Sly's Tid Bits and Things

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Sly's Tid Bits and Things

Postby Sly » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:06 pm

Welp, finally person'd up and made a thread to post somethings. Decided to go with some reflections I've been going over lately.

I've done a lot more lurking than posting in the past week and some change. Mainly trying to get a feel for the place.
I mentioned in a different unimportant post that I got kicked out of a website I previously called home. It's a bit of a story, really. Except the consequences turned out a lot graver than I had expected. I learned more than I can say I wanted, about life, about relationships, and about people. I also learned the horrible nature of myself, and I guess you could view the following as a lot of confessions, but I wasn't the only one that drew blood.

Let's just say I got comfortable on top of this fake little world. It's not breaking the rules if you're the one making the rules, now is it? I wanted perfection, not power, but I wasn't afraid to use power to achieve it. I want too much. I wanted a grand story, I wanted open world, and I wanted the world to sing a tale of great battles and deep drama, sharp edges and decision. I wanted, I wanted... but it's in the heart of the people that determines the fate of roleplay. It comes down to whether people like you or not. Me and people have never quite gotten along, IRL or internet, and I treated my pathetic little realm like the only place in the world I could shed the face I put up IRL, and let the darkest side of me show. I worked my ass off for the website, but I refused to do it with a smiling face. A smiling face and kind words weren't me, and I wanted to do what I wanted, how I wanted. And for the few that tried to stand in my way, they never stayed on the site longer than a month before I drove them into some self-inflicted exile.

If I worked hard, that should be enough, maybe? But it never will be. There's an underbelly to society, one beneath even internet culture. One that comes out not amongst a sea of random anonymous faces, but amongst the ones you let your guard down to.

I hope I have time tomorrow to draw out a page or so of the metaphorical telling of how things ended, but I'll recap in text how things metaphorically began. Not that it's a story worth telling, but I just felt like drawing it out in a fictional telling of how it happened. I'm comfortable now, years after things ended, to talk about it only because the site was recently announced that it was down for good, and now it's gone forever. I joined the website years ago when I graduated highschool. Roleplay website. Fandom of my choosing. My last three RP characters had each met horrible fates suiting the nature of their lives, and I was ready for a fresh start. I got really into it, especially when my life took a very dark turn, and I found myself on a plane to England with expectations to never return home. I met my (now ex-)boyfriend on the website, he was a Game Master for a long time, and then moved up to Head Admin. Two years later his GMs poofed, and he gave me a choice. I either take over as the plot writer and Game Master and run this site, or the site dies and everyone loses everything they've worked on for years, including me. I took up the position upon the agreement that he would help me, and that I would be the only GM he'd hire (in other words, all of the work was mine to have and decide and do). I was a respected roleplayer, but respect doesn't necessarily mean people like you. I caused more fights on that site than anyone in it's toxic history. Looking back, I don't know if I was respected, or just feared into loathing.

I took up the mantle and lead the website into the shortest lived golden age it would ever see. I'll skip the mass drama of a plot reset decided and enacted by said ex-BF without my council, amidst my extensive 3-month work. But either way, the show went on whether I liked it or not, despite the first relationship in my life being horrendously thrown on the rocks. Months turned into years of college and roleplay gone by. My actions in-RP kept my roleplayers there, but my actions OOC were growing a conflict that I couldn't see. I saw in due time a world I had built from the ground up slowly beginning to burn.

And then my people began to rebel.

TLDR: I ran a website and ppl hated me :/ and now I'm going to make pictures of a silly telling of how the world ended.
Last edited by Sly on Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have the preparedness to tell a lie? How is it?
Look, you're becoming sleepy.

My writings

People ruin all things to the point good and evil can't even exist.
In the depth of humanity, what I saw a terribly cold dream.
Looking Forward.

