Behold, I finally got around to fixing it!
Thanks Lily, I used your edit as a reference for fixing this. I'm hoping
(crossed fingers) it looks better now. I can see some other things that need tweaking, but to honest I could spend hours tweaking it and still not be happy with it.
See if you can spot the differences between the original pic and the fixed one ;D
And yes, I just discovered how to make the background transparent. I might not be keeping it that way for the final piece, though...it was just a little bit of an experiment.
Unless there's anything drastically wrong with it (please let me know if you spot anything), next step will be to shade/colour it properly...finally :P