The Art Tutorials Thread

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

The Art Tutorials Thread

Postby Hiroko » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:25 pm

Hey, welcome to the Art Tutorials thread. Here users can compile together a list of tutorials, references, resources, and whatever else to help each other out as fellow artists.

For archiving's sake, here is the old thread to look through, if you'd like. It's a bit cluttered and a few things are out-of-date, but there is still a wealth of useful information to be found in there. [Link]
The Sentimental One

Re: The Art Tutorials Thread

Postby Grieffon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:20 pm

Gesture and Anatomy tutorials:
- Proko's gesture drawing series (video): Basics on gesture drawing.
- Figure drawing for all its worth by Andrew Loomis (free e-book): standard for learning anatomy
- Tutorial on foreshortening (video)

Pose resources:
- Pixelovely: Human model, clothed and nude
- PoseManiacs: 3D human model with muscle shown.
- SenshiStock: clothed female model (required dA account).

Digital art:
- Ctrlpaint: Probably the best place to start with digital painting, and it even has some videos on basic traditional drawing and art fundamentals if you are completely new to art.
- Common digital painting mistakes: Very helpful tips for beginning digital artists.
- Speedpainting tutorial: a walkthrough for the process of making a speedpaint.
- Carapace: Very helpful tool to quickly create perspective grids.

And since I know some here like to draw ponies:
- EqD's tutorial codex: Massive number of resources on art basics and pony-related guides.

Should I post resources that are not free? I know some good books.

Postby Hiroko » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:48 pm

I think that's fine, at least to leave it as an option for those who do have the money to go and buy them and all.
The Sentimental One

Postby Bad Dragon » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:56 pm

I have a HUGE collection of references and tutorials from deviantart to share with you guys! :) Might not post them all right now since I'm limited on time at the moment.

Anatomy:
Semi-Realistic Eyes
Semi-Realistic Eyes 2
Semi-Realistic Eye 3
Hand Tutorial
Mini-Hand Tutorial
Chibi

Animals:
Bird Wings

Landscape:
Underwater Tutorial
Traditional Tree (Can be applied to Digital Though)
Drawing Cities Tips

Other:
Establishing Mood /w Color
Imperfection is Beauty, Madness is Genius, and it's Better to be Absolutely Ridiculous than Absolutely Boring.

My Twitch Account + My Anime/Gaming FB Page
Check out my Art Thread! Mostly Mass Effect for now but I'll be throwing in some more variation soon.
IM SO FUCKING HIGH RIGHT NOW

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Also, don't be afraid to launch your own tutorial on something. Maybe you found a cool, interesting way to make hand gestures easier while practicing, or head designs, or maybe you just spent a month long study on perspectives and want to share what you know.

This thread is all about helping each other and improving. If you are working on your drawing and found something difficult, unsure how to draw something, or seeking improvement, totally come in and make a request!
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Laudine » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:59 pm

Here are digital painting tutorials made by my favourite artist :)
Unfortunately she disappeared from internet quite a while ago, so her tutorials are scattered in various locations.

Eyes
Hair
Nose
Lips
Skin colour
Blending colours

Postby ari-6 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:07 am

She's not the only one who disappeared. Welcome back by the way.
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Laudine » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:57 pm

ari-6 wrote:She's not the only one who disappeared. Welcome back by the way.

Hah xD Thank you Ari! It's good to be back. Life was crazy but hopefully I can post more now, or at least go back lurking :p

By the way, I can't believe I didn't think to put this before:
http://artcamp.com/
It is a 12 weeks online course held by the artist Noah Bradley. It tackled the basics and foundations of art; composition, colour, figures, etc. I joined it last year and it really changed my perspective on art. Just thought someone might be interested.
The videos are not free, but the first week video is free and can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQfF-P70V2Q

Postby Grieffon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:45 pm

Those courses are more than I can afford, plus they won't start until next May. That first video is already plenty though. Now I just need to find painting of old famous artist. Which I don't know anyone.

Can someone help me with a list of great artists from the past? Landscape would be best, I probably won't touch portraits yet.

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Do you have a particular era you want to look at? Because I'm thinking of someone like Da Vinci.

If you want more modern ones, there is that white guy with a fro who did waterpaint backgrounds, I think he use to be on PBS or something.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grieffon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks for reminding me about Bob Ross. I have enough landscape artists for now; what I need is some good fantasy/scifi artists, and there was hardly any until modern days. If you already know some particularly good artist on those, even a good deviantart account, please recommend me. No need to look up new ones you haven't known though, leave the googling to me.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:58 am

You can try this guy for now. I don't have much to offer on that subject since my friend was the digital painter of the group.

