Challenge Yourself Redux^2: Contest Three - Reflections

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Challenge Yourself Redux^2: Contest Three - Reflections

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Mon May 02, 2011 5:18 am

CHALLENGE YOURSELF REDUX REDUX: CONTEST THREE

Challenge Yourself is an official Snafu Art forum contest. It operates on a bi-weekly(ish) cycle, as explained below. As the title suggests, the idea is not to best each other, but to best yourself!

THEME
Reflections
The image of something as reflected by a mirror (or other reflective material); "he studied his reflection in the mirror"
How would we see ourselves if we had looked into the mirror, would we see something entirely like ourselves or would there be someone else looking right back at you?

RULES
Only visual art allowed, though all forms of digital, traditional, sprite, vector or other forms of such is allowed. Art must conform with the Snafu Art forum rules. Please link very large pictures and tag and link severely NSFW art (small amounts of nudity and violence is fine).

Art must be created WITHIN the cycle time. You MAY NOT use art you created last week, last month, last year, or ever before this cycle. These pieces may be posted as demonstration of the theme, but MUST be marked as previous work.

Multiple submissions totally allowed. Only the best will be judged, however.
Include a link to your art thread, deviant art or other gallery in your post or sig for easy reference for the judge.
Submissions must be related to the theme in some way. This is fairly open to interpretation, but it should be obvious to the viewer how it relates.
The judge cannot submit contest entries.

Judging
Submissions will be judged by me (Amaranthine Ali Oh God help me. D: and The Mirak). The criteria for judging are:
CREATIVITY, EXECUTION (skill), EXPERIMENTATION and EFFORT. Please note that you are judged against YOURSELF (your previous demonstrated works) and not so much against each other! In this contest, a new artist who puts in a tremendous amount of creativity and effort can defeat an experienced artist who has more skill and experience, but didn't push themselves. Further, breaking out of your usual style, or using different tools than you are used to, and trying something new in general is also viewed favorably.

In other words, if you draw some images that took five minutes and/or you put no effort in them what so ever, you won't make it in the top three, no matter how good you are.

Challenge Yourself currently has two judges, Amaranthine Ali and The Mirak. Only one judge is in charge and judges a single contest, and the others may post submissions as all other contestants. The main judge may only post exhibition pieces, which do not count as entries into the contest. If the main judge is not able to end the contest, another may step in and end the contest and start the next. Their entries will then be considered exhibition pieces.

At the end of judging, first, second and third place will be posted with short comments, plus any honorable mentions at the behest of the judge.

The Process
Challenges operate on a three week cycle. The contest officially begins on

MONDAY: Contest begins, submissions accepted. Submissions will be accepted until the MONDAY after next, 2 weeks later. (Start: Monday, May 2)

MONDAY TWO WEEKS LATER: No more submissions accepted. Entries will be judged. I will announce the closing some 10 hours before. Theme suggestions for the next challenge begin.
I reserve the right to reject challenge suggestions based on vagueness, being too similar
to a recent challenge, or infeasibility. (Submission period ends Monday, May 16th)

FRIDAY: Winners will be announced. Voting for the theme for the next contest begins.

MONDAY: Next contest starts.

Good Luck, Have Fun! ... Again!

Re: Challenge Yourself Redux^2: Contest Three - Reflections

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Mon May 02, 2011 5:53 am

This time i'll be a judge too.
Everyone please do your best. :D
Patt-Ytto Productions | Dickwaffles

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Mon May 02, 2011 6:12 am

Thanks for helping Mir. <3

Everyone get to it! Will be looking forward to seeing what everyone brews up. :3

Postby Vegedus » Mon May 02, 2011 6:27 am

The Mirak, ladies and gents! Getting to it!
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hana » Fri May 06, 2011 11:04 am

I just realized that my concept is going to make my render time be, like, 8 hours.....

I'd better get to it!
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Hana » Fri May 13, 2011 3:33 pm

I am currently rendering for what I hope is the final time. I hope to have my submission up before I go to bed.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Vegedus » Fri May 13, 2011 3:41 pm

I... Might or might not get done. We'll see. I have an exam tomorrow, so there's that.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hana » Fri May 13, 2011 5:30 pm

Okay. Here it is.

I knew it was going to be hard, but I think I made it a lot harder than I initially anticipated. Aside from the figure, every surface is flat black with 100% reflection applied. There is absolutely no texture. The geometry of the room is a 16-sided room with columns in between each side, and a filigree dome under a full half-sphere.

The camera is not pointed at the figure. It is pointed at one of the walls. This was a pain to engineer the right placement, as I had to anticipate the behavior of the four lights in the scene. There is an IBL, a main diffuse light, a specular rim light, and a central point light that is both specular and diffuse.

The final render took 2 hours, 38 minutes, and 29 seconds to finish and there are 10 raytrace bounces.

Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Asmodai » Fri May 13, 2011 6:58 pm

I've been postponing this day after day after day... aaargh I'm procrastinating for something I should enjoy! Dx
Even though I have such a vivid idea ready to be put on digital paper.
Mephobiac
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Sat May 14, 2011 5:08 am

Oooh, Hana. That looks good. <___< but as far has the time is going it looks like you will win by default. :B

Postby Vegedus » Sat May 14, 2011 7:13 am

Asmodai wrote:I've been postponing this day after day after day... aaargh I'm procrastinating for something I should enjoy! Dx

I know right? Myself, I'm procrastinating when it comes to all art as of late.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Morpheus » Sat May 14, 2011 8:20 am

Vegedus wrote:
Asmodai wrote:I've been postponing this day after day after day... aaargh I'm procrastinating for something I should enjoy! Dx

I know right? Myself, I'm procrastinating when it comes to all art as of late.

I haven't drawn anything in weeks.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Asmodai » Sat May 14, 2011 8:28 am

I'm drawing stuff, but not the stuff I can enter here

Unless the theme suddenly shifts to landscapes, then I'm good >.>
Mephobiac
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Sat May 14, 2011 8:31 am

Lawl. That'd be convenient.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Sat May 14, 2011 9:31 am

Hmm. Next theme. a MAGICAL LANDSCAPE? WITH UNICORNS ? Would that suit you Asmo? <__<

Postby Asmodai » Sat May 14, 2011 12:23 pm

YES, minus the unicorns... I cant draw animals for shit

Screw that, I want the next comp to be "SEXY WOMAN" I seem to have a knack for that
Mephobiac
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby sam4books » Mon May 16, 2011 5:59 pm

DEAR GOD. THIS PICTURE.

I lost count as to how many layers I used.

But I'm done DX

Da Reference Gallery
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby Asmodai » Tue May 17, 2011 6:32 am

Aaargh thats two missed challenges in a row. I shame myself

Also, Sam. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this as I'm not a judge. But where is the reflection in your piece? I can see the reflection of the woman, but I cant really figure out what is happening. I see a branch suddenly appearing out of nowhere and a door floating mid-air. It's highly confusing (for me, perhaps I'm missing something).

Absolutely love the style though, it reminds me of something I can't put my finger on. But it's something good.
Mephobiac
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Tue May 17, 2011 7:03 am

I knew it was going to be rather hard to depict yourself as how you see YOURSELF in your own reflection. But in a way I was still curious to see how it would come out and I think Hana was the only one to achieve this out of both Sam and Hana.

I'm going to talk to Mir and come back with the results asap. :3 I could, however extend the submission deadline a couple of days to allow you in Asmo and if there was anyone else who would have also wanted to but couldn't. Sometimes just two weeks for a deadline is a bit slim.

Postby Asmodai » Tue May 17, 2011 7:22 am

I don't think that would be very fair, there was a deadline set and I didn't make it.
I'll enter the next one, and start a bit more on time.
Mephobiac
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby sam4books » Tue May 17, 2011 10:24 am

Asmodai wrote:Aaargh thats two missed challenges in a row. I shame myself

Also, Sam. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this as I'm not a judge. But where is the reflection in your piece? I can see the reflection of the woman, but I cant really figure out what is happening. I see a branch suddenly appearing out of nowhere and a door floating mid-air. It's highly confusing (for me, perhaps I'm missing something).

Absolutely love the style though, it reminds me of something I can't put my finger on. But it's something good.

She's standing in front of a window ;D

the main reflection is the room she's dancing in, which has a mirror in it (but I became too lazy to go all out/didn't have enough time), Slendy is outside.

Although he could be inside as well ^o.o^
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby Vegedus » Tue May 17, 2011 10:59 am

Oh, window, not mirror. That explains a lot.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Tue May 17, 2011 10:58 pm

Hmm about to show my true colours as a judge who doesn’t know what she is talking about.

I will basically quote what Mirak said in PM to me.
The Mirak wrote:I believe sam wins. Hana took the description of the contest a bit too literally, and her results honestly don't look good. A 3D render with cinematic reflection on every surface doesn't produce very good results, whereas Sam, apart from choosing another style, managed to execute the theme perfectly.

However I still am with my previous statement, I think Hana would have won because she did take the description of the contest and I didn’t really see it in Sam’s and somehow managed to reflect herself in a way she saw it. Sam not so much because does Slenderman really exist? That is what I thought when I first saw it, however Sam could see herself in the mirror and see Slenderman staring right back at her every day, I have no idea.

So I might have to sit on the fence, and say that you both tie at a tie, because I loved both of the results made.
Ali and Mir over and out. ಠ_ಠ I’m never doing this again.

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Tue May 17, 2011 11:16 pm

To be honest guys Ali asked me to help her judge this out. I don't visit the art forum frequently since 2008 and last i paid attention, we had cancelled these kind of events because nobody would participate. If things are still like that, i don't see why you guys are continuing the contests.

So yeah, no offense to anybody, i think you guys are great artists, but as all artists, putting dedication on a certain theme that does not interest you is practically impossible. In more "me" words, lol this fucking sucked.
Patt-Ytto Productions | Dickwaffles

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Tue May 17, 2011 11:19 pm

I actually agree with what Mirak said. I do, and I shouldn't have attempted to do this when Vegedus had asked me. I didn't really know what I was doing. <___< >___> so that's when I did ask Mir since I knew he might know more upon the mediums when.. I have rather limited knowledge. You are ALL great artists.

Next

Return to Art