Some art by me

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Some art by me

Postby Kid J » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:15 pm

So i'm fairly new to posting to the art forum but ive been creepin for while i just wanted to post an unfinished cover for a comic im work on based in the avatar the last airbender universe and wanted see what you guys think, more too follow soon hopefully

Re: Some art by me

Postby Kid J » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:35 pm

Some more concept stuff, also some input from people would be awesome.
Yoten: A rebellious Air Nomad who left his tribe in search enlightenment and adventure, he's mischievous and clever and yearns for excitement in his dull life as a monk. He meets with the others because he senses a spiritual disturbance and seeks to write the wrong and bring peace to the region terrorized by Lu Gao.
Lu Gao The Merciless: An ancient earthbending warlord from the time of Avatar Wan, a devout worshiper of Vaatu, he was granted the secret ability of energybending for his worship, he along with 3 other bending warlords had their spirits trapped into ancient masked by the second avatar, 500 years later an unfortunate waterbender is drawn into his tomb by his spirit and puts on his mask thus becoming Lu Gao.
Kouri: A calm and collected young man who was friends with the waterbender turned spirit warlord, he seeks to restore his friend back to his former self and stop Gao from conquering water tribe colonies located in the southern tip of the earth kingdom.

Postby OrangeBee » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:27 am

This are pretty good
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
ShitPoster

Postby Cerulean » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:38 am

Welcome :D

These look nice. Though that airbender's legs look a little weird (his lower legs seem to be bent at weird angles?) to me. Will you be posting your comic's pages here?
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Kid J » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:37 am

Cerulean wrote:Welcome :D

These look nice. Though that airbender's legs look a little weird (his lower legs seem to be bent at weird angles?) to me. Will you be posting your comic's pages here?

Thanks guys, I can see where the leg looks a little wonky, i used a silohuette as reference and the guy was wearing baggy pants so i had to improv, as forthe comicc iwas hoping to post the comics under this thread I just need to figure out panel layout and flesh out the story more before I post anything.

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:07 pm

Okay, sorry, keep forgetting to post here, kind of a forgetful person that needs to b prodded every so often.

Anyways, the concept stuff it kind of good, I'm not so big on it, but you've got decent proportions and the colouring is quite accurate to the Last airbender. But your stuff is really-really flat, I mean really flat, it's so 2D that I doubt a steamroller could make them any flatter. The stuff needs shade. You could also do with trying to think more with shapes, imagine the arms more cylinder and the heads more blockish.

I'd get more into this but sometimes you do good with this stuff, but then you do bad in the one following. Generally I'd say you need a lot more practice, practice as much as you can as it's evident that you're needing to get use to this more really, if you don't mind me saying.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Kid J » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Do you guys have any good shading tutorials? Also what else do I need practice on? Your last paragraph was kinda vague

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:12 pm

Sorry I was having trouble trying to explain in my last paragraph. What I was trying to say is that you are good at doing the legs, but at other times your bad. Compare Yoten and Kouri for example, Yoten's legs are quite crooked, but Kouri's legs a hubba-hubba those are good. I theorize why is because you're just needing to get use to it, it's like trying to climb out of a slippery tub, you almost there, but then you fall back in and need to then continue climbing out, sort of thing. It's one thing I had trouble drawing a simple human body, where it took a lot of effort to draw something as simple as a leg, but after lotz of practice, it's no problem now.

As for the shading, it just takes some confidence. You do have to consider sources of light, as in where the light is coming from and then what the light can't reach and then putting shade there. And to note just like there a hundred different ways of drawing characters there are lotz of ways of making shade, such as tools and how much and so on. But if you do need a shading tutorial, look up on Deviantart for some shading tutorials. You can find some really great tutorials in general. Though because you're copying Avatar: The last airbender, then I'd recommend studying how it does shade. Also if you're using a digital program, I'd recommend using the brush if you go with that.

Hope that makes sense.

An obsessed freak

Postby Kid J » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:59 am

I'm back after kinda learning the basics of shading as per criticized by Freak, im also gonna try working on the first couple of pages of my comic and i was wondering if guys had any tips or pointers for setting up the panels.

Omashi Ling: Sarcastic and grounded (geddit?) , Ling comes from a tribe of guardian earthbenders who reside in the Wushan Desert, which is just outside of the Tomb of Lu Gao. She comes to the aid of Kouri and Yuca when the awakening of Gao releases and tremor in the region.

Yuca: Driven, brash and hot-headed (pkay im done), Yuca is from a minor noble clan of sun warriors. To gain more political power between the sun warrior tribe her father sent her and her brother Tan to retrieve the warlord masks. She heads south toward the tomb of Lu Gao, while her brother heads north toward the Mausoleum of Feng Ma.
i realize Yuca's pose is kinda awkward looking and a little disproportionate i tried to use a dynamic pose as a reference and it didnt work out obviously.

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:21 am

Wow, someone's gotten better than I am, good work really.

And yes, Yuca seems to have down a great job a twisting herself, the biggest area is her torso, it looks like it's trying to escape her head and her waist by snapping off.

Also be careful when you bend the arms, whenever you do they look like the belong to a feckin' orangutan because they are feckin' wrong. There are lotz of ways of tackling this and trying to keep in mind how long arms should be. The way I do it is that the upper part of your arm should only be slightly longer than your rip cage and you should be able to imagine your wrists matching up with your wrists. But then as said there are plenty of ways of remembering. Yuca's though seems to fit quite well though, but Omashi's very questionable.

Overall, great job and the shading is 'really' helping, your characters no longer look so flat, but I'd recommend having more fun with it and finding more ways to look less flat as it's still a tad flat.

