Challenge Yourself Redux^2: Contest Three - Reflections

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Challenge Yourself Redux^2: Contest Three - Reflections

Postby Vegedus » Wed May 18, 2011 4:34 am

Ok, fair enough. That just mean we have two main judges instead of three.

The Mirak wrote:So yeah, no offense to anybody, i think you guys are great artists, but as all artists, putting dedication on a certain theme that does not interest you is practically impossible. In more "me" words, lol this fucking sucked.

Well, maaaybe. Historically, reliable judges have been a bigger problem than lack of contestants. We had a decent turn-out at the first one, too. However, yeah, the last two haven't been particularly successful. So either this contest is doomed, or we just need a theme everyone can get in on. I'm considering if there's a more laid-back version of this thing we can do.

Amaranthine Ali wrote:However I still am with my previous statement, I think Hana would have won because she did take the description of the contest and I didn’t really see it in Sam’s and somehow managed to reflect herself in a way she saw it. Sam not so much because does Slenderman really exist? That is what I thought when I first saw it, however Sam could see herself in the mirror and see Slenderman staring right back at her every day, I have no idea.

So I might have to sit on the fence, and say that you both tie at a tie, because I loved both of the results made.
Ali and Mir over and out. ಠ_ಠ I’m never doing this again.

I think you may be a bit uptight about the interpretation of the theme. There's a reflection in Sam's picture, thus it fits the theme. It's not a given that the reflection HAVE to be about what oneself see's in the mirror, because that's not what we voted for. We just voted for "reflections" which has a variety of interpretations.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Wed May 18, 2011 4:42 am

Alright then. Anyway, my suggestion for the laid back version is that.. Write down a list of themes and do it like an art jam thing, no submission deadlines. Just anything. something like the 100 themes that floats around in dA. Perhaps?

Postby Vegedus » Wed May 18, 2011 5:34 am

That's a bad idea. I wonder if there's a way we could work some feedback or judging of some sort into that concept (that, or I could just stalk it and comment on everything because I'm going to be bored this summer anywy).

I think we'll try one more of these CYs, and if it flops, we'll try something like that.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hana » Wed May 18, 2011 3:10 pm

Mirak, for future reference, you should tell people how they can improve, rather than just shooting their art down. CY is about becoming a better artist, not about putting your work out there to have people tell you it looks bad. Getting up the courage to put stuff up is hard enough without the fear that the judge is going to tell you that your work is shit.

I'm soured now, and I don't think I'll be entering the next CY.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Wed May 18, 2011 3:25 pm

That was rather my fault as well. I'm sorry Hana. I really didn't know what I was doing, I thought Mirak might.

Postby Vegedus » Wed May 18, 2011 3:35 pm

But I'll be judging the next CY D:
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hana » Wed May 18, 2011 3:44 pm

Even if you're not an artist or an art critic, you can still be a great judge.

All you have to do is follow an easy format: "I really liked A. I think you can improve upon C."

It's extremely important to start off with a positive thing about the work, though, and not say anything that insinuates that you don't like the piece or that it's bad or that the artist is bad. While I'm a big enough girl to brush it off, it is still a rather painful blow to the artistic ego.

I spent over 45 hours on that piece working on an experimental concept that was difficult to me as an artist to achieve. I didn't get the results I wanted, but you know what? I tried. I challenged myself and I learned some things, and that's what this contest is about.

Also, to Sam, I think your entry was lovely and your vision was very well executed. I really, really love how you paid close attention to detail, such as the lacrimal. Also, looking at your reference gallery, I think you really challenged yourself here, most noticeably with the inclusion of a more detailed background. Good show on you, and keep up the good work, sister!

>>Veg...If my ego heals in time and the theme is something inspiring, I may enter...Right now, though, I feel bitchy and vindictive and will be temporarily witholding the wonderment of my journey through my artwork.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Wed May 18, 2011 3:48 pm

Yes, I understand Hana. ;3; I will do better next time if I ever judge.

Postby Marquis de Soth » Wed May 18, 2011 3:48 pm

Hana wrote:All you have to do is follow an easy format: "I really liked A. I think you can improve upon C."

Aren't you supposed to follow the sandwich method? You start with something good, then you let them know what could be improved and then finish with something else that is good.
Marquis de Soth

Postby Vegedus » Wed May 18, 2011 4:09 pm

I've heard that as well. Don't necessarily follow it, though.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby sam4books » Wed May 18, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks Hana. I really think you did good as well :) I like the trippy effect you made. I didn't even know the room had columns until I read your description.

Seriously, you did great :3
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Wed May 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Hana wrote:Mirak, for future refeblahblah
I sent you a PM, i hope you find it instructive and hurtful.

For everyone's information, i agreed to assist Ali on judging, but not to post what i though about the entries, this is, my own judgement. I am a very blunt person and i prefer to use simpler terms to qualify the stuff i want (so if i think something is shit, i say "this is shit", i don't place a sugar coating unless i'm writing it specifically for public display), but i know how to be polite and write honest reviews. If what Ali posted back there had been my review, you would have found it palatable even to the most "fragile hearted", troubled artists.

When i actually judged the pieces, i did so with amaranthine ali via messeger, what Ali posted on the page back was my reply to her "OMG I DONO WHO WINS" pm that was absolutely NOT for posting on the forum, and yet she was retarded and posted so without even asking. Via msn I did express what i liked, what i didn't like and what could be improved so SHE WOULD POST THAT, but again, i didn't even consider saving such information because i thought ali knew what she was doing.

Clearly she didn't, which she has been constantly and persistently saying in the last pages.
Patt-Ytto Productions | Dickwaffles

Postby Marquis de Soth » Wed May 18, 2011 10:29 pm

Well at least this can be taken as a learning experience when choosing a judge and being accepting of a judge's verdict, even if doesn't seem nice to you.
Marquis de Soth

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Wed May 18, 2011 10:32 pm

When i saw Ali posting my pm response, i was honestly pissed and chewed at her via msn, but it was too late to remove it, and i knew hana had read it, which basically made a guarantee on dramallamas showing up, and they did.

How very, very sad.

Postby Marquis de Soth » Wed May 18, 2011 10:42 pm

I would've thought that people would know what to expect when they asked you to help judge?
Marquis de Soth

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Wed May 18, 2011 10:49 pm

Almost everyone does, then there's Hana. Hana NEVER copes well with anything that is said to her that doesn't include at least ten positives for every negatives.

To be honest i admit i don't understand how "artists" have "pride" and how said "pride" can be hurt so easily, since i'm a graphics designer and not an artist per se. Art is free for interpretation, while graphic design follows a certain objective. Curiously enough, this is "Challenge Yourself" with an "Objective" to follow, so yeah, maybe the point is to challenge yourself and whatever, but if all pieces are to be judged, then you must challenge yourself and make something presentable at the same time.

Whenever i work with a client, a scenario when he or she literally throws the sketches on my face is common, if i "got hurt" every little time one of them told me the design was shit, i would be starving and wouldn't be able to pay college.

Postby Vegedus » Thu May 19, 2011 4:29 am

While I agree it was probably a bad idea to publish a PM (the whole purpose of them being that you can be as blunt as you want), you're only perpetuating the drama here Mirak. I'd suggest we lock this thread and drop the subject like a rock.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Thu May 19, 2011 7:26 am

Very well.

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Thu May 19, 2011 10:45 am

I felt bad about the whole thing and still didn't know what I was doing. I should have thought of what to do better and for that I do apologize, anyway next time it will not happen.

Previous

Return to Art