Thy Obsessive freak's artwork (Update 26/06/14)

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Thy Obsessive freak's artwork (Updated 17/11/13)

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:26 pm

GrimlyLoveGunner wrote:
And for a second I admired how cute younger Mizuka was- then I realized you'd just forgotten his veins in one panel. XD Ahaha~

Darn it all to feck!!

Varspool wrote:Oh man I have so much catching up to do!

Just from skimming though, you're getting a lot better. Keep up the good work, Freak. :D

Forgot you read my work Varspool, but thanks, great to know I'm improving, it's what I want!

So anyways, I got frustrated with what GrimlyLoveGunner was correct about, the armour was glossy. Frustrated, I looked up online for how to armour using Sai... I didn't find any armour... But I found lots of other colouring tips! They're some I've found before, but didn't do them because I wasn't confident enough. But growing a bigger pair thanks to the support from the community and confidence from gradually improving my skill, I gave it a shot... While not entirely what I had in mind it's made a big difference I think... but I could just be wanting to believe that, which is why I'm hoping someone here comments on the new shading experiment. I'm still learning how to use it... especially the feckin shine! I have never mastered the feckin' shine! But I want shine on my feck-blazing characters! I wish we had more digital artist who were keen to provide help... Hm... Ari-6 does digital art and shine... If I bother him enough, would he eventually help me out I wonder...
I might do that later, anyways, give you guys a chance to see the drastic change in colouring. In the scene following you will see the new underlay structure/skeleton put into play as Mizuka will look more buff and that he's actually wearing armour!
To note the second last one is where I learnt the new style while discovering it, I get it as it is to show progress and transition in my change. The bottom page is where the new style is finally implemented.

Also want to note I may have to give up on X-Pony. Reason why is because it got really tedious needing to colour each line. Sometimes they would overlap and make the whole thing look ugly and then there were just so many! I could probably just leave the lines black and figure out a way around making them look so dull, but that would be hard and divert from the show's style. I don't really want to give it up as I had so many ideas to make my own Marvel universe. Plus it boomed my deviantart watchers from 10 to 40! And I was going for 50 and so much more higher... But getting a fanbase just isn't worth the suffering for my art. Maybe if I had a colourer, that would be okay then, but I don't like negotiating terms and I have nothing that I could give in return for his work (Well money maybe, but it wouldn't be worth it), the person would also have to probably edit, as I usually notice mistakes I've made once it's been coloured
Plus I'm being more ambitious now. Although I'm reserving myself for the comic known as Anarchy's Will, I want to see if I can go even higher with a second comic. Reason why is because Mizuka was just an experiment comic to improve my skills, this comic will be to try and get attention if possible, so I'll be trying to keep the art style consistent unlike Mizuka which takes great risks just to find out what works better. I plan to begin drawing it in February, I'll hopefully finished both the script and gotten a better grasp on the shine by then, as well as getting the hang of the new shading in general. It'll only be a One-shot though (around 30pages, if it fails to attract an decent audience on MangaMagazine.net where I plan to put it to the test then I'll abandon it just like that. But of course if it does well, I'll have it run aside Mizuka.
But for now I'm having to abandon X-Ponies due to the fact it's that big a cost on me, but because the new shading process for the Story of Mizuka is a lot faster, I may return to doing 2-3pages per day instead of just the one.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:04 pm

*You forgot Shizune's veins in a panel, Freaky. :?

I can see how X-Ponies would be tiring for you. I'd offer to color but my online times are hectic and all my computer can run is Windows Paint. Which surely couldn't get the effects you want-

Feeling really bad for Rena and finally starting to wonder what'll become of her, since she's getting to be so very essential- and- well- invested. It's something that apparently never occurred to me. But things are going downhill for her, man.

I also desperately want to see what kind of story you're doing next. 8D Funfunfunfunfunfun~

I only just got to the scripting for chapter two of my Doujinshi. The holidays messed me up and I'm still consumed with waiting for some Christmas deliveries that have decided to come at the later end of their estimated arrival date. (Which I was spoiled against when everything else got here far earlier then the expected date. But it's the two things I REQUIRE that are taking the longest)
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:35 pm

GrimlyLoveGunner wrote:*You forgot Shizune's veins in a panel, Freaky. :?

Really-really hate it when that happens.

But great if you could do that if you could, but I'm an impatient man and would only be up for it for someone who was enthusiastic for it, if you don't mind me saying, not out of obligation. But thanks, great to know that I can count on you for help Grimlylovegunner.

Look forward to next of your Doujinshi.

An obsessed freak

Re: Thy Obsessive freak's artwork (Updated 10/1/14)

Postby Sigment » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:40 pm

I'm really liking this, Freak. The tension's really building up, and I am very much looking forward to the climax of these events. Good job, and good luck.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:02 pm

Thanks Sigment. Sadly this is only half-way, roughly, so you'll have to wait quite a while. But because I might be returning to two-three pages a day, not too long.

An obsessed freak

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:52 pm

Right, posting this early, but wanted to present the new underlay/skeleton where Mizuka now looks more buff in my opinion under that armour. But Reason why I'm posting with a half-finished scene instead of a entirely finished scene is because I'm experimenting with shades. Could someone please point out if any of these shades are working, I'm sort of going through them.