Re: Sly's Tid Bits and Things

Postby ari-6 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:43 pm

Sly wrote:my life took a very dark turn, and I found myself on a plane to England with expectations to never return home.
Oh hell! Trust me, that place is a shit hole! You should want to stay far away from there if you can help it.

Hello, welcome to forum. Don't worry, it's not that big. You might want to embed your art rather than link it if you know how. Just so that others may scroll down, view you'r art, then comment on it. You might also want to consider making a thread in the literary sect.
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Sly » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:57 pm

I considered the literary thing, but beyond those few paragraphs the rest is in comic form, just didn't seem like enough to call for a whole thread. Not sure how to embed stuffs? .__.?

And hello .w.;;

My writings

Looking Forward.

Postby Hallow Nova » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:18 pm

Get the link of you pic and place it between the 'Img' bracket sets.
You can see shortcuts to the brackets above the post box.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Cerulean » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:22 pm

Hmm, the first time I looked here I thought the image was already there, did you perhaps change it to link form later?
Welcome to the forums! c:
Here's a more in depth explanation of the embedding thing (just in case).

You have to upload it to an image hosting website. Then take the link (usually called the direct link) provided and insert it between the IMG tags. They look like this ( :down: ), and the link goes in the middle.

Code: Select all
[img][/img]

Some examples of Image Hosting Websites:
Imageshack
Photobucket
Imgur
Deviantart
tinypic

The process to actually upload from Deviantart is a bit different though. Right click on your drawing, then select image info. There should be a link that is already highlighted there. Right click, then select copy. That link is the link you place between the IMG Tags that I mentioned earlier.

Imgur is probably one of the easiest to use, as it gives you the entire code (with the IMG tags already in place). It has a label next to it called BBCode. From there you can just paste that link into your thread.

tinypic doesn't require an account, so if you don't wish to make one, this one is always a good option. After you've uploaded it to tinypic, you should see a section labeled IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards, just copy whatever is in the space below it and paste it in your thread. (The IMG tags are already attached so you don't have to worry about using them either)

Hmm, I like the cover art. It definitely piques my interest in your webcomic. It sounds interesting, and I'm looking forward to more of your work.
Last edited by Cerulean on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sly » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:25 pm

Wait wait, okay, I thought you were talking about a different embedding that had to do with having the file itself put into the post...It's just that....I read through the art forum rules and it said specifically NOT to do that due to people with crappy internet D: I actually had it embedded, then remembered the forum rules and then I went back and edited it to a link.

[example]

.__.;; I don't want to assume this is okay, even by veteran speaks. Not when it's written out in the art forum rules? D':
Last edited by Sly on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My writings

Looking Forward.

Postby Cerulean » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:31 pm

The forum automatically resizes large images here, so I wouldn't worry too much about it (at least not here, in your art thread. In other portions of the forum it would be more polite to at least re-size the image so that it doesn't cause the page to load slowly (especially if they're really really big)). So feel free to embed them here if you'd like c:

Or link, whichever you want.
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sly » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:34 pm

I think it might be better if I stick to links. I have a LOT of old artwork I'd like to repost here once I get it uploaded. The comic pages will be pretty big, so I'll link those as well D: Sorry commentor peeps.

Thanks for the input peeps .w.;;;

My writings

Looking Forward.

Postby ari-6 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:38 pm

The sight will compress your images to fit the page. Don't worry about peoples monitors not being able to handle it. All of my images are silly high definition and it still manages

Postby Havoc » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:43 pm

Yeah some of those rules are a bit dated imo. Feel free to post the pictures themselves, instead of the links, as long as the comply with the NSFW rules. Also welcome. c:
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:54 pm

The Art Sect allows you to post your art. You can look into the other threads and see how large some pictures are. As mentioned, pictures that are too large, gets automatically refitted. So, feel free to exercise your wings. Plus, if you ever do break the rules, people will just tell you, you won't be harshly reprimanded on your early offenses.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Havoc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:18 am

