Blood Studios: Sith Lord (Outline)

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Blood Studios: Sith Lord (Outline)

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:34 pm

* (new sign coming soon)

Pretty self explanatory. This is my art thread, I deal mostly with traditional media and I am working into digital media using my Samsung Galaxy tablet and the drawing program on their, Sketchbook. My style tends to be more anime/manga focused with the intent to make it look more realistic and less toon-ish, much like the more serious animes are. Most of the art that will be posted here is from my DA account (which can be accessed below).

Always looking to improve and get better, so feedback is encouraged.

DA Account: http://blordy.deviantart.com/

Thread Contents
Last edited by Blood Lord on Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Re: Blood Studios.

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:38 pm

This is a bit of a older addition, I think it was published in early November. But it is the first colored picture I did using my Tablet.

I don't think it turned out bad, the shading sort of came off unintentionally broken like that, but the more I considered it, it looked like the light was coming through some sort of gradient. The thing I'm a bit bummed about with it, is that he looks happy, and the face could be more mistaken for face paint than a mask.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Re: Blood Studios: The Acolyte

Postby Sigmas » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:41 pm

I've always envied you a bit when it came to eyes. Looks so easy, yet I'm stuck with simpler styles right now.

Oh, well... Anyway, this looks great Blood. Glad to see you getting back into art again.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Re: Blood Studios: The Acolyte

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:10 am

Thanks. Eyes are actually quite easy, and very fun once you get the hang of them. Unlike hands. >:[

You'll be making fantastic eyes in no time, Sig.

This is one that I did today. I tried to mimic subtractive drawing on my tablet, partially inspired by some of the art work that Jesturr does.

Subtractive drawing is starting with a black background and using the eraser to draw. It's different because you aren't building anything, you're erasing the image into being. It's like sculpting. You can't really add to sculpting, you chip away slowly at it. Anyways, this was frustrating as hell to try and do, took a dozen attempts and two hours. I don't think I'll pursue much of this, but I have heard that truly great drawing is a combination of the addition and subtractive drawing skills.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Re: Blood Studios: Subtractive Drawing Attempt.

Postby Tuor » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:33 am

I really like the hooded character, it looks awesome! Aside from the mask and eyes, I think you did a really nice job with making the hood fall like a real hood
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Grieffon » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:29 am

Oh boy, digital painting fresh meat. This should be fun.

First thing first: avoid pure black and pure white. They both look unnatural (as both are rarely seen irl, especially pure black), and may mess with the way you see colors. Save white for highlight on really glossy metal like chrome. As for black, since there's almost always some kind of diffused light, I really can't think of any use for black other than lines. If you want a simple background, dark grey is enough.

Second thing: Muddy colors. Something I suggest to give a try: use hard brush instead of air brush, and set a minimum opacity (not sure if Sketchbook can do that), or even just use 100% opaque.

Blood Lord wrote: I don't think I'll pursue much of this, but I have heard that truly great drawing is a combination of the addition and subtractive drawing skills.

Nah. There's no right or wrong way to do art, only ways that work for you and ways that don't. Just experiment, keep what works, and discard what doesn't.

I'm still in the middle of finals, so at the end of the week I can talk a bit more.

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:42 pm

It's all really nice, I like the hooded guy but I think he should be a bit darker. It's good for colors to stand out, but since being in the shadows seems to be most of the point in that one, maybe be careful with what parts you alight.

I like the subtractive drawing picture, but maybe lake the white less bright. It's draw good but a bit messy.

Weeee! artz~ 8D
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:07 am

Thanks guys. I'll take you feed back to heart and see what I can do with it.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Re: Blood Studios: WIP Lord

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:32 pm

This is just something I've been working on for the past few weeks. I'm in the middle of relearning how to draw the body, it's a Bitch.

This drawing was 1 in 100 that I liked, but it also got support from several pictures to help fashion it. I am at a crossroads of how or why to finish it. for starts, it isn't 100% original, an Amon poster from legend of Korra helped me with that (the pose), the bottom has some assassin heritage, and the top armor is actually inspired by Darth Caedus.