An obsessed freak

Postby Kid J » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:37 am

Finished the cover stuff for it, hopefully ill post the first couple of pages within the week.

Postby Kid J » Sun May 04, 2014 4:00 am

Man its been 2 months since i posted anything, DAMN YOU SCHOOL!!! but now that im free from the shackles of public education i can start drawing again, WHOO!! also does anyone here have any good comic tutorials or tips? i got my story down on paper i just dont know where/how to start. Much appreciation guys! heres some of my characters Yoten and Yuca ive been able to work on.

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sun May 04, 2014 4:58 am

Well you could write a script/prose and someone like me could critique it. Obviously though you want a good first impression at the start, give us an idea of what the story is going to be like, the main character and so on.

As for the art work, great work on the clothes and kind of on the hands (They great, but I think you sill need to be a little more careful) but really work on the nose. Lu Goa's is ridiculously wide and thanks to that face paint Yuca looks as if her's is flat besides the nostrils thanks to the shadow. Also to note that Yuca's belly looks really thin compared to her chest to warn. But good work.

An obsessed freak

Postby Kid J » Sun May 04, 2014 7:45 pm

I think i will post a little prologue/ back story to everything,
also I gotta be honest man, you have no idea how to give a critique, instead of telling me how to improve my skills you just point out flaws, for instance, "great work on the clothes and kind of on the hands (They great, but I think you sill need to be a little more careful) but really work on the nose." How should i improve the hands? what exactly is wrong with them? are they not detailed enough? are they disproportionate? Also just because something is flat doesn't mean its bad, most comic books and manga use flat plains of color. For example graphic novels by Frank Miller use flat plains of color and are still regarded as masterpieces, i.e. The Dark Knight Returns. Don't get me wrong i am open to your critiques its just i want to know how to improve as an artist.

Postby ari-6 » Sun May 04, 2014 8:04 pm

Perhaps I could try. I would say, work on your proportion, Perhaps by drawing from observation. Do that until you have a good idea of what the human body looks like and how things measure up in your head. Also look at the quality of line, specifically how the line is rendered. There are plenty of tutorials for that around the internet. I can't really criticise your colouring because I usually rely on that kind of solid edge cell shaded look, because I am not very good at colouring.
I am the MISSINGNO
Current world record holder for the longest case of the sniffles.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Kid J » Sun May 04, 2014 8:19 pm

Well thank you for giving my a starting point i at least know where to start improving.

Postby Ruxan Kikilin » Mon May 05, 2014 2:03 am

Proko TV

To help with the human anatomy.

Ctrl+Paint

How to digital art.
dA
o -o

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Mon May 05, 2014 7:37 am

Kid J wrote:I think i will post a little prologue/ back story to everything,
also I gotta be honest man, you have no idea how to give a critique, instead of telling me how to improve my skills you just point out flaws, for instance, "great work on the clothes and kind of on the hands (They great, but I think you sill need to be a little more careful) but really work on the nose." How should i improve the hands? what exactly is wrong with them? are they not detailed enough? are they disproportionate? Also just because something is flat doesn't mean its bad, most comic books and manga use flat plains of color. For example graphic novels by Frank Miller use flat plains of color and are still regarded as masterpieces, i.e. The Dark Knight Returns. Don't get me wrong i am open to your critiques its just i want to know how to improve as an artist.

Fair enough, the reason I probably don't give ideas on how to improve skills is because the way I like to improve is with just practice. I'm not much of a study person even though I do have lotz of books I use and do use references. So in other words I tell only flaws to point out what to be aware of for next time as in be wary that nose is too wide or the belly is too thin. I also assume most people use references because it's sort of something you pick up on. I remember when I got back into art I refused to use references because I was sick of people telling me I had to and I find drawing real life, really boring and dull (Makes me fall asleep).
Anyways, can if you want to stick with looking flat, but it's more impressive if you draw you characters more dimensional especially if it's fan art of Avatar where yes it's a cartoon series, not a manga or a comic, but if you want to capture more of the feel, you should attempt it as it'll improve your art quicker. Plus I won't be the only critic telling you your art looks flat.

But thanks for speaking up to me, I'm not much of a fan of the responder just going yes-yes to me just because I'm probably the only person whose tried to give feedback. Although I give feedback to feed my ego with the thanks and praise, but I do want to improve as well and you know, people just saying yes to your advice without examining it and making sure if it's going to actually help them improve helps no one. But I'd be careful with telling critics to help you improve, I'm not one of them, but I've seen some nasty critics who will bite your head off for that when they blitzkrieg you how it's up to you to improve and study. But I do understand if you're a bit lost on how to do it yourself and finding out what's right for you.

But anyways if you want better help with proportions just look up some outlay structures/skeletons/whatever people call them (Even if you know about them already). You'll find them in almost any drawing book you pick up, find one that suits you and don't feel afraid to experiment mix and matches or create one that best suits you. They're great for helping with anatomy and keeping things consistent.
It's hard for me to give other critiques as sometimes you do good at it one minute, but then struggle next that you're probably just getting the hang of something. I'll have to see how you just get on.

EDIT: One thing I remembered is using references that you'll be needing. I stumbled on it and got praised a lot by people telling me that's what I should be doing (Nerve of them for not telling me I should be doing that earlier, but that's why I'm remembering to tell you now). For example, Avatar uses a lot of relevant martial arts as I recall, an idea would be to find out what martial arts they use and use those for references, it'll hopefully motivate you to keep practicing and get the feel of Avatar into your comics.

An obsessed freak

Postby WesleyInc » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:18 pm

Cool... sounds good to me. I can friend you if you want me to.
State alchemist irken Titan shifter demon and vocaloid fan

Postby Hallow Nova » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:41 pm

To whom or what are you responding to? :/
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Return to Art