You can add a link to your DA or Photobucket account in your signature, if you want.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sly » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:47 pm

My photobucket is a bit cluttered right now. I have like...1300 pix on my photobucket :/ mostly just reuploads of avatars and some of my photography and then random shet. o__o; I have a DA account, but I removed all of my stuff off of it a long time ago. Never liked DA or its community (or maybe they didn't like me and I was reacting *shrug*) Tonight I have some homework to do for an exam tomorrow, but I get out of my classes early tomorrow and I've got the rest of my homework done through all of next week. (good for me because next week is going to be crazy in the production studio >__> I was informed today that we're filming an hour and a half tv show this friday and Saturday.) I've got sketches and I've mapped out, this lil short story comic should be like...11 pages max if I don't draw out the big battles, which I might for the sake of overexaggeration.

In the mean time :0 some of my old, old works. These are about two years old. I rly only did character designs.

This guy is first. His name is Redd, and he's been my main roleplay character for the past...three years I think. He has three predecessors that all faced bad end routes. In the roleplay he was in, over time he found himself being the main antagonist of the roleplay. His character existed inside a video game, hence his design is whatever it wanted to be. Truth be told, his story is also a bad end route but I don't wanna get into it. You'll find out soon enough what happened to him. Roleplays are funny things, you think you control the story, but you never really do.

Asplar, said ex-boyfriend's characters. I made her main design, and then a design for a japanese festival. Asplar dated Redd for a very super short amount of time. They simply never got along even in the slightest. He was insecure, she was a total bitch and he broke up with her after a short time.

Main

Festival

This is a design of some random Mabinogi person's character Ulreki. There was a contest for a new design for him, and I made up something entirely random. Needless to say, I didn't win. Didn't even come close. The response was a blatant "No. o__o" I dunno, I think the person's character was a sue, and depicting him as anything less than an American Frat boy just wasn't gonna fly. I was going California inner city kinda feel I guess.

Side kick of ex-roleplay main bad guy. It's a possessed character belonging and an ex-roleplay citizens named Kouin. [pronounced "Coin"]

Annd then there's Jack. Redd willing taking on the mantle as bad guy :/ Despite the similar colors and physical build, it took the community forever to figure out that Jack was just Redd in a faceless disguise. *SHRUG*

Meraye, character of an ex-friend, another citizen of said roleplay. She was probably the closest thing Redd had to a friend, but she was a peppy and annoying, and a healer class and proved very useless. Redd never really cared for her, but he got lonely to the point he stopped telling her to go away or otherwise outright abandoning her and walking off.

Oh god Creed. Redd had ONE actual friend. An Ai named Creed (his boots should look familiar. it was a bit of a joke in the RP.) Long story short, Creed died one horrible death right before Redd was to deny becoming a bad guy. And well...sometimes it takes an explosion to push someone over the edge. Creed was adorable, helpless, and had no sense of direction, literally.

Ahh and this. Took me like...10 hours. All the detail was done by hand. Redd is on the left, and Sephiran on the right as they are so labeled. Sephiran was Redd's arch nemesis (but Sephiran would be the first to admit that he missed Redd when he left and became the big bad, he missed having someone to fight with and show his darker side to). Oddly enough, Sephiran tended to out-douschebag Redd on almost all occasions, and yet Sephiran became the hero of the story, where Redd found himself steeped in evil and haunted by vengeance. Sephiran's actual character design was Gilgamesh from Fate Stay Zero/Night. The world's most glorious douschebag in his big shiny gold armor. It suited him all too well.

Asplar and Redd doodles, I still think they're kinda cute.