Last edited by Thy Obsessive Freak on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

An obsessed freak

Postby Sigment » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:31 pm

Hmm, third page, first panel... Was that supposed to say "Now leave me now that my child has been attended to"?

Great pages BTW.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:44 pm

Sigment wrote:Hmm, third page, first panel... Was that supposed to say "Now leave me now that my child has been attended to"?

... Really going to have to stop writing this stuff light headed...

And thanks, sounds like the new underlay structure is performing well at least.

An obsessed freak

Re: Thy Obsessive freak's artwork (Updated 14/1/14)

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:01 pm

*snifflez*

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW~

MIIIIIIIIIIIZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW~

This is going to make it feel so much badder when the inevitable terribly sad things happen~

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW~~~
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Re: Thy Obsessive freak's artwork (Updated 14/1/14)

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks.

An obsessed freak

Re: Thy Obsessive freak's artwork (Updated 18/1/14)

Postby OrangeBee » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:19 pm

That baby demon freaked me out. This is goin' good
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
ShitPoster

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:44 pm

Thanks OrangeBee

An obsessed freak

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:22 pm

XD EEEEEEVERYTHING has already been done atleast once. I know what you mean- I can always find at least one thing or a mixture of two things that reflect where I got my original ideas from.

Like how the original manga I want to do after I get kick-ass good is like a watered down, slightly less gorey version of Mirai Nikki. XD

And I mainly do fanwork for two reasons- to more easily give people what they want- to entertain them and give them like- Isn't it HILARIOUS/EPIC/INSANE that the did this in here because they did this in the regular show? And also because I like appreciating what we've already got. Awesome shows full of characters that provide such ideas- And it's easy to pull something original- if not only slightly- out of that. XDDDD

And I hope this doesn't sound rude but autism makes sense to me- I mean, I have a friend with Asperger's, and they way you two talk about the things you like kindof reminded me of eachother.

But considering the way you talk and- especially- write, is, like. Kickass. Considering. 8D

Now for the development of the comic-

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHMAYHGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWD!!!!!!!

MIZUKA STORY IS ALL JUST PROLOGUE AND BUILD UP FOR ZYUU MANIA?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHCK!

ALL THIS AWESOMENESS AND KEWLNESS AND EPIC ANGSTINESS WAS JUST BACKSTORY!?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU MEAN IT GETS BIGGER AND MORE EPIC FROM HERE!?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHCK!

WHY DO I WRITE MY SCRIPTS SO SLOW? I GOT NOTHING TO COMPETE WITH THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS

THE SPEED AND EPICNESS YOU THROW OUT SO DAMN QUICKLY OMGWTFINSPIRATION2GOFASTERNAOWTHANKYOU

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHCKKKKKK

Can't wait for the rest. And more of Zyuu. He's adoridables. Actually looks a lot like Mommy. Awwww~ Big Daddy Mizu is gonna do good from now on....

I hope.
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Postby Sigment » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:10 pm

Been thinking of sketching an AP'd Zyuu, but with what's already on my plate, I should probably hold off on that.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:38 pm

GrimlyLoveGunner wrote:
And I mainly do fanwork for two reasons- to more easily give people what they want- to entertain them and give them like- Isn't it HILARIOUS/EPIC/INSANE that the did this in here because they did this in the regular show? And also because I like appreciating what we've already got. Awesome shows full of characters that provide such ideas- And it's easy to pull something original- if not only slightly- out of that. XDDDD

Heck I've had no luck trying to get people to read my fanwork... Well expect for my Little Pony stuff, kind of, I blame people who only read fanfiction to sate shipping fetishes. But I'm more into creating own original ideas and developing my own characters (Hard to develop someone else's character).

GrimlyLoveGunner wrote:And I hope this doesn't sound rude but autism makes sense to me- I mean, I have a friend with Asperger's, and they way you two talk about the things you like kindof reminded me of eachother.

But considering the way you talk and- especially- write, is, like. Kickass. Considering. 8D

Not really rude no... But if you had been inaccurate about autistic people you would've been :) . Aspergers is a form of Autism though, the differences we have a very insignificant, but anyways, it's no surprising to sound alike as Autism people do seem to share some traits, no idea why, I have a group of Autistic people who gather at my house to play Roleplays every Friday and we do seem to share traits, we're all very different, but you could see why we would form a group together.

Now for the development of the comic-

GrimlyLoveGunner wrote:
MIZUKA STORY IS ALL JUST PROLOGUE AND BUILD UP FOR ZYUU MANIA?!

ALL THIS AWESOMENESS AND KEWLNESS AND EPIC ANGSTINESS WAS JUST BACKSTORY!?

Kind of, Mizuka's still a story of his own, but it gave something original enough to make me happy writing about Zyuu, the character who I've always wanted to write about to demonstrate what makes me love the Hulk so much.

Sigment wrote:Been thinking of sketching an AP'd Zyuu, but with what's already on my plate, I should probably hold off on that.

What's an AP'd?

