Snafu OC Battle League - Ready to roll!

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Snafu OC Battle League - Ready to roll!

Postby Black » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:51 am

Code: Select all
--Snafu.Original.Character---
-----------------------------
--SS----OO-----CC--BBB--L----
-S--S--O--O---C--C-B--B-L----
-S----O----O-C-----B--B-L----
--SS--O----O-C-----BBB--L----
----S-O----O-c-----B--B-L----
-S--S--O--O---C--C-B--B-L----
--SS----OO-----CC--BBB--LLLL-
-----------------------------
--------Battle.League--------

What is SOCBL?
Basically, it's a place where you can have a "duel" with any of the characters you created (and registered to the league) against any character other people made (and registered). It can be a fight, a game of chess, cards, board game, anything you can think of that might end up interesting.

How to enter/register?
All you need to do is make a reference sheet (in any format) for your OC and submit it. Unless your OC's god-modded or otherwise redicilously overpowered, you'll most likely get accepted.

How to duel?
Since the main purpose of these duels is to have fun, competitors simply have to agree on a duel and choose the following:
1) What kind of a duel? (Fight, card game, deathmatch in computer game,... ?)
2) Place of dueling? (Where do the OCs meet to have a duel?)
3) Length of a duel? (How long can competitors work on their comic for the duel?)
After all of these have been agreed on, competitors can submit it and their duel will get a judge assigned to it. During the "duel period" competitors are to submit their comics which should show their OC winning at a set duel. After the "duel period" is over, judge will look at both entries and declare a winner, whose story will be considered canonical (what really happened). If both competitors agree to it, they can have a duel extension (if one or both of them haven't finished their entries yet).

Multiple OCs?
Having more than 1 OC is completely allowed, but remember that there's only one of you drawing the duel comics for all your OCs.

Judges as contestants?
It is also allowed for a SOCBL judge to have an OC in the league. Of course, he can't judge a duel he's in himself, but another SOCBL judge will be assigned and he'll be treated as any other contestant in that duel.

Judging - what we value?
Judging criteria is as follows:
1) Creativity/Storytelling/Experimantation, /*(Most Valued)*/
2) Effort,
3) Visual Appeal; /*(Least Valued, but still considered)*/

Judges:
Black
Shoi
Vegedus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People in the league:
0GravityDragon

OCs:
Henry
Reference Sheet
Wins/Losses: 0/0
Asmodai

OCs:
Jessica Bublanski
*No profile pic yet*
*No ref yet*

Asobi

OCs:
Ringa
Reference Sheet
Black

OCs:
Dranton Riley
Reference Sheet
Deena

OCs:
Deena Greenwater
Reference Sheet
Demon619

OCs:
Knochen
Reference Sheet
Engravement

OCs:
Court Valence
Reference Sheet
IDMMorgan

OCs:
Ultimatum
Reference
Ionix Baelgos

b]OCs:[/b]
Effex
*No profile pic yet*
*No ref yet*

Unit Icus
*No profile pic yet*
*No ref yet*

Monoceru

OCs:
Devini
Reference Sheet
mykie274143

OCs:
Malize
Reference Sheet
NightingaleMuse

OCs:
Erica Days
Reference Sheet
Noerusan

OCs:
Shinsei Hokatana
Reference Sheet
sam1027

OCs:
Spira
Reference Sheet
TheGreekDollmaker

OCs:
Angelo Theodorakis
Reference Sheet
Weapons
visi:

OCs:
Tuli
Reference Sheet

Remedius Gilliardi
Reference Sheet

ZoulArt

OCs:
Tumas 2.5
Reference Sheet
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Duels:

Tuli VS Tumas 2.5
Type of Duel: Chase
Area of Battle: Court's Town
Length of Battle: 2 Months (???)
Judge: Vegedus
Starts On: 8th Feb 2010.

Spira VS Angelo Theodorakis
Type of Duel: Fight (?)
Area of Battle: ???
Length of Battle: ???
Judge: Black
Starts On: ?? ?? 2010.

Spira VS Erica Days
Type of Duel: Treasure Hunt
Area of Battle: School Yard
Length of Battle: 3.5 - 4 weeks
Judge: ???
Starts On: 23rd September 2010.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finished Duels:
//none yet
Last edited by Black on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:30 am, edited 44 times in total.
Click to visit my art thread.

Re: Snafu OC Battle League - Let's get it started!

Postby Shoi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:59 am

I'm going to go ahead and actually join this one as a contender and possibly a judge if you need me to. Also, what happened with the prizes on the other one? I'm sorry I wasn't on to offer my services but if the winner still wants a drawing, I'm up to do one.
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Do you know where i live? Fucking Barbados.
Whatis6times9:
It was about as easy as... Goddammit, it is to easy. And to me a whore is just a slut with a good sense of enterprise.