And that's enough for now xD;

edit___

I play stupid amounts of Skyrim :/ Never cared for any archetype except the rogue class. All I do is daggers, stealth and archery, and alchemy. And juuust guess who's my character D:

He's a thief, and I take pride in abiding by thieves guild policies. v__v I don't kill people unless I actually have to. I typically just sneak through dungeons. I don't do a whole lot of fighting if I can help it. Especially after becoming a vampire <__<; Dragons just...blast me into oblivion, buuuut they can't see me in broad effin' daylight, so here we go @__@;; *runawayrunaway* Being a thief is actually one of the few ways to ensure you still have weaknesses when you get to game-breaking levels. I still get caught on occasion .x.;; kinda good to know I can actually NOT be a god at level cap. That would suck.

I drew this pic when I was applying for a Skyrim roleplay, sometime after getting kicked out of my other roleplay. I was desperately looking for somewhere else to play. Redd's application was basically a thief that sucked at everything he did. He used unconventional methods to steal because his lock picking and pick pocketing sucked. Like...smashing windows to get into a place and KO'ing whoever was inside, or propping a door off it's hinges or something. He sucked at sword play, and he got caught regularly and had to pay people to break him out of jail. For the few times he'd succeed at thieving, he'd somehow end up spending all this money on stupid shit like that. The only thing he was decent at was archery.

And yet the mods outright rejected me o__o; they came back with an edit suggestion that was two and a half word doc pages long. No stupid hair color. No old and ragged thieves guild clothing. No being born under a sign that was different than what you were actually doing with your life. No being a Nord from Cyrodil. No having bandits murder your family. No having not blue eyes. (I shit you not.) No being able to revere Talos if you also revere Nocturnal (I don't think they know how religion works, like, at all .__.) No not being good at what you do. No getting caught by city guards and living to tell the tale either. Apparently arrest of any kind = immediate execution.

Looking back, it's okay I got kicked out of there :/ they were guilty of being those roleplayers who bitch and whine and complain about mary sues, and then turn around and are the hugest offenders of mary sueing <__<; The head admin had a high elf that was just pristine perfect at everything magic, and everything fighting and everything trading and crafting. He could summon anything, and he conjured all his weapons so his fighting was pristine. :/ ELF. *big sigh* It taught me to be suspicious of people who dramatically bitch and cry about mary sues as if they're a common problem you see everywhere. In fanfiction, YES. In roleplay, not so much because the community will curbstomp them down, or they should anyway. People who scream about sues tend to be the biggest offenders of mary sueing

My writings

Looking Forward.

Postby OrangeBee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:40 pm

These designs are great man
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
ShitPoster

Postby Sly » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:38 pm

Almost done with the first page of aforementioned story. Lineart is done. I'm not going to color it, for the sake of I'm just not .__. Just going to shade it in and get the backgrounds in. I'll color the 2nd chapter cover page though.

in the mean time, this is the rest of my archive.

Redd as a data monster (remember he existed inside a video game) Was a creepy halloween thing when made.

Just another character draft made for someone. Her name was Arianna.

Xeameres was a character of some jerk named Garrett. He was staff of the rp like...five years ago, and everyone kicked him out cuz he didn't do anything. He had a rly chill character though.

I did this for the guy who played Sephiran. This was an old character of his from a video game he played that turned into his roleplay character. After he made Sephiran, he realized that he never liked Lee Song-Fang. Lee was a nice guy who put on a good face because he was a guildmaster. Sephiran was the player's self-insert. Sephiran was a total douschebag to any and all, and he loved to indulge in his evil nature. He couldn't get enough of Redd because he just loved to fight. Sephiran was only nice to his friends, or people he thought he needed to be nice to for his betterment.

Lee Song-Fang was that lawful good that he hated to be.

The following I drew when I was overseas. I'm American, and I've traveled abroad only twice. Once to germany for several weeks, and then to England for a year, all by myself. I don't want to get into details, but England..just sucked .__. The title of this is "This is how I feel"

EDit___

Oh forgot this one. Hakubo was some girl on a video game site and she needed a design for her RP character. The girl literally gave me like...two sentences of description to go off of, so I just made up the rest myself. I really enjoyed how it turned out, I thought it was the shit. Hakubo herself didn't like it at all whatsoever. Never said why :/

My writings

Looking Forward.