An obsessed freak

Postby Sigment » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:33 pm

Thy Obsessive Freak wrote:What's an AP'd?

"AP" means age progression, though I may have been using it in the wrong context. Point was that I had been considering drawing Zyuu as an adult. But again, I likely won't be able to do it right now since I'm already swamped.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:41 pm

Ah right, that would've been cool, probably see if I can get my friend Stooie to do one for me (I like fanart of the Story of Mizuka and she tends to do some in her free time, she's supposedly done a pony version of the characters) Which minds me, she has an account on here, but has been too afraid to post because she thinks you all would hate her drawings and get fed up of her bumping them on her thread, hoping some members here like Sigment and GrimlyLoveGunner would invite her to the forum to help her overcome this paranoia, but it's more likely she's just shy, either way, be good if people said hey and asked her to post stuff here, as I'd figure she'd get on great with all you and would be beneficial to all. This is her deviantart account: http://xstooiex.deviantart.com/ .

Anyways, decided to start posting the comic page by page rather than by scene as I'm still aggressively experimenting with shadows, but haven't found one I'm settled on yet, that I'm hoping I could get help which one works best as it's aggravating how difficult this is and figured I might as well as you can see them daily on my deviantart account anyhows.
I haven't been able to post any a while though or finish any. I had a major problem recently where I've gotten a bloodclot in my leg and no not a threatening one, it's right inside the muscle, nowhere where it could cause serious danger, but it has caused me serious pain and made me limp for a few days and made me go to the hospital three times, mainly because doctors had no idea how I got this bloodclot being that I hadn't even come close to injuring myself there especially the day I got i, so they needed to make sure it wasn't something else. But no, it's a bloodclot in a very strange place and has caused me to fall behind in my art.
I almost managed to finish another one, just one more character to colour, but I ran out of time, but this should mean I should finish two tomorrow if I'm lucky enough (Exploring artshades takes forever, that and it's because I've been doing a lot of backgrounds which eat up time). So here's Zyuu at 6yrs old with another character (This was meant to be Omizu, but I made a last minute change that it needed to be a character designed for this development that you'll hopefully get why soon.)
So yes ta-da! Also noticed I made Zyuu's head far too large in the first panel (Cringe), it's tough doing children as their heads are meant to be kind of large, but then not that large!

An obsessed freak

Postby Sigment » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:51 pm

I'm seeing an "A" that should be an "E". But good page besides that.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Cerulean » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:29 am

Oooh, so we get to see Zyuu's story now. Very excited about that.

Only problem (other than the one that Sig pointed out) that I have with this page, is how difficult it is to see Zyuu's iris/pupil in this page. I can sorta see them in panel 2. But the other 2 panels, I can't see them at all.

Oh, and as for your friend, the more the merrier! There's nothing wrong with being enthusiastic with your art. I'm sure everyone here would welcome her with open arms c:

And I'm fine with delays, as long as you aren't pushing yourself to the point of injury, I can deal :D
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:34 am

Yeah, Zyuu's eyes are meant to be completely black, so really he doesn't have iris, but I am trying to come up with a way to tell where he's looking... kind of an important thing in Shonen, where Zyuu will be involved in battles.
Also trying to get away with drawing eyes from long distances. Got tired of always doing it and I feel it does look better without the eyes from a certain distance.

An obsessed freak

Postby Sigment » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:32 pm

Thy Obsessive Freak wrote:Yeah, Zyuu's eyes are meant to be completely black, so really he doesn't have iris, but I am trying to come up with a way to tell where he's looking... kind of an important thing in Shonen, where Zyuu will be involved in battles.

The problem there is consistency. You've gone this far with both Zyuu and his mother having glistening white irises. It's not exactly something that can be changed on a whim, IMO.
Thy Obsessive Freak wrote:Also trying to get away with drawing eyes from long distances. Got tired of always doing it and I feel it does look better without the eyes from a certain distance.

I understand what you mean as far as long distance are concerned, I think. You're referring to when they don't include the pupil when the distance is long enough? The problem there is that that trick is not usually used on characters with black sclera (the area of the eye that is usually white), so it doesn't work well here. It just feels like there needs to be more distinction in terms of the sclera, iris and pupil. Maybe a small white outline around the iris would help there.

The Resident Smartass

Re: Thy Obsessive freak's artwork (Updated 25/1/14)

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:37 pm

Well it's a practice comic for experimenting, so I think I can get away with art consistency :grin: But true if the reader whose meant to be helping me is unfamiliar and makes it harder to judge.

And fair enough, more of an artist than I thought you were Sigment. I'll try and look into it and it's great that you're giving some art advice, most appreciated.

Either way you'll be wanting to look at my latest literature ;)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50010&start=25

An obsessed freak

Postby Sigment » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:51 pm

That's just... wow. Well, props to ya for originality.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:42 am

Right, can't tell if I'm improving or getting worse with all this experimenting and trying to get the eyes right.

An obsessed freak

Postby Sigment » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Those eyes look really good. I never really had a problem with most characters eyes. And your art has vastly improved compared to when you started. You can keep getting better, but don't treat this statement as an implication that your doing poorly.

The Resident Smartass

PreviousNext

Return to Art