Postby Vegedus » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:14 am

I wonder if we actually need a setting. While a default one wouldn't hurt I guess, since duels are everything-goes, I think characters and settings should be as well. Since there's no overall goal or story, no coherency between different fights, I don't see why we need a shared setting to bind them together either. I see no reason why we can't have one fight in Dragula's Castle and another in space.

Something else I'd like to talk about: This is a league. While randomly fighting each other is all good and dandy, we don't really need this much organisation for that. Since we have a league, and judges, we should have some sort of point system. Essentially, people win points for winning battles. Alternatively, since art is harder to judge than sports, we could just give an amount of points between 1 and 10 for each entry, so that the loser still gains something if they put in a lot of effort. Then, after a year or so we could declare season 1 done and the one with the most points could get a prize or something. And then start over. Like?

Related, I think it would be good if we stated what we prioritize when judging. Effort? Creativity? l33t sk1llz?

Lastly, I'll gladly participate and judge. Zoulart has more or less already accepted me as a OCT judge, so that's my credentials.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Black » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:09 pm

@Shoi:
In "Snafu O.C.T.", one of the prizes is a commission from you (you forgot? o.O ). Last round should end within few days (and will be followed by few days of judging), unless we have an extension. 2nd "Snafu O.C.T." auditions will start as soon as 1st one is over.
I welcome you as a judge and, as soon as you enter a character, as a member, too.

@Vegedus:
True, it's not really neccessary, it's mostly there to remind people that their OC creation is limited only by their creativity/imagination and explain how can a medieval-looking character meet a cyborg, for example, and then engage him in a duel. It is simply the world in which Dracula's castle and space-stations can both exist.
I like the point system and rewarding the effort of those who don't win. Sounds great. I'm just not sure if we should "restart" after a season. Not sure about the prizes, either. This was meant to be used mostly for fun, not as a contest like O.C.T..
I had a similar conversation with Zoul when 1st O.C.T. started. I think we should judge the visual appeal of the entries, as well as creativity put to making their story/comedy/what-not. Of course, effort shouldn't be forgoten, either, but effort can be rewarded with more points if we use the point system, right?
Your creative critique is well-known on Snafu (or at least to me XD), so you're welcome as a judge and, as soon as you submit your character, as a participant.

Postby Shoi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:14 pm

No I didn't forget lol. I've just been gone for a good while so I wasn't sure if the 1st OCT was over or not.

I'll get up a character sheet up asap for this :)
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Do you know where i live? Fucking Barbados.
Whatis6times9:
It was about as easy as... Goddammit, it is to easy. And to me a whore is just a slut with a good sense of enterprise.

Postby Black » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:37 pm

I'll probably have a character of my own "registered" soon, I'm just not sure which one to use XD

Postby Monkeys85 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:06 pm

It would really be helpful if you could submit an example entry, or I'm willing to wait until someone submits one to make mine.

Postby visi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:44 pm

I'll stick to the OCT for now. o u o ;
    Don't want to get insanely busy like Zega. <33333
thomas is a nerd

Postby Vegedus » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:48 am

Oh yeah, baby. You know you want a bite of this. Tastiest judge around fo' sho.

Black wrote:True, it's not really neccessary, it's mostly there to remind people that their OC creation is limited only by their creativity/imagination and explain how can a medieval-looking character meet a cyborg, for example, and then engage him in a duel. It is simply the world in which Dracula's castle and space-stations can both exist.

Still, a setting where "both magic and technology exist" isn't unlimited. Maybe it doesn't disallow, but it discourages modern, realistic characters, and lovecraftian horror scenarios. Even mediaval style characters, without magic, are discouraged. Because there's a lot of technology, this is still a science fiction setting, and character concepts are implied to bend to that. It's just the leniency that "well, character who uses magic as weaponry is cool too". Alternatively, the most free setting I can think of would be a dimension hopping one.

"Welcome, to the City of Gates. This is the nexus of all time, all space and all reality. Here, your wildest dreams are just a step away. But I see you've not come for a vacation. We've had an odd influx of people just passing through, wanting to battle people in other eras. Also, I'm ashamed to admit this, but this realm have been leaking into others. Some people are even transported into other dimensions without their consent. It's all rather chaotic, I must admit. Well, no matter, it's sure to be entertaining... Don't you think?"

I like the point system and rewarding the effort of those who don't win. Sounds great. I'm just not sure if we should "restart" after a season. Not sure about the prizes, either. This was meant to be used mostly for fun, not as a contest like O.C.T..

It's still a contest, just a contest for bragging rights :D.

But yeah, we don't need a prize or anything. The restart idea is mostly because at some point, someone might get so far ahead in points that there'd be no reason to pursue them.

I think we should judge the visual appeal of the entries, as well as creativity put to making their story/comedy/what-not. Of course, effort shouldn't be forgoten, either, but effort can be rewarded with more points if we use the point system, right?