As for finishing it, it might be a Sith Lord or Amon if he won in LoK and ruled somewhere. I haven't decided and the final designs might look too similar for comfort.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigmas » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Oh, yeah. I remember seeing this on your DeviantArt page. Looking forward to seeing the finished version!

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Jesturr » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:33 pm

Welcome back Blord! Glad to see you drawing again. :'D
I really like that mask drawing! The design on it looks really cool

It probably looks like he's smiling because the eyes are so bright, it looks more like facepaint and less like a mask, so it comes off as him smiling instead of his mask. Like what Grieffon said, stick to a more solid brush when it comes to coloring, it'll help define shapes more

Hmmm... I think you can separate the layers (ie hood, mask, face) if you added more defined shadows
Your entire mask is kind of the same darkness, separating which part is under the hood and which part isn't should help push the face back

Likewise, because the eyes aren't smack dab into the eye holes, darkening them should push the face out of the mask and make the mask smiling, instead of him (though he could still be smiling under that mask, you never know D:)

Although I have had to sacrifice his beautiful eyes ;;
Bagel Eater

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:09 am

ii dont kow if thatg makes me want to tri again or stopp hmmm
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:17 am

Wow that thing looks cool. It did remind me of Amon or an assassin when I saw it but the armour reminds me of the new earth empire armour from the new season. I think the cape needs to be more flowy though, right now it looks a little stiff. Really cool look this guy has.
2014. A shitty fucking year!
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Jesturr » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:09 am

Lol, don't stop! No one ever improved by stopping

Actually you'd be surprised how little I had to do for that repaint, you had all the shapes and forms down and almost all the colors I needed on already, it was only a matter of cleaning it up! You got this, Blood :U
Bagel Eater

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:46 pm

I'll look to revising it in the future then.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Re: Blood Studios: Sith Lord (Outline)

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:50 pm

I love Sith Lords. The whole motif of red and black, the Empires, power... not that big of a fan of the cosmetic alteration of the dark side, but it sure as hell bets Jedi dental. Nearly every time I played KotoR (1 and 2), I became a Sith Lord, and I was an unstoppable beast of destruction. And the dark ending to the first game was so much better when you were evil. Infinite Fleet.

That being said, this is a outline of my Sith Lord. There are a few modifications I'm going to do to the hands, like reposition the fingers on that right hand (I sure as hell can't bend my pinkie like that), and make the left one with the lightsaber look less square.

I'm putting this up now as it is because I can't figure out the coloring. There is going to be two light sources, and my black makes the cape look flat. I don't know how to handle the two light sources. The primary is going to be a light coming from his right, and the secondary source is going to be the red lightsaber. I need to learn some more before I attempt this.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Jesturr » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Daaaaang :0 That pose! And I love what you did to the cape

Lol, I know how it feels to be stumped by coloring, trust me xD The best way to go about it is to dive straight in and color it! No fear >:V
Bagel Eater

Postby Eggnog » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Wow, these are great Blord! Keep up the good work dude. I believe in ya!

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
Hail to the Huevo
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Now that cape looks bad ass. Also, when a character is wearing a a mask and needs to look ominous you should definitely black out the eyes but another way to make a character look emotionless without feeling is to take the light out of their eyes. Those baby blue eyes just look too cute and friendly.
2014. A shitty fucking year!
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Sigmas » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:51 pm

Whew, this looks awesome! I'm with Jes; that cape looks fantastic. Great job so far, Blood.

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:00 pm

So thick and cool! My pictures always seem to look 2-D. >.>

Proper shading can make the hands look right. But that type is also quite time consuming.

Also in the future, try and find a way to make lines thinner. It can make a whole picture look a lot more elegant, and as if it's a real screenshot of something.

As for coloring, practice lots of stuff digitally, if you can get the hang of the right thing, it makes everything a lot easier. Look at the style of pictures you like and maybe find some pre-done lineart to practice coloring on.
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Return to Art