Snafu O.C.T.: And The Winner Is...

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Snafu O.C.T.: And The Winner Is...

Postby Chuckledarkly » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:44 am

ZOMG REALLY!!???? <bit sarcastic not due to any lack of ability in meho's comics but rather the preconceived ideas that people had at the beginning of the oct.

but really gratz and all that and love both the comics hoora! it was a great year. =3
Check Out My Art

-----> viewtopic.php?t=23012Cheak <-----

Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.
Proud Member of BEOS

Postby mykie274143 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:56 am

Pwnt, and thus Zega's effort was rewarded. GJ. Both of you, t'was epic. XD

Postby Mehoaido » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:03 am

Oh that was pretty fast ôo
Gratz Al on the Victory *bows*
Though I'd like to see the criteria for winning. You know, learning from mistakes and all.
It's not enough to have no thoughts.
You gotta be unable to express them.

My Art thread

Postby MonoCeru » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:52 am

Congratulations Zega! *applause*

I second the criteria. I want to know judges' thoughts about the entries. =u=

Postby Vegedus » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Mehoaido wrote:Oh that was pretty fast ôo
Gratz Al on the Victory *bows*
Though I'd like to see the criteria for winning. You know, learning from mistakes and all.

Aha! I actually wrote a rather large body of text on my thoughts on both entries and how they compared. I could edit it a bit and post it for ya. However, I should note that since it wasn't originally meant for your eyes, so I haven't spend any additional time to focus on the positive and such as I do when I actually care for people's feelings.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Mehoaido » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:06 pm

Thanks Veg
I'd appreciate it~

My Art thread

Postby Vegedus » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:15 pm

I'd stress that the main flaw of both comics, is ultimately being rushed. Not in terms of art (that's easily forgiveable), but in the number of comics. Both would have improved immensely with more pages to round them out. I definitely don't blame either of you for not making that many, but the comics would definitely have been a lot better for it. I can only speculate how many of the misc problems would have ironed if not for deadlines. But alas, those are the circumstances.

Anyways, original PM below.

"While the comics were similar in ending, they weren't too similar in progress. Meho's consisted of a couple of pages for exposition of the breakthrough and set up to the fight, a lot of pure action pages, and a quick ending. Zega, on the other hand, spent many more pages on plot and gags (almost ironic considering his character). Being of same length, his fight ends up rather short. Oddly predictably, I find that Meho's fight works better than Zega's and Zega's plot progression works better Meho's. I can imagine that they'd have balanced it out, had they made 10 more pages.

Anyways, you can't really weight plot and humor against action in a meaningful way, so it's more relevant to see how well they each do in their respective categories. Meho's plot goes for drama, but ends up a being a bit rushed, giving it a somewhat shallow impact. For instance, it's mentioned that the breakthrough is a time portal made from a restricted spell and Nereid is clearly shaken by it, but it isn't given time to sink in, and it isn't communicated clearly what's SO bad about either. The classic 'motivation by memories' scene at page 13 also falls a little flat because it doesn't actually seem to be her motivation afterwards, but rather a will to destroy the abomination. It also seems weird she's thinking of Erol when she's married...

On to the fight, Meho's is quite with varied attacks, ping pongs between the combatants and a generally rising tension. It's not without a couple of flaws, though. Especially, I find the avatar a cool, but a bit unsatisfying end to the battle. Nereid implies that it might kill her, but it ends up being just an overwhelming power that she controls at no real expense, making me wonder why she didn't just use it to begin with. In essence, it seems quite overpowered.

Zega, as mentioned, spends a lot of pages on set up and oddly enough almost more time on Meho's character than on his own, which I dunno is good or not. I laughed out loud a couple of times, which speaks to the quality of the humor. There's also a good amount of characterisation of SRS BSNS Nereid and Goofy yet Cruel Nemathu... whatever. I really like the fade in to the fight (page 10). Nerma goes from a bishounen pervy guy to a monster in a split second. There's a couple of spot where the dialogues is sorta awkward The real problem is there's no fight to speak of. She punches him, he bites her, she unleashes ultimate attack. The ultimate attack doesn't seem that climatic when there isn't much building up to it. The "mouth attack from the ground" was also used in the last battle, which is a bit uncreative.

The ending of the two comics is virtually the same, except that Zega's has the twist that Nema still "won" even though he was killed. I like that twist, as it ends both characters' stories nicely.

To draw it all together, I think Zega has a slightly better script, but they excel in different ways.

Effort-wise, they both did a commendable effort. I don't doubt in the slightest they've been busy. Even if Meho's isn't inked, it's still relatively clean and thoroughly worked. Zega's still definitely take the crown, though. It's inked, it's more detailed, and while both don't make much use of backgrounds, Zega makes good use of the white space in a couple of places (page 08, last panel, for instance). Artists are lazy bastards by nature and purpose, so making the laziness work for you gets you extra points in my book. The first two pages also have absolutely killer inking.

Lastly, I'd say that Zega's visual quality, even discounting inking, is a bit higher than Meho's as well. However, I am quite biased towards Zega's kind of style (or even his style in particular), so I won't put any weight on that.

So, yeah, I vote for Zega and Nemarghuteh too."

Zega wrote to me first and voted for Zega, and none of this changed his mind, so we reached a conclusion quickly.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Mehoaido » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks a lot Veg

It's right it seems weird that she thinks about erol, when she's married, but she's not thinking about him in "that" way, he's still a person she likes, because she always looked out for him in the univerity

Also that Avatar thing gave me quite a headache,
because it was supposed to wear her out a lot, but I still wanted her to save Erol.

But in the end: Yeah it would've been better if I did 10 more pages XD

My Art thread

Postby Black » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Zega wrote to me first and voted for Zega, and none of this changed his mind, so we reached a conclusion quickly.

He meant "Black wrote to me 1st", just ignore his typo XD .
Sorry I didn't post that earlier, it was almost 1 am when I got online, so I just thought I'd inform you of our decision. I was actually planning on posting Veg's PM, but I see he saved me the trouble XD .
Click to visit my art thread.

Postby Zega » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:58 pm

damn... i won! great!
i want to contratulate too with Meho, yo did a great job dude, seriously!

aaanyway... then... i have to choose two commissions right?.. hmm...
damn... im such an empty mind... lets see...

how about a Shoi's and Aneri's version of that character of mine: Enri.
argh! i will post a picture of her later, i dont have one right now. anyway, thank you everyone!!!!!!!!

Postby Black » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:31 pm

Well, since you haven't posted the reference pics yet, I thought I'd help you. So, here are drawings/images of Enri taken from Zega's Art Thread:
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3421 ... ne0023.jpg
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9813 ... ne0026.jpg
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1865 ... ne0034.jpg
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7056/l ... mortem.jpg
http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image= ... ne0050.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6085 ... enri01.jpg

I've PM'd Shoi and Aneri about your choice. You might have to wait a while 'till Aneri gets the message, tho'. She haven't been on Snafu since 10th september (or at least her profile says so) and she seems to visit Snafu rarely nowdays (like, once or twice a month or so).

@Mehoaido:
Guess you're stuck with a commission from me as a consolation prize. So... What would you like?

Postby Mehoaido » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:57 pm

Right
Uhm...
You do a 3d Comission right?
I have this Airship concept that I could use a 3d model of.
I'll send you a reference pic later.

My Art thread

Postby Black » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:06 am

Uh... Actually, I don't do 3D models, only "3D-styled" images. That means - a 2D image made in "Power Point 2003" made to look like it's 3D. Sorry about the confusion. You still want the seemingly-3D image?

Postby Mehoaido » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:58 pm

My Art thread

Previous

Return to Art