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Grieffon wrote:And since I know some here like to draw ponies:
- EqD's tutorial codex: Massive number of resources on art basics and pony-related guides.

Damn you and your ability to see into the future, I was just about to come in and ask about this.

So then, do you have any recommendation for which guides are better than others?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:47 pm

ari-6 wrote:You can try this guy for now. I don't have much to offer on that subject since my friend was the digital painter of the group.

That's weird. I could have sworn I put a link here http://nebezial.deviantart.com/

Postby Grieffon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:59 pm

Thanks Ari. He has some very good stuff.

I can't make a comparison for those pony tutorials, because I have only checked out some, and there are hundreds of them there. There are a few good ones I can remember though. There are tons of how to draw tutorial, but I think the "Guide Series by Whatsa" has some better explanation. "Gen4 Anatomy Notes" offers a lot of good information that can help you avoid anatomy mistakes, so they are definitely worth checking out.

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:48 pm

Awesome, I'll look at those first when I get to ponies. Thank you.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grieffon » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:32 pm

May come in handy in understanding pony form.

Postby ULTRADJ » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Oh, I have a question. Should I get like a drawing book to help me start out on drawing curves and lines, or do the tutorials shown above are all I need to start practicing drawing? I ask since I would like a more hands on experience like following in a book then look at tutorials for more improvement once I get the basic gist of it.
Just Rockin

Postby ari-6 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:32 pm

First you have to draw something. Books and tutorials are useful for learning to draw specific things but there is nothing you can read to learn how to draw. Once you have drawn a few things, you someone more experienced could look at it and tell you what you need to work on. What would you lke to be able to draw?

Postby ULTRADJ » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:14 pm

Well, pretty much like cartoons and anime and such, nothing like realism or land scapes, just fun stuff like anime/manga and cartoons it what I'm aiming for. I'm just trying to find a place to start and I need help with that.
Just Rockin

Postby Grieffon » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:24 pm

ari-6 wrote:Books and tutorials are useful for learning to draw specific things but there is nothing you can read to learn how to draw.

Actually, there is. As long as it's not a book about "how to draw dragon/car/mech/manga/<insert specific thing>", it should be useful.

I'm not sure about drawing cartoon/manga, I think you still have to go through realistic anatomy to be able to draw the unrealistic well.

Postby ari-6 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:48 pm

I just meant that to draw, you have to put pencil to paper. You can't read a book cover to cover and then say you now know how to draw.

Also I agree. Being able to draw realistically is important. If you learn how to draw in a stylised way, you might be able to do it well but you will be limited to what you know. If you can draw a person realistically from scratch then you can stylise it in any way you can think of and apply a broader knowledge to your style. But then it also comes down to if you intend to do it professionally or just for fun. Because if the latter, then you don't need to practice or read anything. As long as your having fun the you are doing it right.

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:41 pm

ULTRADJ wrote: Should I get like a drawing book to help me start out on drawing curves and lines, or do the tutorials shown above are all I need to start practicing drawing? I ask since I would like a more hands on experience like following in a book then look at tutorials for more improvement once I get the basic gist of it.

I used a book, still do actually. I find books to be really handy in learning the basics of things. I used "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Drawing Basics" when I first started. It focused more on learning how to develop the artistic mind, exercises for improving art and increasing your drawing endurance (my art goes to shit after about an hour of solid work), the basics, pretty much.

I do have two anime/manga books that I use. "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Drawing Manga Illustrated, 2nd Edition", and "Massive Manga: Techniques for Drawing, Inking and Colouring". I am actually using that current one in drawing exercises right now to improve the ways I draw heads, which ironically, isn't how I draw heads at all anymore since I found something that works better, but that's a different story.

I like to use books to gain a understanding, and to use as examples and projects to test on. You have to remember that with a book, it isn't the "right way", because you will find your own way to make it happen. Look for short cuts, alternative methods (both manga books show completely different ways to do the body, for example), and styles you feel comfortable with.

I think a book is fantastic for what you are looking for, because that was the same intent for me too.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grieffon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:48 pm

Marijouna's tutorials. Many useful tutorials on anatomy of human and animals, and also some other things. Her tutorial on facial expression is especially great. There's also a good horse tutorial for pony enthusiasts.

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:08 pm

Has anyone used/uses the Sketchbook program of Samsung's?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Next

Return to Art