a jaw, or you make an oval structure and then sketch portions of the face out - like you are carving something from stone. I use to do it that way. Then I was starting with the jaw or the top of the head and forcing the head to take a final form. worked sometimes, but it was frustrating at times. The new style I tried was taking a circle, using it has the upper portion of the head, and I would sketch the head around the circle, using it as a guide of sorts.

That's when I got this.

The face came out hundreds of times better than the other ones, and I was extremely please. The only problem was that the book I was using had such a plain and dull hair style on the girl for three-quarter shots. I wanted to give such a remarkable head a bit of flair. So I did, and I made Rarity.

Rarity's hair in this is a mix between the mane style that she had as a pony, her EQG hairstyle, and a few fun things I wanted to put in, such as the additional curl on our left. I took a picture of it using my Samsung Note Tablet, traced it with the drawing program I had on there, and uploaded it to here. I might go back at some point and do a colored version of this. I have it saved on my tablet just in case, but I also want to finish sketching heads so I can move onto bodies.

EDIT: Altered it a bit so the cheekbones went so pointy.

Re: Blood Studios - A Rarity in Practice.

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Mon May 05, 2014 3:06 pm

THIS... IS... SO.... PRETTY.

You're getting good, Blord/Guard/Guru. Those hands are fantastic. 8D

For hair, you'd want to try more flowing lines. It looks a bit plastic and hard. Also maybe heighten the hairline.

But Minnie and her outfit look adorable. Gawrsh. 8D
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Postby ari-6 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:34 pm

I really like to way you decided to humanise Rarity's hair style. I said before but drawing her hair was the thing I found most difficult.

Postby Blood Lord » Mon May 05, 2014 3:47 pm

GrimlyLoveGunner wrote:You're getting good, Blord/Guard/Guru. Those hands are fantastic. 8D

For hair, you'd want to try more flowing lines. It looks a bit plastic and hard. Also maybe heighten the hairline.

Thank you, Grimly. What do you mean by "heighten the hairline"? Do you mean to have the hair pulled up further?

ari-6 wrote:I really like to way you decided to humanise Rarity's hair style.

Thank you, ari.

Re: Blood Studios - Trying to get "ahead" of it all.

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:06 am

* blows dust off thread.

So I've been practicing doing heads, most notably facial expressions. I've got another section in the book I'm using that is all about hair, but I am sick of drawing heads. Here's my head studies, going from oldest to newest. Feedback of any sort is always appreciated:

After each page was done, I did a fun little "Graduation" project, it which I venture out, draw something I like with the skills I've learned. I've chosen to do three characters from Black Lagoon; Rock, Revy, and Balalaika. The second page, I was actually going to do three more heads, but decided to screw it ad do Majin Vegeta.

I like to think that I was getting better. Seeing the two side by side like this has me thinking it wasn't as much as I had thought in the first place, and has me rethinking the idea of skipping the hair section right now to go after bodies and gesture lines. I apologize for the quality. I use a 11x14 sketch book and I don't have a scanner large enough to scan it. So I had to take pictures, and then try to fit them together until I got something that resembled my page.

Anyways, I altered the way I do heads at around Rarity. But I didn't use it again until I hit the extreme rage guy. The way I was doing it before was drawing an oval like shape, and then cutting the features out of it as I needed. After watching some head tutorials (I can't remember who), I got the idea to try drawing a perfect circle, and then sketching the head around it. I don't know how well you can see it, might have to go to DA to see the actual image, but I left the "surprised" girl unfinished and left my lines there to show how I've been doing these faces.

Now that this is done, I plan to work on bodies and gesture lines. Might skip that and start on my pony studies instead.

Postby ari-6 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:10 pm

Going from the start of page one to the end of page two there is definitely improvement. If I'm being honest, I could never draw heads for very long before I bored myself to tears. They are really good practice but I always had a short attention span when things get repetitive. I remember me and my friend once compared the way we draw heads and the result was pretty funny. The way he did it always gave the characters pretty large chins where as I found my way made the chins less noticeable. We determined that it was down to him learning hoe to draw from western comic books where as I learned from manga and anime.

I was wondering why you drew Majin Vegeta? Was it something about that story line that you liked? Perhaps the whole "I've lost my edge. I'll do whatever I have to to get it back"? I thought that was pretty cool.

Good to see you back at it. Keep it up!

Postby Lady Haru » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:15 pm

hmm you can really see a difference in the oldest ones from the newest ones, that's some good improvement there
i will say i feel like perhaps there should be softer angles on the girls' faces as opposed to the guys'
the expressions are really nice, though, which is usually very difficult
good job, nice stuff blordy! c:
ImageImage
Tumblr 1 // Tumblr 2 // Facebook // Dreadful Comics
Alopunk - Haru, you are 200% a cutie patootie
Your Queen Your God

Postby Jesturr » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Blord! You have an art thread!
Those head studies look great

These are definitely my favorite of the bunch, they look fantastic!
Expect another lurker to yo threeeaaadddddd BU
Bagel Eater

Postby Exodis » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:06 am

Holy shit Blord, these are great! I love these drawings, the head shots are done really well! Great job, dude!
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Deemed as the best, Outlawed as the worst.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Universal Swordsman

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:48 pm

ari-6 wrote:If I'm being honest, I could never draw heads for very long before I bored myself to tears.

TBH, I could only sit down and do an average of three at a time before I had to go do something else. While they are important, they are extremely boring to draw... Repetitively... By themselves.

ari-6 wrote:I was wondering why you drew Majin Vegeta? Was it something about that story line that you liked? Perhaps the whole "I've lost my edge. I'll do whatever I have to to get it back"? I thought that was pretty cool.

Good to see you back at it. Keep it up!

Vegeta is probably my favorite character from DBZ, and is hilariously pulled off in the DBZ Abridged series. At first it was going to be Vegeta normal with a scouter, but then I saw the bad ass Majin picture and had to go with that. I think it was also around the time I stopped watching DBZ.

Thank you Ari.

Lady Haru wrote:i will say i feel like perhaps there should be softer angles on the girls' faces as opposed to the guys'
the expressions are really nice, though, which is usually very difficult
good job, nice stuff blordy! c:

Understandable. I have been making the chins on the girls too pointy.

Thank you, Haru.

Jesturr wrote:These are definitely my favorite of the bunch, they look fantastic!

Thank you, Jesturr. You picked my favorites out as well.

Except for the crying kid. Boy needs to suck it up. Who cares if the Hokage died.

Exodis wrote:Holy shit Blord, these are great! I love these drawings, the head shots are done really well! Great job, dude!

Thank you, Randori.

Postby Sigment » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:59 pm

Sorry that I'm late to the party. I like the improvements from sketch to sketch. I really do envy your ability to draw pupils.

Anyway, out of the ones Jesturr picked, I think my top three would be Majin Vegeta, "Extreme Rage" and Rarity, in that order.

The Resident Smartass

Previous

Return to Art