Postby Sly » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:00 pm

Threw this together today, though I'm really just not feeling it today.

Jack Spicer from Xaolin Showdown, one of my favorite gag villians <3 and the only interesting character in all of the show. I had this concept of him being just a few years older, and basically Hannibal made him realize how useless the Shen Gong Wu were. "Science is simply magic explained." Jack realized everything the Shen Gong Wu could do, he could make something to do it. From the sands of time, to the third arm sash, even the orb of tornami. Whereas Dexter and crew are scientists, Jack is more of an engineer and mechanic.

In the story idea, Jack actually tried to leave the world of Xaolin Showdown, after realizing how bad he was at being bad and also realizing the Shen Gong Wu were redundant to him. He returns to a normal life, and enjoys a few years just being a normal kid, and his engineering projects get bigger and louder as his talents in machines grow. He eventually gets a girlfriend and makes plans to go to university in Germany. It's on the eve of his university exam that Wuya returns to him, asking for an alliance. Jack swiftly refuses, claiming that he has long since been done with evil and would rather just pursue his own interests. World domination is a really faulty concept anyway. Wuya murders his girlfriend thinking it will eliminate his distractions from being evil. Jack retaliates with his machines, and Wuya escapes.

Despite Jack having attacked her, Wuya was successful in that it renewed the evil side of Jack that had always been there. Seeking revenge against her, he returns to Asia to wage war on both the Heylin and Xaolin, with intent on destroying the shen gong wu for forever.

"I hardly need the shen gong wu to destroy them, but they need it to destroy me."

edit__

v__v just not feeling it at all.
I'm suppose to go out with my broadcast crew ppl tonight and sing some karaoke. But I'm just...*shrug* Didn''t do any homework today, didn't even procrastinate on the page I've been working on. All I have is a few background items to put in and pewf. done. But I can't be bothered -x-; hardly finished this quickie of Jack.

My writings

Looking Forward.

Postby Sly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:57 pm

First page. I'm trying a different style of story telling than the normal comic. I realized even before I began this that trying to include speech and text would just make the whole thing way more complex than it was. To be able to tell this story, which is literally a dramatized and fantasical version of a bunch of internet kids bitching back and forth over a roleplay website, I would need to simplify it. It's going to be in more or less black and white, and have no text at all whatsoever. It will force me to tell the story with just the pictures.

So .x. here goes.

The img is a lot bigger than this, so if you want to see it in HD, I'll have a link for it as well. Click here to see Page One HD
Last edited by Sly on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

My writings

Looking Forward.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:42 am

Just wondering but did you arrange that page to be read from right to left? Why was that if you don't mind my asking?

Postby Sly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:29 am

lol, ya kno, I didn't even think about that when I made the page. I used to do a lot of sketch comics about two years ago. I kicked out 20 pages of a comic based off of something else, and I also did it in the manga right to left style. *big shrug* I can't say there's any one particular reason why I arranged it right to left, though now I remember SNAFU peeps would be used to the western left to right. Uhm, I guess I arranged it that way simply because that's how I've always drawn comics. I never watched anime; I always just read the manga, simply because you get more story and I never had time to sit through a whole episode of anime. I never really read any western comics books either.

So uhm, yeah :< It's just what I'm used to seeing. I feel like if I tried to arrange it left to right I'd trip myself up or something. I have some mild form of dyslexia, and things just look weird to me if I draw it left to right and panels meld together a little. Actually, when I first started reading through SNAFU comics it was pretty trippy and took several chapters for me to get used to.

My writings

Looking Forward.

Postby Sly » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:12 pm

Doing some practice applying multiple textures to one image. And just playing around with opacity.
Been feeling more and more in the mood to really paint something, but...eh. As silly as it sounds, I don't enjoy coloring at all. I just really love to do some lineart. But I find myself somewhat influenced by the art work that came out of Supercell's "Love is War" Hatsune Miku cover. It's something kinda like this, same artist that did the work for Melt Hard lines and sharp bright accent colors contrasting with a world of crisp grays, blacks and whites.

