Doctress Who's Art thread~Charles & Romana [WIP, VERSION 2]~

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Doctress Who's Art thread~Charles & Romana [WIP, VERSION 2]~

Postby Doctress Who » Mon May 03, 2010 11:21 am

Welcome to my Art Thread!

Well I decided to finally put some of my work up here. I do a lot of Dr Who fan art (obviously), but also other things too.

Some things you should know before hand:

1. I’m terrible at updating. Expect this thread to die for a long time before I post any new material.
    2. I do a lot of paintings and works off the computer too, but alas I do not have a scanner and nor do I have the proper space and lighting to take pictures of my canvas works.
    3. My style seems to change constantly. Seriously, almost every drawing I do ends up different, unless I cheat and copy/paste or trace it. I never seem to quite settle on a particular drawing technique. I don’t know whether that is a good or a bad thing.

Anyway, here’s a few of my works done on computer, using photoshop but alas without a tablet:

These are some rough head studies of some feline OC’s of mine. I love drawing cats.

Some rough studies of ‘Rose Tyler’ from Doctor Who, done in two different styles.
Colours are only blocked in since it’s just me experimenting.

Rose Line art (WIP)

The Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) Line art

Final coloured version of The Tenth Doctor (This took a really long time to finish)
Last edited by Doctress Who on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hiryu: Doc's bag is a portal. She's actually from another dimension and when she jumped into it, she ended up at a desk with a browser open on this site. That's how she found it.
We have a Doctor Who thread now. Doctor Who threads are cool.
Time Lady

Re: Doctress Who's Art thread

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Mon May 03, 2010 1:39 pm

These are pretty good. You'll have to forgive me my child but I'm laughing because when I first saw your thread my first thought was

"I will go inside and do a Dr. Who joke even though she probably doesn't actually draw any."
A Pimp Named Jeezy Creezy: Lasting all the way up to Valentine's.

And the Pimpeth lord sat amidst his real ballin' players, the Apostles, and raisingeth his cup of Cristal as they devoured the grapes and cheese from the finest bitches in town he said

"Sleepery Dee, Sleepery Doo.
Whoever betrays me tonight, I'll mo'fuckin' cap you!"

Postby Doctress Who » Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 pm

How did I guess?

Yeah, I do draw Dr Who stuff, but it's very tame. Nothing distasteful. And thank you for the compliment.
Hiryu: Doc's bag is a portal. She's actually from another dimension and when she jumped into it, she ended up at a desk with a browser open on this site. That's how she found it.
Time Lady

Postby Riz » Mon May 03, 2010 1:53 pm

=o do you have a tablet or are you drawing with your mouse here?

if you're drawing with a mouse I'm very impressed, especially with that coloring job.

your stuff looks pretty good =)
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Postby Doctress Who » Mon May 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Nope, no tablet. Just using a mouse and a lot of patience.
And thank you :D
Time Lady

Postby Riz » Mon May 03, 2010 2:04 pm

XD oh, I see in your OP you already answered my question. must have missed that line.

I hope to see some more of your stuff before you let this die for a while
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Postby Doctress Who » Mon May 03, 2010 2:11 pm

It really depends on how busy I am.
I've got a few other drawings at different stages of completion, but it depends if I can find the time to finish them. I'm pretty new to photoshop, so it's very time consuming...which is partly the reason I won't be updating very often.

As I get better with photoshop (provided I'm not bogged down with other things), I'll probably update quicker.
Time Lady

Postby Jasthn » Mon May 03, 2010 2:31 pm

All this is done on a mouse? :0 I'm speechless, it's very well done for just the mouse.

3. My style seems to change constantly. Seriously, almost every drawing I do ends up different, unless I cheat and copy/paste or trace it. I never seem to quite settle on a particular drawing technique. I don’t know whether that is a good or a bad thing.

It's not bad at all. If I told you how many style's I went through(if I could even count that high), your mind would be boggled. Tracing isn't bad either, unless someone else says otherwise. I think it can help someone get more steady lines, and a fell for drawing in the future.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.
Doctress Who:You can be my Brony bitch ;D
Droctress Who:Jas, would you like me to make you a sandwich?
JesusChrist: Well if you insist Jasthn I'll use it with you. Spread them cheeks

Tragedy_and_Comedy: Jas is about as dangerous as a kitten.
Blood Lord:I hit your dog with mah truck. :3
Lenore Celestalis:*jumps on your back* weee~
That guy.

Postby Doctress Who » Mon May 03, 2010 3:02 pm

Jasthn wrote:All this is done on a mouse? :0 I'm speechless, it's very well done for just the mouse.
Thanks very much :D Trying to do the pin-stripes in the last picture, with only a mouse, was a pain in the arse, lol. Thank god for the rubber tool on photoshop, is all I can say. It helped me with straightening and smoothing out the lines, a lot.

Jasthn wrote:It's not bad at all. If I told you how many style's I went through(if I could even count that high), your mind would be boggled. Tracing isn't bad either, unless someone else says otherwise. I think it can help someone get more steady lines, and a fell for drawing in the future.
Haha, thanks.
Time Lady

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Mon May 03, 2010 3:25 pm

I don't wanna brag but I can do some stickmen that would cause the apocalypse.

