Iris' Warhammer "art"

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Iris » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:30 am

After a rather lengthy delay, I've managed to finish the first member of my squad.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Postby Fummo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:09 am

I'm going to collect WarHammer Fantasy. Empire!

Postby Iris » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:58 am

Hey nice, I'm currently doing a daemon army in fantasy.
Just because they are kick ass, though you empire have lots of guns that cause much hurt to me....

Postby Fummo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:39 am

Yeah I'm gonna get a Steam Tank..omg

Re: Iris' Warhammer "art"

Postby Iris » Fri May 28, 2010 10:46 am

A massive rivial, my ability to take photos hasn't really improved (maybe I should take photography course!) but I hope I can show that I've improved my painting skills.
Edit: Click on the images for greater details.

Image Image
Image Image

First time I've done a freehand design, the white fist took alot of attempts on a tile before I dared to put it on my force commander (not sure if you can see but it's missing a finger due to the backpack being in the way, however the thumb came out very well.) as well as making use of several wash techniques to make the armour look darker and the cape more realistic.

I was a bit dissapointed with the actual powerfist as well as the attempt at painting letters. But I'll be working on that.
Next project is my Chaos Vindicator.
Last edited by Iris on Fri May 28, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby Asmodai » Fri May 28, 2010 12:25 pm

holy crap dude! You're good O:
Mephobiac

Postby Lemon » Fri May 28, 2010 1:18 pm

Nice, good detail on the force commander. Did you intentionally make the kneels different?

Postby Iris » Fri May 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Yep, originally I was planning on adding IV on that knee pad but letters aren't my strong point so I kept screwing it up so I decided to leave it as it was.

Postby Iris » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:55 am

I've finally decided to try my hand at making my own Sigs, I've always had the pleasure of Asmodai making mine when he had the free time.
First time using GIMP, so I must admit I was looking through a lot of tutorials before finishing this.

Postby Iris » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:46 am

Been working on a model to represent one of my RP characters; Arkamund Van Holt. This is one of the first times I've managed to paint skin but in retrospect I need to remember to water down my paints more often.

I might reupload these pictures when I've better light....and if I've managed to take a photography class because I still suck at this haha. (I can't actually recall how I did those thumb icons right now... will alter that when I remember.)

Side view
Back view
Side view 2
Front view
Close up

Postby Iris » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:10 pm

Time for an update... from the grave.... Any way click to view a large image. I'm quiet pleased with how the color scheme came out, I am admittedly still working on the base but the model itself is essentially completed.

Image Image
Image Image

Postby Lunatic Cyco » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:38 pm

I have to give it to you, you are one awesomely talented dude.
The first one's I saw were amazing, actually there were all amazing.

I don't know what Warhammer is actually, but that doesn't mean I can't like your Art.
Keep up the awesome work dude ;)
http://aldo0117.deviantart.com/
I'm looking for people willing to help me with my Art and stories. If you are interested then visit my DeviantArt and message me :) I don't visit this profile much but if you message me through here ill check on occasion.

Project Evolution
Aldo 0117 Xbox live

Postby Iris » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:11 am

An update from the grave. Click the images to enlarge.

Overall I'm very happy with this project.

Image Image
Image Image

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:26 am

I could never really keep a straight and neat painting outline when painting the miniatures. But man you have some skill. Out of curiosity, are they supposed to have the rusted effect? Do you usually sand the plastic before painting?

Postby Iris » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:22 am

Most days yes I do sand the plastic to make it smoothing and remove mold lines. The red armor is only highlighted (and it's a pain to highlight red, seriously, you have to go through several shades of red to get the base and then use orange to represent edges) the chains on the horse on the other hand do look rusted.

But overall the armor is meant to be worn out.

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:26 am

Otherwise it wouldn't be armor. Armor is never meant to be shiny. I guess I like shiny metal too much. xD I really love how you paint though. How many coats do you usually do?

Postby Iris » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:39 am

A side from the under coat it varies depending on the combination. The cape for example was two layers of different browns (watered down as well) before I added three whites ( each a different darkness). The armor on the rider was two dark reds, primary wash (brown) then highlighted with two light reds, secondary wash (watered down black wash) then highlighted the edges with orange before I lightened up small areas of the model the another red.

The horse's skull started off with an undercoat, brown as the primary base followed by two whites before I did a wash, then highlighted with another white.

It all depends on the situation but for this model I did a lot of layers/coats.

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:43 am

I think it's very fantastic Iris. :D I also have one more question, have you ever sculpted something entirely yourself without the store bought models in which you simply cut from the plastic sheets and glue together?

Postby Iris » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Normally I don't, I'm not very good with poses yet nor with sculpting. I do however sculpt things that are missing in my designs, for example the cape was sculpted, I also have done cloaks, hoods, hair and clothing but otherwise I try to use a base and try to use other bits from different plastic sets.

Over time I've collected a fair amount of 'bits' so I normally can substitute something down the line or just buy something entirely new.

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:08 pm

You do so very well. ;) I never actually learn't to do that. I only ever played with the armies and painted.

Oooh. Do also play the games? It's insane with how many dice you have to use sometimes. xD

Postby Iris » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:17 pm

Due to the time constraints I don't play that often any more, though when I do play I normally play with my Necrons. So the basic strategy is; Move and shoot.... just walk forward, soak up damage and then dish it back. What do you expect from a race of robots... Lots of fun though.

But it does involve a LOT of dice.

Previous

Return to Art