That's not really what I did here. But I'm hoping to move in that graphic kind of direction.

My writings

Looking Forward.

Postby Cerulean » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:10 am

Well this looks lovely, I love her outfit (particularly the tiered ruffle skirt) c:

For a minute there, I though that her wings were on her head instead of in her back, but then I realized that at the angle her head was turned, it wouldn't have made sense that way (unless she has two wings growing out of one side of her head?).

Also, it's not silly to be content with just doing line art. It all just boils down to our preferences in drawing (in fact, I prefer to not draw line art ( in the sense where you have the outline of everything first, then color/shade everything afterward. I usually draw/paint in sections.)), though those might (or might not) change as we improve/change our styles c:
Keep up the good work! Looking forward to more :D
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sly » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:34 am

Ahhh So I was digging through my files just kinda reliving some memories and I ran across these two. The following is some really old old stuff. One is just a basic concept block, the other I free hand painted in SAI without really doing any line art. Redd had a pet baby dragon named Raolly.

And she was motherflipping adorable in-character. She just loved to love and be loved and be petted and meet people and chew on Redd's hair. But at one point I had a concept of her growing up, and Redd learning to ride her. I painted a concept of an older her, and giving him Dragon Rider armor. Raolly was actually not very smart for a dragon, and typically despite her being older, she always acted like a child. Redd spoiled her though, and deep down, Raolly was always worried about him and his anti-social behavior. Unfortunately for him, her fears kinda eventually came true.

it's definitely REALLY SOFT because of the lack of line art, but I liked how the colors themselves blended. Over time though, I realized I could paint a lot better in Photoshop than I can in sai painter. I don't know why, I just can. I think I really need to download a paintbrush set or something for sai :/ Because photoshop's paintbrushes really did it for me on some other stuff I tried to paint digitially. With Sai I rarely made good progress with the colors.

However, I do have a tutorial for skin shading in SAI that I pulled off of DA. Very complicated due to having so many layers, but I swear I could never get as good of a skin shading than when I followed that layering process. SAI can really paint some good stuff...it's just soo insanely technical <__<;; So despite how I'd rather paint in photoshop, I try to stay painting in SAI, because I know if I follow the layering techniques and stuff despite how confusing and hard it can be, I will end up with a better product. That being said :/ I haven't painted anything in SAI in a long time. I can't think of anything I really want to paint now. I mostly just want to work on the comic.

My writings

Looking Forward.

Postby karauma » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:21 am

I like you're art, you have a really dramatic sense of how to use patterns and grunge, my only complaint is your lack of shading, which makes some of your stuff look a bit flat.
But I love how you did the shading in your drawing of Lee Song Fang, it's really smooth, but also bold, I'd like to see you apply the same kind of shadowing to more of your work.
Bananamancer

Postby Ruxan Kikilin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:04 pm

I really like your use of textures/patterns and character designs. Your last image looks pretty awesome, but I think some contrast is lost on those horns. You can bring them out of the background by adding a background of some sorts, even if it is just a simple gradient background, or heck, you can being in your textures.

And to add onto what karauma brought up, you can try out shading by using different colors instead of shading with a darker version of the same color. Take the dragon for example. Instead of using black, or red + black, try using red + pine green, red + navy blue, or red + burnt orange, and see which one works out best.

Keep up the awesome!
dA
o -o

Postby Sly » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:29 pm

Ehhhh .__. For the record, I'm really not one for shading and painting. I don't really like shading stuff in. I just block in some color because these are character designs for people (majority of my work anyway.) Coloring is one thing, but shading everything just feels like a god given chore -x-;;

My writings

Looking Forward.

Next

Return to Art