And the Pimpeth lord sat amidst his real ballin' players, the Apostles, and raisingeth his cup of Cristal as they devoured the grapes and cheese from the finest bitches in town he said

Postby Doctress Who » Mon May 03, 2010 3:29 pm

You should make an art thread and show us!
Although if it's going to cause the apocalypse, best save it for later.
Time Lady

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Mon May 03, 2010 3:35 pm

I can't holy-fi lyrics, bring the funnies, defend the newbies as their shepherd, be the voice of reason AND draw an art thread all at the same time. I'm afraid child, you'll have to wait before the drawings appear.

Postby Doctress Who » Mon May 03, 2010 4:05 pm

Ah, that's a shame.
But luckily I have the patience of a saint. I can wait for it.
Time Lady

Postby Fievel » Mon May 03, 2010 5:03 pm

Doctress Who, drawing Doctor Who? I was not expecting that at all. All that aside, however, they're pretty good.
Offended.

Postby Doctress Who » Tue May 04, 2010 7:08 am

Inorite?

Thanks, Fie.
Time Lady

Postby Chuckledarkly » Tue May 04, 2010 11:24 am

I like cats. they make me laugh just looking at them. keep drawing. =3
Check Out My Art

-----> viewtopic.php?t=23012Cheak <-----

Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.
Proud Member of BEOS

Postby Doctress Who » Tue May 04, 2010 11:51 am

Thank you.
I like cats too, that's why I draw them :3 They make interesting story characters, too.
Time Lady

Re: Doctress Who's Art thread~~The TimeLady and Matilda~~

Postby Doctress Who » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:50 am

Finally! I have updated. And more work is on it’s way soon…(ish)

Jenny The Time Lady

A Doctor-Who-character-turned-Superhero. This is an illustration I did a while ago for an RP. Colouring’s a bit basic and the lines are a bit messy and tacky (something I’m not happy with), I might do a better coloured version if I can be bothered if I have time.

Also, I take no credit for the face, as I admittedly did trace it and then modified it. (I’m so ashamed) :x But everything else was drawn completely free-hand by me.
Credit goes to the BBC for Doctor Who and all its associated characters/items.

Matilda Brooks

An OC of mine. I adapted her for an RP and gave her some subtle cat-like features, but originally I created her as an ordinary eleven year-old child. A little, mischievous, unruly kind of street-kid kind of character from one of my stories.

This one is a WIP sketch of her. I wanted to explore what she would look like when frightened (as normally she’s the kind of character who wouldn’t get scared, at least not easily).

And this is a fully-coloured portrait version of her:

And yeah, I know the proportions are terrible. Her head and face are far too big, even for a child character…but I’m pleased with the colouring. I’m surprised the hair turned out so well…I think I’m going to use the smudge tool more often, it creates an amazing effect.
Time Lady

Postby Chuckledarkly » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 am

:up: the hair dose look good. nice to see you update been a long while ^^
Check Out My Art

Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.
Proud Member of BEOS

Postby Doctress Who » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:13 am

Thanks.
Ha, progress is slow, but still moving. Think I might be able to turn out another drawing or too before the end of the month, will any luck ;3
Time Lady

Postby TheGreekDollmaker » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:49 am

Not really that excisting but i can see that you are trying.

Incidently when was this thread created ?
Please check my art thread.

--- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47376 ---

“Offending people is healthy. Every time you say something that’s offensive to another person, you just force them to think.”
— Louis C.K.

Postby Doctress Who » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:42 pm

TheGreekDollmaker wrote:Not really that excisting but i can see that you are trying.
Um thanks for the...backhanded compliment...

Is there any constructive criticism you can offer me? Like, for example, how is it 'not really that exciting'? How can I improve, etc?

TheGreekDollmaker wrote:Incidently when was this thread created ?

Check the date. It tells you at the bottom left-hand corner of the first post.
Time Lady

Postby Chuckledarkly » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:37 pm

I'd say the way you could improve from where you are now at the moment would be practice lines. I know it sounds kinda dumb and boring but never underestimate a smooth line. I hope i help'd. =3
Check Out My Art

Proud Member of BEOS

Postby Doctress Who » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:47 pm

Yes, thankyou :3

I know, my lines are terrible. It's the way I draw, I think. My drawings have always been kinda...sketchy xD Which is great on paper (and paintings), but looks tacky on photoshop. I'm working on it, though.

I'm finding on photoshop I have to draw out my design, then spend ages with the rubber tool trying to smooth-out the lines. It's very time-consuming and tedious, which is why I tend to slack off and go straight to the colouring. But hey, might set me back a few weeks, but if it makes my drawings look better, I'll do it. :3
Time Lady

Postby Fievel » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:59 pm

You know, Doc, your style seems very familiar. But from where? Also, it looks nice. Damn. This is gonna bug me all day.
Offended.

Next

Return to Art