I'm personally of the mind that just how "pretty" and well executed overall the entry is shouldn't be the main judging criteria. People from this forum have very varying amounts of experience and skill levels, and everyone should have a fair stab at competing. A single artist whose simply better than everyone else could end of besting every competition. I like something more like for instance Challenge Yourself where the winner was simply the one who challenged themselves the most. I'd judge in the order of creativity/storytelling/experimentation, effort and visual appeal. Those that are actually good at drawing also often put in a lot of effort and creativity, so it's not like 12 year olds who frankly sucks would win all the time.

Either way, whatever we decide on, it needs to be public and available. Right up there in the first post.

Postby Deena » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:31 am

This sounds interesting.8D

Shouldn't there be a format for OC entries, though?

Postby Black » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:34 am

@ZoulArt:
Thanks for the stickifying.

@Visi:
It's all cool, take whichever you prefer.

@Monkeys85 & Deena:
You are free to use any format for making a reference sheet. It's supposed to have your OC's name, drawing/picture of your OC and relevant info on your OC. It's preferable to also state race, gender, age and describe his/her personality, but you're completely free to use any format you want for the reference sheet.

@Vegedus:
Hmm. I see your point. Very well, I'll drop the "setting" from the SOCBL description.

XD True. I think we should worry about restarting at a later date, tho'. Maybe vote for/against it after a year...

So, you believe we should judge with these priorities:
2) Effort,
...right?

Also - points. How should we award them? How about:
1-3 for visual appeal (drawing quality),
0-2 for coloring/shading,
0-5 for creativity/story & effort; ?
Basically, 1-10 points obtainable per duel.
<EDIT:>
Or should that be:
1-5 for creativity & story,
0-3 for effort,
0-2 for visual appeal; ?

Postby Vegedus » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:46 am

Black wrote:So, you believe we should judge with these priorities:
2) Effort,
...right?

Yup. I don't care much about specific points. There might be other factors as well affecting how many points you should get. But I don't care particularly much about it. I think I've bullied enough of my opinions into this to be content :D

Postby Black » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:54 am

Okay, I'll add the judging criteria to the 1st post.
I guess we should simply let it be 1 to 10 points, without complicating it unneccessarily with explicitly specified point awards, huh?

Postby Black » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:51 am

Well, yeah, almost like that - except that you should also state his powers/abilities.

Postby mykie274143 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:06 am

Keh!? A battle league? Would it be okay to use old reference sheets since most of us are too lazy to make a new one? xD

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8467 ... cebybl.jpg

Oh and hey black Long time no see.

Postby Vegedus » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:06 pm

I would think so. Loose rules and stuff.

Postby Mathias » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:43 am

We have to draw the fights ourselves? :(
I no has talents.

Postby Vegedus » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:08 am

Well duh. How else would it work? Good luck finding someone to draw it for you.

Postby Mathias » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:59 pm

I was under the impression that one person or a few would be illustrating it based on our character submissions. That they would determine what transpires.

Postby Deena » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:03 am

Math, it's pretty much standard in things like this to draw your own stuff. I don't believe there are any rules against partnerships yet, since they do happen, but it's rare, and both members are highly unlikely to follow through throughout the contest unless they frequently partner up for things.

Also, in my opinion, since it's a contest between people with the ability to create a new being through art, it seems a bit silly to enter if you're not willing to draw, at least to me personally.

Postby Mathias » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:31 am

I didn't know the details before becoming interested. Is there a certain level of skill required?

Postby Deena » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:35 am

Not at all. Of course, that doesn't mean you'll get very far if you don't put any visible effort into it. For example, if someone does a intricate, detailed comic, versus the opponent drawing a shoddy little MS paint stick figure doodle, I'm pretty sure the detailed comic would win. There are other factors to consider as well, such as the story within the piece and whatnot.

I'm just going to be a participant, so maybe one of the judges can explain it better.XD

Postby Black » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:57 am

OUR 1st LEAGUE MEMBER HAVE JUST JOINED!
Welcome to the Battle League, Mykie. I hope you'll enjoy your stay. Cookies are to the left, drawing supplies to the right.
It's okay to use the old reference sheets, don't worry.
ImageImage

You don't need any set "skill level" to join the League, but it's prefered to have at least some drawing skills. Drawing's not the only thing considered, tho'. Your creativity and storytelling's valued here, too. You can see the judging criteria in the 1st post under "Judging - what we value?". Also, you can team up with an artist as a script writer, if you want. You'll have to work together on that character in every battle in that case, tho'. But you could both have your own seperate characters as well, if you want.

Postby Mathias » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:47 pm

I just realized I don't have a scanner. :|

Postby visi » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:31 pm

thomas is a nerd

Next

Return to Art